Page 337 of 428 FirstFirst ... 237287327333334335336337338339340341347387 ... LastLast
Results 6,721 to 6,740 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Neeley, any thoughts to boil over choke in that match up? It comes down later, but instant speed surprise is nice, and they can't undo it with a decay. Maybe just straight up blood moon from the red versions? Boil is nice against miracles too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Neeley, any thoughts to boil over choke in that match up? It comes down later, but instant speed surprise is nice, and they can't undo it with a decay. Maybe just straight up blood moon from the red versions? Boil is nice against miracles too.
    I assume you are talking about Punishing Maverick? So I think boil is worth a spot, I tried 2 winter orbs in the board and wasn't impressed. I think a 1/1 split between choke and boil would be good and will probably try it in the next league I play. I don't think blood moon is the right fit in the deck. I do believe G/W/b is the best version and Thalia trumps punishing fire.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

My buddy whom has played Maverick maybe twice before 4-0'd tonight with my deck. He said new Thalia is insane. I think Maverick has pretty solid positioning in the meta currently. Sadly right after I get the fun of tireless tracker new Thalia comes in and takes over
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

My buddy whom has played Maverick maybe twice before 4-0'd tonight with my deck. He said new Thalia is insane. I think Maverick has pretty solid positioning in the meta currently. Sadly right after I get the fun of tireless tracker new Thalia comes in and takes over
    Sorry, but I think the last list you posted didn't have new Thalia. Can you share the new list?
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Again, probably better off being black with decay, but the red does provide some interesting options. I also think a straight GW version may be viable again

4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Mother of Runes
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Scryb Ranger
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Ajani Vengeant

2 Savannah
    2 Taiga
    1 Plateau
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Wooded Foothills
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    4 Wasteland
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Rogues Passage
    1 Dryad Arbor

SB:
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Electrickery
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Boil
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    3 Faerie Macabre

NEELEY,

I've started trading into Maverick as my first legacy deck and I actually did a physical fist pump when I saw your deck on mtgtop8 once again. I've made an account to ask a dumb question and to share my list. First the list (pretty stock stuff from reading here and researching for months:

Creatures:26
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Mother of Runes
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    1 Tireless Tracker

Spells:12
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Lands:22
    2 Bayou
    2 Forest
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    2 Plains
    2 Savannah
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:15
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Melira, Sylvok Outcast
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Reclamation Sage
    4 Thoughtseize
    1 Abrupt Decay
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Choke
    1 Bojuka Bog

And the dumb question... I noticed your list doesn't run the new Thalia. Is she not available on Magic Online or do you just not run her? Also, another dumb question. I'd really like to run Titania as a singleton, but is that just too cute?

Finally, if anyone has any critique of my list, please let me know. I'll be playing against friends on infect, burn, candleless high tide and at a local shop with an unknown small meta.

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Vervandi View Post
    NEELEY,

I've started trading into Maverick as my first legacy deck and I actually did a physical fist pump when I saw your deck on mtgtop8 once again. I've made an account to ask a dumb question and to share my list. First the list (pretty stock stuff from reading here and researching for months:

List

And the dumb question... I noticed your list doesn't run the new Thalia. Is she not available on Magic Online or do you just not run her? Also, another dumb question. I'd really like to run Titania as a singleton, but is that just too cute?

Finally, if anyone has any critique of my list, please let me know. I'll be playing against friends on infect, burn, candleless high tide and at a local shop with an unknown small meta.
    Main: Hierarch is generally superior to Birds in GWb. 2nd basic Plains is also unnecessary, unless you're concerned about the Burn deck (Canopy or Cavern is probably ideal here in a vaccuum).

Side: Bojuka Bog is a bit weak unless you're also playing Crop Rotation. Run Surgical Extraction or RIP instead. If Burn is a concern run Duress instead of Thoughtseize.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post
    Main: Hierarch is generally superior to Birds in GWb. 2nd basic Plains is also unnecessary, unless you're concerned about the Burn deck (Canopy or Cavern is probably ideal here in a vaccuum).

Side: Bojuka Bog is a bit weak unless you're also playing Crop Rotation. Run Surgical Extraction or RIP instead. If Burn is a concern run Duress instead of Thoughtseize.
    I thought birds would be better to produce black and hold a sword? Are the DRS and the lands enough to hit black, especially after sideboard?

I want that plains to eventually become a Canopy, but I'd like to wait until it is reprinted in a supplement set. I do have Cavern I could slot it in now if that would be better.

Wouldn't either surgical extraction / RIP be harder to find than bog since at least KOTR can search for it?

Good point about Duress / Thoughtseize. If you've played legacy for a while, do you find that duress hits most everything that Thoughtseize would have been hitting anyway?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I thought birds would be better to produce black and hold a sword? Are the DRS and the lands enough to hit black, especially after sideboard?

