Page 123 of 428 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133173223 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,460 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I think you could get away with a 3/3 split of Wasteland and Cavern of Souls. It being a non-basic is a non-argument since you shouldn't be swapping basic land for utility land anyway. You shouldn't forget that cavern actually FIXES your mana. If you can run Wasteland, I don't see why you can't run a land that makes mana of any color.
    It fixes your mana some of the time. The deck runs about 16 Humans and 22 lands. That leaves a good chunk of your cards that this land would be colorless for. As for the nonbasic land count, I'm referring to any deck with price of progress. In those matches you done have to worry about playing your wasteland as they can destroy themselves or get rid of another nonbasic. This is mostly a defense not to cut wastelands for this new land but perhaps a different nonbasic.

Jul 2011
    Moore, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Fade View Post
    It fixes your mana some of the time. The deck runs about 16 Humans and 22 lands. That leaves a good chunk of your cards that this land would be colorless for. As for the nonbasic land count, I'm referring to any deck with price of progress. In those matches you done have to worry about playing your wasteland as they can destroy themselves or get rid of another nonbasic. This is mostly a defense not to cut wastelands for this new land but perhaps a different nonbasic.
    We also need to factor in the probability of getting it when you actually want it...if you put 1 in your deck..you won't likely get it in your opening 7 +2 (when you might actually want it) very often, and the first couple turns are when you'd benefit from it most. After turn 4 or so..I see it being a lot less useful. I do think it's hilarious that SCG's is preselling this land at 25 bucks now...I also agree that there are going to be numerous times when you have this land in hand...and can't cast something because it only provides colored mana..sometimes.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    Ulvenwald Tracker G
    Creature - Human Shaman
    1{G}, {T}: Target creature you control fights another target creature.
    1/1

This seems like a good GSZ target. Very cheap and as soon as you untap you can start gunning down their team with KotR, Ooze and Mother of Runes. Should be especially effective vs. Delvers, Confidant and Mother of Runes, but also good in general vs. creatures.
    I love this card. I think this has more potential in Maverick than any card spoiled so far.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

On using Cavern of Souls in Maverick: Making Humans uncounterable seems good, but you need to play fewer forests/fetches to do so. Cavern can't be sacked to Knight, bounced with Scryb Ranger, or used to activate Ooze. You can't cast GSZ for 0 T1 with it. You can't cast StP with it. These are all relatively minor by themselves, but considering Maverick already runs as many non-basics as it can Caverns will become cumbersome. So, it has definite downsides.

Is anyone out there goldfishing or playtesting a Cavern build?

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    Ulvenwald Tracker G
    Creature - Human Shaman
    1/1

This seems like a good GSZ target. Very cheap and as soon as you untap you can start gunning down their team with KotR, Ooze and Mother of Runes. Should be especially effective vs. Delvers, Confidant and Mother of Runes, but also good in general vs. creatures.
    Once you have Mom + KotR aren't you usually just attacking anyway? Plus you already have access to better spot removal in Swords to Plowshares. Clearly Tracker will be awesome as a way to break the late game wide open if you're in a stalemate situation (which Maverick often is), but Maverick also has Equipment that allows it to do the same thing. The fact that Tracker is Green is clearly huge as it makes him a GSZ target. So he'll replace a piece of Equipment?

Apr 2012
    Amazon Jungle, Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    On using Cavern of Souls in Maverick: Making Humans uncounterable seems good, but you need to play fewer forests/fetches to do so. Cavern can't be sacked to Knight, bounced with Scryb Ranger, or used to activate Ooze. You can't cast GSZ for 0 T1 with it. You can't cast StP with it. These are all relatively minor by themselves, but considering Maverick already runs as many non-basics as it can Caverns will become cumbersome. So, it has definite downsides
    These are all these downsides. And there is the only upside of using the Cavern, which is making the creatures uncounterable, which has never been a big deal (exception: blue-based combo countering a hatebear the turn before going off). IMHO, the benefit is very, very small. Horizon Canopy also has some downsides, but at least its upside (cycling+eventually pumping knights) is better.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    Tao
    Ulvenwald Tracker G
    Creature - Human Shaman
    1/1

This one has potential, although Jitte already does that much better... maybe test a 1-of to complement the equip and dodge artifact removal, don't know... I'm not that excited.

Srsly, I don't want to hate the new cards (and I'm not saying they're bad), but I don't think they improve the deck (or any specific matchup) that much.

Why not just run Arena if you want to have a creature fight another creature?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

Quote Originally Posted by CorpT View Post
    Why not just run Arena if you want to have a creature fight another creature?
    Arena is an awful card that requires you to tap four mana, can't make mana itself, and has narrow applications?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

<new fight dork> is an awful card that requires you to tap <some> mana, can't make mana itself, is vulnerable to removal and summoning sickness, and has narrow applications?
    ftfy
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    ftfy
    Which was basically my point and I think yours. IMO, neither is needed or good enough to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

SteelinSumOfUrTechKThxBai
    Jan 2008

Just to point that out: Mom + this Guy does only work against non-green creatures, since griving him pro:green disables the activated ability (illegal target etc...).
    Since most of the guys you'd want to use this on are probably green, and the other ones are most likely small, Mom doesn't seem particularly combolicious with this guy.
    "Blue-Eyes White Dragon is a fatty that Jamie Wakefield seems to have overlooked. It has a tremendous power and toughness of 3000/2500, making it bigger than current threats such as Tarmogoyf or Mountain."

