Page 111 of 428 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161211 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

People who have playtested:

Is it really worth using 5 card slots and 1 SB slot to run the fauna shamen/Elesh Norn combo?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar of Shadow View Post

Is it really worth using 5 card slots and 1 SB slot to run the fauna shamen/Elesh Norn combo?
    IMO, no. It largely relies on Fauna Shaman (which already has to be protected by Mother of Runes); if you've got Mom out, you've already pulled ahead.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

imo it is more cute than good, but I'm still going to test it out this weekend before I make any decisions on it. I will let you know what I think about it, but I suspect it will be more of a clunky win-more type of interaction for the deck.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

From my testing:

Worth ? Depends on meta:

If you face a lot of mirrors - yes its worth.

Elesh is actually one of the only outs vs opponents active MoR. Jitte mostly doesn't do the job since opponent always find a pridemage/Scryb/Aven etc..

I also should also mention about Elesh vs Lingering Souls, also don't forgot that those are 3 more tutors (running mostly 3 Fauna Shamans) in deck. Drawing in late hierarch/bop or even single bullet vs other MU isn't great, compare it to SDT for 2 with Legs. Filitring best thread.

Jul 2011
    Moore, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Fade View Post
    Burn - unfavorable
    UW - very favorable
    RUG - very favorable
    Any NO - slightly unfavorable
    Combo - unfavorable, but still winnable
    Pox - Even
    Junk - favorable
    Goblins - Evenish
    Aggro Loam - unfavorable
    Affinity - slightly favorable

These are just my opinions, but I don't go into a certain mindset when a match is unfavorable or even unfavorable. Maverick has a lot of game and the deck rewards tight play more than any I ever played before. I also feel that Maverick can win against any matchup and it's mostly about the little decisions you make in a match that determines the outcome. There have been a number of times I lost a match due to misplays I made where I could have have won it if I played a bit tighter. This allows me to recognize my play mistakes and learn from them and help me with decisions the next time I come across a similar situation. The only combo matchups I am very afraid of are Belcher (too fast) and High tide (can wait forever and can win through most of our hatebears). I'm never too worried against storm as my record against the deck is 50-50 with most of my losses going to a game 3 where I could've won if I played better. Burn is still a bit of a problem and depends a lot on whether you have a Stoneforge or Jitte in hand.
    Your list is precisely why I run the Enlightened Tutor package in my sideboard. The only difficulty is determining how many Enlightened Tutors to run (currently I MD 2 and SB 1 though I will most likely put them all in the board and eliminate some stuff in there) but with E. Tutor you can now run
    1x COP: Red in your board (burn matchup just got REALLY good) when you can turn 1 tutor, turn 2 lock them out of the game
    1x Ghostly Prison is amazing against SnT that relies on swinging for the win (since their deck is heavy on non-basics and you can waste-lock them).
    2x Choke (normally you run 3, but with several E. tutors I can't justify more than 2)
    2x Stony Silence (this one's because I have a bunch of affinity players locally)
    2x Rule of Law (that should solve your storm problem) (and also slows combos elves down enough that you can get an active Jitte and crush face)
    2x Tormod's Crypt (Sometimes Ooze isn't enough for Dredge/Reanimator)
    1x Gaddock Teag (I've honestly been very underwhelmed by him when he was MD and while he's the only GSZ'able hatebear I dislike how he turns off further GSZ (and Elspeths)
    1x Bojuku Bog (Great against Goyfs/opposite KoTR and occasionally dredge/reanimator/Past in Flames storm)
    2x Crucible of Worlds (with E. tutors it lets me waste-lock people consistantly)..this will actually drop to 1 and free up a slot soon.
    1x Light of Day (we have a Gate player locally and that's a brutal matchup for Maverick)

Reading other people's comments I agree that the real power of Maverick..is it's ridiculous consistency (hence another reason to run E.tutor package). I'm also a fan of the Stax package in the sideboard in certain metagames (combo heavy metagames have a hell of a time dealing with Trinisphere/Thorn of Amethyst), while we can sit back and play lands/mana dorks.

-X

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    From my testing:

Worth ? Depends on meta:

If you face a lot of mirrors - yes its worth.

Elesh is actually one of the only outs vs opponents active MoR. Jitte mostly doesn't do the job since opponent always find a pridemage/Scryb/Aven etc..

I also should also mention about Elesh vs Lingering Souls, also don't forgot that those are 3 more tutors (running mostly 3 Fauna Shamans) in deck. Drawing in late hierarch/bop or even single bullet vs other MU isn't great, compare it to SDT for 2 with Legs. Filitring best thread.
    People legitimately need to test Parallax Wave. I know everyone loves their new cards and mythic rares, but Wave does all this and more if that's all you're running Fauna Shaman for.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    People legitimately need to test Parallax Wave. I know everyone loves their new cards and mythic rares, but Wave does all this and more if that's all you're running Fauna Shaman for.
    Might even be better than Linvala against the mirror (but not against Elves, pesky pointy eared tree huggers)
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

I'm sort of wondering this myself... It certainly trumps the mirror. It beats Elves.

Against Dredge, High Tide, TES, and ANT (assuming you have an Iona boarded) it can be used in conjunction with other SB cards to close out the game completely (after you've stalled them with hatebears). It's questionable whether or not it's needed though, it certainly has the potential to be clunky.

