Page 292 of 428 FirstFirst ... 192242282288289290291292293294295296302342392 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,840 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

I think my favorite approach to Miracles is the 1mpulse approach: 2 Teeg come in out of the board, 2 Libraries maindeck for CA, SoFaI and SoLaS (don't underestimate Light and Shadow in this matchup, protection from StP is huge; not to mention buffing small creatures or EOT fetched Dryad Arbors that have previously been terminused), and 2 Abrupt Decays out of SB for CB.

An argument could be made for Banishing Light as well, but I think that might be going a little overboard.

A lot of good tips, thanks guys!

My play area is pretty miracles dense. All the versions I've seen so far are the ponder builds, which makes my life a bit easier (no karakas, thank god).

I am not convinced that boarding in abrupt decay is always correct. From the miracle people that I've spoken to, they argue that:

1) Since a GWb deck usually have abrupt decays (main and/or board), counterbalance loses value. It is not uncommon that they board at least some of them out to ensure that abrupt decay has no target. Having decay for only snapcaster seems weak. I agree that a deck with abrupt decay is better suited game1 against miracles than a build without.
    2) GSZ can (easily) sneak in a creature under CB, just increase the X to lets say 3. Again, it is not a reliable lock.

In game 2/3 the miracle player most likely board in artifact removal (disenchant or wear/tear) to deal with equipments, so banishing light/oblivion ring doesn't seem that impressive.

For my experience it's very important to keep fetchlands in play. Can be really hard to handle for the miracle player if you have a sword in play (fetch arbor EOT after a terminus, equipping with a sword and kill Jace). I also find that you need to mulligan til you more or less have the lock in hand - we can't afford to go to turn 4-5 with an active top in play.

I've changed my list now to 3 equipment main, and actually cutting abrupt decays from the main.

*edit*

I guess if you are really dedicating your board to fight miracles, Bitterblossom seems insane. Hits the table early, and if uncontested - a real bomb. I wonder if it's too narrow though.

It's not a knockout, but Bitterblossom does work against Lands as well. It'll brick wall Marit Lage, and taxes their P Fires and Mazes. For a match up that is already just terrible, it's not the worst card to have.

I've also had okay results vs. Shardless with it.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

The keys to this matchup are Needle, Teeg, Arbor, and protection. Safekeeper is best but mom is good in addition. Teeg locks them out so strap SoLaS to him and do not attack with him. Getting ambush vipered seems bad.

Mar 2009

Our boy 1mpulse is 11-2 in the SCG Invi and is currently being featured vs Reid Duke.

Never tell me the odds.
    Jan 2010
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    Our boy 1mpulse is 11-2 in the SCG Invi and is currently being featured vs Reid Duke.
    Game 3 was pretty frustrating. Somehow, the third Teeg I have in the board didn't get boarded in, probably due to the time issue, and that costed me not only the match, but an invitational top 8 as well.

Jan 2015
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by 1mpulse View Post
    Game 3 was pretty frustrating. Somehow, the third Teeg I have in the board didn't get boarded in, probably due to the time issue, and that costed me not only the match, but an invitational top 8 as well.
    Congrats on the solid run though!

It was great to watch Maverick on camera as it feels massively underrepresented in video coverage lately.

Mar 2009

What were your other legacy matchups besides miracles?

Apr 2014
    Southern California

Can you show us your deck list?

Apr 2014
    Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by hartigan View Post
    Congrats on the solid run though!

It was great to watch Maverick on camera as it feels massively underrepresented in video coverage lately.
    Legacy video coverage has been massively underrepresented in general.

Jan 2015
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by DudeItsCorey View Post
    Legacy video coverage has been massively underrepresented in general.
    Very true, SCG's decision about the open series was a disappointing one and I'm still pretty confused by it.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

To be fair, it's not exactly like Maverick is a DTB.

Very true, SCG's decision about the open series was a disappointing one and I'm still pretty confused by it.
    I mean, honestly, how fucking hard would it be to swap to Legacy coverage once the Standard top 8 is finished?

Jan 2015
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    To be fair, it's not exactly like Maverick is a DTB.
    True, but there are still people playing it and it's not completely off the map, but yes it's lost a lot of it's former glory. I almost exclusively stream Legacy Maverick and I get a lot of messages in chat along the lines of "people still play Maverick?" or "why are you playing Maverick?", the second of the two being interesting as the deck usually performs quite well which would be why I am playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    I mean, honestly, how fucking hard would it be to swap to Legacy coverage once the Standard top 8 is finished?
    Probably not hard, but I couldn't ever see them doing that. I am more confused because the announcement that they were cutting back on Legacy coverage came after Grand Prix NJ which was a highly anticipated and EXTREMELY viewed Grand Prix that showcased how popular the format was. SCG opens had always been a great force for Legacy deck development and it was always interesting to see innovations people were making and how the games played out, now all I can get is deck lists from the IQ's that happen in the background of these mini Standard GPs, and you really have to read into the lists or find the people who made them posting on forums to learn about their decisions or tech. All in all the change was a major bummer for me.

