Page 428 of 428 FirstFirst ... 328378418424425426427428
Results 8,541 to 8,554 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderknight View Post
    Over the weekend I top 4 the Baltimore Legacy League Invitational with Punishing Maverick. With the help of Strassbaw, and an intense 3HR sideboard discussion, I came to this list. I'll write up my report later.

Creatures:
    3x Deathrite Shaman
    1x Noble Hierarch
    1x Birds of Paradise
    4x Mother of Runes
    2x Stoneforge Mystic
    2x Qasli Pridemage
    1x Voice of Resurgence
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Scrub Ranger
    1x Scavening Ooze
    4x Knight of the Reliquary
    1x Ramunap Excavator

Spells:
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    3x Punishing Fire
    1x Jitte
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Sylvan Library (ALL STAR)

Lands:
    4x Wooded Foothills
    3x Windswept Health
    3x Wasteland
    3x Grove of the Burnwillows
    2x Savannah
    1x Taiga
    1x Plateau
    1x Forest
    1x Plains
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Dark Depths
    1x Thespian Stage
    1x Bayou
    1x Karakas

SB:
    2x Pyroblast
    2x Crop Rotation
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    1x Reclamation Sage
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    2x Choke
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Zealous Persecution
    1x Fiery Justice
    1x Chandra, Pyromancer
    1x Pithing Needle.
    What else top 8'd the event?

Quote Originally Posted by Ezuri View Post
    What about using Thalia and Punishing fire in the same deck.

I currently play 2 or 3 Thalia on the full Punishing package. Doesn't really slow down my game as I use Punishing fire lategadme anyway.

What are your thoughts?
    I think Thalia is too good not to play. I play her in the sideboard right now. If more combo decks enter into the meta game, Thalia main deck is probably warranted in Punishing Maverick.

When I play her main deck with Punishing Fire, I tend to have about 14 non-creature spells. That is about what Death and Taxes has, however, Aether Vial doesn't really count, and Pun and Greensun's Zenith do count. I tend to play 2 Thalia main deck when I do play Thalia main deck with Punishing Fire.

Punishing Fire gives you the edge against creature decks, and Thalia gives you the edge against combo decks. Its hard to jam both of them together main deck as you only have so many slots in the deck, and it'll be hard to play theme cards like Stoneforge Mystic, Dark Depths/Thespian stage, or flex cards like extra Pridemages, Scavenging Oozes, Sylvan Libraries, or planes walkers.

I would start with 2 Thalia main deck, and have cards like Ethersworn Canonist, Sanctum Prelate, Containment Priest, extra copy of Teeg for the board. Legend rule can effect you, so I wouldn't play a play-set of Thalia, but that's just me.

Having a diversity of threats makes the deck very powerful, and Thalia and Teeg are easy to board out against the non-blue fair matches. Thalia is good against mid-range blue decks, but she really shines against combo decks, so side-boarding may get complex when you play against non-combo blue decks.

Does anyone around here have a list tuned for a meta with a heavy amount of Pile and Delver decks? Lately I have been spending my nights playing 4 Delver, Leovold and TNN decks in a row. I’m not planning to build Punishing Maverick for at least a few months, I’m just looking for a Junk list right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty744 View Post
    Does anyone around here have a list tuned for a meta with a heavy amount of Pile and Delver decks? Lately I have been spending my nights playing 4 Delver, Leovold and TNN decks in a row. I’m not planning to build Punishing Maverick for at least a few months, I’m just looking for a Junk list right now.
    There's quite a few of that as well as a bunch of lands and other stuff at our locals, I've been doing really well with my junk list. Stage Depths is nice to have against pile when you don't feel like slogging through Jace/Leovold or trying to dance around a TNN. I change the sideboard pretty much every time I play the list so probably tune that to your liking.

4 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Wasteland
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Dark Depths
    -24-

3 Thoughtseize
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    -14-

3 Mother of Runes
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Noble Hierarch
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Renegade Rallier
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    -22-

1 Liliana, The Last Hope
    1 Vindicate//Council's Judgement (I use vindicate because I have a justification and it's cool =p)
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Golgari Charm
    2 Abrupt Decay
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Swamp

Off-Topic- I have the deck fully pimped except my Thoughtseizes are Theros foil which are kind of meh. I'm not the biggest fan of the art on the Lorwyn one and I love the art on the invocation, but invocation text/frame feels a bit out of place. Would you play the invocation ones? I know it's "whatever I like most" but other opinions would be cool ^^.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    Off-Topic- I have the deck fully pimped except my Thoughtseizes are Theros foil which are kind of meh. I'm not the biggest fan of the art on the Lorwyn one and I love the art on the invocation, but invocation text/frame feels a bit out of place. Would you play the invocation ones? I know it's "whatever I like most" but other opinions would be cool ^^.
    Invocations? But think of the children!!! Everything but invocation!

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Does anyone tried steely Resolve vs all those 6-7 removal, 4 snap, 4 strixes decks? Since they mostly abandon old Liliana it looks really promising

There's quite a few of that as well as a bunch of lands and other stuff at our locals, I've been doing really well with my junk list. Stage Depths is nice to have against pile when you don't feel like slogging through Jace/Leovold or trying to dance around a TNN. I change the sideboard pretty much every time I play the list so probably tune that to your liking.

