Page 14 of 428 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

If x=B it would be one of the most aggressive Rock version, I don't see place for Hymns, Thoughtseizes, Vindicates, Deeds here. U can say also that all blue decks which have 4 x FoW, 4 x Missteps, 4 Brainstorms is the same sorry its wrong - game plan is important, also here. Splash with B brings mostly Confidants sometimes 2-3 Vindicates nothing more so its far from Rock List.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: [ATB] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Guevera59 View Post
    I guess I made a mistake posting my list in this thread. I was under the impression that Maverick was a GWx Midrange deck that supports a Stoneforge package, not a GWU Midrange Deck. I decided not to post in the Zoo thread because they are currently discussing Glittering Wish which is just not worth my time, I was hoping that this thread would be a little more constructive. Now I find out this thread refuses to play Tarmogoyf, the best creature ever printed, along with Wild Nacatl, the best one drop ever printed, Stoneforge, the best white creature ever printed, in conjunction with Knight of the Reliquary, the best three drop ever printed, and Lightnting Bolt and StP, the best removal spells ever printed. But you'd rather equip to feeble 1/1's instead of 4/5's. Someone mentioned that one should start playing more Goyfs depending on your metagame, I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. It's a sad day when people start to forget the power of Tarmogoyf. You don't need a GSZ toolbox when you can just play 8x Goyfs, 8x Nacatls, and 7x Knights.

My deck cuts the cute tricks brought to you by Mother of Runes and the Rangers, and instead just plays big dudes, good removal, and practical equipment. And I got 10th at a 300 person tournament.

Sorry for posting a list with results. I suggest this thread gets its shit together and starts playing good cards.
    If you're looking at this decklist from a perspective of a Zoo player, then yes the conclusion you have becomes imminent. However, the basis of the deck isn't "efficient beatsticks + removal spells". It's a toolbox deck that utilizes three powerful tutors:

a) Green Sun's Zenith
    b) Stoneforge Mystic
    c) Knight of the Reliquary

This lumps the deck into three distinct groups -

1) green creatures
    • Terravore
    • Qasali Pridemage
    • Thrun
    • Tarmogoyf (sometimes - it only becomes effective against other Tarmogoyf decks)
    • Knight of the Reliquary

2) equipment
    • chose 2-4 of the following - Batterskull, Sword of X and Y, Umezawa's Jitte, Manriki-Gusari

3) utility lands
    • Wasteland
    • Horizon Canopy
    • Maze of Ith
    • Gaea's Cradle

This deck contains many synergies which play off each other. This deck is NOT like Zoo in that it just casts cheap efficient threats to overwhelm/race the opponent who cannot keep up. This is the reason why this deck has a great control matchup, where Zoo falters and dies to any mass removal spell, or trump. This deck is a series of Trump-cards, rather than a collection of redundant threats.

That's neat that you got 10th in a tournament of 300. Here's a list that got 10th in a tournament of 600+:

//NAME: Zenith GW - Niklas Kronberger - 10th @ BOM 5
    2 Forest
    2 Horizon Canopy
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    3 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Temple Garden
    4 Savannah
    1 Plains

4 Swords To Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

1 Tarmogoyf
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Quirion Ranger
    1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Scryb Ranger

3 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Mother of Runes
    3 Aven Mindcensor

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Feast And Famine
    1 Batterskull

//Sideboard
    SB: 1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    SB: 1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 1 Wheel of Sun And Moon
    SB: 2 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 2 Enlightened Tutor
    SB: 2 Krosan Grip
    SB: 1 Serenity
    SB: 2 Path to Exile
    SB: 1 Bojuka Bog
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

@IBA: There is no need for a philiosphocal discussion. Your post was flat out awful. It had two short statements that were inflated with vulgarities and condescension. I made these statements Italic and bold for you. If you find any more actual content in your jabbering feel free to inform me.

Statement one was "everybody who doesn't play multiple Tarmogoyfs, Elspeths and Sylvan Libraries is wrong". Library and Elspeth have been discussed before and the Goyf statement pretty much says that the last 40+guys (no time to check every single list) who top8ed with Maverick are idiots. Have your opinion, but try to respect other people's test results and tournament success over your own theory.

