Page 275 of 428 FirstFirst ... 175225265271272273274275276277278279285325375 ... LastLast
Results 5,481 to 5,500 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

@ maharis - the land card seems like a cool choice, however, 5 mana in my build and black mana are hard to come by. I'll consider that option if I change things up.

@T-101 - I play punishing dark maverick and my Mu isn't good with UR right now. Sivvis's Ruse might allow me to stabilize for free and untap my dudes leading to win I'd hope. How do you board against UR? Do you play the DD/Stage combo or any specific board cards? Bloodmoon makes this matchup very awkward for me.

@Thediscopower - Sivvi's Ruse is free and helps all creatures I control (maybe some cool life saving blocks could happen after resolution) and it's just a board card. I'd never try a card with a similar function main deck. I've been playing pyroblast and Zealous Persecution out of the board in the match, and I never feel like they are enough or much better than what I already take out of my deck.

Aug 2014
    Central New York

While I'm pleased with GP NJ (10-1-3 Fri and Sat), the bigger takeaway is how well positioned Maverick is. If you have decent experience piloting the deck, you can literally outplay less sophisticated players. Not sour my final 2 opponents didn't scoop to push me to day 2, but I wonder if I could have made top 100.

Of the few cards I acquired, I really want to run Titania. I think Titania + Geddon will create some extremely uncomfortable blowouts for control to deal with. Titania also turns fetches + knights into multiple 5/3's. That's nothing to scoff at either.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    While I'm pleased with GP NJ (10-1-3 Fri and Sat), the bigger takeaway is how well positioned Maverick is. If you have decent experience piloting the deck, you can literally outplay less sophisticated players. Not sour my final 2 opponents didn't scoop to push me to day 2, but I wonder if I could have made top 100.

Of the few cards I acquired, I really want to run Titania. I think Titania + Geddon will create some extremely uncomfortable blowouts for control to deal with. Titania also turns fetches + knights into multiple 5/3's. That's nothing to scoff at either.
    What about Titania and Sylvan Safekeeper? Plus, Safekeeper with Gaddock Teeg is pretty good too.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    What about Titania and Sylvan Safekeeper? Plus, Safekeeper with Gaddock Teeg is pretty good too.
    I thought about including Titania this weekend, but opted not to because I didn't want to try completely untested tech. I am already running 1 Safekeeper, and I think if I included a Cradle to boost mana production for GSZ, Titania could easily have a place in the deck.

EOT, sac all my lands, make a bunch of 5/3 Elementals seems like it would end most games. Paying 6 mana is a rough, but if it presents you with a 1 turn clock, that seems worth testing out. I'll give it a whirl and see if there's anything worth posting by next week.

Aug 2014
    Central New York

I generally don't like safekeeper. I understand the alpha strike combo but can't see a matchup where that's "better" than simply using Titania and grinding out 5/3 guys. Miracles can at any moment terminus you out or respond to Titania triggers. If she's on the table, I'm happy with whatever else happens. Against crap like DnT or UR Delver, again, I like Titania being on the table and her triggers being gravy. I don't believe my playstyle needs to milk Titania. She's fucking powerful based on the players who used her. Even the ability to recur a land when she comes into play ---> wasteland ---> is nuking resources while making a 5/3. That's serious value. I wouldn't jam Safekeeper despite the synergy. I think Safekeeper detracts from the overall list. That's my 2 cents.

The Enchanter
    Mar 2012
    Council Bluffs, IA

Titania is the fucking truth. She is so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    I generally don't like safekeeper. I understand the alpha strike combo but can't see a matchup where that's "better" than simply using Titania and grinding out 5/3 guys. Miracles can at any moment terminus you out or respond to Titania triggers. If she's on the table, I'm happy with whatever else happens. Against crap like DnT or UR Delver, again, I like Titania being on the table and her triggers being gravy. I don't believe my playstyle needs to milk Titania. She's fucking powerful based on the players who used her. Even the ability to recur a land when she comes into play ---> wasteland ---> is nuking resources while making a 5/3. That's serious value. I wouldn't jam Safekeeper despite the synergy. I think Safekeeper detracts from the overall list. That's my 2 cents.
    I guess we just have a difference of opinion on Safekeeper.