It has the right idea in that it tries to help poor MUs, so I don't think it can be written off as just cute. The only bad MU it really hurts against is Burn since you lose the SFM package and if they let you untap with Fauna Shaman, they deserve Iona. That said, the best thing to take from Adam Cai's list might just be the Blue splash for Spell Pierce.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Might even be better than Linvala against the mirror (but not against Elves, pesky pointy eared tree huggers)
    what do you think of these versions of maverick who currently do not use stoneforge, blades and 3x thalia? you think this is a passing or remain? I think that just using jittes limit too much the deck.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Dzra View Post
    It has the right idea in that it tries to help poor MUs, so I don't think it can be written off as just cute. The only bad MU it really hurts against is Burn since you lose the SFM package and if they let you untap with Fauna Shaman, they deserve Iona. That said, the best thing to take from Adam Cai's list might just be the Blue splash for Spell Pierce.
    I think I mentioned this earlier, but it stands to be repeated. Getting Elesh Norn out with the Fauna Shaman/Loyal Retainers combo doesn't really excite me as much as getting Iona out. She's the real strength of this combo. Unfortunately, the speed at which she can be reanimated with the Fauna Shaman shell is a too slow to impact the matchups that she is good against.

Quote Originally Posted by maktus View Post
    what do you think of these versions of maverick who currently do not use stoneforge, blades and 3x thalia? you think this is a passing or remain? I think that just using jittes limit too much the deck.
    Thalia is great... except for the mirror. She's woefully underpowered when the best thing she's got doing for her is First Strike. Her inclusion is definitely justified due to the combo matchups, and that's about the only matchup where I could see desiring her in the deck. In each other fair matchup she's just another bear that isn't Knight of the Reliquary.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

I think I mentioned this earlier, but it stands to be repeated. Getting Elesh Norn out with the Fauna Shaman/Loyal Retainers combo doesn't really excite me as much as getting Iona out. She's the real strength of this combo. Unfortunately, the speed at which she can be reanimated with the Fauna Shaman shell is a too slow to impact the matchups that she is good against.

Thalia is great... except for the mirror. She's woefully underpowered when the best thing she's got doing for her is First Strike. Her inclusion is definitely justified due to the combo matchups, and that's about the only matchup where I could see desiring her in the deck. In each other fair matchup she's just another bear that isn't Knight of the Reliquary.
    Rukcus...what do you do against a mirror match? you dont use parallax wave or the fauna shamen combo.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Rukcus...what do you do against a mirror match? you dont use parallax wave or the fauna shamen combo.
    Best sideboard tech ever:
    Mulligans.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Best sideboard tech ever:
    Mulligans.
    /like

And honestly, as cool as Parallax Wave is... Why isn't Linvala just shutting everything down for the rest of the game (unless they Swords her) just better? "They can remove her" doesn't work because they can just as easily Pridemage the Wave, not to mention it'll be gone in 2-3 turns regardless.

In the games of yesterday who solved Mother before won the game. One of these games the guy used StP against a noble and the opponent dropped a mother and therefore he won.

Avian is also a good card against mirror but I'm trying to put Mirran Crusader on my list. I think he + blade can be devastating.

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Mirror matches are very grindy. The most important creature they can play is Mother of Runes because that allows for any Knight to take over the game. Swords/Path them as soon as you get the chance. Sometimes you have to make situations where they have to tap their Mother and that's when you can catch them off guard. After them go for their Knights.

Bog and Maze of Ith come in to both prevent damage from an opposing Knight and to shrink them. Elspeth really helps break stalemates and the three pridemages are great for the opposing equipment. Scavenging Ooze is an all star at shrinking Knights, gaining you some life, and eventually growing into a big threat. Sometimes an exalted Scryb Ranger + Mother can get there but I would not rely on it. Also, watch out for the Dryad Arbor and Scryb Ranger interactions. SoLaS shines in the mirror as they can't get rid of your guy.

Knowing your deck is your biggest advantage though. It's a very skill intensive match unless you have to mull into oblivion. I hope this helps!

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

+1 to being a grindfest. Mirrors can easily take 90 minutes if you're untimed.

The point to take away is to kill Mom before she gets active, or like Fade stated, create a situation where she must be used. Like I've mentioned in the past, your life total doesn't matter unless it's lethal, so take the lumps and maintain good board presence.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

For who is talking about bans: In case something is banned, it's obviously GSZ. I would ban it even if it's not bc of maverick. The deck gets 8 reliquary, can tutor up hate, quasalis, etc.I would run it in any green deck.

Mirror match: Some people plays gideon jura, which I think it's awesome, even more than linvala. It cannot be really killed, and it trumps mother of runes, nobles, etc.

I am thinking about the SFM pack. Right now I like to have it. The deck does not need to go fast, and having 3 SFM +3 equipments makes higher the number of bombs in the deck. When you have a jitte it's obviously better if the opponent does not knows that you have it...but I like having 6 bombs instead of 2-3.

Parallax wave: Too cute IMO. Remember that with a qasali you can kill all their creatures and they will never come back.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
    Mirror match: Some people plays gideon jura, which I think it's awesome, even more than linvala. It cannot be really killed, and it trumps mother of runes, nobles, etc.

Parallax wave: Too cute IMO.
    I literally face-palmed reading this.

Parallax wave: Too cute IMO. Remember that with a qasali you can kill all their creatures and they will never come back.
    Also what does this even mean? "Too cute, remember that there's a lot of powerful tricks it can pull off."
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Me? Aggro Player.
    Nov 2010
    Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I literally face-palmed reading this.
    lol
    Burn

Pox

Affinity

Aggro Elves

BW Control

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Gideon isn't that bad. I have seen a few Japanese top 8 lists use him as a 1 of. Also while we are on oddities of Maverick listings, Gavony Township, Garruk and Mortapod are interesting inclusions. Link if anyone wants to take a look: http://amclegacy.sakura.ne.jp/index_e.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Thread Information