The second statement was "Maverick is an archetype and not a deck because it has no core except for Lands, GSZ, KotR, SFM and StoP", supported by a short statistic about the last ten Maverick decks on TCD that shows that these decks only have 33 cards in common.
    Unfortunately such a statistic is quite pointless because by taking a ton of decks you will always have one not playing this fetchland, one not playing Canopies and one thinking that Mother of Runes is not needed.
    On top of that in a deck with usually 12 tutors the Tutor targets obviously vary without changing anything about the functionality or strategy of the deck. Morte has listed a core of this deck here http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post561942 but reading the thread before posting was too much to ask for. A vast majority of the decks on TCG will not vary from that 48 card core by more than 2 cards.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Also, FWIW, this would make Deadguy Ale an archetype and not a deck, as the only three cards I've ever seen present in every single maindeck have been Scrubland, Swamp, and Dark Confidant, and the current lists are at least as scattered as Maverick.

I guess my point is that lists vary highly. My Maverick is missing a few core cards because I designed my build independent but chronologically at around the same time as Maverick. I've since picked up on some ideas from the thread and now just count the deck/archetype as Maverick. I don't think whether it's a deck or an archetype matters much. The line's pretty blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

The first maverick list is this one:

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
    4 [TE] Wasteland
    1 [US] Gaea's Cradle
    4 [A] Savannah
    1 [U] Forest (3)
    1 [7E] Plains (3)
    4 [ON] Windswept Heath
    4 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
    1 [LG] Karakas
    1 [FUT] Treetop Village

// Creatures
    3 [UL] Mother of Runes
    4 [ARB] Qasali Pridemage
    2 [FD] Eternal Witness
    4 [WWK] Stoneforge Mystic
    3 [ON] Weathered Wayfarer
    4 [CFX] Knight of the Reliquary
    2 [TSP] Scryb Ranger
    4 [B] Birds of Paradise

// Spells
    1 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
    1 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 [DS] AEther Vial
    4 [A] Swords to Plowshares
    1 [DS] Sword of Light and Shadow
    2 [5E] Sylvan Library

// Sideboard
    SB: 3 [LRW] Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 1 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 [SHM] Wheel of Sun and Moon
    SB: 1 [ALA] Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 2 [TSP] Krosan Grip
    SB: 3 [MI] Enlightened Tutor
    SB: 3 [8E] Choke
    SB: 1 [WWK] Bojuka Bog

It was played in Spain even before than the arrival of vengevines. But it was after the survival of the fittest restriction when the deck had more success. The most decks had the same 55-60 cards.

When GSZ was printed, most people began to play it in maverick, adding a green creatures tool box, and keeping the core. The changes were:

GSZ instead of aether vial
    GSZ toolbox instead wayfarer
    Some people changed deck name to GW zenith

So, GW zenith decks seems like a maverick update, and now all people play with GSZ.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

@M@verick - yeap I agree with you that was one of the earliest list of this deck - it changes a lot from printing GSZ as metion in primer.

I have a new problem, I read on merfolks forum that they found new gun against us - Cursed Totem - this card looks quite problematic in this MU it look down most of our creatures, and can't be blow up from Qasali Pridemage - that the bad news. We can still approach but without KotR cycling/tutoring, Scryb vingilance, and SFM equip cheat in to play this MU looks much harder. If Maverick become more popular we can face this card more often. Actual sideboard has only Krosan Grips against it (which never been sided before against them).

Solutions:
    1. Harmonic Sliver or other etb green creature which destroys artifacts, so each GSZ would be an out.
    2. Seal of Cleansing/Seal of Primordium under E.Tutor - rather bad out better Krosans

any others ?

Loves Witchcraft. <3
    Oct 2010

So, what do you think about Edric, spymaster of trest?

I've been wondering that would he be worthy of maindeck or sideboard slot, nice addition to the GSZ toolbox we have, but we do have Sylvan Library already.

So far here's my list:

23 //Creatures:

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Mother of Runes
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Rafiq of the Many
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Terravore
    1 Eternal Witness
    3 Stoneforge mystic

10 //Other:

4 Green sun's Zenith
    1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Body and Mind
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

4 //Removal:

4 Swords to Plowshares

22 //Lands:

1 Dryad Arbor
    3 Wasteland
    3 Savannah
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    4 Horizon Canopy
    1 Maze of Ith

15 //Sideboard:

3 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Null Rod
    2 Choke
    2 Krosan Grip
    1 Vexing Shusher
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Path to Exile

So, that should be about 59 + 15 cards, if the numbers are off something's missing or there's too much of something. Anyways, I'm trying to think about whether should I play Edric or not. Have any thoughts or advice about him? Haven't had the time to test him at all and would appreciate if you could chip in. I'm also thinking about whether to add Mirran Crusader or not, he just can be such a hit and miss for most of the time.

