Page 130 of 428 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140180230 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,600 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

May 2012
    Beantown, USA

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

So anyway.

I'm not ready to put down my "beat blue's face in without playing blue" G/W Dudes deck just because Sneak-n-Show is going to take 16 of the top 32 at the next SCG Open.

Adam Cai did an awesome job in Baltimore with a list that brings the versatility of Mav right to the edge with Fauna Shaman / Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite / Spell Pierce +1 Flusterstorm out of the SB. Even included two Linvala, Keeper of Silence! Good God. I'm not as good a player as he, so I'll to stick to straight G/W for its consistency and good times in the loser's bracket.

How am I going to tweak my 75 in mind of Show and Tell dropping everywhere?

Clearly, the best G/W answer for a card that could ever make it in the 75 of a G/W Dudes deck is dropping a Humility, preferably under Show and Tell. I even took a match from a Stax player in round 1 at SCG:Providence who resolved Humility in all three games, so, you know, it's not THAT anti-synergistic. Oblivion Ring is far away the second choice in power, because of the activated abilities of Griselbrand and Sneak Attack getting to go on the stack before ORing's ability resolves.

Of course, I may as well run Orim's Chant instead of Humility... unless I want a fun tournament full of getting punched in the face by opponents, doing 1/1 wars with every RUG/Blade/Creatures deck I face. (At least with GSZ I can keep ahead on the creature count!!!) And with Carpet of Flowers, to go with Chant, any blue combo deck that durdles until turn five, dies. Especially under Sylvan Library.

Considering I'm playing in SCG Opens, not GPs or Invitationals, I think it's okay to hone in the sideboard a little more. What do we have for possibilities?

Deathbringer Liege: Can get it under Fauna Shaman, Costs 5 just like Elspeth under Thalia, helps Mom AND Thalia with Sulfur Elemental, taps down Emmy when I swords Drizzlebrand, is great when I get to drop it under Show. Carries Jitte like a boss. Nice ass. Also kills Emmy if you splash black for Thoughtsieze to shore up your Combo M/U.

Diversionary Tactics: Maindeckable in the Meta, replacement Mom effect when Sulfur Elemental eats her, costs five under Thalia like Elspeth, goes great with Exalted. Works perfect with our E-tutor sideboard.

Storm Front: Oh man. This may just replace Carpet of Flowers in my sideboard against Delver. DAZE THIS! See what happens, Sneaky Show Dudes, when you ditch Proggy for Yawgmoth's Drawstick?? At least Progenitus pitches to Force of Will. (Oh. Rule 702.15i. Anyways.)

Scepter of Dominance / Trip Noose. Eh, mana hungry, die in the Mirror. Hated out by Shattering Spree. Most of my Turn 1/2 White Mana is sick when Show and Tell drops. (Fear Wasteland!) (Though I have been thinking about cutting Wasteland in favor of City of Traitors to speed things up a bit... goes good with Fetches and KotR!) At this point, may as well run Staff of Domination out of the etutor board... 'specially with Carpet. Notably, do not carry Jitte, or pitch to Fauna Shaman.

Tangle: Umm, yeah, maybe if I cast it in their main phase. Can't drop it under Show. Also I heard conditional non-permanents are bad without Brainstorm.

WHICH LEADS ME TO THE ULTIMATE ANSWER:

Azorius Guildmage: Holy sh*t, Stifle on a Stick!!! T1 Noble Hierach, pass, (sneaky show durdles), T2 land, pass, Show and Tell, GG! Strong with aforementioned City of Traitors. Or you can just tap down Emrakul if Sneak Attack is not involved on this turn. I mean, if we're holding lands up for a crushing Aven Mindcensor play anyway.... Carries Jitte like a boss. Fetchable with Shaman. Sneaky Show will not board in Pyroblast against G/W Maverick.

---

In all seriousness, I'll probably make room for two Parallax Wave and rock a couple Oblivion Ring MD in place of fragile, slow one-ofs that don't impact the board until you untap with them and don't hit Nimble Mongoose. (Oh, wait.) Costs five under Thalia, just like Elspeth. It'll buy time to untap with Knight->Karakas and get draw into a Plow or get my Scryb Ranger with SoLaS online to handle Grizzy. ORing will be a four-bomb under Thalia, but if I need to stick her, and she lives, I'm probably winning anyway.

Will never shell out $$$ for playset of FoW, Jace, Brainstorm. Would rather pay $100/ea for Savannah.

^That was a somewhat funny troll post=]

Mar 2007
    RI

I agree. I'm running 2 Wave and a Ring sb, with 1 Karakas main 1 board, and the Fauna Shaman + Revoker/Metamorph package. I feel like I have plenty of game against Sneak & Show.

