Page 391 of 428 FirstFirst ... 291341381387388389390391392393394395401 ... LastLast
Results 7,801 to 7,820 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Hey guys,

I ran vial mav through a league this morning, and I recorded videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...vk4V8qJLBuZ5vF

I forgot how hard it is to record videos and talk while also playing well, so I make a couple of misplays.

I also recorded the last match of my previous league with Zenith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PJevulVAtw

---

For future uploads, do you guys think I should upload a league in it's entirety (~2 hours a lot of the time)? Or is it better to just upload each match individually?

Also, what would you guys like to see next? Vial, Zenith, Punishing, Coralhelm, straight GW?

Just let me know :) Hope to finally get a good wealth of Maverick content.

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    Hey guys,

I ran vial mav through a league this morning, and I recorded videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...vk4V8qJLBuZ5vF

I forgot how hard it is to record videos and talk while also playing well, so I make a couple of misplays.

I also recorded the last match of my previous league with Zenith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PJevulVAtw

---

For future uploads, do you guys think I should upload a league in it's entirety (~2 hours a lot of the time)? Or is it better to just upload each match individually?

Also, what would you guys like to see next? Vial, Zenith, Punishing, Coralhelm, straight GW?

Just let me know :) Hope to finally get a good wealth of Maverick content.
    Do that P-Fire thing, fam.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

Hey guys,

I was playing Zoo for a while and have been working on my list after the TOP ban.
    The original post from the zoo section is deleted cause i figured out that my zoo has transformed to a more Maverick than Zoo deck.

This is the List:

So lets talk a bit about my choices.
    The creatures are all well known good guys, but wait, who the fuck is this Kavu Predator?
    I love him. He is the better Gofy 2/2 trample and growing with each Swords, or grove activation.
    Come on, attack me with your Batterskull, Kavu is growing.

About the rest, there is nothing much to say.
    Nacatl, DRS, Knight are bringing preasure to the board.
    Mother protects them all and some Hatebears like Pridemage, Thalia, etc...

Sylvan Library nothing to say, everyone know the power.

Instants and Sorcerys:
    Fiery Justice: YAY Kavucombo removal
    Persecution (We hate this True-Name Nemesis and even good against Elves the new rising deck)
    Punishing Fire, go home creature decks and Kavu growing with the grove <3
    Swords: Again removal and Kavu growing. (Swords on Griseldaddy > Trigger > Kavu is 9/9 Trample, WOW I love this guy)

And put some Planeswalker on Top of it.
    Elspeth give me some flying cats.
    And This new Chandra, she is doing so much, an additional card to cast, if not, shock the opponent or take the spot removal and if you manage to ulti her = GG

So lets talk about something more interesting.
    The Sideboard:

Really hard decisions had to be made and the TOP ban makes it harder cause noone knows what the new meta would excatly look like.
    I think there will be more Combo, so take some hate against it, and these reanimator guys i dont like, some hate for them.
    2 Pyroblast against this TNN, i dont want do be the choosen player, dont enter the battlefield please. But if he did, one more persecution wich is still good against Elves.

Lets talk about the more interessting guy you may not know:
    Mystic Crusader

This guy is immune to most removal spells, good protection colors.
    I loved the Aggro Loam player reading it again and again,
    Marit Lage, iam ok with this, Mystic Crusader, best Crusader.

I think i like to bring some more Thalias into the deck,
    cause the MTGO 5-0 List are too much Combo Decks.

I maybe cut a Recruiter and one Library...

I've just realized we can start running chokes again! Goodbye wear/tear snap wear/tear.

Maybe you guys can help me brainstorm but I feel like I have found the fundamental problem that I have with beating elves.

It's that they almost always win G1. I just don't have enough cards that interact with any of their multiple axis to win by. MD I have two THC and we have Gaddock Teeg to slow them down. The other best bet is to win the die roll, T1 play dork, T2 sfm, and T3 equip and swing with jitte.

So they usually win G1. Post board I bring in 10 cards. Some better then others but they at least all interact on some level with them vs playing a 2/2 bear that they giggle at all the way to hoof town.

