Page 10 of 428 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by raptorcardz View Post
    How is this deck better than zoo and how would you convince a BUG control player to play something non-blue?
    You get to play a SFM dedicated deck, with much more stable manabase. Admittedly, it's Zoo w/o the red duals, which isn't much of a selling point in this blue metagame. :\
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by raptorcardz View Post
    How is this deck better than zoo and how would you convince a BUG control player to play something non-blue?
    I don't play Maverick (I'm primarily a Zoo player), but Maverick is capable of running more creatures and better creatures than Zoo. Stoneforge package backed up by Mother of Runes with Mirran Crusader, as some decks run, is pretty sweet. It can also support more Wastelands than Zoo.

The disadvantages are that it can't support Wild Nacatl, it runs significantly less removal, and it has no reach like Zoo does. I also think red sideboard options from Zoo are great in the current metagame.

May 2006
    Philippines

hello all
    i posted earlier but non bothered to answer my question... with all the MAVERICK rush in the meta... what are your game plans against a fellow maverick deck..., and do you think allotting cards in your sideboard against maverick mirror is a good move.

Jun 2011
    Dortmund/Germany

Shizzle + Wasteland:

We ave been brewing around since december with several form of maverick, coming from gw Taxes to our builds as of now here in the Dortmund Region. What are your sentiments about NO Prog in Maverick? I still like it as is the Oops i win button against a lot of decks, but Aven might be the better choice with the rise of RUG Order.

Feel free to comment my actual list, still looking for improvements:

// Lands

2 [UNH] Forest
    1 [ZEN] Plains (4a)
    2 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
    3 [TE] Wasteland
    2 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
    4 [ON] Windswept Heath
    3 [R] Savannah
    1 [FUT] Dryad Arbor
    1 [LG] Karakas
    1 [US] Gaea's Cradle
    1 [B] Tropical Island

// Creatures
    3 [ARB] Qasali Pridemage
    2 [TSP] Scryb Ranger
    3 [UL] Mother of Runes
    4 [CFX] Noble Hierarch
    4 [CFX] Knight of the Reliquary
    1 [FD] Eternal Witness
    3 [WWK] Stoneforge Mystic
    1 [OD] Terravore
    1 [CFX] Progenitus
    1 [OD] Wild Mongrel

// Spells
    4 [IA] Swords to Plowshares
    1 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
    4 [VI] Natural Order
    4 [MBS] Green Sun's Zenith
    2 [LG] Sylvan Library
    1 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 [NPH] Batterskull

// Sideboard SB:
    2 [ALA] Ethersworn Canonist
    1 [WWK] Terastodon
    1 [LRW] Gaddock Teeg
    1 [MBS] Thrun, the Last Troll
    3 [ZEN] Summoning Trap
    3 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
    2 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
    2 [CFX] Path to Exile

61 Cards, so i might cut the Mongrel and change 1 Scryb Ranger for a Quirion. Even though the Spell Pierces worked great pre Misstep, i feel like they aren't needed anymore. If i get of them, the Tropical will leave and i am not 100% sold on the Cradle, as i tend to have it in my opening 7 without another green source.

May 2006
    Moscow, Russia

I think that sideboard with white can be just as flexible as sideboard with red. In fact I'd generally play this deck over Zoo. Whenever I build the sideboard, I'm asking myself, why do I want red? Generally, red gives you the red blasts. Which can be used
    1) Against Merfolk
    2) To win counter battles
    3) To stop some combo cards
    4) To limit control decks/JTMS, I guess

That's why I run them in the RUG Order. Merfolk is a good match up already (for both Zoo and Maverick), and you're not likely to win counter battles with either deck (seeing as combo decks run both FoW and Misstep now). And its not likely you run a spell that absolutely needs resolving, like Natural Order.
    Blasts stops Show and Tell and JTMS, right, but the SNT/Control decks run counters, they generally run Missteps, again you're unlikely to win this 'counterbattle' and it requires you to have mana open and mainly there're better cards to fight this stuff.

For these very reasons, when I've played big Zoo, I've never run the Blasts - they are barely needed and barely work at all in this kind of deck. That's why I think they're unnecessary in Maverick and the G/W SB is finely work.

Now, onto why Maverick is better than Zoo. Personally I'd play with Maverick today over Zoo (when I say Zoo I mean big Zoo, as 'fast' Zoo is quite different) any day.
    1) It runs more sizeable threats and is capable of deploying and protecting (Mother of Runes) them much faster.
    2) It runs better disruption package (more wastelands, Mindcensors, Thrun, teeg etc) and can deploy them faster than Zoo, which is important.
    3) Manabase, being G/W and having more fixers/accel is more stable.
    4) It generally runs more gas and more Horizon Canopies to help lategame.

