Page 40 of 428 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

To be fair, Mom won't be able to protect Gaddock against High Tide because of Wipe Away. The only out to this is playing Gaddock with (GW) mana open and target it with Mother during your main phase. Thus, your opponent is forced to either not bounce him or bounce him and see you replay Gaddock (with the possibility of countering him now).
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Thanks Rukcus - this helps out a lot!
    Metamorph over Bridge? I don't know about Ring, since it doesn't work for Progenitus. Tariff and Image are good, but in a Enlightened Tutor package, I have more chances of drawing 'Morph or Bridge. I like Bridge because it is permanent, while 'Morph kills one big guy, but then it gets recycled and 'Morph/Tariff/Ring/Image don't stop Sneak Attack. I can get under bridge with Noble, or wait until I've amassed my Hordes then blow it up and go in for the Alpha Strike!

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Makes sense - thanks! Or Hibernate, might as well swing with Mom then - some decks are running multiple snaps and no wipe away, I guess this would be a time to keep Mom untapped

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Metamorph doesn't shuffle back in when it clones Emrakul FYI. This can be an important point.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

With UW Tempo rising, I wonder what Mavericks MU is?

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    Metamorph doesn't shuffle back in when it clones Emrakul FYI. This can be an important point.
    Yes, I agree - my point was it doesn't (sorry if this wasn't clear) - Bridge is a permanent solution, where Metamorph does one iteration, but Most NO decks run 3-4 NOs and Sneak & Show runs 8 copies of Progen/Emrakul/Kozilek/Ulamog/Blightsteel, etc, so chances are you will have to face down 2-3 of these. Thanks for the clarifying point.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Doesn't Ensnaring Bridge stop your own armada too?
    How does one win with Ensnaring Bridge on either side of the board?

I think UW Tempo should be an easy matchup:
    - Our beasts are bigger
    - Many ways to clean up their equipments
    - Stable mana base so who cares about Wasteland
    - They have little ways to clean up our equipments

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Noble Hierarch + Exalted :P
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Hello, I'm new here. I play and cherish Maverick and I'm looking forward to seeing how the archetype reacts to the Misstep-free format. Which I don't believe will be too negative for the deck. IME GW Maverick already tended to overrun a deck like UW Stoneblade before, with Misstep present, but hey, more ease there is fine. People are worried about combo resurgence. But remember we have the tools to deal with most of them. Maverick does well in games 2 + 3 (game 1 if lucky) against storm all the time. The tools are there ... particularly speaking I think seeing more of Charbelcher is going to be bad though. There's not much you can do in my experience.

I think the new environment may call for 4 Mother of Runes instead of the typical 3 (or none.) As long as the extra copy of her doesn't replace a threat. To protect Gaddock ... to help against lightning bolt if she can live a turn.

Anyway, in general I wanted to ask people about the use of Thrun? Specifically, it seems as if most of the winning decks maindeck 1 copy (with possibly another in sideboard). I can't argue with results of course and there must be much to this, but can someone help me understand why it works? Because, it seems like with 1 copy you need to GSZ it, which they can counter, and 5 mana is a lot ...

Well, maybe at the point you cast GSZ for Thrun they are low on resources, is that it?

I'm sure this is easy to understand, I'm just not seeing it exactly and haven't gotten around to heavy testing.

I really like the idea of Silhana Ledgewalker as a 1-of. I also use a couple copies of Student of Warfare (with testing success) but let's not talk about that embarrassment.

The TC Decks site is a great resource. Man, Maverick rocks Europe.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by sir View Post
    Thrun?

I really like the idea of Silhana Ledgewalker as a 1-of.
    I like 1 Thrun in the 75, and I start it maindeck. Most of the time, you won't need to tutor for it, and sometimes you'll naturally draw it, and proceed to win in. In most cases that I've encountered, GSZ is typically mid-late game card against the control decks. I will almost always try to pressure out with an early GSZ for a 2 drop, then try to ram out some KotR from my hand, or durdle around with equipment to distract them.

I should mention that I run 2 Sylvan Library, and that usually helps more than any other card against control and B/x mid-range decks.

The idea of Silhana Ledgewalker is pretty cool, but I much prefer Scryb Ranger for the evasion slot. Both are tutorable, but the key is to find utility. You said early that you would be running 4x Mom, so she already provides the necessary protection for your creatures. Ranger at least gives you more utility and the ability to reuse Mom if need be on the same turn.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Quote Originally Posted by leeties View Post
    45% ? I had a 45% chance or better of beating Storm with just MD (4GSZ, Teeg, Mindcensor) on the play.

I'll say you have a 85% chance of winning any Storm MU with that SB on the play, and probably a 70+% chance on the draw.
    Sorry, but these numbers look completely bogus. Also, I think leyline is pretty terrible hate (for the same reason that true believer is, i.e. it doesn't stop the combo, just the kill, so they can just bounce it after a big AdN), I'd stick with more bears or counters/discard if you play the splash. I'd agree to the statement that storm combo is winnable (depending on your amount of SB hate), but it'll never be a positive MU, stop dreaming. Also, high tide is nearly unwinnable, and there's nothing we really can do about it. Other than that, the deck seems solid in today's meta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveric78f View Post
    In France, there is also some habits to say hello to your baker when you buy some bread, with no penalty if I don't. However if I don't do it, my fame is damaged. that is the reason why I always say hello to my baker in France.