Considering the discussion of tappers though, the one that I might consider running as a 1-of is Thornscape Apprentice as it's a GSZ target, that can tap opposing Delvers/Mother of Runes and obviously has application against Griselbrand and Emrakul.

I looked at the Show And Tell lists, and if it seems that if you have an Ensnaring Bridge out, they can't actually win.

May 2012
    Beantown, USA

Quote Originally Posted by from Cairo View Post
    I agree. I'm running 2 Wave and a Ring sb, with 1 Karakas main 1 board, and the Fauna Shaman + Revoker/Metamorph package. I feel like I have plenty of game against Sneak & Show.

Considering the discussion of tappers though, the one that I might consider running as a 1-of is Thornscape Apprentice as it's a GSZ target, that can tap opposing Delvers/Mother of Runes and obviously has application against Griselbrand and Emrakul.
    Thornscape Apprentice is cool, I have a couple in my sideboard binder.

However, a true Maverick answer to Sneaky Show must be:

1) Droppable under Show and Tell, thus, uncounterable. We're not winning counter wars.

2) Once dropped under Show and Tell, immediately usable. There is no time to react. This eliminates any creature with tap-to-activate abilities, even though it may be more deckable in other matchups. This also eliminates Instants, Sorceries, and Planeswalkers.

Ensnaring Bridge gets hit by not only Wipe Away, which is in the Sneaky Show SB, but Shattering Spree too, which is also in there. Maverick also can't win with it out, unlike being able to swing armies of 1/1s into Opponent's smaller armies of 1/1s under Humility in any crazy scenario where you would bring it against a deck other than Sneaky Show. Strictly worse than Humility against RUG/Delver, too. And X/Blade. And still lets Griselbrand dig for the aforementioned Wipe Away. Although, I admit, in that particular game, we MIGHT be able to clock them faster with an Ensnaring Bridge than a Humility, so long as we don't Wasteland them off Red.

So, Parallax Wave it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Nutox View Post
    Thornscape Apprentice is cool, I have a couple in my sideboard binder.

However, a true Maverick answer to Sneaky Show must be:

1) Droppable under Show and Tell, thus, uncounterable. We're not winning counter wars.

2) Once dropped under Show and Tell, immediately usable. There is no time to react. This eliminates any creature with tap-to-activate abilities, even though it may be more deckable in other matchups. This also eliminates Instants, Sorceries, and Planeswalkers.

Ensnaring Bridge gets hit by not only Wipe Away, which is in the Sneaky Show SB, but Shattering Spree too, which is also in there. Maverick also can't win with it out, unlike being able to swing armies of 1/1s into Opponent's smaller armies of 1/1s under Humility in any crazy scenario where you would bring it against a deck other than Sneaky Show. Strictly worse than Humility against RUG/Delver, too. And X/Blade. And still lets Griselbrand dig for the aforementioned Wipe Away. Although, I admit, in that particular game, we MIGHT be able to clock them faster with an Ensnaring Bridge than a Humility, so long as we don't Wasteland them off Red.

So, Parallax Wave it is!
    Peacekeeper could be a good answer. Has sinergy with cavern of souls (human) and fauna shaman.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

All Trolliness aside, Parallax Wave doesn't stop Griselbrand from drawing cards. And they're going to sideboard in Woodfall Primus if they think you can drop a goofy answer off Show and Tell.

I'd seriously pick Humility. Sneak and Show is the most common Show and Tell deck right now, and having a Humility in your hand shuts off their Show and Tells. Just get a Revoker on Sneak Attack or stick a Teeg and you're good to go. Teeg/Humility's pretty stout against Dream Halls too.

An Ethersworn Canonist is your best bet against Hive Mind without cluttering your board with excruciatingly narrow cards. Drop it off the SnT and stick a Pridemage and you might steal a game or two.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I'm liking Revoker right now, and just chalk it up to can'ts meaningfully interact with Show & Tell. There's still plenty of decks that we can beat up on.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Site Contributor
    Aug 2006
    Arizona

Random suggestions:

Brittle Effigy
    Duplicant

Both of these get dropped off of a Show and Tell and they can deal with the creature immediately. Duplicant also has the awesome ability to become a 15/15 or a 7/7 to put your opponent on a serious clock. Of course, he doesn't help too much versus Sneak Attack, but Revokers would be good at that point to force them to Show and Tell.

Of course, these answers are pretty narrow but I'm just trying to continue the brainstorm for answers :)
    Magic: the Gathering players in Arizona, click here!
    @mtgtwin1 on Twitter
    3 SCG Open Top 8s
    GP Denver 2013 Top 64
    GP NJ 2014 110th/4001
    AZMagicPlayers.com Legacy Series Tournament Organizer
    Random Brews/Decks Galore!