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

You guys never wished that Grim Lavamancer were green so you could GSZ for creature removal? This is certainly slower and can't do damage to the face, but it's otherwise a reasonable approximation for most board states. I'm certainly going to try this out as a one-of.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    You guys never wished that Grim Lavamancer were green so you could GSZ for creature removal? This is certainly slower and can't do damage to the face, but it's otherwise a reasonable approximation for most board states. I'm certainly going to try this out as a one-of.
    Alot of times I actually want to Zenith for Viridian Shaman, but almost never an ability like "G,T: Fight".
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Ended up getting 12th at SCG Phoenix with Maverick. Was trying to run the back to back top 8's on the weekend, but lost to Sherwin (rug delver) and the maverick mirror (went to game 3, but the 2 games i lost were the most lopsided games of the mirror i have ever played)

Round 1 Dredge 2-0
    Round 2 UR delver 2-0
    Round 3 Rug delver 0-2
    Round 4 Gw Mav 1-2
    Round 5 Esper stoneblade 2-0
    Round 6 Gw Mav 2-0
    Round 7 Rug delver 2-0 Feature Match
    Round 8 Esper 2-0

The deck was sweet. Dont think i would change a thing in the main deck. Terravore was a house (nice lingering souls tokens) and scavenging ooze was insane in every matchup. I would probably cut a linvala out of the side, kinda wanted a fauna shaman over it, or another card for the control decks. I didnt miss stoneforge at all. Most of my matchups were aggressive decks, and stoneforge would have been to slow. And i got a few people out of nowhere with jitte, since they dont see it coming.

On the topic of the new land, that makes guys uncounterable, I dont think that card is needed at all. This deck is very consistent and threat dense. For the land to be good, you would have to run 3 or 4 of them, and it makes the manabase weak to wasteland. The only counterspells that are played atm are, Force (2 for 1 trades are fine with me) Daze (to easy to play around) Spell snare ( easy to play around as well) Alot of times they cant keep up spell snare, since we have green sun, and 3 drops, and when they tap out, you just jam 2 2 drops.

Koby, what were your other losses besides the mirror? And if you posted it somewhere else, i apologize.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Alot of times I actually want to Zenith for Viridian Shaman, but almost never an ability like "G,T: Fight".
    I've contemplated a Harmonic Sliver in the sideboard at times (or even maindeck). Especially since people are playing more Cursed Totem.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    I've contemplated a Harmonic Sliver in the sideboard at times (or even maindeck). Especially since people are playing more Cursed Totem.
    I agree here. I've seen my own share of Cursed Totem lately and I want that type of effect if possible. I also don't think a pseudo-Pridemage is a bad thing with all the Equipment flying around anyways.
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Eatatjoes View Post

Koby, what were your other losses besides the mirror? And if you posted it somewhere else, i apologize.
    Here's a recount of my event:

Round 1 - Maverick (2-0) *Karakas does not infact, bounce Jitte
    Round 2 - RUG Tempo (1-2) *Delver flip reveal Forked Bolt, delver flip reveal FoW, nice StP - bro!
    Round 3 - B/R Removals (2-1) *Moons + Obliterators + Liliana
    Round 4 - Esperblade (2-0) *crush
    Round 5 - Dream Halls (1-2) *G1 = Dream Halls, G2 = 3 hate bears, G3 = Show & Tell into Dream Halls, I throw down Canonist, next turn Hardcast Progenitus via Ponder. *sigh*
    Round 6 - Maverick (0-2) * 70 card mirror with same SB tech
    DROP
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Here's a recount of my event:

Round 1 - Maverick (2-0) *Karakas does not infact, bounce Jitte
    Round 2 - RUG Tempo (1-2) *Delver flip reveal Forked Bolt, delver flip reveal FoW, nice StP - bro!
    Round 3 - B/R Removals (2-1) *Moons + Obliterators + Liliana
    Round 4 - Esperblade (2-0) *crush
    Round 5 - Dream Halls (1-2) *G1 = Dream Halls, G2 = 3 hate bears, G3 = Show & Tell into Dream Halls, I throw down Canonist, next turn Hardcast Progenitus via Ponder. *sigh*
    Round 6 - Maverick (0-2) * 70 card mirror with same SB tech
    DROP
    Tough beats man. There's always this weekend at mtgdeals.

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

This is probably a bad suggestion but what do people think about Flickering Ward as an added way to protect Knights. The only reason I mention it is that you can make your Knight removal-proof and you can always bounce the ward back to your hand if they wrath your field.

It may also have some small applicable situations where you want to give one of their creatures protection from a specific color. Like in cephalid breakfast Giving an Illusionist protection from white seems okay.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Fade View Post
    This is probably a bad suggestion but what do people think about Flickering Ward as an added way to protect Knights. The only reason I mention it is that you can make your Knight removal-proof and you can always bounce the ward back to your hand if they wrath your field.

It may also have some small applicable situations where you want to give one of their creatures protection from a specific color. Like in cephalid breakfast Giving an Illusionist protection from white seems okay.
    I'd prefer to just play Lightning Greaves in place - at least I get KotR activations right away. Makes a resolved Mom that much more potent too.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Thread Information