Zoo has some selling points too though
    1) Nacatl for early offense, and Lavamancer/Pfire for "recursive" burn
    2) Some reach, although with the amount of burn, its really marginal, you're likely to win through combat

Dec 2010
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStarDeceiver View Post
    stuff + list
    NO maverick is generally called zeta bomb, here's a list for example : http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...9&iddeck=42835

It's generally developped on the italian forum. Most lists include Rafiq and some even go fauna + loyal retainers.

Dec 2010
    SO Cal

Quote Originally Posted by _erbs_ View Post
    hello all
    i posted earlier but non bothered to answer my question... with all the MAVERICK rush in the meta... what are your game plans against a fellow maverick deck..., and do you think allotting cards in your sideboard against maverick mirror is a good move.
    I really think Aven Mindcensor is really good against mirror it affects alot of the strong points of the deck like SFM GSZ and KOTR and this deck also has a weakness against equipped flyers.
    when I tested with ruckus it came down to who has elspeth first

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

For the mirror 3 things matter the most:

1: Mother of Runes: Play 4. I keep preching this since forever and it seems by now most people have come to the same conclusion. In the mirror MoR is imo the most important card. Playing without turn 1 MoR vs.turn 1 MoR is extremely difficult because you lose too much Tempo playing around it.

2: Equipment: Obviously very important. Make sure to play 4 SFM, a Green Sword and if the Meta is heavily GW infected also a White Sword maindeck. For the same reason play at least 3 Qasali Pridemages. Also run one Witness because it will get back used Qasali's, destroyed Equipment or Swords to Plowshares.

3: Evasion: Scryb Ranger is awesome in the Mirror so play at least one MD for GSZ in the new Meta. Getting Scryb Ranger + MoR online is hard to beat. Mindcensor is solid as well as Elspeth for reasons stated by Proxy. Also 1 Bird of Paradise instead of one / on top of your Hierarchs. Finally the one Terravore also counts as Evasion.

With those things you should be well equipped for the mirror and from then on it gets pretty skill intensive unless one has a draw that blows the other out.

Here's what I built on MODO. I've only had it build for a couple days, but I've managed to grind with it in the practice room and run it through a few 2-mans and the list is just a monster.

4 Wasteland
    3 Savannah
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Horizon Canopy
    2 Plains
    2 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Tundra
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Karakas

4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Birds of Paradise
    2 Tarmogoyf
    3 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    3 Mother of Runes
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Rhox War Monk
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg

3 Mental Misstep
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire/Ice
    1 Umezewa's Jitte
    1 Sensei's Divining Top

Sideboard:
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Thrun, the Shotgun
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Ethersworn Cannonist
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Choke
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Relic of Progenitals
    1 Bojuka Bog

I'd just like some advice from people who have been playing this deck for longer than I have.

First of all, I feel like I want more firepower in the maindeck, can/should I fit Thrun into the starting 60? How does everyone feel about mindbreak trap in the board? Is cannonist better? Also, I originally started the list with a scryb ranger, but hated it. Anyone else dislike her?

Also, I know the top should be a sylvan library, but I'm too lazy to buy one
    Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    On a more constructive note: Anything can be funny, even if it is about rape.
    TIME POLICE

Here's what I built on MODO. I've only had it build for a couple days, but I've managed to grind with it in the practice room and run it through a few 2-mans and the list is just a monster.

4 Wasteland
    3 Savannah
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Horizon Canopy
    2 Plains
    2 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Tundra
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Karakas

4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Birds of Paradise
    2 Tarmogoyf
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    3 Mother of Runes
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Rhox War Monk
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg

3 Mental Misstep
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire/Ice
    1 Umezewa's Jitte
    1 Sensei's Divining Top

Sideboard:
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Thrun, the Shotgun
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Ethersworn Cannonist
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Choke
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Relic of Progenitals
    1 Bojuka Bog

I'd just like some advice from people who have been playing this deck for longer than I have.

First of all, I feel like I want more firepower in the maindeck, can/should I fit Thrun into the starting 60? How does everyone feel about mindbreak trap in the board? Is cannonist better? Also, I originally started the list with a scryb ranger, but hated it. Anyone else dislike her?

Also, I know the top should be a sylvan library, but I'm too lazy to buy one
    TIME POLICE

The one and only Incurable Ham
    Apr 2010
    Columbus, OH

honestabe, and everyone else who has tested Mental Misstep, how relevant has it been in your testing? Is the disruption worth cutting 2-3 threats/extra utility pieces? What matchups has it been good/bad in?

Dec 2010
    SO Cal

Quote Originally Posted by TossUsToLions View Post
    honestabe, and everyone else who has tested Mental Misstep, how relevant has it been in your testing? Is the disruption worth cutting 2-3 threats/extra utility pieces? What matchups has it been good/bad in?
    I'm 60/40 in favor of Mental Misstep really great in my opening hand really mediocre mid game.

most common usage for me is misstepping swords to plowshare and a turn 1 acceleration

but in the end it depends on the match up

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I've found MM to be nuts against aggro-control, but mediocre against control and aggro. (I hope that makes sense in a Legacy weird kind of way).