G2 on the play I feel like I have a lot of avenues to win by. It definitely feels winnable to an acceptable degree if this is supposed to be one our worst MU.

However the typical G3 on the draw feels miserable. Many times they just are able to get ahead much much further being on the play. Being one turn behind in this MU feels huge.

I see 2 ways to resolve this problem.

First is to try to improve chances of winning G1. I don't think I would want to MD Ethersworn/extra teeg but I could see being necessary if elves and storm are the new DTB. I could up the THC/SFM count which seems reasonable but the deck is already so tight that I don't want to hurt the decks overall flexibility. I could also try to add T1 interaction in The form of Thoughtseize/Push. That doesn't thrill me.

Spinning off of that I could try to add more T1 interaction from the SB. Thoughtseize is an obvious choice. There was some talk of Orims Chant which I am open too. We could also throw in a T1 kill spell like darkblast/push. Darkblast/push could be used in other MU but none that I think we want or need the extra spot removal.

Time will tell how important it is to be prepared for elves. Right now though it doesn't feel good and I want to believe there's a strategy we can capitalize on that doesn't hurt us overall.

Quote Originally Posted by TMagpie View Post
    I've just realized we can start running chokes again! Goodbye wear/tear snap wear/tear.
    I'm not quite sure Choke is a good sideboard card right now. I mean think about it, none of these drs shaman decks are gonna care too much, it's bad against combo and the 4c pile decks, and miracles is no more. Choke is at it's best against slow and durdly blue decks.. which is what exactly now?

And if your reason was wear/tear-snap-wear/tear, UWR stoneblade is probably gonna reappear in some amount so it'll happen again.

I know I took mine out of the board and you should probably consider it too.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt-Qc View Post
    I'm not quite sure Choke is a good sideboard card right now. I mean think about it, none of these drs shaman decks are gonna care too much, it's bad against combo and the 4c pile decks, and miracles is no more. Choke is at it's best against slow and durdly blue decks.. which is what exactly now?

And if your reason was wear/tear-snap-wear/tear, UWR stoneblade is probably gonna reappear in some amount so it'll happen again.

I know I took mine out of the board and you should probably consider it too.
    I replaced chokes with Winter Orbs a while ago, as Nic Fit, Miracles(RiP), Lands, Eldrazi and many other decks struggle when they can only untap one a turn. With Noble + Scryb Ranger we hardly skip a beat.

Some notes from this weeks testing, heading into a tourney tomorrow.

1. People need to be on the Sanctum Prelate train. She has uses against every deck, and absolutely crushes others. She also ensures we beat any slow combo draw, which is all a GW deck can ask for.

2. DRS is not what we need to be doing as our main source of dorki-ness, maybe as a 1 of for grindy games and to shut off opposing DRS. Heirarch lets us play more aggressive and ensures we hit our curve.

3. Gideon, Ally of Zendikar is amazing in the current meta, he hard counters -1/-1 effects permanently with his ult in addition to making 2/2's and himself being a 5/5, he ends the game fast, using any of his abilities, he is immune to Toxic Deluge(which is everywhere)

4. Pridemage is a big deal right now.Vials, Alurens, Food Chain, Equipment, Blood Moons, Sylvan Libraries... so many things that need to be killed....

Anyone having success with any other builds?

Hopefully this week carries into tomorrow!
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

IMO Deathrite Shaman is even better now than before as we're playing more black cards in our sideboard for elves//combo as well as there's more Deathrites for ours to fight and we play more lands // virtual copies of DRS in Zenith // scryb ranger so it doesn't hurt us as much to have ours sit back to contest theirs.

List I'm playing is pretty close to what I've been on before and I still want the decays as more catch-all removal spells never hurt. The basic swamp has been really nice in having a B source that doesn't get answered. I added Renegade Rallier because there's been times where my Scryb/Ooze etc was dead and I was like "man I wish I played 2 so I can zenith for it again" he does that but also double wastelands, gets back jitte, pridemage, etc.

My 4th Knight is a Tireless Tracker atm and it's been really nice, hard to notice the 4th Knight gone when you have 4 Zenith's and 3 Knights tbh and I like having the option to go for something that gets value even when answered pretty quickly.

