Page 125 of 428 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135175225 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Fade View Post
    Sideboard (15):
    3 Choke
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Path to Exile
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Tormod’s Crypt
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Elesh Norn, the Grand Cenobite
    1 Viridian Shaman
    1 Harmonic Sliver

SIDEBOARD PLANS:

Maverick (5):
    Out: -2 Thalia, -1 Teeg, -1 Scryb Ranger, -1 Iona, -1 Wasteland, -1 Mindcensor
    In: +1 Norn, +1 Viridian Shaman, +1 Maze, +2 Path, +1 Bog

RUG Delver (9):
    Out: -2 Pridemage, -1 Teeg, -1 Elspeth, -1 Iona, -1 Loyal, -3 Fauna
    In: +2 Path, +1 Maze, +3 Choke, +2 Extraction, +1 Bog

UWx Stoneblade (7):
    Out: -2 Noble Hierarch, -1 Loyal, -1 Iona, -3 Swords, -1 Fauna
    In: +1 Oblivion Ring, +3 Choke, +2 Extraction, +1 Viridian Shaman, +1 Bog (need to replace mana sources)

Storm (TES) (5):
    Out: -1 Elspeth, -2 Jitte, -1 Scryb Ranger, -1 Terravore
    In: +2 Canonist, +1 Bog, +2 Extraction

Storm (ANT) (8):
    Out: -1 Elspeth, -2 Jitte, -1 Terravore, -1 Scryb Ranger, -3 Mother of Runes
    In: +2 Canonist, +1 Bog, +2 Extraction, +3 Choke

High Tide (9-10):
    Out: -1 Elspeth, -2 Jitte, -4 Swords, -1 Terravore, -1 Mother (Candle Version Only)
    In: +2 Canonist, +1 Bog, +2 Extraction, +3 Choke, +1 Shaman (Candle Version Only)

Pox (4-6):
    Out: -4 Swords, -1 Mindcensor (Abyss Version Only), -1 Mother (Abyss Version Only)
    In: +2 Extraction, +1 Oblivion Ring, +1 Shaman, +2 Canonist (Abyss Version Only)

Nic Fit (6):
    Out: -1 Wasteland, -2 Pridemage, -2 Thalia, -1 Scryb Ranger
    In: +2 Extraction, +1 Oblivion Ring +2 Path, +1 Maze

Hive Mind (10):
    Out: -1 Elspeth, -1 Scryb Ranger, -4 Mother of Runes, -4 Swords
    In: +2 Canonist, +1 Oblivion Ring, +1 Viridian, +3 Choke, +2 Extraction, +1 Maze

Sneak and Show (8):
    Out: -4 Swords, -4 Mother of Runes
    In: +1 Oblivion Ring, +1 Viridian, +3 Choke, +1 Maze, +2 Extraction

Dredge (9):
    Out: -1 Elspeth, -1 Scryb Ranger, -1 Mindcensor, -2 Pridemage, -4 Mother of Runes
    In: +2 Extraction, +1 Crypt, +1 Bog, +2 Canonist, +1 Norn, +2 Path

Reanimator (7):
    Out: -1 Elspeth, -2 Pridemage, -2 Jitte, -2 Mother of Runes, -1 Teeg, -1 ???
    In: +2 Extraction, +1 Bog, +1 Crypt, +1 Oblivion Ring, +1 Maze, +1 Norn

Burn (5):
    Out: -1 Elspeth, -1 Mindcensor, -2 Pridemage, -1 Scryb Ranger, -1 Terravore, -1 Teeg
    In: +2 Canonist, +1 Maze, +2 Path

Goblins (6): - if black splash, avoid Green creatures to negate Perish
    Out: -1 Iona, -2 Thalia, -1 Mindcensor, -1 Scryb Ranger, -1 Elspeth -1 Teeg
    In: +1 Norn, +2 Path, +1 Maze, +1 Oblivion Ring, +1 Viridian Shaman, +2 Canonist

Elves (5):
    Out: -1 Iona, -2 Thalia, -2 Pridemage, -1 Teeg, -1 Terravore
    In: +1 Norn, +2 Path, +1 Maze, +1 Oblivion Ring, +2 Canonist
    I've striked/bolded my plan. Did you mean this list?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I've striked/bolded my plan. Did you mean this list?
    Yes that's the list and it's been performing very well for me right now. I tried one last time to completely cut Thalia in place for Stoneforge Mystic during my local legacy on Saturday but only having an Aven Mindcensor and Teeg against combo mainboard was hurting it too much.