The best uses I've found are to counter removal on our dudes, slowing down acceleration, countering Brainstorm and Vial from aggro lists. I view it as a 1/2 turn tempo card.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Best thing in MM:

1. Countering First drops (Hierarch/GSZ mostly)
    2. Countering Removal
    3. Countering important cards in Combo (Grindstone, High Tide, Duress/Thoughtseize, Dark Ritual)
    4. Countering opponents MM

Those 3 things.

I've been digging misstep. Honestly, I think it's too good to not play, even though it's 3 less threats you have. Plus, when you have a top/sylvan library, and 3 horizon canopies, you have enough card selection to make the hurt less when it's a dead card.

It's also nuts against Dredge, which is all over the place on modo
    TIME POLICE

Quote Originally Posted by honestabe View Post
    How does everyone feel about mindbreak trap in the board? Is cannonist better?
    Speaking as a combo player, you could go a few ways...

In a deck like this Canonist is going to be expected; in your build this can be very nasty if it buys you enough time to land a Sylvan Safekeeper as well - same thing with Teeg already though. Canonist also interferes with your regular game plan the least.

Mindbreak Trap has the disadvantage of being easily dicked by Chant/Discard which will still likely be in the combo deck postboard (although probably in smaller numbers). The advantage to Mindbreak Trap is that the majority of combo players play as if the opponent does not run it until you actually see it cast. The good ones will still play around it if they have the opportunity to do so.

Another option is Orim's Chant; it doesn't see much play but when cast at the right time is a very nasty surprise.

I think I'd personally go with Canonist just because it doesn't interfere with the deck's plan all that much, and it takes advantage of Safekeeper. 2 Canonist in board seems more reasonable than 2 Trap or Chant as well, and as you shouldn't be expecting to win postboard either, 2 Canonist seems like the best option for taking the least sideboard space while still giving you a better chance to win if the opponent stumbles.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Canonist also helps marginally against Burn/RDW decks, by taking out alot of their speed advantage. This gives you time to enable equipment, attack for a lot, and generally buys time. That's the important part.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Oct 2010
    Germany

Hey I'm considering building this deck. I like the combat tricks with nearly every creature alot.
    I'm curious what are bad matchups for maverick? Because at my local tournament i usually know people like to play.

Dec 2010
    SO Cal

Naturally the weakest match up for this deck like any other non Force of Will deck is Combo that's why you dedicate some sideboard cards for it.
    Last edited by SuperProxy; 06-19-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: capitalization

Finished 5th in a ~50 person tourney yesterday. I'd be interested to know what you guys think about the deck.

Deck
    4 Noble Hierarch
    3 Mother of Runes
    3 Aven Mindcensor
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Terravore
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Progenitus

4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Natural Order
    2 Sylvan Library

1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

4 Savannah
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Misty Rainforest
    2 Horizon Canopy
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Karakas
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    2 Plains

Sideboard:
    3 Krosan Grip
    2 Null Rod
    2 Summoning Trap
    1 Choke
    1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Path to Exile
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Sword of War and Peace
    1 Terastodon

(Sideboard was a bit scattered, would have included more Chokes if I had them)

Tourney Report:

Match 1: Bant Natural Order

G1: 1st turn GSZ is spell pierced, I manage to get out a Hierarch and a Knight, but the Knight is STP’ed and during my next draw step my own STP is tucked. He basically outpaces me this game and kills me with his Vendillion Clique and Dryad Arbors

Sideboard: -4 Natural Order -1 Progenitus -1 Scryb Ranger +2 Summoning Trap +1 Choke +1 Gaddock Teeg +2 Path to Exile

G2: 1st Turn my Hierarch is misstep’ed and my summoning trap is daze’d. I resolve a 2nd turn Aven Mindcensor, but when I attempt to play a 2nd the next turn it is forced, and the 1st one is STP’ed the next turn. By this time he’s run out of steam and I’m able to get out a Knight and a Pridemage and take the game.

G3: I again play a 2nd turn Aven Mindcensor, but it’s STP'ed EOT. The early game involves a lot of countering and exiling of creatures but eventually I end up with a Knight and Thrun on the board. He plays a Rhox War Monk with exalted 2 but I tutor a maze to keep him from dealing any damage. I STP his War Monk and he’s able to hold me off for a few turns by chump blocking but then I Natural Order and it’s over.