Sideboard is changing a bunch time after time- ATM it's mostly streamlined for decks I'm pretty bad against but none of the cards are overly narrow, I do like to add a cheeky card to test from time to time.

4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Noble Hierarch
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    3 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Renegade Rallier
    -25-

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    -12-

2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Karakas
    4 Wasteland
    -23-

2 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 To The Slaughter (have yet to draw this, iunoo if it's good lol)
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Inquistion of Kozilek
    2 Surgical Extraction
    -15-

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    IMO Deathrite Shaman is even better now than before as we're playing more black cards in our sideboard for elves//combo as well as there's more Deathrites for ours to fight and we play more lands // virtual copies of DRS in Zenith // scryb ranger so it doesn't hurt us as much to have ours sit back to contest theirs.

List I'm playing is pretty close to what I've been on before and I still want the decays as more catch-all removal spells never hurt. The basic swamp has been really nice in having a B source that doesn't get answered. I added Renegade Rallier because there's been times where my Scryb/Ooze etc was dead and I was like "man I wish I played 2 so I can zenith for it again" he does that but also double wastelands, gets back jitte, pridemage, etc.

My 4th Knight is a Tireless Tracker atm and it's been really nice, hard to notice the 4th Knight gone when you have 4 Zenith's and 3 Knights tbh and I like having the option to go for something that gets value even when answered pretty quickly.

Sideboard is changing a bunch time after time- ATM it's mostly streamlined for decks I'm pretty bad against but none of the cards are overly narrow, I do like to add a cheeky card to test from time to time.

4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Noble Hierarch
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    3 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Renegade Rallier
    -25-

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    -12-

2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Karakas
    4 Wasteland
    -23-

2 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 To The Slaughter (have yet to draw this, iunoo if it's good lol)
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Inquistion of Kozilek
    2 Surgical Extraction
    -15-
    What's the advantage of Rallier over SoLaS or EWitness?

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    I replaced chokes with Winter Orbs a while ago, as Nic Fit, Miracles(RiP), Lands, Eldrazi and many other decks struggle when they can only untap one a turn. With Noble + Scryb Ranger we hardly skip a beat.

Some notes from this weeks testing, heading into a tourney tomorrow.

1. People need to be on the Sanctum Prelate train. She has uses against every deck, and absolutely crushes others. She also ensures we beat any slow combo draw, which is all a GW deck can ask for.

2. DRS is not what we need to be doing as our main source of dorki-ness, maybe as a 1 of for grindy games and to shut off opposing DRS. Heirarch lets us play more aggressive and ensures we hit our curve.

3. Gideon, Ally of Zendikar is amazing in the current meta, he hard counters -1/-1 effects permanently with his ult in addition to making 2/2's and himself being a 5/5, he ends the game fast, using any of his abilities, he is immune to Toxic Deluge(which is everywhere)

4. Pridemage is a big deal right now.Vials, Alurens, Food Chain, Equipment, Blood Moons, Sylvan Libraries... so many things that need to be killed....

Anyone having success with any other builds?

Hopefully this week carries into tomorrow!
    When I first played Maverick the meta was super heavy in D&T and running 0 black and 4 Heirarchs allows you to really punish them. Only one deck forced me to splash any black card--and that was Miracles. I played Orim's Chant over thoughtseize and it got the job done vs combo majority of the time. When Miracles became prevalent, the first card that was forced to go was Heirarch since exalted is bad versus terminus...

With Miracles gone, I have to make that decision again of strong mana base versus DRS.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

What's the advantage of Rallier over SoLaS or EWitness?
    I've been intending to mention this but scrap my comment every time I try to write something. Anyway, I changed my third copy of Abrupt Decay into a Renegade Rallier since it can bring back a Qasali Pridemage and destroy similar things. The upside is that it's card advantage and even more importantly you can bring back the important Jitte, as a bonus you can also bring back Sylvan Library, Scryb Ranger, Thalia, Gaddock Teeg, Ethersworn Canonist and you have the tempo play of double Wasteland turns or ramping with a fetchland. But basically, bringing back Qasali and Jitte are probably the main advantages in my opinion, that way you get to play a second Jitte and a third Decay in one card that is Green Sun Zenithable.

