Page 126 of 428 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130136176226 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,520 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Here's the list I ran:

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Terravore
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Dryad Arbor

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Light & Shadow
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Sylvan Library

4 Windswept Heath
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Savannah
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Wasteland
    2 Horizon Canopy
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Gaea's Cradle

Sideboard
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Gut Shot
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Maze of Ith
    2 Choke
    1 Oblivion Ring

Spell Pierce wasn't used enough during the day, since I didn't run against Burn. I'm thinking I'll cut it for more dedicated combo hate +1 Canonist and possibly 2 Leyline of Sanctity. This would allow me to cut the Tropical and go back down to 21 land + Dryad Arbor as I've been playing forever now. The extra slot in the maindeck will probably switch to Aven Mindcensor(s). Elspeth still doesn't get along well with Thalia, and the extra flying creatures are better to fight Delvers. Mindcensor also has some good uses vs combo & the mirror, so it's much better than Elspeth right now.

Stoneforge Mystic was added back in after I was disappointed by needing to draw Jitte the hard ways. Playing with two is fine, gives me the right tool at the right time, and allows me to play SoLS too, which is still good.

Keep in mind this is tailored to my metagame, and not every metagame is the same. There's about 5-8 flex slots in the deck - use them appropriately.
    Hi, what are those extra slots you are switching to Mindcensors? Atm my meta is full of Dredge (40%) and Reanimator (10-20%) so I'm playing this list

Creatures(27)
    4x Knight of the Reliquary
    4x Mother of Runes
    4x Noble Hierarch
    3x Qasali Pridemage
    3x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3x Scavenging Ooze
    2x Stoneforge Mystic
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Scryb Ranger
    1x Terravore
    1x Aven Mindcensor

Spells(11)
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    1x Sylvan Library
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Sword of Light and Shadow

Lands(22)
    4x Savannah
    4x Wasteland
    4x Windswept Heath
    2x Misty Rainforest
    1x Horizon Canopy
    1x Dryad Arbor
    2x Forest
    1x Karakas
    1x Plains
    1x Gaea's Cradle
    1x Bojuka Bog

SB:
    3 Gut Shot
    1 Tower of the Magistrate
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Path to Exile
    2 Choke
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Maze of Ith
    2 Surgical Extraction

I' not sure is Tower of the Magistrate needed in SB. Maybe replace it with another Path. I also would like to add another Mindcensor in MD but don't know what to remove . Any advice??

Resident Proctologist
    Oct 2008
    Muncie, Indiana

aven mindcensor, Terravore, 3rd quasali pridemage, and 3rd ooze are all cards that are generally considered flexible. Terravore being the likely choice of replacement since he is JUST a finisher.

IF it is as you claim with your field being 50%-60% graveyard decks, You could also look into loaming shaman since ooze wont do enough once they get a few dredges on ya and its a nice way to reset. crop rotation is also pretty decent vs both of them :D

Tower aint bad, but I would value it less than maze in usefulness.

As a sidenote, when Did the 3noble/1bop split fall out of favor. The mirror is all about evasion (moms or not), and that little guy has won me many a game. IT'S also a nice way to pay for pacts, (i have totally metamorphed my own bop vs hivemind before)

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Crop Rotation is something I've been wanting to try out. It improves the use of Bog and Cradle in conjunction with Ooze against graveyard decks. It's pretty fun to blow people out when they don't expect you to activate "Knight" out of nowhere.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Anyone considered that Cavern of Soul might have a home in maverick? Important humans Knight of the Reliquary, Mother of Runes, Thalia, Noble Hierarch and Loyal Retainers. And can still be used for colorless mana for your GSZ.

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Rizso View Post
    Anyone considered that Cavern of Soul might have a home in maverick? Important humans Knight of the Reliquary, Mother of Runes, Thalia, Noble Hierarch and Loyal Retainers. And can still be used for colorless mana for your GSZ.
    It was discussed a few pages back and the consensus believes that if it is even played at all it would just be a one of in the deck. This is because it adds another wastelandable card to the mana base, it doesn't provide green or white mana to all of the non-human cards in the deck (Green Sun, Swords, etc), it can not be sac'd to a Knight, and most of the time you shouldn't really care if they are countering your spells as the next turn you should be able to land another threat.

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Fade View Post
    It was discussed a few pages back and the consensus believes that if it is even played at all it would just be a one of in the deck. This is because it adds another wastelandable card to the mana base, it doesn't provide green or white mana to all of the non-human cards in the deck (Green Sun, Swords, etc), it can not be sac'd to a Knight, and most of the time you shouldn't really care if they are countering your spells as the next turn you should be able to land another threat.
    A one-of seems pretty pointless since if you land a KotR to fetch it, they are likely spent on counters anyways. If anything, I could see potentially dropping Horizon Canopy, etc to try to squeeze it in as a 3-of. That way you'd at least see it early enough to make it relevant. Cutting Forests/Plains is troublesome because you need to feed them to KotR. Like most people are saying though, I'm not sure the deck needs a lot of help against counters.

