Page 151 of 428 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161201251 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,020 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    Punishing Mav beats tribal more handily than GW mav. Punishing Mav also has a better match-up vs. RUG and UW.
    The case I'm making is that you can run normal GW Maverick with SFM for jitte or maybe even batterskull. This takes no more slots than punishing fire/groves would.

Umezawa's Jitte is good in most match-ups and is a better catch-all, but Merfolk will often-times run their own for the legend rule (heck, even Elves is running a copy of Jitte). It's true, Punishing Fire can be eaten by an Ooze or Extracted, but it's solid tech vs. Tribal and I believe Punishing is more favorable vs. most non-combo blue decks.
    Is this really an argument? Jitte is worse than punishing fire against Merfolk because they run their own Jitte? I'd be pretty terrified if they had Jitte. Plus, you can get Batterskull too which they just lose to. Punishing fire/groves just takes too much work to setup, when you can just play a Jitte and get the same effect with a single card.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

The benefit to playing Pfires is that you gain a better aggro and control matchup in addition to better sideboard options. The drawback here is that you have less consistency and less GSZ toolbox options.

Yes, you can say Jitte is also removal but it's much slower and requires you to get it on a creature and attacking.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

You want to beat tribal add red for real removal like bolt, not PFires. Also, add goyf back into the deck. He freaking wrecks goblins and merfolk. I enjoy big zoo for this reason, I run knights, goyfs, oozes, qpm, 8 1 mana removal spells, jittes, and flex removal spots like arc trail/grim lavamancer. If you're gonna stay in gw maverick shell then you're going to run into problems with decks that can swarm you since maverick really only runs 4 scary creatures (knights), all the other ones are mainly there to supplement knight or stop other mid range decks.
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I can echo that - Big Zoo or Zoo in general is one of the ways to beat the growing Tribal trend. However, that is only a good idea when the metagame is infested with them. It won't make sense against a wide-open field with any number of unfair strategies not held in check.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

May 2006
    Philippines

@koby
    maybe big zoo can take a page out of the mav's play book by adding thalia in the sb vs combo decks.

yup big zoo can own mav or tribal easy, but te question is why, nobody is playing it and people are keep on pushing with punishing mav. they almost have the same card pool. even if you add thalia in the big zoo list casting R +1 cc for a bolt is still worth it over a 3cc pfires.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    The benefit to playing Pfires is that you gain a better aggro and control matchup in addition to better sideboard options. The drawback here is that you have less consistency and less GSZ toolbox options.

Yes, you can say Jitte is also removal but it's much slower and requires you to get it on a creature and attacking.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by zulander View Post
    You want to beat tribal add red for real removal like bolt, not PFires. Also, add goyf back into the deck. He freaking wrecks goblins and merfolk. I enjoy big zoo for this reason, I run knights, goyfs, oozes, qpm, 8 1 mana removal spells, jittes, and flex removal spots like arc trail/grim lavamancer. If you're gonna stay in gw maverick shell then you're going to run into problems with decks that can swarm you since maverick really only runs 4 scary creatures (knights), all the other ones are mainly there to supplement knight or stop other mid range decks.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I can echo that - Big Zoo or Zoo in general is one of the ways to beat the growing Tribal trend. However, that is only a good idea when the metagame is infested with them. It won't make sense against a wide-open field with any number of unfair strategies not held in check.
    +1

Additionally, the Pyroblasts in the board of Punishing Mav / Zoo (if you run Pyroblast in your Zoo list) wreck Merfolk. Pyroblast is a PTE, except better because it doesn't give them an Island, grows you Goyf (+1 to playing Goyf against Tribal), and can be eaten by your Ooze.

One final note, I don't think Punishing Fires takes up more room than Thalia. If anything, they take up the same amount of room. You are running the same number of lands (23) in both decks and in the Punishing Fire version you add 3 Punishing Fires and 1 Life from the Loam (to support your weaker mana base) for 4 Thalias. You also swap a Noble Heirarch for a Birds of Paradise and make some switches in the mana base to support R, but neither package takes up more room. They are just good against different decks. I'll make a broad generalization here and say Thalia is better against all 'unfair' decks while Punishing Fire is better against all 'fair' decks.

Anyhow, enough of this Punishing Maverick talk. It was just an idea I brought up in anticipation of a revival of Tribal and it's turned into a major debate (as I guess most things do on The Source).

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Just thinking out loud here... but what about something janky like a Natural Order SB plan into like Elderscale Wurm. GG Elves/Goblins/Burn (the worst ones). Merfolk has counters/Submerge, but I don't think it's too bad a MU anyways.

Not necessarily.

If ur having trouble against tribal decks, just go with 4 stoneforge mystics and some jitte's.

PF are useless and worst VS S&S, combo and reanimator.
    aggro deck like merfolk and goblin are bye! if u have some problems add mystic into jitte or another path.
    PS:
    scryb ranger is god vs merfolk.

instead elf is a bad matchup and i dont know how play vs it.
    now elf has responses vs linvala and canonist, my generic sb. vs this match.
    which are the best card vs elf???

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by xiaocho View Post
    Not necessarily.

