Page 390 of 428 FirstFirst ... 290340380386387388389390391392393394400 ... LastLast
Results 7,781 to 7,800 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Is not Prelade slow?
    Peacekeeper with fauna on main deck does not remain unviable?

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Humberto View Post
    Is not Prelade slow?
    Peacekeeper with fauna on main deck does not remain unviable?
    Prelate comes online turn 2, which is standard for hate bears in legacy, especially when we run 4 GSZ/4 Heirarch/1 Dryar Arbor. Fauna Shaman comes online turn 3 at the earliest and if you hit all of your land drops you can have a turn 3 peacekeeper against elves... more likely turn 4.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

I have taken gsz build into two leagues, one 3-2s and 1 0-3 (weird matchups).

I think vial may still be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    I have taken gsz build into two leagues, one 3-2s and 1 0-3 (weird matchups).

I think vial may still be worth it.
    What did you face?

Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    I want 3 in my maindeck and then I'll adjust accordingly. I was running 4x SFM so that definitely influences my opinion of him. With equipment he's gravy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luthiereisfun View Post
    What did you face?
    League 1:

Sneak and show: 2-0
    Storm: 2-1
    BRgw Zombardment: 0-2
    Bant/b: 2-1
    Burn: 1-2

League 2

Storm with Daze (is this a thing?): 1-2
    Burn: 0-2 (his draw lined up perfectly with mine)
    UWr Blade/snapcaster/sweepers/jace: 0-2

Started off another league:

Elves: 0-2
    Storm: 2-0
    Sneak and Show: 2-0
    UWr Geist of st traft: 2-0

I am going to do a lot of testing of all versions (zenith, vial, punishing), because I really want to just play this deck for the rest of my life.

I also plan on streaming some of this, so I will keep you guys posted

On the topic of cutting black.

Think of this: D&T, Elves, Aluren and TNN are on the rise. What does it mean for us?

It means that all -1/-1 effects, which many people have been cutting, are back to sideboards. Really, people. Don't play Hierarch over DRS in the new meta, or you will be heavily punished by Zealous Persecutions, Golgari Charms, Marsh Casualties and other stuff like that.

Black offers us many highly useful things, namely Decay (Delver come closer), Thoughtseize (it is really strong vs combo decks, I don't leave home without at least 3 in sb), and Persecutions to deal with all the abovementioned decks ourselves.

I think that a good compromise between speed and CA will be the way to go. I'm probably going to the next FNM with 4DRS + 1NH, 2+1 ADs, 1 Tracker and a Courser or a Rallier. I also think that Maze might make the way to the deck once again (previously, I really didn't wanna draw it against Miracles, but now - oh yeah).

Not sure what I think of Prelates, but it might be a strong sideboard card, since RUG Delver might become a thing again, and it helps in many other problematic matchups, e.g. Storm or Sneak and Show.
    To make a prairie, it takes a clover and one bee. One clover, a bee, and revery...

Quote Originally Posted by aspsnake View Post
    On the topic of cutting black.

Think of this: D&T, Elves, Aluren and TNN are on the rise. What does it mean for us?

It means that all -1/-1 effects, which many people have been cutting, are back to sideboards. Really, people. Don't play Hierarch over DRS in the new meta, or you will be heavily punished by Zealous Persecutions, Golgari Charms, Marsh Casualties and other stuff like that.

Black offers us many highly useful things, namely Decay (Delver come closer), Thoughtseize (it is really strong vs combo decks, I don't leave home without at least 3 in sb), and Persecutions to deal with all the abovementioned decks ourselves.

I think that a good compromise between speed and CA will be the way to go. I'm probably going to the next FNM with 4DRS + 1NH, 2+1 ADs, 1 Tracker and a Courser or a Rallier. I also think that Maze might make the way to the deck once again (previously, I really didn't wanna draw it against Miracles, but now - oh yeah).

Not sure what I think of Prelates, but it might be a strong sideboard card, since RUG Delver might become a thing again, and it helps in many other problematic matchups, e.g. Storm or Sneak and Show.
    I loved Maze vs Miracle primarily to get extra value from KotR and DRS

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

To keep things moving I currently have 2 builds:

Noble Heirarch and Sanctum Prelate

Heirarch ensures turn 2 Prelate/Knight/crusader and the list is mostly humans for Cavern of Souls to have value. Not much to be said as his is mostly the standard list with only Pridemage as a tutor target game one... exalted triggers on crusader are dumb.

Or

Renegade Rallier and Smugglers Copter

The looter scooter lets your Thalia's and Moms fly over for 3 and a loot, while filling up the graveyard for Renegade Rallier, the deck currently has 3 Scryb Rangers for interactions with DRS, Scooter and Remegade Rallier, as she always gives a Revolt Trigger.

Anyone else brewing?

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

League 1:

Sneak and show: 2-0
    Storm: 2-1
    BRgw Zombardment: 0-2
    Bant/b: 2-1
    Burn: 1-2

League 2

Storm with Daze (is this a thing?): 1-2
    Burn: 0-2 (his draw lined up perfectly with mine)
    UWr Blade/snapcaster/sweepers/jace: 0-2

Started off another league:

Elves: 0-2
    Storm: 2-0
    Sneak and Show: 2-0
    UWr Geist of st traft: 2-0

I am going to do a lot of testing of all versions (zenith, vial, punishing), because I really want to just play this deck for the rest of my life.