May 2007
    Canada, eh?

Question for Fade: In your sideboard plans, you're taking out 2 Thalias in some of them, but your list only lists 1 Thalia. What did you cut for the second one?

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar of Light View Post
    Question for Fade: In your sideboard plans, you're taking out 2 Thalias in some of them, but your list only lists 1 Thalia. What did you cut for the second one?
    When I wrote that I actually had cut the Sylvan Library. I guess I had not noticed it when I looked at the list. Right now I'm running 61 cards which is that list including the Thalia. I'm trying to see which card needs to be cut and right now it looks like it could be the Elspeth, Terravore, or Aven Mindcensor. But it's too hard to decide right now and since I'm playing the list locally I don't find myself needing to rush to a conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzra View Post
    A one-of seems pretty pointless since if you land a KotR to fetch it, they are likely spent on counters anyways. If anything, I could see potentially dropping Horizon Canopy, etc to try to squeeze it in as a 3-of. That way you'd at least see it early enough to make it relevant. Cutting Forests/Plains is troublesome because you need to feed them to KotR. Like most people are saying though, I'm not sure the deck needs a lot of help against counters.
    My reason for the one of was because I really only care about resolving Mother of runes and Loyal Retainers. Anything else can be GSZ for. Having the one of would allow me to fetch it up with Knight and play the Loyal Retainers without it getting countered. I wouldn't dilute the mana base with running cavern as a 3 of due to the other spells in the deck that you want to cast in the early game.

May 2007
    Canada, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Fade View Post
    When I wrote that I actually had cut the Sylvan Library. I guess I had not noticed it when I looked at the list. Right now I'm running 61 cards which is that list including the Thalia. I'm trying to see which card needs to be cut and right now it looks like it could be the Elspeth, Terravore, or Aven Mindcensor. But it's too hard to decide right now and since I'm playing the list locally I don't find myself needing to rush to a conclusion.
    Forgot to add this to my last question: how's the Gavony Township working for you?

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Questions to those who want to use cavern of souls.

Do you really care if people counter your creatures? Maverick is made to beat blue decks. The power of it is to power through the counters with amazing top decks each turn.

Why make ur lands more vulnerable?

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Forgot to add this to my last question: how's the Gavony Township working for you?
    Breaks the mirror and other aggro decks if the game goes long. The card even allows you to be aggressive after your board has been swept by a Wrath or Perish. Conclusion: I would rather run Gavony Township than Cavern of Souls.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

How does it break mirror ? With wastelands all around ?

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    If you tutor for it with Knight you should get at least two activations before they get a chance to lay another Wasteland. Making all your Hierarchs into 2/3 critters seems quite powerful.

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    What lyracian said is true. But even dropping it down on your turn when there is a stalemate on board is devastating. Giving any flyer just one +1/+1 activation is a significant clock when you also have exalted triggers. It could also be the crucial +1/+1 to Knight that allows you to swing in for the win with the help of Mother of Runes.

Having the card in your deck doesn't make you automatically win the match up but it is nice when all of your normal guys are bigger than your opponents. At that point, the only thing your opponent could have is a bigger Knight or Terravore and if they don't answer the Township with a wasteland your creatures will continue to become bigger and bigger threats.

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

I begin to test this card, it seems a little awkward at first glance, but it may be an answer to dread of night or sulfer elemental etc...
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

I'm not convinced. The mirror all comes down to connecting with Umezawa's Jitte so you can disable opposing Mother of Runes. Other highly relevant cards are Maze of Ith, Aven Mindcensor and - if you run the Fauna Shaman Engine - Linvala, Keeper of Silence. Also, having more Knights usually helps a lot. Having the 2nd Umezawa's Jitte in your deck essential.

Don't get me wrong. I like people trying to eventually "break" the mirror "open" in a sense, that skill won't just matter up to a certain point. However, giving "the crucial +1/+1 to Knight that allows you to swing in for the win" isn't even the so-called "danger of cool things", it's just not worth it.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    I'm not convinced. The mirror all comes down to connecting with Umezawa's Jitte so you can disable opposing Mother of Runes. Other highly relevant cards are Maze of Ith, Aven Mindcensor and - if you run the Fauna Shaman Engine - Linvala, Keeper of Silence. Also, having more Knights usually helps a lot. Having the 2nd Umezawa's Jitte in your deck essential.