Reanimator (7):
    Out: -1 Elspeth, -2 Jitte, -2 Mother of Runes, -1 Teeg, -1
    In: +2 Extraction, +1 Bog, +1 Crypt, +1 Oblivion Ring, +1 Maze, +1 Norn

Burn (5):
    Out: -1 Elspeth, -1 Mindcensor, -2 Pridemage, -1 Scryb Ranger, -1 Terravore, -1 Teeg
    In: +2 Canonist, +1 Maze, +2 Path

Goblins (6): - if black splash, avoid Green creatures to negate Perish
    Out: -1 Iona, -2 Thalia, -1 Mindcensor, -1 Scryb Ranger, -1 Elspeth -1 Teeg
    In: +1 Norn, +2 Path, +1 Maze, +1 Oblivion Ring, +1 Viridian Shaman, +2 Canonist

Elves (5):
    Out: -1 Iona, -2 Thalia, -2 Pridemage, -1 Teeg, -1 Terravore
    In: +1 Norn, +2 Path, +1 Maze, +1 Oblivion Ring, +2 Canonist
    Reanimator: I forgot about Animate Dead. Yes Pridemages should stay in.

Burn: Why would you keep in Pridemages here? Is it to destroy Sulfuric Vortex that they board in?

Goblins: Point taken the player in my local plays RG Goblins. I forgot about the RB version.

Evles: I knew I forgot something there

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Reanimator: I forgot about Animate Dead. Yes Pridemages should stay in.

Burn: Why would you keep in Pridemages here? Is it to destroy Sulfuric Vortex that they board in?

Goblins: Point taken the player in my local plays RG Goblins. I forgot about the RB version.

Evles: I knew I forgot something there
    Burn - yep, unless you play COP Red, then you need a way not to die to Vortex, and Pridemage is a faster clock than most of the other "dumb beaters". Exalted is surprisingly relevant here. Same with Reanimator - Animate Dead matters here too, even if they do board it out for Show & Tell.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

The Illusionist
    Apr 2012
    Netherlands

So i'm thinking about picking up Maverick, i'll probably try and splash blue for Brainstorms and some Spell Pierces sideboard (lots of combo and decks relying on non creature spells here) but i'm mostly worried about the impact of the new Terminus on the deck.
    What are your opinions on Terminus? Will it really hurt the deck, or is it easily played around?

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Viridia View Post
    So i'm thinking about picking up Maverick, i'll probably try and splash blue for Brainstorms and some Spell Pierces sideboard (lots of combo and decks relying on non creature spells here) but i'm mostly worried about the impact of the new Terminus on the deck.
    What are your opinions on Terminus? Will it really hurt the deck, or is it easily played around?
    It really depends on the consistency of the UW control decks that are running it. Running so many cards to help setup the time walk and terminus miracles are probably going to dilute their threat density and their deck might just become some durdle-fest that doesn't really do anything.

After the first few turns of the game you should know whether they are playing control or not. If they are then throw down a decent board position that puts a clock on them. They will either have to answer them and waste a Terminus/Wrath of God or they will die. It's much like playing around virtue's ruin, nature's ruin, perish, and massacre. I don't think the deck is just going to fold to Terminus, but it is yet to be determined.

Note: It might be worth playing a Gavony Township so after they terminus we can play a few 2/2 hatebears and pump them each turn after that so the deck can recover a bit quicker.

Resident Proctologist
    Oct 2008
    Muncie, Indiana

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Gaddock Teeg is still the most important card against control. Both pre and post sideboard. I strongly recommend 1 in the maindeck.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

The Illusionist
    Apr 2012
    Netherlands

Is playing pure GW most likely still better then splashing for brainstorms, sideboard options, or possibly more blue cards? (Just trying to figure out what i should be picking up exactly)

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Is playing pure GW most likely still better then splashing for brainstorms, sideboard options, or possibly more blue cards? (Just trying to figure out what i should be picking up exactly)
    It's certainly cheaper (less duals required to play), and objectively stronger in an unknown field. Splashing for a 3rd color needs to have good justification - for more removal; for specific creatures and/or countermagic and/or Jace and/or Brainstorm; etc. I don't think the splash is worth it in this shell, Junk is a better fit for cards black has to offer.

Maverick is hard enough to learn optimally. I would suggest to begin with it and see if that's what you want to play.

On a side note, I'm taking a break from Maverick for a while. My local metagame isn't friendly to fair creature decks ( = combo decks everywhere)
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Resident Proctologist
    Oct 2008
    Muncie, Indiana

On a side note, I'm taking a break from Maverick for a while. My local metagame isn't friendly to fair creature decks ( = combo decks everywhere)
    Serves you right. It is YOUR FAULT that control has been surpressed thus allowing combo to run rampant after all :p

I ran GW maverick over my punishing maverick for the first time last weekend. I ran Kobys last posted 58 (maze instead of mindcensor, 1 bop over 4th noble) GW md list. While I did end up winning a SCQ-IQ, and a seperate tourney for a dual land, terravore was underwhelming when I saw him.

