Page 124 of 428 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174224 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,480 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

I'm thinking of trying out Daybreak Ranger in Punishing Mav. Unflipped it kills Delver (the biggest problem card in RUG) and can gradually pick off Lingering Souls tokens, and flipped it does the work of Ulvenwald Tracker plus KotR in one neat little package. It shouldn't be too hard to flip him in the mirror, since the only instants either kill it anyway or are Aven Mindcensor. Has anyone else tested him?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I haven't personally tested him yet; but I'm aware it exists. I'm unsure if it can even survive long enough to matter however.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I haven't personally tested him yet; but I'm aware it exists. I'm unsure if it can even survive long enough to matter however.
    i was watching your games in scglive and I saw you using stoneforge + thalia, do you liked this combination? what equipments you used?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by maktus View Post
    i was watching your games in scglive and I saw you using stoneforge + thalia, do you liked this combination? what equipments you used?
    Here's the list I ran:

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Terravore
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Dryad Arbor

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Light & Shadow
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Sylvan Library

4 Windswept Heath
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Savannah
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Wasteland
    2 Horizon Canopy
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Gaea's Cradle

Sideboard
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Gut Shot
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Maze of Ith
    2 Choke
    1 Oblivion Ring

Spell Pierce wasn't used enough during the day, since I didn't run against Burn. I'm thinking I'll cut it for more dedicated combo hate +1 Canonist and possibly 2 Leyline of Sanctity. This would allow me to cut the Tropical and go back down to 21 land + Dryad Arbor as I've been playing forever now. The extra slot in the maindeck will probably switch to Aven Mindcensor(s). Elspeth still doesn't get along well with Thalia, and the extra flying creatures are better to fight Delvers. Mindcensor also has some good uses vs combo & the mirror, so it's much better than Elspeth right now.

Stoneforge Mystic was added back in after I was disappointed by needing to draw Jitte the hard ways. Playing with two is fine, gives me the right tool at the right time, and allows me to play SoLS too, which is still good.

Keep in mind this is tailored to my metagame, and not every metagame is the same. There's about 5-8 flex slots in the deck - use them appropriately.
    Last edited by Di; 04-29-2012 at 01:22 PM.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

May 2007
    Canada, eh?

List
    You're missing a card (there are only 59 cards listed). Teeg is absent from your list...

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar of Light View Post
    You're missing a card (there are only 59 cards listed). Teeg is absent from your list...
    That he is.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

List.
    Just wondering: why do you play maze of ith in the side? He seems so awesome maindeck.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Hencules View Post
    Just wondering: why do you play maze of ith in the side? He seems so awesome maindeck.
    Keep in mind this is tailored to my metagame, and not every metagame is the same. There's about 5-8 flex slots in the deck - use them appropriately.
    Notice I'm from Los Angeles? Combo-central over here.
    Case in point:
    Sample metagame #1
    Sample metagame #2
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Notice I'm from Los Angeles? Combo-central over here.
    Case in point:
    Sample metagame #1
    Sample metagame #2
    Thanks, it makes sense;). I'm in a way more aggro minded meta, and actually have to deal with nic fit. They rip me up, but wastes+ooze+maze help a lot.

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Hencules View Post
    Thanks, it makes sense;). I'm in a way more aggro minded meta, and actually have to deal with nic fit. They rip me up, but wastes+ooze+maze help a lot.
    I have a player who plays Nic Fit in my area but it hasn't really been too much of a problem. He plays straight GB. What threats besides deed are the Nic Fit decks playing in your meta?

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Deed, Dread of Night, Virtue's Ruin, Massacre, etc.

-Matt

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Deed, Dread of Night, Virtue's Ruin, Massacre, etc.

-Matt
    Thanks. It looks like his list is out dated then. I'm pretty sure he only has perish afterboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Fade View Post
    I have a player who plays Nic Fit in my area but it hasn't really been too much of a problem. He plays straight GB. What threats besides deed are the Nic Fit decks playing in your meta?
    What's your strategy? Do you use stp against explorers or hold for the big guys? do you have something in sb that makes the difference?

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

What's your strategy? Do you use stp against explorers or hold for the big guys? do you have something in sb that makes the difference?
    Fetch all your non-basics first. They don't play wasteland and if they get Explorer off then you still have some basics to grab. Save swords for the bigger problems instead of the explorer unless you can tell they are stuck on mana. Mother of Runes is amazing like always and they literally can not deal with an Elspeth making soldier tokens. Don't over commit to the board. If you already have a Knight on the field then don't play another unless you are falling behind. That way if they deed you can gain a board presence again.