Don't get me wrong. I like people trying to eventually "break" the mirror "open" in a sense, that skill won't just matter up to a certain point. However, giving "the crucial +1/+1 to Knight that allows you to swing in for the win" isn't even the so-called "danger of cool things", it's just not worth it.
    I think you are taking what I posted out of context. I said it breaks the mirror if the game goes long. When you get to that point where both decks are top decking, if you have a Gavony out and your opponent doesn't then you are probably going to win the game. I also said it could give Knight the crucial +1/+1. Does it always happen ... of course not but has it happened, yes.

People play the mirror match up differently. I for one tend not to rely on equipment as one can just tutor up a pridemage or play one of their own Jittes. If it comes up I will play it to my advantage but I'm not going to feel safe just because I connected once with a Jitte. Swordings Mother/Knight is quite possibly the best thing you could do. Flyers do matter in the mirror even if it is just a Scryb ranger and what's nice about the Gavony is it will pump your flyer to make a faster clock.

I'm not saying Gavony is made for the deck. In fact, it's only in there for the games that go long. But all I'm trying to put out there is Gavony might deserve the 22nd land slot instead of a second Canopy or instead of a Cavern of Souls for those who are considering that option.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

From my experience, the mirror comes down to one of three scenarios:

A) One player has put the opponent into mana screw; either by luck or by Wasteland. That player cannot develop his board. This player has lost "initiative".
    B) One player has an active Mother of Runes and is able to ignore any advancement in board position. This player has gained "initiative".
    C) Both players are attempting to maintain good board position and keep a Mother of Runes active. No player has "initiative".

(A) tends to happen quite frequently from my experience. It only takes 1 missed land drop to fall behind.

The cards that truly matter in the mirror are Mother of Runes and <Walking-Abyss or evasive creature>. The latter is merely a way to close the game. All cards being suggested to "break the mirror" are merely derivatives of these two goals.

Example:
    Gideon Jura causes a player to lose initiative.
    Linvala forces a player to lose initiative.
    Maze of Ith controls evasive breakthroughs.
    Parallax Wave causes a player to lose initiative and simultaneously gain it yourself. (double whammy)
    Elesh Norn causes a player to lose initiative and simultaneously gain "evasion".
    Gut Shot allows a player to shut off Mother of Runes before initiative is gained.
    Connecting with Jitte allows a player to regain initiative.
    etc

It still comes down to whoever can control Mother of Runes active.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Yes, initiative and having an active Mother of Runes is very important.
    Also, Aven Mindcensor can make a hughe difference.

In my experience, winning game one is VERY important. The winner of game one can defend and stall the match out until time and a 1-0-1 result.

If you expect a lot of mirror matches, you should include 3 Aven Mindcensors in the main deck + the proper equipment package (so you will probably win game one), and things that stop your opponent from having initiative in the sideboard, like Gut Shots and perhaps Gideon Jura or so.

Last tourney I played with Mav I expected little mirrors, but had to play two. One I won because I had more experience playing the deck, and the other I lost because he had Mindcensors and I didn't, which really messed up my game plan. Even Elspeth couldn't rescue me in that one...

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    From my experience, the mirror comes down to one of three scenarios:

A) One player has put the opponent into mana screw; either by luck or by Wasteland. That player cannot develop his board. This player has lost "initiative".
    B) One player has an active Mother of Runes and is able to ignore any advancement in board position. This player has gained "initiative".
    C) Both players are attempting to maintain good board position and keep a Mother of Runes active. No player has "initiative".

(A) tends to happen quite frequently from my experience. It only takes 1 missed land drop to fall behind.

The cards that truly matter in the mirror are Mother of Runes and <Walking-Abyss or evasive creature>. The latter is merely a way to close the game. All cards being suggested to "break the mirror" are merely derivatives of these two goals.

Example:
    Gideon Jura causes a player to lose initiative.
    Linvala forces a player to lose initiative.
    Maze of Ith controls evasive breakthroughs.
    Parallax Wave causes a player to lose initiative and simultaneously gain it yourself. (double whammy)
    Elesh Norn causes a player to lose initiative and simultaneously gain "evasion".
    Gut Shot allows a player to shut off Mother of Runes before initiative is gained.
    Connecting with Jitte allows a player to regain initiative.
    etc

It still comes down to whoever can control Mother of Runes active.
    These may be the most common situations in the mirror but the game is dependent on every decision you make and what cards you actually play. I for one have never lost a mirror match after resolving a Sylvan Library, it just finds everything you need most of the time.

Having a Mother of Runes when your opponent has a beater with flying is also problematic. You either have to swords it, find Maze of Ith, or get a flyer of your own out.

Thread Information