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Maybe I am missing something, but how is Sneak Show ever going to beat Mother of Runes protecting Peacekeeper? Double Pyroclasm/Echoing Truth? Even more once Scryb Ranger shows up?

I'm no longer playing this deck, but Peacekeeper seems like a better option than Humility.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

I have serious problems against rug and lost like 10-2 in testings. How to beat this deck?
    First turn delver is almost impossible to handle. And if I got STP Rug has Mongoose, Removal and Submerge to get lethal.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

May 2012
    Beantown, USA

Ah, naw, I'm not trolling... just trying to clear the air, and be humorously absurd in the light of asking a totally absurd question like "How can G/W Maverick hose a great blue combo deck that doesn't care much about Thalia, without completely janking my 75?"

I guess I was focused a little narrowly on turn-2 nut-draw sneak attack activations. Then I went ahead and RTFM.

"Rule 404.1: a triggered ability begins with the word “when,” “whenever,” or “at."

So Phyrexian Revoker and Pithing Needle possess static abilities. Not ETB triggers. Sneak Attack activations never have a chance to go on the stack. :facepalm:

I'm gonna go take my seat back at Table 199 now. With an 8-split of oring, revoker, needle, and pwave in my pile. Thank you all for the brainstorming.

May 2012
    Beantown, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Maybe I am missing something, but how is Sneak Show ever going to beat Mother of Runes protecting Peacekeeper? Double Pyroclasm/Echoing Truth? Even more once Scryb Ranger shows up?

I'm no longer playing this deck, but Peacekeeper seems like a better option than Humility.
    Hah! So we beat Sneaky Show by decking them as they sit at 6 life. That's actually pretty rad. Too narrow to sideboard in Maverick for a tournament, one might say, compared to some other suggestions, but a way bigger lock than Revoker/Mom for that deck. Awesome call.

And despite all my inordinately misdirected fighting spirit, nobody's going to beat the turn one sneaky show nut draw, so I'll just get over it.

/goes back to sit under the noob tree.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

What's wrong with Knight into Karakas? Beats Show and Tell. Maze is good against Griselbrand. Yes, Karakas doesn't stop Sneak Attack with RR open, but Maverick's best bet is - drop Thalia, drop Knight, find Qasali Pridemage for Sneak Attack, drop Choke (games 2-3), get Karakas in play, keep Swords to Plowshares in for Griselbrand, get Maze into play (doesn't stop Emrakul trigger, but it does prevent the damage- especially with Sneak Attack in play, they have to draw 3 creatures to deal 20), board in Surgical Extraction if you have it in your 75 (remove Emmy or Griselbrand after they are sacrificed from Sneak Attack or remove one of the combo pieces (either a cast Show and Tell or a QP'd Sneak Attack).

If you are really, really worried about Sneak Attack, either:
    1) Run Ensnaring Bridge (however, it may be too late)
    2) Go back to punishing Mav and run Pyroblast/REB with Ethersworn Canonist
    3) Run Revoker/Needle on Sneak Attack
    4) Run Retribution of the Meek

Also, always, always, use your Wastelands liberally. Finally, Aven Mindcensor is good in this match-up (stops Intution and is effective against fetch lands).

In conclusion, drop Thalia, get in some early beats, keep them off lands, pray a little bit.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

I recently added 3 Needle and 2 Gaddock (1 Main) to my SB. Mainly as out against UW Miracle (Top, Jace, Terminus) but effective against Sneakshow too. 2 Karakas main.

I still need suggestions for Rug though, or was I just unlucky?

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    I recently added 3 Needle and 2 Gaddock (1 Main) to my SB. Mainly as out against UW Miracle (Top, Jace, Terminus) but effective against Sneakshow too. 2 Karakas main.

I still need suggestions for Rug though, or was I just unlucky?
    Sounds like a solid plan vs. Sneak and Show.

RUG should be a favorable match up. A few suggestions:
    Play around Wasteland.
    Play Choke.
    Bring in extra removal in the form of Path to Exile or Gut Shot.
    Umezawa's Jitte is a beatstick.
    Scavenging Ooze is even better (just make sure it doesn't get Bolted right away - bring it into play when they are tapped out of R or when you have 3+ G available and 3+ creatures in the yard).

Be aware of Submerge, Sulfur Elemental, and Forked Bolt.

Regarding Submerge: either 1) avoid forests (can be done though Horizon Canopy/Gaea's Cradle/Noble Heirarch, although the life loss from Canopy can hurt, sacrificing early forests to a KotR), or 2) Play Teeg (shuts down their Submerge/FOW, but also shuts down your GSZ. You can pull Teeg tricks with Karakas, but be mindful of Submerge). Be mindful when you Fetch/Activate Knight or cast SFM (anytime you shuffle your library they will Submerge in response and you will shuffle your creature into your deck).