Sep 2009
    Michigan, US

Don't forget that if you plan to let an explorer die--which you can't really stop from happening--you can safely sideboard out a few lands, thus greatly increasing your threat density. I'd also save my StPs for Titans. Don't over-extend into a Pernicious Deed.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
    Don't forget that if you plan to let an explorer die--which you can't really stop from happening--you can safely sideboard out a few lands, thus greatly increasing your threat density. I'd also save my StPs for Titans. Don't over-extend into a Pernicious Deed.
    I could agree with 1-2 Wastelands. Nothing else can really come out with hurting the color-base consistency to develop normally.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Last sunday I played at a team tournament (3 vs. 3, randomly assigned).
    I ran the following list:

1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Scryb Ranger
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Terravore /27

4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Body and Mind
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow /13

4 Savannah
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Wooded Foothills
    2 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    4 Wasteland /20

Side:
    2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    2 Path to Exile
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Kitchen Finks
    2 Entlightened Tutor
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Circle of Protection: Red
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    2 Engineered Explosives /15

Round 1 vs. Bu Recurring Zombies combo thing.
    Game 1 he opened with Carrion Feeder. I read it, and thought 'wtf?'.
    I proceeded to kill him with Knights carrying swords and stuff.
    I hadn't seen his combo, or anything dangerous, really, so I just sided in two Paths.
    Game 2 he also didn't do much (I wasted his blue source and that was it) so he died again quickly. Afterwards he showed what his deck could do. Very cute, but I would never play it in a tournament. My teammates also won, so off to a good start.

Round 2 vs. ANT.
    Game 1 he wins the toss, cantrips some and kills me before I can find Thalia.
    Game 2 I mull to a six with two hatebears. One gets killed, the other gets me there.
    Game 3 I again mull to a six with two hatebears. He thoughtseizes Thalia away. GSZ into Teeg lands. In turn 3 after time was called he goes Path Teeg, DRit, Infernal-show DRit, DRit, Infernal-show DRit, DRit, CRit, Petal, Grim Tutor for Tendrils for 20 where I had exactly 20 life and lethal on the table. Nice play sir. Team lost, because Tom failed to beat Doomsday with RUG Tempo. Shit happens.

Round 3 vs. Maverick (Mirror!)
    Game 1 he starts and mulls to 6. We kill eachothers accellerant guy, we both get an equipment (he a SoLaS, I a Jitte - wanted to kill Mothers!). We proceed to destroy eachothers equipment with Pridemages and stuff, but I got quite some value out of Scryb Ranger, so I had more gass and won the first game.
    Game 2 he mulled to six again, and put me under quite some pressure. I defend like a tiger and the board position is equal when we run out of time.
    Turned out he sided in Dueling grounds. Really?? I almost never attack with morethan one guy in the mirror. How about you guys?
    Team also won, so team at 2-1 and still in the race for top-4.

Round 4 vs. Maverick (again that f'ing mirror)
    Game 1 AGAIN he starts (damned die rolls). He starts rather slowly, but it turns out he is slowrolling Mindcensor. He doesn't get to use it while messing up one of my plays, but it stops me from playing half my hand. It takes me quite some time to kill it, and when I do, he afterwards drops two Mothers that I really cannot kill. I go down without being able to do anything about it.
    Game 2 I play way too quickly, and make some errors, but even if I had played perfectly I would never win in time. He just stalls it out professionally.
    Team messes up as well, despite me saying repeatedly I cannot win anymore, so I could better help our combo player calculate (deliberation was allowed within teams).
    Still the team fucks up and we go 2-2 and are eliminated for top-4. We decide to not drop, and just play for fun.

Round 5 vs. Affinity.
    Game 1 I keep a slow hand that should look good versus Stoneblade and such, but he just drops his entire ahdn turn 1 and I never recover.
    Game 2 I hate myself for not including either Serenity or Null Rod, and I get killed quickly again. Chanceless matchup if they have a quick hand AND we fail to include proper hate. But seriously, who plays Affinity still?

Record: 2-3. Awful day. Mindcensor just wins the mirror. Not having it while he did have it was a BIG issue. Thalia never hit the table, so no idea how good he is compared to the Mindcensor. Mirror tech Engineered Explosives was awkward. Gut Shot is better. Despite having 167 hate bears ANT is still rather chanceless if they play correctly.