MY SB:
    2 Choke, 2 Path of E, 2 Enlightened Tutor, 1 E-Cannonist, 1 P-Metamorph, 1 Worship (won me a few), 1 O-Ring, 1 U-Jitte, 1 B-Bog, 1 Wheel of S

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by DrHealex View Post
    Serves you right. It is YOUR FAULT that control has been surpressed thus allowing combo to run rampant after all :p

I ran GW maverick over my punishing maverick for the first time last weekend. I ran Kobys last posted 58 (maze instead of mindcensor, 1 bop over 4th noble) GW md list. While I did end up winning a SCQ-IQ, and a seperate tourney for a dual land, terravore was underwhelming when I saw him.

MY SB:
    2 Choke, 2 Path of E, 2 Enlightened Tutor, 1 E-Cannonist, 1 P-Metamorph, 1 Worship (won me a few), 1 O-Ring, 1 U-Jitte, 1 B-Bog, 1 Wheel of S
    I tried worship a couple of times. I normally found it to come out a few turns too late or the match where I boarded it in ended up doing nothing because I tried too hard for it to be good. When do you board it in and do you thing it deserves a spot in the sideboard or just for specific meta games?

Resident Proctologist
    Oct 2008
    Muncie, Indiana

I tried worship a couple of times. I normally found it to come out a few turns too late or the match where I boarded it in ended up doing nothing because I tried too hard for it to be good. When do you board it in and do you thing it deserves a spot in the sideboard or just for specific meta games?
    YARG! CURSED PHONE KEEPS EATING HALF MY POSTS! Oh well, I'll fix them later.

I always feel I need something for burn, and worship has the widest range of applications. But yes, i do feel like I am "trying to hard" to make it work sometimes. I throw them in vs decks that likely have no answers for it AND i have more than enough bad cards to come out.. Like burn, dredge, affinity, goblins, merfolk, or belcher. It is undoubtedly the weakest card in my SB though.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

On a side note, I'm taking a break from Maverick for a while.
    But... but... those Beta Savannahs...

YARG! CURSED PHONE KEEPS EATING HALF MY POSTS! Oh well, I'll fix them later.

I always feel I need something for burn, and worship has the widest range of applications. But yes, i do feel like I am "trying to hard" to make it work sometimes. I throw them in vs decks that likely have no answers for it AND i have more than enough bad cards to come out.. Like burn, dredge, affinity, goblins, merfolk, or belcher. It is undoubtedly the weakest card in my SB though.
    For me Worship has been great. It won me a game against Dredge when my opp already had made some zombies. It can suprise and steal some easy wins.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

What are you switching to koby? I'll have to follow that thread now:p
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

He's gonna pick up Doomsday now.
    Good luck!

Resident Proctologist
    Oct 2008
    Muncie, Indiana

Has anyone tried running a 1 of Fauna Shaman, then running 1 md aven mindcensor and 1 sb Linvala? OR is it just too slow?

Speaking of speed, has anyone tried running ESG/C-Mox/Lotus-P/Mox-D? It often feels like being able to drop a turn 1 hatebear would make all the difference vs combo.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Linvala is a decent mirrortech. Fauna Shaman combined with Loyal Retainers and a Elesh-Norn or Iona is already pretty normal. I wouldn't play it, but it does have its upsides.

Playing additional mana accelleration is not that great. It might help you against combo, but in all other matchups the card disadvantage is killing. Maverick is a pretty controllish deck, don't forget that. If you need speed versus combo, why not try four Mindbreak Traps in the sideboard? Combined with a number of hatebears, you should look pretty good against combo.

Resident Proctologist
    Oct 2008
    Muncie, Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Linvala is decent mirrortech. Fauna Shaman combined with Loyal Retainers and a Elesh-Norn or Iona is already pretty normal. I wouldn't play it, but it does have its upsides..
    Linvala is more than decent, but not so as an untutorable one of. I figure in the mirror there would be more than enough time to get linvala the long way if necessary gsz > fs> linvala ( or moms / beaters / hatebear / etc).

I too wouldn't play the retainers/elesh package since it requires at least 5 slots, which is ALOT.

HMMMM.... I think I may have sold myself on the idea.

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Linvala is more than decent, but not so as an untutorable one of. I figure in the mirror there would be more than enough time to get linvala the long way if necessary gsz > fs> linvala ( or moms / beaters / hatebear / etc).

I too wouldn't play the retainers/elesh package since it requires at least 5 slots, which is ALOT.

HMMMM.... I think I may have sold myself on the idea.
    I know someone who plays a 1 of fauna shaman and as far as I can tell it's fine. I on the other hand, am a greedy person so I run the Loyal Retainers package.

Thread Information