I want that plains to eventually become a Canopy, but I'd like to wait until it is reprinted in a supplement set. I do have Cavern I could slot it in now if that would be better.

Wouldn't either surgical extraction / RIP be harder to find than bog since at least KOTR can search for it?

Good point about Duress / Thoughtseize. If you've played legacy for a while, do you find that duress hits most everything that Thoughtseize would have been hitting anyway?
    Your list is pretty light on black spells so the added benefit of exalted is pretty good, especially with Thalia. Bog with active knight is fine, but that is turn 3 at the earliest. Which against many of the graveyard stategies is really really slow. Rotation turns it into a possible turn 1 play. Duress/TS are coming in generally against combo and maybe control a bit, where those matches 95% of the time you're taking a non creature. So having an extra healing salve against burn is pretty nice

Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Birds is situationally better for the reasons you mention, but Hierarch is generally better due to the Exalted trigger and also being able to attack by itself. If you really want to run Birds you can do a 3 DRS/1 Hierarch/1 Birds split.

You're a little light on grave hate as is (just 4 DRS, 1 Ooze, and 1 SB slot), so I'd consider dedicating an extra SB slot to GY hate. That way you can run 2 of whatever GY hate card and you'll be more likely to draw it. Other thing to try is cutting the 2nd Canonist for E-Tutor and play just 1 RIP you can tutor for. There are lots of different ways you can build your SB with this deck.

Looking at your list again I notice you have 2 Bayous instead of the usual 1 Bayou-1 Scrubland split. 4 fetchable White sources is a good number, so if you're going to stay on 2 Bayou I think the 3rd Savannah might be a better switch for the 2nd basic Plains. 2 fetchable Black sources is enough for your list as is, going up to 3 is only warranted if you're playing multiple copies of Decay in the 75.

Your list is pretty light on black spells so the added benefit of exalted is pretty good, especially with Thalia. Bog with active knight is fine, but that is turn 3 at the earliest. Which against many of the graveyard stategies is really really slow. Rotation turns it into a possible turn 1 play. Duress/TS are coming in generally against combo and maybe control a bit, where those matches 95% of the time you're taking a non creature. So having an extra healing salve against burn is pretty nice
    Agreed that discard is almost never pointed at creatures when playing this deck...I'm honestly baffled by the near universal adoption of Thoughtseize over Duress, as the life loss can be relevant.

My thanks to both of you.

I really like the idea of the Enlightened Tutor / RIP combo in the board because E. Tutor can find other things as well. I guess it is kinda like a psuedo SFM in a way. (Oh my god, I just realized it fetches Cannonist, man the little things that can be done with this deck!)

EDIT: I just remembered something about RIP. Would that be bad with KOTR? Would Wheel of Sun and Moon be better here?

The reason I wanted to go 2 Bayou, 2 Savannah over 1 Bayou, 1 Scrubland , 2 savannah is because I actually own a bayou, and the 8 fetches. So it saves me money to buy a Bayou instead of a Scrubland and 4 verdant catacombs and the mana base seems pretty similar.

What would be your opinions on Savannah vs Horizon Canopy for that plains replacement down the road? Would Savannah being fetchable be more important than the cantrip?

I'm going to take your advice on the Noble Hierarch over BOP. With the pridemages it seems like you could almost have a little exalted subtheme going on, for what it is worth, not to mention, it probably feels better drawing a hierarch late game than it does a bird to either suit up or grant exalted to something else.

I'll definitely try the duress over thoughtseize.

One last question...I had mentioned Titania earlier. Is that just too cute / expensive for this deck? I think I am a little hung up on her interactions with so many other things in the deck, but maybe she is better in something like nic fit? Is she totally unplayable here?

Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

My thanks to both of you.

I really like the idea of the Enlightened Tutor / RIP combo in the board because E. Tutor can find other things as well. I guess it is kinda like a psuedo SFM in a way. (Oh my god, I just realized it fetches Cannonist, man the little things that can be done with this deck!)

EDIT: I just remembered something about RIP. Would that be bad with KOTR? Would Wheel of Sun and Moon be better here?

The reason I wanted to go 2 Bayou, 2 Savannah over 1 Bayou, 1 Scrubland , 2 savannah is because I actually own a bayou, and the 8 fetches. So it saves me money to buy a Bayou instead of a Scrubland and 4 verdant catacombs and the mana base seems pretty similar.

What would be your opinions on Savannah vs Horizon Canopy for that plains replacement down the road? Would Savannah being fetchable be more important than the cantrip?

I'm going to take your advice on the Noble Hierarch over BOP. With the pridemages it seems like you could almost have a little exalted subtheme going on, for what it is worth, not to mention, it probably feels better drawing a hierarch late game than it does a bird to either suit up or grant exalted to something else.

I'll definitely try the duress over thoughtseize.