4 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Wasteland
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Dark Depths
    -24-

3 Thoughtseize
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    -14-

3 Mother of Runes
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Noble Hierarch
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Renegade Rallier
    -22-

1 Liliana, The Last Hope
    1 Vindicate//Council's Judgement (I use vindicate because I have a justification and it's cool =p)
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Golgari Charm
    2 Abrupt Decay
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Swamp

I like the thoughtseizes mainboard, as a card like kolaghans command can just devastate maverick, and there’s not many ways for us to play around it. Why do you play the Heirarch over a BoP though? I don’t see the advantage to be honest. Also, have you tried Tireless Tracker? I feel like card advantage is huge against Pile and Delver decks.

And definitely leave the Theros foils, IMO the art is decent and the Invocations don’t really look good next to non-invocations TBH. Do you have pics of the deck?

In what metagame is it better to be playing Maverick over DnT and vice versa?

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by koten View Post
    In what metagame is it better to be playing Maverick over DnT and vice versa?
    If you need to deal with blade decks - like D&T mirror pick Maverick. It's also better equip vs wild decks :-). D&T have now problem vs K.Command and Abrade.

Btw I reunion with old forgotten card in maverick which helps a lot vs:
    - Elves
    - D&T
    - Mirror
    - Infect
    - All Strixes which all those UBgr decks pack as 4-of:
    Granger Guildmage
    along with Steely Resolve are my answers vs today meta.

My actual list:
    [cards]
    61 Maindeck

// 3 Artifact
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

// 26 Creature
    1 Tireless Tracker
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Dryad Arbor
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Renegade Rallier
    1 Noble Hierarch
    1 Granger Guildmage

// 1 Enchantment
    1 Sylvan Library

// 4 Instant
    4 Swords to Plowshares

// 23 Land
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    4 Wasteland
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Forest
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Taiga
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Plateau

// 4 Sorcery
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Creature
    2 Ethersworn Canonist

// 3 Enchantment
    3 Steely Resolve

// 8 Instant
    1 Blessed Alliance
    3 Zealous Persecution
    2 Ancient Grudge
    2 Pyroblast

//1 Land

SB: 1 Bojuka Bog

// 1 Sorcery
    1 Life from the Loam

Meta: Grixis Delver, Czech Pile, D&T, Elves, Moon Stompy, Eldrazi

I cut Sigarda as too slow.
    Added Grudge vs D&T and Moon Stompy
    I added Guildmage vs D&T Delver and Czech Pile
    I added Pyro vs Delver and Czech Pile
    I added Steely Resolve vs Czech Pile (they cut old Liliana and use new one so Steely works great), I used Choke before but it won't work to well even if landed they still use nonblue cards - mostly removal.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty744 View Post
    I like the thoughtseizes mainboard, as a card like kolaghans command can just devastate maverick, and there’s not many ways for us to play around it. Why do you play the Heirarch over a BoP though? I don’t see the advantage to be honest. Also, have you tried Tireless Tracker? I feel like card advantage is huge against Pile and Delver decks.

And definitely leave the Theros foils, IMO the art is decent and the Invocations don’t really look good next to non-invocations TBH. Do you have pics of the deck?
    Thoughtseize has been kind to me, I guess I'll give Theros block some love as it needs it and I want to buy a switch sometime soon instead of more Thoughtseizes =p. When I play Containment Priest it's a 1of and I use invocation though - it's a tilting card haha. I've been playing this deck for years so I do a lot of changes and have played with most cards. My Sylvan Library was recently a 4th Thoughtseize and to be honest I hate playing non-tutorable 1ofs in this deck due to no deck manipulation, as awesome as library is you could play tracker instead of it as that card is sweet too, I just liked the lower curve.

Before thoughtseizes I was playing 1 Tracker, 1 Rallier, and 1 Ramunap Excavator but they got cut. I then cut the 2nd pridemage to put the rallier back in as he can act like a 2nd pridemage if I need it and he does other stuff.

As for Noble, exalted is actually insane. There's so many moments where it can come up: sometimes it means Thalia does 3 damage in the face of Leovold instead of 0, Noble hold jitte better, noble always gets under ensnaring bride (with jitte this is pretty spicy). The main upside to bird is it makes black which is obviously very good as I go deeper into black, flying is obviously good but in a lot more niche cases than when exalted is good.

Let's be real though, the main reason I don't run bird is because I don't have an alpha/beta one =p.

Here's a picture of the main deck I took after getting the last card for it (Only change is I had the 4th thoughtseize and no library). The pictures aren't the best, sorry :(

https://imgur.com/a/SYYCf

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

That beta duals shouldn't be played😀. Very nice

Jun 2016
    Eugene, OR

Here's a picture of the main deck I took after getting the last card for it (Only change is I had the 4th thoughtseize and no library). The pictures aren't the best, sorry :(

https://imgur.com/a/SYYCf
    Beautiful deck!

Quote Originally Posted by NeckBird View Post
    What else top 8'd the event?
    2x MAVERICK (1 JUNK, 1 NAYA)
    2x RG LANDS
    1x DEATH AND TAXES
    1X GRIXIS DELVER
    1X BURN
    1X AGGRO POX

Sep 2010