I also plan on streaming some of this, so I will keep you guys posted
    Sounds like you are running pretty good given the matchups. UW control will always be an issue, so that 2nd league is just nightmare after nightmare. The rest of your games seem decent.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I disagree. I think you should be able to handle UWx Stoneblade decks. Especially if you run many pride mage. None of their threats are good without equipment. And after board choke is still something I'd be running if I were you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

How do you feel about punishing? It was the original version of the deck that grabbed my attention, so I've always had a soft spot for it, but I've never really played it.
    Tried it earlier this week, and it felt super clunky after playing GWb for the past year. It also feels like quite a different deck, so I was most likely playing it wrong.

Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I disagree. I think you should be able to handle UWx Stoneblade decks. Especially if you run many pride mage. None of their threats are good without equipment. And after board choke is still something I'd be running if I were you.
    The issue with this deck was more he had so many 2 for 1s that I just got ground out. It didn't really matter what he won with, he went swords snapcaster too many times. Post board he pyroclasmed me and EE'd me. Luckily I know the pilot, and he said it can't win vs combo.

Quote Originally Posted by DoomRabbit View Post
    How do you feel about punishing? It was the original version of the deck that grabbed my attention, so I've always had a soft spot for it, but I've never really played it.
    Tried it earlier this week, and it felt super clunky after playing GWb for the past year. It also feels like quite a different deck, so I was most likely playing it wrong.
    I like punishing maverick a lot, I cashed multiple scgs with it before. I think you still need the black so it's quite greedy however. I play 23 lands in my version. Just treat it like Naya stoneblade.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

I like punishing maverick a lot, I cashed multiple scgs with it before. I think you still need the black so it's quite greedy however. I play 23 lands in my version. Just treat it like Naya stoneblade.
    I feel the exact same way. Punishing fire does the lord's work when everyone is trying to play fairly, you also can heavily game your sideboard for combo decks + you get things like sudden demise and pyroblast as potential sideboard. I think it was someone on the source that did well with it last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

My problem with PFire right now is that the uptick of Leotard/True Name BUG decks and combo decks that PFire is pretty shitty.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Cool! Any chance for a list? Really keen to give it a fair shot. I was straight naya in the list I tried.

I may be wrong on this....

Punishing Maverick is a worst version of Maverick. If you want to play punishing fire I would play aggro loam. Combo is deffinently going to increase and so will elves and TNN decks. If we don't play black I think we will have a hard time dealing with these archetypes.

Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I feel the exact same way. Punishing fire does the lord's work when everyone is trying to play fairly, you also can heavily game your sideboard for combo decks + you get things like sudden demise and pyroblast as potential sideboard. I think it was someone on the source that did well with it last year.
    That's Seraphix on this forum. Punishing Maverick also did well at MKM last year in the hands of Fabien Gorzgen and at EE5 in the hands of Mark Strassman (Strassbaw on this forum??) I always hoped that Gorzgen might find his way to this forum to enlighten us as to the ways of the Pun Mav since it appears to be the only deck he has played for the past six years, but, oh ho, alas, alas, he has not.

Their lists:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=12433&d=271511&f=LE
    http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=13842&d=281765&f=LE
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

Obviously this is speculation and no one really knows what the meta will look like exactly...but I think moving forward Maverick will be a deck with a lot of 50/50 MU with a few its favored against and a few unfavored. Speaking to that I think I want to try and keep my list as flexible as possible.

So far in testing Sigarda has been great. Against any grindy/fair MU it's such a beating. Great against the control decks as well. For now I'm keeping it in the SB as my fair MU bomb to bring in.

Thalia 2.0 is also proving herself well. I think her biggest benefit is being really good against one of our worst MU but still being good against a lot of the field. So far 2x feels really good. Any more and you start to run into the problem of getting stuck in hand with them and it just being blanked by karakas. I also don't want to clutter the deck with 3 drops. It's currently the flex slot but I don't think I'd want to go down to 1. You want to see it as early as possible and as a non GSZ'able 3 drop I think I would only see it more mid-late game where it's not nearly as effective.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Luthiereisfun View Post
    Obviously this is speculation and no one really knows what the meta will look like exactly...but I think moving forward Maverick will be a deck with a lot of 50/50 MU with a few its favored against and a few unfavored. Speaking to that I think I want to try and keep my list as flexible as possible.

So far in testing Sigarda has been great. Against any grindy/fair MU it's such a beating. Great against the control decks as well. For now I'm keeping it in the SB as my fair MU bomb to bring in.

Thalia 2.0 is also proving herself well. I think her biggest benefit is being really good against one of our worst MU but still being good against a lot of the field. So far 2x feels really good. Any more and you start to run into the problem of getting stuck in hand with them and it just being blanked by karakas. I also don't want to clutter the deck with 3 drops. It's currently the flex slot but I don't think I'd want to go down to 1. You want to see it as early as possible and as a non GSZ'able 3 drop I think I would only see it more mid-late game where it's not nearly as effective.
    If you can get aggressive enough with mana denial and removal she can stay live a fairly long time. It was always surprising to me how relevant she was at times even on turn 5+ when you are trying to close the game or get through a key attack with a weapon that will turn the tide of the game and their dude that would normally block can't, or you have them cut from a color and they can't find it on time. Or it buys your cradle an extra turn from an opposing wasteland to really give you a massive advantage. I ran 3 of her (albeit accidentally because I had a massive deck Reg error) at the last win a mox here and got top 8 largely on her back.

Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by DoomRabbit View Post
    Cool! Any chance for a list? Really keen to give it a fair shot. I was straight naya in the list I tried.
    Here is my Punishing Fire list:

3 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Noble Hierarch
    1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scryb Ranger

4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Punishing Fire
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

2 Savannah
    2 Taiga
    1 Plateau
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Forest
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 Horizon Canopy

Sideboard
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Choke

List is a little wonky, but still fine I think.

Thread Information