Regarding Sulfur Elemental: Be aware of Mother of Runes, Thalia, and Aven (if you run it - I like Aven in this match-up because it trades with a flipped Delver and can disrupt RUG's fragile mana base). Thalia is very good against RUG, since they are tight on mana.

Regarding Forked Bolt: Don't play into an early 2-for-1, especially with mana creatures.

Play smart around Daze, Spell Pierce, and Stifle.

Once you hit a Knight, they have few answers.

They board out Nimble Mongoose vs. Maverick. This leaves them with 10 creatures (4 Delvers, 4 Goyfs, and 1/2 boarded Sulfur Elementals / Scavenging Ooze). Delver is the hardest for us to handle, so focus on that first. We should be able to win the battles on the ground (Knight/Ooze/Equiped creatures should be bigger than/have protection from green). Be mindful of your life total so you cannot be finished off with burn. Be mindful of granting them tempo plays, i.e. empowering their Dazes, Spell Pierces, Forked Bolts, and/or Sulfur Elementals. If you can maintain parity, you will win more often than you lose because your threats are bigger. The longer you can stretch out the game, the better your chances of winning (assuming you are not clinging to 2 life and praying they don't draw a Bolt). You are the control deck, they are the beat down. Negate their early threats and drop bombs. Once your bombs resolve, the tempo shifts and they must attempt to use their inferior answers.

Finally, be mindful of Sulfuric Vortex. Leave a number of Qasali Pridemages in to destroy this enchantment. It prevents life gain and can be used to burn us out of the game.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

well, most of the advices are obv., but thanks.

Sure, if I have the right cards on time, its beatable. But after boarding it gets really nasty. I didnt have opp who sided out mongoose and i dont think thats a good plan to do so.
    After boarding they have answers to Mom, Thalia, Aven with Sulfur on top of Forked Bolts. They can Daze and Snare the 2-Drops and Daze and Bounce the Knight.
    Or they just Bolt or Force the Stuff away :(

I really struggle with this matchup. And I found Choke very slow. Good lists have Taiga or bounce their Islands with Daze.

What MD cards are the most useless? My current list is:

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Mother of Runes
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Savannah
    4 Wasteland
    2 Horizon Canopy
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Karakas
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Kor Haven
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Sword of War and Peace
    1 Batterskull
    1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    1 Glowrider
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    SB: 1 Bojuka Bog
    SB: 2 Choke
    SB: 1 Harmonic Sliver
    SB: 2 Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2 Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 3 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Aven Mindcensor

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

I don't think you are playing an optimized list, but I would cut:
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Qasali Pridemage

and add:
    2 Choke
    1 Aven Mindcensor

If you added some removal to your sideboard (cut 2 Teeg) for Gut Shot or PTE (use Gut Shot if you are worried about RUG).

If you add the Gut Shot/PTE, I would cut Elspeth and Thrun for the other two slots. Some people disagree and believe Elspeth and Thrun are awesome in this match-up (if you live long enough to cast them).

The other option is to remove the SFM package and blank any artifact hate the bring in (I don't like this plan, as Jitte, Batterskull and Sword of X&Y all rule in this match up, but it can be effective if you see them bringing in, say 3 Ancient Grudge or something silly like that).

Why are you running Sword of War and Peace?

You probably don't need 2 Karakas main. With KotR, 1 is enough. Probably worth dropping a Karakas and adding a Savannah or Forest in that slot.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    I don't think you are playing an optimized list, but I would cut:

well, everbody has its preferences, but dont you think the library is useful in this matchup?

If you added some removal to your sideboard (cut 2 Teeg) for Gut Shot or PTE (use Gut Shot if you are worried about RUG).

I absolutely need Teeg against Miracle and Sneak Attack

Why are you running Sword of War and Peace?
    Protection Swords and Lingering Souls + Protection Burn with added Lifegain. Can also end control matchups real quick.

You probably don't need 2 Karakas main. With KotR, 1 is enough. Probably worth dropping a Karakas and adding a Savannah or Forest in that slot.

I like 2 Karakas, it sometimes is an additional Wasteland and im really afraid of Emrakul

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Library is useful in all match ups. It usually comes out against quicker decks because Maverick shifts into more of a control role (they are the beatdown). While the filter effect can be useful, especially with shuffle effects, you will rarely utilize the draw a card: pay 4 life feature against a faster deck like RUG, Burn, or Zoo.

You run 4 GSZ, so one Teeg should be enough. If you have an opening hand with 1) Noble Heirarch and GSZ or 2) double GSZ hand without Dryad Arbor, Teeg is still a 2 drop (assuming you have a green source in both).

Thread Information