1-0-0 (2-1-0)

Match 2: UR Sneaky Show

G1: Opponent mulls to 5. I land a 1st turn Hierarch and 2nd turn Pridemage. He show and tells and drops Progenitus. I drop Sword of Fire and Ice. Swing for 6+2 and play Jitte. He knocks me down to 7. I fetch a land (oops), equip Jitte, and swing for another 8, then STP my own pridemage. I win the numbers game and next turn he’s dead.

Sideboard: -3 Swords to Plowshares +2 Summoning Trap +1 Choke

G2: Opponent gets out a blood moon turn 2 but luckily I have a basic plains and I’m able to put some beats on him with a Mother of Runes and Aven Mindcensor. I drop a Batterskull and he scoops a couple turns later.

2-0-0 (4-1-0)

Match 3: Zoo

G1: Turn 3 Natural Order = GG

Sideboard: -1 Sword of Fire and Ice -1 Scryb Ranger -1 Green Sun Zenith +1 Sword of War and Peace +2 Path to Exile

G2: He gets out some early Wild Nacatls but I’m able to stall the ground with Mother of Runes until I resolve a Nautral Order.

3-0-0 (6-1-0)

Match 4: BUG Landstill

G1: I mull to 5 and keep a pretty mediocre hand with my only lands being maze of ith and wasteland. I draw into 0 lands and he draw-go’s me to death with Jace.

Sideboard: -4 Natural Order -1 Progenitus +2 Summoning Trap +1 Choke +1 Gaddock Teeg +1 Thrun, the Last Troll

G2: Mother of Runes is misstepped and Summoning Trap is forced. 2nd turn Sylvan library resolves, and I stick a Knight and a Pridemage that aren’t answered.

G3: I cast Hierarch, he drops a Mishra’s factor and standstill. We take turns smashing each other and destroying each other’s lands and I eventually have to blow the standstill. I play a Mother of Runes and pass the turn. He drops Pernicious Deed. I play Choke and it resolves. He blows the deed and I play a Knight that brings him to 0 a few turns later.

4-0-0 (8-2-0)

Match 5: RUG Natural Order

G1: My turn 1 GSZ is countered, but my 2nd turn Stoneforge Mystic resolves and I grab a Batterskull. He bolts my Stoneforge Mystic and I follow up with an Aven Mindcensor. He casts a Vendillion Clique during my next draw step targeting himself and I drop a Mother of Runes. He plays a Grim Lavamancer. I play a Jitte (tech), equip Aven Mindcensor, and fling him through with the help of Mother of Runes, in turn killing the Grim Lavamancer and Vendillion Clique. He can’t recover.

Sideboard: -4 Natural Order -1 Progenitus -1 Scryb Ranger +2 Summoning Trap +1 Choke +1 Gaddock Teeg +2 Path to Exile

G2: 1st turn he missteps my Mother of Runes and dazes my summoning trap. I GSZ for a Hierarch, my knight gets countered next turn, and I summoning trap again into a Stoneforge Mystic which grabs a Sword of Fire and Ice. He scoops a couple turns later.

5-0-0 (10-2-0)

Match 6: Mono-U Fish

Draw

5-0-1 (10-2-1)

Top 8: UW Stoneforge Mystic Control

G1: I keep a mana heavy land because I know he will be running answers to my mana ramp and do not want to be mana screwed. I draw into only more land and my GSZ is countered leaving me with only equipment and no creatures to equip. He ends up landing both a Jace and a Crucible of Worlds and I scoop.

Sideboard: -4 Natural Order -1 Progenitus -1 Scryb Ranger -1 Terravore -1 Mother of Runes +2 Summoning Trap +1 Choke +1 Gaddock Teeg +3 Krosan Grip +1 Thrun, the Last Troll

G2: I mull to 6. I drop a land and say go. He first turn suspends an Ancestral Visions. I drop a 2nd turn Stoneforge Mystic which resolves and I search for a batterskull. He drops a meddling mage naming GSZ. I draw and pass the turn. He plays his own Stoneforge Mystic searching for a Manriki-Gusari. I play a land and pass the turn, holding a Krosan Grip. He plays the Gusari, equips and swings. I Krosan Grip it. I draw and say go. He plays another Stoneforge Mystic, grabbing Batterskull and passes the turn. EOT I drop my Batterskull. I draw and swing. He drops his Batterskull and declares blockers. I attempt to STP his Batterskull token, but he has Mental Misstep. They trade and now I’m left with an unequipped Batterskull and a Stoneforge Mystic. The next turn he plays a Jace and I can't recover.

I noticed not many of the lists here run Natural Order but it's usually an auto win vs the aggro mirror and serves as a nice defense against other Natural Order decks. I'm likely bringing this deck to SCG: Baltimore but I haven't decided on a final decklist. If I cut the NO package I'll probably add +1 KOTR +1 Mother of Runes but I'm not sure what to run in the last 3 slots. The MM idea seems interesting.

Thread Information