The one remaining spot is a fight between Karakas, Elspeth, Edric, Tarmogoyf, Qasali Pridemage, mystery equipment X, Sylvan Library, Kitchen Finks and Rhox War Monk.
    Last edited by Machahiko; 06-29-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: formatting the text better for more pleasant extreme exploding avalanche of reading expirience

May 2011
    NRW, Germany

@Machahiko

First off, 20 Lands plus a Maze seem to be not enough, you should atleast add a Karakas for obvious reasons. This deck wants every mana it can possibly get and with only 1 Ranger you dont want to miss landdrops in the early game.

About Dryad Arbor. Why dont you play him? This is the first deck posted in this thread which refuses to play him. Consider to test him. If you already did, you might give us some feedback.
    Of course he can screw some openers from time to time, but tutoring for ramp which can also stop first turn lackey and carry equipment sounds nice to me and imho this is proven.

Sword of Body and Mind over Batterskull must be a metachoice, as so much Jace protection looks like an overkill plus the massive amount of control hate in your SB and a MD Thrun on top of that.

Loves Witchcraft. <3
    Oct 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Bzka View Post
    @Machahiko

First off, 20 Lands plus a Maze seem to be not enough, you should atleast add a Karakas for obvious reasons. This deck wants every mana it can possibly get and with only 1 Ranger you dont want to miss landdrops in the early game.

About Dryad Arbor. Why dont you play him? This is the first deck posted in this thread which refuses to play him. Consider to test him. If you already did, you might give us some feedback.
    Of course he can screw some openers from time to time, but tutoring for ramp which can also stop first turn lackey and carry equipment sounds nice to me and imho this is proven.

Sword of Body and Mind over Batterskull must be a metachoice, as so much Jace protection looks like an overkill plus the massive amount of control hate in your SB and a MD Thrun on top of that.
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I was sure that I had missed something when doing this decklist and it actually was Dryad Arbor. It's already in my deck but for some reason I just completely missed it and didn't write it down. I'm 100% on dryad arbor, it's an auto include which I just missed.

Regarding Sword of Body and Mind and Batterskull: I've had this fight going on about whether to play Body of Mind or Light and Shadow, and I can't really come up with anything to say about this. It's a constant back and forth which sword to play and I've come to same conclusion about swords with ivanpei (he has a thread about SFM equipment in Format & Article discussion, great read). The only thing that would make me want to change body and mind away is the overlapping protection from blue. Having 2 swords for 4 colors to protect could be worth playing a bit worse sword.

Batterskull, oh how do I hate thee. My personal opinion is that I don't really like the card and I think it doesn't even fit so well into the deck.

Thank you for your input, I have to keep on thinking about my sideboard if there's something that I have missed.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

While in my testing I found Maze of Ith to be irrelevant, I did end up losing two matches where it would have played an integral part of winning. I lost two matches to a SoBM when I failed to draw GSZ/STP/QPM or a white creature. Once against UW StoneBlade, and again against Zoo.

I may consider putting Maze in the SB again, because it felt like a sting to run so cold against these two matches.

Overall, I felt it was unneeded in the maindeck.

tl;dr: Maze of Ith is good against Equipment.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    @IBA: There is no need for a philiosphocal discussion. Your post was flat out awful.
    You seem curiously obsessed with this point. Almost as if you need it to be true and need others to confirm this.

You are of course free to think as you like, I just think it's an interesting preoccupation.

It had two short statements that were inflated with vulgarities and condescension. I made these statements Italic and bold for you. If you find any more actual content in your jabbering feel free to inform me.
    There were a number of points in my posts, but of course you know this, and this is again part of an attempt to marginalize what you must see as a threat to some concept you find important.

Statement one was "everybody who doesn't play multiple Tarmogoyfs, Elspeths and Sylvan Libraries is wrong".
    That is not what I said.

The second statement was "Maverick is an archetype and not a deck because it has no core except for Lands, GSZ, KotR, SFM and StoP", supported by a short statistic about the last ten Maverick decks on TCD that shows that these decks only have 33 cards in common.
    Legacy manabases all look pretty much the same, and the remaining cards except for GSZ were entirely ubiquitous to the format. I think it's fair to ask what separates the deck from Zoo or Junk or Bant besides not wanting to splash the third color.

However, I accept that you consider this an unreliable litmus test.