I could agree with 1-2 Wastelands. Nothing else can really come out with hurting the color-base consistency to develop normally.
    did you played against Chris Higashi in Phoenix?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

did you played against Chris Higashi in Phoenix?
    I did not.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

I decided to post my sideboard plans for the new list I have been running. This is to help people who are new to Maverick get a feel on how to sideboard, as in my community there has been four new players playing the deck and I wanted to give them some advice. My main deck has not changed since the last time I posted but the sideboard has changed a bit. Feel free to comment if you don't agree with some of the plans or if you board a completely different way.

Sideboard (15):
    3 Choke
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Path to Exile
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Tormod’s Crypt
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Elesh Norn, the Grand Cenobite
    1 Viridian Shaman

SIDEBOARD PLANS:

Maverick (5):
    Out: -2 Thalia, -1 Teeg, -1 Scryb Ranger, -1 Iona, -1 Wasteland
    In: +1 Norn, +1 Viridian Shaman, +1 Maze, +2 Path, +1 Bog

RUG Delver (9):
    Out: -2 Pridemage, -1 Teeg, -1 Elspeth, -1 Iona, -1 Loyal, -3 Fauna
    In: +2 Path, +1 Maze, +3 Choke, +2 Extraction, +1 Bog

UWx Stoneblade (7):
    Out: -2 Noble Hierarch, -1 Loyal, -1 Iona, -2 Swords, -1 Fauna
    In: +1 Oblivion Ring, +3 Choke, +2 Extraction, +1 Viridian Shaman

Storm (TES) (5):
    Out: -1 Elspeth, -2 Jitte, -1 Scryb Ranger, -1 Terravore
    In: +2 Canonist, +1 Bog, +2 Extraction

Storm (ANT) (8):
    Out: -1 Elspeth, -2 Jitte, -1 Terravore, -1 Scryb Ranger, -3 Mother of Runes
    In: +2 Canonist, +1 Bog, +2 Extraction, +3 Choke

High Tide (9-10):
    Out: -1 Elspeth, -2 Jitte, -4 Swords, -1 Terravore, -1 Mother (Candle Version Only)
    In: +2 Canonist, +1 Bog, +2 Extraction, +3 Choke, +1 Shaman (Candle Version Only)

Pox (4-6):
    Out: -4 Swords, -1 Mindcensor (Abyss Version Only), -1 Mother (Abyss Version Only)
    In: +2 Extraction, +1 Oblivion Ring, +1 Shaman, +2 Canonist (Abyss Version Only)

Nic Fit (6):
    Out: -1 Wasteland, -2 Pridemage, -2 Thalia, -1 Scryb Ranger
    In: +2 Extraction, +1 Oblivion Ring +2 Path, +1 Maze

Hive Mind (10):
    Out: -1 Elspeth, -1 Scryb Ranger, -4 Mother of Runes, -4 Swords
    In: +2 Canonist, +1 Oblivion Ring, +1 Viridian, +3 Choke, +2 Extraction, +1 Maze

Sneak and Show (8):
    Out: -4 Swords, -4 Mother of Runes
    In: +1 Oblivion Ring, +1 Viridian, +3 Choke, +1 Maze, +2 Extraction

Dredge (9):
    Out: -1 Elspeth, -1 Scryb Ranger, -1 Mindcensor, -2 Pridemage, -4 Mother of Runes
    In: +2 Extraction, +1 Crypt, +1 Bog, +2 Canonist, +1 Norn, +2 Path

Reanimator (7):
    Out: -1 Elspeth, -2 Pridemage, -2 Jitte, -2 Mother of Runes
    In: +2 Extraction, +1 Bog, +1 Crypt, +1 Oblivion Ring, +1 Maze, +1 Norn

Burn (5):
    Out: -1 Elspeth, -1 Mindcensor, -2 Pridemage, -1 Scryb Ranger
    In: +2 Canonist, +1 Maze, +2 Path

Goblins (6):
    Out: -1 Iona, -2 Thalia, -1 Mindcensor, -1 Scryb Ranger, -1 Elspeth
    In: +1 Norn, +2 Path, +1 Maze, +1 Oblivion Ring, +1 Viridian Shaman

Elves (5):
    Out: -1 Iona, -2 Thalia, -2 Pridemage