Never tell me the odds.
    Jan 2010
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    What were your other legacy matchups besides miracles?
    Round 4: BUG Delver (Ross Ross Merriam) 0-2
    Round 5: Elves 2-0
    Round 6: Storm 2-0
    Round 7: Infect 2-0

Round 13: Sneak and Show 2-1
    Round 14: Miracles (Reid Duke) 1-2
    Round 15: Infect (Todd Anderson) 0-2
    Round 16: ID

Can you show us your deck list?
    I am playing the same list I have for quite awhile now.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

True, but there are still people playing it and it's not completely off the map, but yes it's lost a lot of it's former glory. I almost exclusively stream Legacy Maverick and I get a lot of messages in chat along the lines of "people still play Maverick?" or "why are you playing Maverick?", the second of the two being interesting as the deck usually performs quite well which would be why I am playing it.
    I've run into a lot of GWb creature decks with GSZ both in person and online in the past month or so. At least two of these were Legacy ports of the Modern Junk deck, so I'm not sure if it's technically "Maverick", but I do think the deck is fairly well positioned now with BUG Delver being popular, successful, a favorable matchup for you, and holding fast combo down. As someone who plays mostly BUG and Grixis, I really hate playing against Maverick.

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Because I haven't played competitive legacy in a while, how (if at all) are players with recent success adjusting play to blue in the meta? Specifically, is Dig Through Time being approached at in the same manner as the now-banned Treasure Cruise? Are you finding stifle is something to play around? There's a lot of RUG, BUG, UWR, Grixis, and Omnitell running these cards.

Apr 2014
    Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    Because I haven't played competitive legacy in a while, how (if at all) are players with recent success adjusting play to blue in the meta? Specifically, is Dig Through Time being approached at in the same manner as the now-banned Treasure Cruise? Are you finding stifle is something to play around? There's a lot of RUG, BUG, UWR, Grixis, and Omnitell running these cards.
    Choke for all matchups, except if the BUG/Grixis is more heavy black with like creep tar pit. With all Delver Match-ups Maze of Ith has worked very well for me as a quasi-removal for their fliers that I have to wait to shoot down with Jitte, SoFi, Swords to Plowshare, Abrupt Decay. Scouting always helps, but yes you should try to play around stifle. I only really see it in RUG and sometimes in various BUG Delver decks. I feel like our deck can stumble pretty hard on mana and avoiding the stifle/wasteland lock is helpful, which is why I play 3 basics (along with avoiding being price or progressed)

RUG - Scavenging Ooze (the all star), fetch SoFi over Jitte, Toxic Deluge (If you're able to wipe the board and then drop a Knight, you've pretty much have won the game).
    BUG/Grixis - Scavenging Ooze (against Goyf), Karakas (for Tasigur), Sigarda (they just can't beat her), Toxic Deluge, 2x Sylvan Library really helps with the super grindy match-ups
    UWR - Qasali, Toxic Deluge, Sigarda (Jace can't deal), fetch SoFi over Jitte, Abrupt Decay, Sylvan Library
    Omnitell - Thalia, Gaddock Teeg, Ethersworn Canonist, Thoughtseize

You pretty much have to play around Dig as though it were Brainstorm. Just acknowledge that they're going to be more consistent than you and slam the right bears.

I'm still not seeing a lot of Stifle locally, but Wasteland is back in a big way. There's a constant tension for us between playing basics, and black sources for Abrupt Decay. I tend to err on the side of basics, and keep a 4/2 split of Swords to Plowshares and Decays in the main. Yeah, it's light on black sources, but Deathrite picks up a lot of slack.

Aug 2014
    Central New York

If I go to SCG: Cuse (see - Easter), I'm looking at bringing a more vanilla list with...

3 Thoughtseize
    1 Teeg #2
    2 Canonist......elves, omni, decks reliant upon blue cantrips
    6 "removal"....[2 Decay + 2 Toxic + 2 Zealous] or something similar involving PTE

3 Flex.....[2 Containment Priest + Krosan Grip] or [3 Choke] or something similar involving WLL / Banishing Light

Part of me wants to just go NO in the main because random progenitus/ruric thar is a thing.

@DudeitsCorey & @Cambriel - thanks a ton that helps refresh me a bunch

I would feel pretty uncomfortable without Decay in the main these days. I usually shave a Sylvan Library and a Pridemage for them, and move at least the Library to the board. There are just too many times where I *need* to kill a permanent (SFM, Delver, Counterbalance, Chalice) and don't have time to worry about if they can Dig for Force + blue card.

They occasionally come out game 2 in exchange for more effective removal (they're an easy swap for ZP, for example), but I never really regret seeing them game 1. There's almost always a target. Even Burn plays Eidolons.

Thread Information