One last question...I had mentioned Titania earlier. Is that just too cute / expensive for this deck? I think I am a little hung up on her interactions with so many other things in the deck, but maybe she is better in something like nic fit? Is she totally unplayable here?
    If this is where you're at right now, I wouldn't worry about the manabase stuff too much. The best thing for you to be doing is sleeving up the deck and playing games with it, not trying to eek out small percentage points of consistency, that stuff can wait.

RIP hurts us a little, but hurts the decks we bring it in against much more (Reanimator, Dredge, Lands, even fair decks like Shardless/Team America BUG & Canadian Thresh). Sure, Deathrite Shaman becomes Squire and Knight becomes Gray Ogre, but our deck still functions through it. Knight has plenty of utility tutoring up lands, and Exalted + Equips + Mother mean your men are still good in combat. Exalted beats are a very real thing and win many games. I miss playing all 4 Hierarchs a lot because of this.

I've never played Titania in Maverick, but I'll say that I've never wanted a 5-drop bomb in the deck. This topic gets discussed ad nauseam every few pages so you can go back and find stuff on it.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I've played Titania before. She's meh. I never wanted to green Sun for her. Sigarda has been sick though

NEELEY,

Creatures:26
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Mother of Runes
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    1 Tireless Tracker

Spells:12
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Lands:22
    2 Bayou
    2 Forest
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    2 Plains
    2 Savannah
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:15
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Melira, Sylvok Outcast
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Reclamation Sage
    4 Thoughtseize
    1 Abrupt Decay
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Choke
    1 Bojuka Bog

I took a little break from Maverick and have been playing a lot of Loam lately, not putting very many 5-0's with, only 1 i think. But now I have played maverick the last couple weeks and doing very well with, in a league currently sitting 2-0. People consider Maverick a fringe deck on MTGO because of miracles being good vs the deck. They even say things like "man people will play anything in legacy, even when its position terribly", I just laugh.

I don't see the point of the new Thalia and haven't even wanted to test her( I could be wrong).

Birds is a no go here, deff hierarch. We have scryb and mom to get through with equipments. If you aren't playing decay main you only need 2 black sources so I would change foothills to catacombs so you can get your scrubland(not in your list). 2 plains is not neede but the 2 forest I like.

I have never really tried the big threats in Maverick, I want my deck to be consistent and not get stranded with something I can't cast.

Hope this helps!

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Again, probably better off being black with decay, but the red does provide some interesting options. I also think a straight GW version may be viable again

4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Mother of Runes
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Scryb Ranger
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Ajani Vengeant

2 Savannah
    2 Taiga
    1 Plateau
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Wooded Foothills
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    4 Wasteland
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Rogues Passage
    1 Dryad Arbor

SB:
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Electrickery
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Boil
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    3 Faerie Macabre
    Is 6 Thalia working for you? I haven't played Maverick in a looong while and can't help but think this new Thalia is feast-or-famine. Lots of folks raving about her when she works. I'm just baffled people aren't complaining about her legend-ruling herself (Guardian into Heretic no bueno).

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    Is 6 Thalia working for you? I haven't played Maverick in a looong while and can't help but think this new Thalia is feast-or-famine. Lots of folks raving about her when she works. I'm just baffled people aren't complaining about her legend-ruling herself (Guardian into Heretic no bueno).
    After lots of testing in different shells, THC needs to be ramped into in order to work. Maverick is pretty good at that, luckily.

She doesn't legend rule herself, BTW. The legend rule is about actual card names, not character names. Planeswalkers have a subtype that is their character name. For example, JTMS and Jace, Telepath Unbound both say "Planeswalker -- Jace."

Creatures don't have something similar. It's not "Creature -- Human Soldier Thalia." So you can have both TGoT and THC on the board at the same time.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Yeah old Thalia into new Thalia is legal and super sick. She's definitely worse the later the game goes on, like old Thalia, but dudes coming in tapped is pretty huge. Also like I said earlier, she's nuts versus elves

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    After lots of testing in different shells, THC needs to be ramped into in order to work. Maverick is pretty good at that, luckily.

She doesn't legend rule herself, BTW. The legend rule is about actual card names, not character names. Planeswalkers have a subtype that is their character name. For example, JTMS and Jace, Telepath Unbound both say "Planeswalker -- Jace."

Creatures don't have something similar. It's not "Creature -- Human Soldier Thalia." So you can have both TGoT and THC on the board at the same time.
    So I think if you want to play her, you probably want to run a 4 noble, 4 DRS version to utilize her being a 3 cc

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by NEELEY View Post
    So I think if you want to play her, you probably want to run a 4 noble, 4 DRS version to utilize her being a 3 cc
    Nah, don't need to. Megadeus' build above already has 4 Noble, 1 Bird, 4 GSZ for first turn acceleration. You could maaybe run 6 dorks 4 GSZ but more starts getting irresponsible IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Thread Information