Page 117 of 428 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127167217 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

How come no one uses tabernacle to fight dredge, token decks, and other creature ramping decks, affinity, elves?

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar of Shadow View Post
    How come no one uses tabernacle to fight dredge, token decks, and other creature ramping decks, affinity, elves?
    Because we are one of those creature ramping decks

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by MiniLuv View Post
    Because we are one of those creature ramping decks
    yea...not saying it should be MD...but maybe a sideboard card to stop those elves, goblins, or dredge.

I know elves is a very very difficult matchup

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

yea...not saying it should be MD...but maybe a sideboard card to stop those elves, goblins, or dredge.

I know elves is a very very difficult matchup
    Elves can combo out and ignore Tabernacle with Gaea's Cradle - not the best solution against them.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Elves can combo out and ignore Tabernacle with Gaea's Cradle - not the best solution against them.
    Then how do you guys fight combo elves.

That matchup is harder than playing against ANT

I know we use like 2-3 ethersworn cannonist..is that about it?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Then how do you guys fight combo elves.

That matchup is harder than playing against ANT

I know we use like 2-3 ethersworn cannonist..is that about it?
    Canonist to slow them down form comboing, then Jitte to clean up their board. StP/Gut Shot/Path to Exile to stop them from early combo. This is another matchup where having access to SFM->Jitte is pretty important.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Don't phyresis me, bro!
    Sep 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Canonist to slow them down form comboing, then Jitte to clean up their board. StP/Gut Shot/Path to Exile to stop them from early combo. This is another matchup where having access to SFM->Jitte is pretty important.
    Having an EE in the board has been great to supplement the above plan as well. Not to mention it's usefulness in the mirror, etc.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Before Dark Ascension, you had the normal G/W Maverick decks, Naya Maverick decks that added Punishing Fire for better game against control and weenie strategies, and Bant Maverick decks that added Brainstorm, countermagic, Cliques, and Geist for stronger matchups against combo as well as hexproof beaters against control. You could make a case for any of them being the best variant, and all three variants saw significant amount of play.

Recently, it seems like the generic G/W Maverick decks have become more popular. Is Thalia enough to shore up most of the weaknesses against combo, while providing an added boost against control? Obviously, there is dissynergy between Thalia and spells like Punishing Fire/Brainstorm. It seems that most Maverick players believe Thalia + a more stable manabase that will allow more Wastelands is the way to go. Is this the consensus now?

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    Before Dark Ascension, you had the normal G/W Maverick decks, Naya Maverick decks that added Punishing Fire for better game against control and weenie strategies, and Bant Maverick decks that added Brainstorm, countermagic, Cliques, and Geist for stronger matchups against combo as well as hexproof beaters against control. You could make a case for any of them being the best variant, and all three variants saw significant amount of play.

Recently, it seems like the generic G/W Maverick decks have become more popular. Is Thalia enough to shore up most of the weaknesses against combo, while providing an added boost against control? Obviously, there is dissynergy between Thalia and spells like Punishing Fire/Brainstorm. It seems that most Maverick players believe Thalia + a more stable manabase that will allow more Wastelands is the way to go. Is this the consensus now?
    Yup, Thalia is THAT good in maverick. The fact that she got first strike is just a sweet bonus with exalted ability. She almost swing everytime at 3/2 - 4/3, wich is pretty good. punishing fire was about the same as maverick but, made to destroy generic maverick. Now Thalia just shut down more the punishing strategy, so why playing something else ?
    There is no knowledge that it not power.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

I dunno, I'd rather run Jace myself. Also before people talk about how Thalia has suddenly made the deck amazing, keep in mind that only about half of the lists (at least from what I've seen) that have been Top 8'ing have been maindecking her, and that usually as a two of.

The deck's doing well because more people are playing it and the fundamentals of the deck are really strong. The variance of individual lists is relatively unimportant as long as they stick to the core strategy; GSZ toolbox, equipment, mana ramp, Knights.

Not to say that there's not a best list or that people shouldn't work on finding it, but I wouldn't get so wrapped up in a card that some lists are running as a two or three of that you start thinking that's what's making the deck work.