Edit: the comparison with those cards is actually really relevant, I just wrote quickly since I wanted to comment on Rallier anyway, sorry! I guess the difference is that Rallier brings tempo and a larger body. Witness does very similar things, but without tempo and it's a 2/1 not a 3/2. Also the opponent won't know what's happening when you GSZ for the Rallier and put desired permanent into play, that can be useful in corner cases; especially in my list that currently has two Vials (should probably remove them now that Miracles is changed, but I'll try them a while longer), when using Vial the opponent won't be able to interact with counterspells on the returned permanent.

I would love to go straight GW but I think Black is more important than ever. I think there will be a resurgence of TNN from not just BUG decks but stoneblade decks ported from Miracles. That + more elves means having sweepers in the SB matter. Not to mention zealous persecution can also be used to counter other sweepers played against us.

This is also why I am leaving DRS in. He dodges -1/-1 effects and helps fix colors for when the black mana is crucial.

On the topic of rallier, I like him. He is a very grindy card and gives something unique to Maverick. I cut him however because he was a flex slot and he doesn't help in MU that I feel like Maverick needs to start hedging against.

Quote Originally Posted by Luthiereisfun View Post
    Maybe you guys can help me brainstorm but I feel like I have found the fundamental problem that I have with beating elves.
    Aven Mindcensor can be main boarded and has applications against both Elves and Storm. It should be easy enough to shave an extra SFM, Pridemage, or even a DRS to make room depending on what you're comfortable doing. Obviously Teeg stays and additional room for Canonist can be made in the main if you're really concerned about these match ups, but that may be overkill.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

Quote Originally Posted by menloe View Post
    Aven Mindcensor can be main boarded and has applications against both Elves and Storm. It should be easy enough to shave an extra SFM, Pridemage, or even a DRS to make room depending on what you're comfortable doing. Obviously Teeg stays and additional room for Canonist can be made in the main if you're really concerned about these match ups, but that may be overkill.
    I didn't think about mindcensor. That's a great suggestion. It's good vs fetches and flying matters. Would also be quite reasonable vs Stoneforge decks. Shutting down entomb is also a plus against reanimator.

The 1 toughness hurts but I could see mindcensor being another good inclusion for sure.

Any other MU he puts work in?

I didn't think about mindcensor. That's a great suggestion. It's good vs fetches and flying matters. Would also be quite reasonable vs Stoneforge decks. Shutting down entomb is also a plus against reanimator.

The 1 toughness hurts but I could see mindcensor being another good inclusion for sure.

Any other MU he puts work in?
    You hit the big ones. Intuition, Eye of Ugin, and Godo?

Flying does matter and an Aven Mindcensor wearing a knife is sweet.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Punishing Maverick deck tech and first 2 matches.

I will try to finish the league tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Y2wYN94ULaak4A

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    Punishing Maverick deck tech and first 2 matches.

I will try to finish the league tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Y2wYN94ULaak4A
    Cheers m8 I'm gonna watch em.

Most of my wins against elves involves resolving Teeg, making a 20/20 flyer in the two turns it takes them to get around him, and killing them. Matchup is fine.

Most of my wins against elves involves resolving Teeg, making a 20/20 flyer in the two turns it takes them to get around him, and killing them. Matchup is fine.
    I don't run depths often so that is good to know. Without depths it does not feel nearly as good imo at the very least.

I don't run depths often so that is good to know. Without depths it does not feel nearly as good imo at the very least.
    The point of depths is not that you need to run it--the point is that I want to clarify that the issue with elves is not that we don't have hate cards, but that we don't have an evasive clock. Anything we do elves will find a way out of it. You need a clock that has some form of evasion or all the hatebears/discard in the world is for naught.

Fogs are better since it stops their craterhoof trigger. But fogs are bad vs everything else--except for Orim's Chant, which is both fog (for elves) and countermagic (for storm). Its bad vs damn near everything else--but if you're looking for a card to help against storm and elves, that's a good go to.

Thread Information