Page 110 of 428 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120160210 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    I wouldn't put too much stock in this. The invitational was still going on.
    No it wasn't. Only the top 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

Resident Proctologist
    Oct 2008
    Muncie, Indiana

Indeed, only top 8 play sunday so the legacy turnout should be quite insane AND maverick won the invitational. While I do play punishing mav which is favored in the mirror.. it might just be time to find the anti maverick at this point.

This top8 reminds me of the first good showing of vengevival, where there were multiple flavors in the top8 but there aren't any real banworthy cards in this deck.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I might need to add a section to the new primer on how to win the mirror matchup. Ugh...
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Well then, shit. I guess brace for bannings? lol

Which brings me to another subject - EVERY TIME I PLAY A DECK IN LEGACY SOMETHING IN IT GETS BANNED. >:(
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Well then, shit. I guess brace for bannings? lol

Which brings me to another subject - EVERY TIME I PLAY A DECK IN LEGACY SOMETHING IN IT GETS BANNED. >:(
    QFT

(Damn you Survival! Damn you Mystical Tutor!)
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Don't phyresis me, bro!
    Sep 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI

Haha, ugh. And the way all the WotC coverage I've read LOVES to focus/dramatize on SFM being so "unbeatable/ubiquitous/ridiculous" I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow justified it's banning. Which would make perfect sense since naturally I just finished my foil playset.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

The hilarious part is that a lot of the newer Maverick builds have cut SFM for Thalia and more Jitte. Banning Stoneforge might actually just make Maverick better.
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by RJM View Post
    Haha, ugh. And the way all the WotC coverage I've read LOVES to focus/dramatize on SFM being so "unbeatable/ubiquitous/ridiculous" I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow justified it's banning. Which would make perfect sense since naturally I just finished my foil playset.
    I seriously doubt SFM would be the card they would choose to ban in this deck. A number of lists have been cutting them completely or running 2-3. SFM is quite possibly the least impacting creature in the deck for what Maverick wants to do. Looking at the cards individually and together I can't see any of the cards being banned based on their power levels. Maverick can be beat but people decline to build variations of their decks to beat it.

Don't phyresis me, bro!
    Sep 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Fade View Post
    I seriously doubt SFM would be the card they would choose to ban in this deck. A number of lists have been cutting them completely or running 2-3. SFM is quite possibly the least impacting creature in the deck for what Maverick wants to do. Looking at the cards individually and together I can't see any of the cards being banned based on their power levels. Maverick can be beat but people decline to build variations of their decks to beat it.
    Obviously I was being sarcastic. SFM to the well-informed legacy player is clearly not a problem card. (The point being WotC is NOT a "well-informed legacy player".)

And yeah, I'm only running 3 currently, and the first slot I really feel I need to cut for more high impact cards is going to be copy #3.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Although I wouldn't advocate banning anything, if it were to be anything it should probably either be Green Sun's Zenith or Knight of the Reliquary. GSZ at least they have precedent for banning in a format, and it's a very powerful spell, which they really hate, especially when it goes to non-blue colors.

Knight of the Reliquary is certainly the most powerful card in the deck and the reason for its existence however. Wizards even has the excuse that while it is a huge beatstick, it's not just a dumb beater. It gives the deck game against decks like Show and Tell and Reanimator that it really shouldn't have, and generally serves as a powerful tutor and utility critter when it's not attacking for eight or twelve damage.

But I think it's fundamentally impossible for Maverick to dominate the meta for long anyway, it's a fine deck but it has a lot of critical weaknesses that can be attacked fairly easily.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

I dont think anything needs to be banned in this deck for sure It just got very strong against alot of archetypes thanks to thalia imo. (unban survival !)

When I noticed maverick was taking over NL (the damn storm capital of europe I sometimes think) I decided to pick up hive mind. and our latest tournament (106) players contained as top decks being played: esperblade, Maverick and storm.

Neither Maverick nor storm made it into the top 8 while esperblade got 3 top 8's
    I managed to face 3 maverick players taking them all down and going to top 4 aswell. I think the meta wil just adjust to maverick like it has been done here aswell.

Unless everybody just picks up the best deck in the format (which I think indeed is Maverick with esper to a close 2nd)

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Ban brainstorm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Maverick, and I fear for GSZ somewhere down the line.