I have a question for some of the Thalia lists though; why do I still see her next to Aven Mindcensor? Since this effect really just gets better in multiples you'd think peoples' go to maindeck hatebear at this point would be Glowrider. Cut the Elspeths and expensive equipment and just run Jitte and maybe a 3/3 Thalia/Glowrider split. At least that would be my first impulse.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Imo it is not about synergy but about card quality. Glowrider is just too bad while Mindcensor is at the edge of being good enough so some play him and others don't. Wizards probably won't print a 2/1 Flying Flash First Strike Legendary Mindcensor for 1W.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

New Spoiler -
    Sigarda, Host of Herons - 2GWW - Flying, Hexproof, 5/5, spells and abilities your opponents control can't cause you to sacrifice permanents

Hexproof and Protection from Annihilation and most Black stuff. It lacks Thrun's uncounterability but otherwise seems a really good option.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I have a question for some of the Thalia lists though; why do I still see her next to Aven Mindcensor? Since this effect really just gets better in multiples you'd think peoples' go to maindeck hatebear at this point would be Glowrider. Cut the Elspeths and expensive equipment and just run Jitte and maybe a 3/3 Thalia/Glowrider split. At least that would be my first impulse.
    You don't really need multiple Thalia effects since only one will slow down combo enough to get through. I've alway fin mindcensor to be so-so. I've cut them a while ago and never looked back.
    There is no knowledge that it not power.

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I dunno, I'd rather run Jace myself. Also before people talk about how Thalia has suddenly made the deck amazing, keep in mind that only about half of the lists (at least from what I've seen) that have been Top 8'ing have been maindecking her, and that usually as a two of.

The deck's doing well because more people are playing it and the fundamentals of the deck are really strong. The variance of individual lists is relatively unimportant as long as they stick to the core strategy; GSZ toolbox, equipment, mana ramp, Knights.

Not to say that there's not a best list or that people shouldn't work on finding it, but I wouldn't get so wrapped up in a card that some lists are running as a two or three of that you start thinking that's what's making the deck work.

I agree, I have not been a fan of Thalia. However, Stoneforge Mystic doesn't really carry it's weight in the deck and a logical choice is to cut back the Stoneforge Mystics to play Thalia. I don't really agree with it which is why I'm exploring other choices in those slots right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fade View Post
    I agree, I have not been a fan of Thalia. However, Stoneforge Mystic doesn't really carry it's weight in the deck and a logical choice is to cut back the Stoneforge Mystics to play Thalia. I don't really agree with it which is why I'm exploring other choices in those slots right now.
    Has Leonin Arbiter been tested in this deck?

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    New Spoiler -
    Sigarda, Host of Herons - 2GWW - Flying, Hexproof, 5/5, spells and abilities your opponents control can't cause you to sacrifice permanents

Hexproof and Protection from Annihilation and most Black stuff. It lacks Thrun's uncounterability but otherwise seems a really good option.
    Nic Fit tech?

My initial reaction is that the new Angel will work better in Nic Fit decks than Maverick, because getting to six mana to GSZ it out is asking a lot. Still, it rules once it hits the board. It also seems good for those long, stalemated mirror matches (if you could reliably get the mana to cast it that is).
    I see more than others do because I know where to look.

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by randomly.anonymous View Post
    Has Leonin Arbiter been tested in this deck?
    I don't think he has but he doesn't play well with our fetches and our GSZ. Right now I'm testing the Fauna Shaman/Loyal Retainers for Linvala, Iona, a single Thalia, and Elesh Norn so Leonin Arbiter wouldn't do well in that list either.

Right now Maverick has a lot of room to be analyzed and configured to do well. Our main problem right now is going to be playing against other Maverick matches while still putting up enough pressure against combo. Every list has the potential to do well and there is not a "best" list to run yet which is why I'm testing the crap out of different configurations to see which one I'm more comfortable with.

Leonin Arbiter might due well in a Maverick list that runs Thalia/Glowrider and Aven Mindcensor as a way to soft lock the opponent out of the game but you would have to consider cutting or lowering both the GSZ and fetchland count.

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    New Spoiler -

This guy seems really good in g/w as a one of target for zenith or to hardcast. Also 5 mana is a bargain and can easily be created when you are running heirarchs/gaes cradle. Definitely a 1 of auto include in my g/w deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    baghdadbob, you're Team Scrubbad's spirit animal.

Whoa, just saw Sigarda.

Looks very easy and seems quite worth it from here, to put at least one in as GSZ target between sideboard and library.

Thread Information