Page 133 of 428 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183233 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,660 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

Tsunami seems like a better approach here than Armageddon against control.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Or even better, you can play a 3-mana Tsunami called Choke. Instead of being bad with Thalia, it has some synergy going on there.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    Or even better, you can play a 3-mana Tsunami called Choke. Instead of being bad with Thalia, it has some synergy going on there.
    Why isn't Choke bad with Thalia? And Chocke is easier to handle, due to cards like Plains, Glacial Fortress ... casting a Disenchant.
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

I think he means choke makes the opponent tap more islands thnx to thalia

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

I don't get it either. Not getting to destroy their plains and weirdolands like Glacial Fortress seems to suck a lot. Also, our Knight don't get lethal.

Anyway, this Armageddon plan sounds more like an incentive from SCG to sell cards which are too heavily stocked. I can see the coolness of Armageddon, but not the usefulness. It already is super expensive, even more expensive with Thalia and uncastable with Gaddock out. Gaddock is probably the better answer against UW, but still a flawed one. Zeniths and Planeswalkers become worse if you play multiple Gaddocks, which I'm ok with, but the bigger drawback is still not being able to overextent as a Sword / Path / Snapcaster followed by Terminus still says GG. If you can protect Gaddock with either Mom or even better, Sylvan Safekeeper, things should look good. Hatebear + protector is also good against most combodecks. I can easily imagine cutting a Mother from the maindeck if you are tight on space, or at least find space for a maindeck Sylvan Safekeeper, protecting our hatebears was never so important as it is today.

Nov 2007
    Finland

armageddon was a nice piece of tech in New horizons and it might as well be a decent card at some point against some really heavy control deck, but not with Thalia. And it would beg you to play Terravore as well.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Jun 2011
    Russia, SPb

As much as I know there are no problems with heavy control decks at present. I don't know what kind of problems Armageddon could solve, so I believe it doesn't belong to this deck.
    The biggest problem for me is Sneak'n Show. What do you think about playing 2 karakas md? Instead of the second plains for example?
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted...

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

If you want to beat heavy control decks, sideboard more Gaddock Teegs. Rumor has it that card eats UW Miracles. Also, like I've been telling people for a year now, Sylvan Safekeeper is a real card. In a lot of situations, it outshines Mother of Runes.

A Safekeeper and a Gaddock Teeg on the board is essentially game over for UW Miracles. They'll never get enough removal to beat the Safekeeper, and have no real way to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by door View Post
    The biggest problem for me is Sneak'n Show. What do you think about playing 2 karakas md? Instead of the second plains for example?
    That sounds decent.
    A good card for Mav right now is Crop Rotation.
    Post board it can get Karakas against SnT/Reanimator, or Bob against Dredge/Reanimator, other than getting whatever you may need any given time.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post
    That sounds decent.
    A good card for Mav right now is Crop Rotation.
    Post board it can get Karakas against SnT/Reanimator, or Bob against Dredge/Reanimator, other than getting whatever you may need any given time.
    My favorite use is +2/+2 for Knight against Burn/lethal damage. :P
    West side
    My Legacy stream

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Crop Rotation's okay if your metagame warrants it. It's a little narrow, though, and I'd only do it if Dredge was a serious contender in a specific tournament - Rotation is at its best against Dredge, firing off with Narcomoeba triggers on the stack and whatnot, and Dredge is the only deck listed that can't just counter the Crop Rotation and leave you in six worlds of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

If we were to design a Maverick build with the explicit purpose of having positive Sneak Show and RUG matchups, how would we go about building it?

I think that Mother of Runes would be on the chopping block for such a build, along with Pridemage dropping back down to x2 or even x1. Fauna Shaman / Linvala are still fairly decent for being flexible and give us a maindeck out against Griselbrand. I would even consider trying out 1x Crop Rotation as an extra "kotr activation".
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Splash blue to give you a chance at combating it on the stack? Opens up sideboard options like Meddling Mage as well.

Jan 2011
    Italy

If we were to design a Maverick build with the explicit purpose of having positive Sneak Show and RUG matchups, how would we go about building it?

I think that Mother of Runes would be on the chopping block for such a build, along with Pridemage dropping back down to x2 or even x1. Fauna Shaman / Linvala are still fairly decent for being flexible and give us a maindeck out against Griselbrand. I would even consider trying out 1x Crop Rotation as an extra "kotr activation".
    Why you suggest to cut Qasali when it allow us to bounce the creature with karakas and destroy S. Attacck on response?
    I think another good option could be to increase to 4 the copies of Thalia Maindeck!

I also think that another way is to play a sideboard with some copies of Flusterstorm/Spell Pierce (for Show and Tel) and Pithing needle/phyrexian revoker (for S. Attacck and Griselbrand).

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Maybe faster acceleration that they can't actually deal with. Right now we have Nobles and Dryad which speeds us up and Thalia to slow them down. But all of those die to their various bolts. Maybe something like Chrome Mox or Mox Diamond could help and might be a good starting position. The Moxen also plays around wasteland pretty well too.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Play 4 Karakas
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

There are lots of situational cards you could run - an extra Karakas (or 3, as menace suggests), Parallax Wave, Teeg, KotR, Retribution of the Meek, Ensnaring Bridge, Phyrexian Metamorph, Phyrexian Revoker, red splash for Pyroblast/Red Elemental Blast (especially effective with Teeg and Canonist in play), Tariff, Sigarda, Host of Herons (limited interaction with Emrakul), Angel of Jubilation (limited interaction with Griselbrand), Peacekeeper, Pithing Needle.

Maybe the best bet is running 3 Ensnaring Bridge in the board and either 1) drop it into play of Show and Tell, or 2) Ramp to it turn 2/3 (before they can cast/use Sneak Attack).

Kismet or any other cards that make creatures come into play tapped.
    Last edited by Water_Wizard; 06-09-2012 at 04:11 AM.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Ensnaring Bridge isn't a real answer post-board. Sneak and Show runs Echoing Truth in the board. They drop Griselbrand; you drop Ensnaring Bridge. They pay life and find their bounce spell, then attack and gain back the life. It's very, very easy for them to sculpt a hand for almost any situation when they can snap-draw 7. I feel like people don't appreciate how huge that ability is. Peacekeeper has the same problem. Both would be great in Game 1, however. Retribution of the Meek likely gets Forced off their draw 7, so I don't like that. I feel like Pithing Needle and Revoker are best because you can play them proactively and Show them in. They prevent the Sneak and Show player from drawing when they Show in Griselbrand. Then you can Swords him or bounce him with Karakas, or drop Knight a turn later and then find Karakas. Ultimately, you want a lot of live cards against the deck that overlap. Four Karakas is too many, since they have no way to destroy it. If they DO have a way to destroy it, then maybe four is fine, but I would rather run 2 Karakas along with 2 other answers than run 4 Karakas.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Badnt.
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

I'm not sure if this is trick question or not :)

If you want to beat Sneak and Show and RUG, the obvious choice is not to play Maverick.

If you want to beat Sneak and Show and RUG and keep the Maverick shell, splash black for discard and edict effects, then you're basically playing Junk.

EDIT: The RUG match up isn't really that bad. It's mainly sneak and show we need to worry about.
    Last edited by Water_Wizard; 06-09-2012 at 04:12 AM.

Thread Information