The famous phrase "frankly, because it was everywhere" echoes in the far reaches of my brain... Not again?

Let's hope people learn to adapt and beat it. Last time I checked, Maverick had trouble racing a Progenitus...

Site Contributor
    Dec 2007

The key card in GW/X maverick is not green sun's zenith, the most important card is mother of runes.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    The key card in GW/X maverick is not green sun's zenith, the most important card is mother of runes.
    Not really. You can tell both from how often people go down to 3 (sometimes even less, I've obviously preferred 0), despite having no way to tutor for or find them and despite the fact that it's easily strongest on turn 1.

By contrast GSZ functionally allows you to nearly double the number of Hierarchs and Knights you play, and Knight actually single-handedly takes over numerous games all by himself, whereas a lone Mom is a Drudge Skeleton, essentially.

This would probably be much closer to true of Fauna Shaman buids (or black builds running Dark Confidant) where you have multiple creatures that it's very important to protect, except there it's still clearly less important than first getting one of those game winning guys in play.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

If anything get banned, wich i doubt, it wont be a creature. Aside from ante, there is only 3 creatures on the banlist, and they all can generate combos.

I've looked at some survival lists before the banning of survival of the fittest and they looked quite ressembling to the maverick lists that are played since a year. The vengevine-survival engine has been replace by green's sun zenith, wich don't do degenerate stuff with vengevine. That's why i really doubt anything will be banned.
    There is no knowledge that it not power.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I disagree.

Green Sun's Zenith (GSZ) allows Maverick to be extraordinarily consistant, and with the creature package available to them - be set against almost anything the field has to throw at them.

Got paired against Dredge? GSZ - Scavenging Ooze.
    Worried about Wrath/Planeswalkers/Sneak Attack/Ad Nauseum/Time Spiral? GSZ - Gaddock Teeg.
    Umezawa's Jitte/Ensnaring Bridge/Moat getting you down? GSZ - Qasali Pridemage.
    Keep a low-land opener? Rampant Growth for 1! (GSZ - Dryad Arbor)
    Need a beater? GSZ - Knight of the Reliquary for 4's still pretty awesome.
    The list and scenarios go on...

The card, in itself, allows Maverick to get whatever they need, whenever they need it without a real draw-back. If card disadvantageous tutors that don't get you your spell immediately are bannable (ex: Mystical Tutor), surely a tutor lacking such disadvantage and gaining immediate access to a game-breaking target is worth carefully considering.

Take GSZ away, and now you force the Maverick player to mulligan for answers or become overall less consistant. That, in my opinion, would help balance the deck out a bit.

Jan 2011
    A little place called None of Your Damn Business

Just out of curiosity, has anyone looked at Knotvine Paladin or Jenara, Asura of War? I run the striaght G/W version.

2 Knotvine could be cool beaters especially with Moms and Hierarchs out. Mom and Sword of X and X can help him get through. If all you have out is Knotvine with say a Mom and a Hierarch he gets +3/+3 and then mom can give him proection from being blocked. I checked with a Judge and that is doable. that's a 5/5 attacking on turn 3. getting him through for 5-9 damage a turn also leaves KotR, Ooz back for defense if needed while still getting in for good damage. If you run Batterskull it also has great synergy with the Paladin. Just a thought

With Jenara I sometimes find myself wanting decent sized Flyer out. She gives is something to do with extra mana, is searchable with Zenith and running 4 Hierarchs alows us to cast her fairly easily. I'm talking about her as a one of as opposed to some other one of creature. Again just a thought.

Let me know what you guys think.

maverick is easily beatable. it gets ranched by storm and if you cannot get an ooze it gets ranched by reanimator.
    also fairly bad vs all loam strategies such as aggroloam or pox loam

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Not really. You can tell both from how often people go down to 3 (sometimes even less, I've obviously preferred 0), despite having no way to tutor for or find them and despite the fact that it's easily strongest on turn 1.

By contrast GSZ functionally allows you to nearly double the number of Hierarchs and Knights you play, and Knight actually single-handedly takes over numerous games all by himself, whereas a lone Mom is a Drudge Skeleton, essentially.
    I would go so far as to say that GSZ has really pushed the deck from good to great. An into play tutor for the best beaters and utility creatures in the game is immensely powerful, versatile and increases consistency across the spectrum. It already had Mom, KotR, SFM as Maverick pre GSZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Thread Information