If ur having trouble against tribal decks, just go with 4 stoneforge mystics and some jitte's.
    Quote Originally Posted by .:saturno:. View Post
    PF are useless and worst VS S&S, combo and reanimator.
    aggro deck like merfolk and goblin are bye! if u have some problems add mystic into jitte or another path.
    PS:
    scryb ranger is god vs merfolk.

instead elf is a bad matchup and i dont know how play vs it.
    now elf has responses vs linvala and canonist, my generic sb. vs this match.
    which are the best card vs elf???
    Simply adding more Jitte / Stoneforge is not the solution for fighting aggro decks. Typically, Jitte costs you 5W to get online (1W for Stoneforge, 4 to play Jitte & Equip). During that time, Merfolk can have multiple lords out to get out of Jitte killing range, Goblins can have built up an army and are swinging for lethal, and Elves can very well have gone off with Glimpse.

Vs aggro decks, you need cheap, cost efficient removal to survive the early turns. Jitte is there to seal the deal once you've stabilized.

well if the merfolk player gets lord after lord there's hardly anything u can do against him. he just got lucky.

same goes for u getting jitte online in the 3rd turn.

As for me sfm+jitt is all i need to have a positive matchup with my decklist.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

It's not very probable for us to get a Jitte online on T3. That requires us to go T1 Hierarch, T2 Stoneforge, T3 play Jitte, Equip without missing a land drop or them Force/Dazing.

Assuming you use the Stoneforge's activated ability to drop the Jitte so it doesn't get countered, we still don't have an active creature to put it on.

The way you beat the multiple Lord hands is to just crush them with removal, which is what Pfires helps with. If you get PFires active and can keep them to 1 Lord on the board at a time, you can just pick off Lords as they play them. PFires is also great at dealing with the Phantasmal Images that are so popular these days. Post board, you have access to Pyroblast/REBs as well. Finally, you don't play PFires instead of the Stoneforge package, you play it in addition to it.

Dec 2011
    Heidelberg

if you play more jitte instead of mystic you can hardcast turn 2 with daze mana open and equip turn 3.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Thorondor View Post
    if you play more jitte instead of mystic you can hardcast turn 2 with daze mana open and equip turn 3.
    On your... Noble Hierarch? Also, are you.suggesting playing more than 2 Jittes in order to achieve this?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Honestly, in my experience, Batterskull is better than Jitte for surviving those early Merfolk-nutting-lords-on-your-face turns. It's easier to get active against Merfolk and immediately has an effect on the board when you drop it (usually kills one of your guys while negating another through the life gain).

However, I think Batterskull is still fairly bad in the current meta, but that might change if aggro tribal (I don't count current Elves lists as aggro anymore) continues to gain in popularity.

Dec 2011
    Heidelberg

I agree, that there is no room for a batterskull atm. We just need to hope we can survive the onslaught and then win with bigger creatures, maze, scryb ranger....
    and need maybe some slots in the sideboard, but it is still not sure that merfolk will make a comeback. I don't see it coming right now.

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

I don't think batterskull is bad in the current meta at all. RUG Delver and Tribal both almost auto-lose to that card if it gets into play. Additionally, control decks are starting to see more play, and the recursion of batterskull is very hard to deal with unless they are able to counterspell it.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

One other option against tribal decks is loyal retainers/elesh norn. Sure you need to work and keep fauna shaman active, but when elesh resolves its game over. Have tested and came to the conclusion that in order to work we have to aim for this plan to work. That means at least 3 fauna shamans, sylvan safekeeper and even quirion ranger along with sryb ranger.

need some criticism on some interested tech that I for 1 have not yet seen addressed, but first let me post my decklist:
    creatures-25
    4x Mother of runes
    4x Noble hierarch
    4x knight of the reliquary
    3x thalia, gaurdian of thraben
    2x scavenging ooze
    2x qasali pridemage
    1x painter's servant
    1x scryb ranger
    1x aven mindscensor
    1x dryad arbor
    1x Ulven wald tracker
    1x Stoneforge mystic

Spells-10
    4x sword to plowshares
    4x green sun's zenith
    2x enlightened tutor

Walkers-1
    1x elspeth knight-errant

equiptment-2
    1x sword of body and mind
    1x umezawa's jitte

Lands-23
    4x savannah
    4x windswept heath
    4x wasteland
    2x cavern of souls
    1x gaea's cradle
    1x dryad arbor
    1x karakas
    1x maze of ith
    1x horizon canopy
    2x forest
    1x planes

SB
    2x choke
    2x ethersworn cannonist
    1x phyrexian revoker
    1x krosan grip
    2x surgical extracion
    1x bojuka bog
    1x umezawa's jitte
    1x peacekeeper
    1x grindstone
    1x true believer
    1x linvala, keeper of silence
    1x gaddok teeg

first I chose to add Painter's servant in the main deck it creates interesting synergy with GSZ, mother of runes, and sword of body and mind (Naming Green)
    second was the sword of body and mind I added so I can protect knight/ooze from submerge/mind harness and also makes my dude unblockable if servant is online.
    with these changes it allows me to GSZ for any creature I need (Revoker, thalia, mother of runes, ethersworn cannonist, ect)
    with the main deck changes I chose to run surgical extractions because of the synergy with sword of body and mind, and grindstone for obvious reasons.
    sword of body and mind also acts like a all you can eat buffet for ooze.
    im not really sure if this is the correct route to take with Maverick and it may just be just some "cute" tech, but that is why I come to you with this idea before I decide to give it a try.

any assistance and guidance on this would be greatly appreciated!

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

If you name green with Painter's Servant, you can't equip Sword of Body and Mind to any of your guys and if it's already equipped it falls off.

Seems like Painter's Servant is too cute to be worth running, but I'm interested in hearing how it does for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

Thread Information