I'm not advocating Safekeeper based solely on the "Combo-Kill" of giving something Shroud 4 or 5 times and making a bunch of 5/3s, I just like Safekeeper as a Zenith target. Being that when I play this style of deck that I'm already including a Safekeeper, the option of EOT army seems worth keeping in the ol' wheelhouse.

Of course, going all in with Titania/Safekeeper vs. Miracles is... unwise (assuming we don't have a Teeg in play). But I wouldn't mind going for it against other decks. If I'm against Delver/Storm/Elves/Dredge, I could see myself going for it.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

So, I know recently Tom commented on here and was saying that he has enjoyed the inclusion of Courser of Kruphix in his deck. If the meta begins to shift away from UR Delver style decks and shifts towards UWR Blade deck, do you guys think that slot would go back to Qasali Pridemage?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    So, I know recently Tom commented on here and was saying that he has enjoyed the inclusion of Courser of Kruphix in his deck. If the meta begins to shift away from UR Delver style decks and shifts towards UWR Blade deck, do you guys think that slot would go back to Qasali Pridemage?
    Why not both?.jpg
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Why not both?.jpg
    I guess it just comes down to if 3 QPM or 2 QPM/1 COK (lol) is the right call. I have been testing Courser and liking him, but he seemed to be an inclusion mostly for UR delver. A couple of the local players at my store have opted for the new flavor of the week, UWR blade, over their previous UR Delver decks.

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyT View Post
    I know man. It's a shame we aren't discussing her more.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

I ordered one just in case. I think she has a lot of potential, especially with knight on the field (which isn't really a winmore scenario).
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyT View Post
    Pretty much, if you wanted to run Sigarda, you should run Titania instead.
    However, if you were not running Sigarda, then you probably should not force Titania.

Nov 2014
    Atlanta, GA

Assuming most players are playing with some number of Deathrite Shamans over Noble Hierarch, what does your manabase look like? The singleton bullets like Karakas, Cradle, Arbor, Maze, etc. are fine to discuss, but more interested in the things that get you to casting Knight. Are 6 forest/plains/swamps enough for 9 fetches (and the occasional Knight for fetch)?

Apr 2014
    Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by TMagpie View Post
    Pretty much, if you wanted to run Sigarda, you should run Titania instead.
    However, if you were not running Sigarda, then you probably should not force Titania.
    I don't know if I agree with that. Sigarda has different applications. The hexproof is great against heavy removal midrange decks. The flying makes her especially great against any planeswalkers and at carrying equipment. Her can't have you sac from opponents spells/abilities is relevant against Liliana, Eldrazi, etc.

Titania is only good if you have Knight out, or have wasteland and fetches on your board. I assume if you hard casting/green sunning for her, you probably have already ran through your fetches and wastelands (besides the 1 land you get with her entering the battlefield). However, having 5/3 is never a bad thing. I just don't think that you're going to be making as many tokens as you think you are. It isn't a young pyromancer or anything. Now this is all being said without play testing her. However, Titania only seems conditional good while if Sigarda hits the table, its usually an assured victory.

Good afternoon, everyone. Long time reader, first time poster on The Source. I post over at MTG Salvation under the same user name (TheoryCraft). I do not claim to be an MTG master, though I do have a few IQ Top 8's under my belt and I've been reading and playtesting long enough to feel comfortable to chime in.

I am planning on getting some significant playtesting in next weekend with different Maverick variants, but nonetheless my mainstay list has been - and will likely continue to be - a list akin to Tom Herzog's (no DD/Thespian, load up QPM, 2x Sylvan, 4/1 DRS:Noble split, no cute Safekeeper/Scryb Ranger stuff, etc.). As an aside, Tom, I greatly respect your patient game play and championing of the Maverick banner at SCG events this year (and also the fact that I am a Michigan State law grad, so the MSU ties run deep). I too have felt like Maverick has been underrated for quite some time now. I am in agreement with your earlier statement that any Maverick list that does not run 4x Thalia is just not well-equipped to handle the general meta right now (obviously YMMV at local gaming stores).