Maverick had the best win% of any deck in Atlanta. 6 people played the deck. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Maëlig View Post
    Sorry, but these numbers look completely bogus. Also, I think leyline is pretty terrible hate (for the same reason that true believer is, i.e. it doesn't stop the combo, just the kill, so they can just bounce it after a big AdN), I'd stick with more bears or counters/discard if you play the splash. I'd agree to the statement that storm combo is winnable (depending on your amount of SB hate), but it'll never be a positive MU, stop dreaming. Also, high tide is nearly unwinnable, and there's nothing we really can do about it. Other than that, the deck seems solid in today's meta.

I'm considering Leyline because I'm worried about getting permanent hate or Zenith stripped from my hand by Duress/Seize in storm decks. It's also just another piece of hate that they have to remove. Leyline + Mother + Teeg/Canonist can be tricky to deal with. Regarding High Tide, isn't 2 hate cards and a clock enough to give us a chance? Also, Vial @ two with Teeg or Canonist (Edit: High Tide's Rebuild will return both Vial & Canonist, my mistake. Still works with Teeg) on the board or in hand is solid, if Vial builds are your thing. (Edit: This is all easy to do against 4xFOW, 4xScroll, Cunning Wish, Intuition, and 10+ cantrips, right?)
    Last edited by BlueNevus; 09-30-2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Regret...

Yeah hight tide will usually go off on turns 3-4-5. 3 turns is a fast start that will be rough to handle for any deck. By turn 4 and 5, maverick player should already have a board very well establised and some damage dealt.

I've beaten 2 high tides in 5 rounds in last tournament at local shop. first game is really tough but it's still winnable. Game 2-3 it's a different story. Ethersworn canonist and choke alongside an enlightened tutor toolbox sideboard is really stunning.
    There is no knowledge that it not power.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNevus View Post
    I'm considering Leyline because I'm worried about getting permanent hate or Zenith stripped from my hand by Duress/Seize in storm decks. It's also just another piece of hate that they have to remove.
    Storm combo players will usually (and should) side out their discard for some combination of bounce and removal, since they want to be able to deal with our bears.

You're right about high tide, but as you said that only works with teeg (which they can still potentially win through), requires vial (which most of us don't play anymore) and still folds to double bounce. Not a winning strategy by any means, although it's clearly the best we have (along with a clock).
    In France, there is also some habits to say hello to your baker when you buy some bread, with no penalty if I don't. However if I don't do it, my fame is damaged. that is the reason why I always say hello to my baker in France.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

I have played Maverick competitively for a couple of months now. I recently made a switch to Rock but I don't think it is nearly as strong so I am reverting to GWb Mav. I am not sure about my manabase though. Do I want Horizon Canopy? Should I maindeck a basic Swamp or Bojuka Bog? Here is what I currently play:

Creatures (20)
    1 Birds of Paradise
    3 Noble Hierarch
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Knight of the Reliquary

Spells (15)
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Vindicate

Artifacts (3)
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 Batterskull

Lands (22)
    4 Wasteland
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    2 Savannah
    2 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard (15)
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    1 Circle of Protection: Red
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Karakas

I currently don't own any Maze of Ith but I reckon it might be a good idea to add one somewhere.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post
    I have played Maverick competitively for a couple of months now. I recently made a switch to Rock but I don't think it is nearly as strong so I am reverting to GWb Mav. I am not sure about my manabase though. Do I want Horizon Canopy? Should I maindeck a basic Swamp or Bojuka Bog? Here is what I currently play:

Creatures (20)
    1 Birds of Paradise
    3 Noble Hierarch
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Knight of the Reliquary

Spells (15)
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Vindicate

Artifacts (3)
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 Batterskull

Lands (22)
    4 Wasteland
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    2 Savannah
    2 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard (15)
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    1 Circle of Protection: Red
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Karakas

I currently don't own any Maze of Ith but I reckon it might be a good idea to add one somewhere.
    I would cut a pridemage and add a scryb ranger in the maindeck. 2 pridemages and 4 green sun should be enough if you need them.
    There is no knowledge that it not power.

Quote Originally Posted by mordraid View Post
    I would cut a pridemage and add a scryb ranger in the maindeck. 2 pridemages and 4 green sun should be enough if you need them.
    Seconded, although I would add a teeg MD before ranger (in place of the 4th stoneforge?).

Today I finished 1st at a ~30 players tournament with maverick. I played a light blue splash for SB cards only (pierce, submerge and meddling mage), which was amazing. This gave me an edge in every single MU except vs merfolk, which is already a very good MU anyways. I went :
    2-0 vs CB thopter
    2-0 vs burn
    2-1 vs folk
    draw
    draw

Top 8 :
    2-1 vs BUGstill
    2-1 vs team america
    2-0 vs folk

Congratz man! Care to share your exact list?

Ended up 4-2 at SCG Indy with Maverick.

Round 1: Beat Mirror (friend and playtest buddy)
    Round 2: Lost to Reanimator
    Round 3: Beat Goblins
    Round 4: Beat Affinity
    Round 5: Beat Goblins
    Round 6: Lost to Team America

The Reanimator player finished 12, and the TA player finished 16th. There were quite a few other Maverick players floating around the X-1 bracket for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

Thread Information