My question is, have you (Tom) or anyone else had an opportunity to get impactful testing in on Courser of Kruphix? It seems like an interesting pet card and particularly strong against UR Delver and Burn, both of which are well-positioned at the moment, but I can't help but think that a 2x mainboard Ooze is just better most of the time. Courser with Sylvan is ridiculous, I agree, but then again so is an Ooze with Gaea's Cradle in play. Also, in general, Ooze presents a strong threat that most decks need to remove immediately or suffer the consequences (especially decks that do not have AD or StP). What are your thoughts on the 2nd Ooze?

Quote Originally Posted by DudeItsCorey View Post
    I don't know if I agree with that. Sigarda has different applications. The hexproof is great against heavy removal midrange decks. The flying makes her especially great against any planeswalkers and at carrying equipment. Her can't have you sac from opponents spells/abilities is relevant against Liliana, Eldrazi, etc.

Titania is only good if you have Knight out, or have wasteland and fetches on your board. I assume if you hard casting/green sunning for her, you probably have already ran through your fetches and wastelands (besides the 1 land you get with her entering the battlefield). However, having 5/3 is never a bad thing. I just don't think that you're going to be making as many tokens as you think you are. It isn't a young pyromancer or anything. Now this is all being said without play testing her. However, Titania only seems conditional good while if Sigarda hits the table, its usually an assured victory.
    I guess, to me, you can only really have one 4 or 5 drop in the 75 and I like having explosive options as my trumps as opposed to safer options.

Or maybe I'm just enthralled by the artwork--in either case, I feel like (as a trump card) Titania seems like something you could leverage for more 180's in game state than a "mere" (and I say that jokingly) 5/5 flyer.

That being said, I was a staunch Sigarda loyalist until I tested Dark Depths for the first time, so maybe I'm just in a token kick.

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    I guess it just comes down to if 3 QPM or 2 QPM/1 COK (lol) is the right call. I have been testing Courser and liking him, but he seemed to be an inclusion mostly for UR delver. A couple of the local players at my store have opted for the new flavor of the week, UWR blade, over their previous UR Delver decks.
    I love Courser. I made the change before the GP after reading the suggestion and I was extremely happy with it. I can't imagine needing (okay strictly speaking blowing up all their equipment is good, but w/e) more than two pridemages, especially in the SFM mirror, for game 2 perhaps there's another pridemage and k-grip to bring in.

ninja edit - Courser synergizes very well with Sylvan Library. In a midrange mirror it's very important to get card advantage and Courser + Sylvan Library fits the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by barcode View Post
    I love Courser. I made the change before the GP after reading the suggestion and I was extremely happy with it. I can't imagine needing (okay strictly speaking blowing up all their equipment is good, but w/e) more than two pridemages, especially in the SFM mirror, for game 2 perhaps there's another pridemage and k-grip to bring in.

ninja edit - Courser synergizes very well with Sylvan Library. In a midrange mirror it's very important to get card advantage and Courser + Sylvan Library fits the bill.
    I agree with this. I ended up trying the card online first, just because I wasn't sure about it, but I am now very happy with it. Even if you can't hide anything when it gets into play, generating card advantage and gaining free lifes is just so good. And the power toughness are also good.

Yep, I am convinced by it now.

Now, if I could just get a Titania online, or any cmd 2014 card for that matter...

Quote Originally Posted by ThediscoPower View Post
    I agree with this. I ended up trying the card online first, just because I wasn't sure about it, but I am now very happy with it. Even if you can't hide anything when it gets into play, generating card advantage and gaining free lifes is just so good. And the power toughness are also good.

Yep, I am convinced by it now.

Now, if I could just get a Titania online, or any cmd 2014 card for that matter...
    Which aspect of the card is good--the "land draw" or the lifegain? It seems like it has too little of each for 3 mana, but how is it actually playing out? What matchups do you actually zenith for it instead of a Knight?

Thread Information