On top of that in a deck with usually 12 tutors the Tutor targets obviously vary without changing anything about the functionality or strategy of the deck.
    Well, first of all, the deck does not usually have 12 tutors. In fact I didn't see any lists running 4 SFM, 4 Knight and 4 GSZ of the ten. So I don't even know what you're basing that on.

Secondly, Knight and Stoneforge are ubiquitous, so arguing that running those cards and any of a changing rotation of targets leaves the core intact seems hopeless to me.

Thirdly I have no idea why you think the actual nature of the targets you can grab doesn't change the functionality of the deck. This seems like a prima facie absurd argument. Of course it matters what you actually tutor for, that's the entire point of the tutors in the first place.

Morte has listed a core of this deck here http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post561942 but reading the thread before posting was too much to ask for.
    I obviously did read the thread, that was the point of saying that I was basing my post on what actually posted results (although not weighted, granted, for tournament size), not on some gut feeling.

Partisanship towards a deck doesn't actually qualify one to speak of it with more authority. The opposite if anything. There are clearly quite a lot of courtiers in this thread that are very upset that I don't appreciate the subtleties to the emperor's new wardrobe.

A vast majority of the decks on TCG will not vary from that 48 card core by more than 2 cards.
    Well let's look again.

You said,

the Goyf statement pretty much says that the last 40+guys (no time to check every single list) who top8ed with Maverick are idiots. Have your opinion, but try to respect other people's test results and tournament success over your own theory.
    I'll ignore the ironies that abound here for a moment and simply take your number, which you have "no time to check."

Of the past 40 listed decks, this would be the average decklist:

3.85 Noble Hierarch
    3.325 Mother of Runes
    0.5 Birds of Paradise
    0.275 Quirion Ranger
    2.675 Stoneforge Mystic
    2.55 Qasali Pridemage
    1.325 Scryb Ranger
    0.775 Tarmogoyf
    0.5 Gaddock Teeg
    0.35 Fauna Shaman
    0.075 Scavenging Ooze
    3.775 Knight of the Reliquary
    1.225 Aven Mindcensor
    0.8 Eternal Witness
    0.575 Terravore
    0.375 Mirran Crusader
    0.15 Rhox War Monk
    0.05 Kitchen Finks
    0.05 Mangara of Corondor
    0.025 Edric, Spymaster of Trest
    0.025 Phyrexian Metamorph
    0.575 Thrun, the Last Troll
    0.25 Rafiq of the Many
    0.15 Vengevine
    0.025 Baneslayer Angel
    0.025 Primeval Titan

0.05 Loyal Retainers
    0.05 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    0.625 Natural Order
    0.2 Progenitus

0.375 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    0.05 Garruk Wildspeaker

3.975 Swords to Plowshares
    3.65 Green Sun's Zenith
    0.4 Mental Misstep
    0.4 Aether Vial
    0.075 Brainstorm
    0.075 Spell Pierce
    0.025 Path to Exile
    0.925 Sylvan Library
    0.075 Oblivion Ring
    0.05 Beast Within
    0.025 Scrounge (?)

1.125 Umezawa's Jitte
    0.55 Sword of Fire and Ice
    0.475 Sword of Light and Shadow
    0.45 Batterskull
    0.4 Sword of Feast and Famine
    0.05 Sword of Body and Mind
    0.025 Sword of War and Peace

3.95 Windswept Heath
    3.65 Savannah
    3.3 Wasteland
    2.225 Horizon Canopy
    1.975 Forest
    1.3 Plains
    1.15 Dryad Arbor
    0.95 Karakas
    0.875 Misty Rainforest
    0.625 Wooded Foothills
    0.6 Gaea's Cradle
    0.55 Maze of Ith
    0.25 Tropical Island
    0.25 Verdant Catacombs
    0.1 Temple Garden
    0.05 Bojuka Bog
    0.05 Flooded Strand
    0.05 Marsh Flats
    0.025 Yavimaya Hollow
    0.025 Kor Haven
    0.025 Petrified Field
    0.025 Sejiri Steppe
    0.025 Stirring Wildwood

Or rounding:

4 Noble Hierarch
    3 Mother of Runes
    1 Birds of Paradise
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Aven Mindcensor
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Terravore
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll

4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 other equipment

4 Windswept Heath
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Wooded Foothills
    4 Savannah
    3 Wasteland
    2 Horizon Canopy
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Karakas
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Other fetchland or random utility land

Some interesting notes here; Italians are fucking in love with Aven Mindcensor, and Germans but nobody else really love the package of Jitte/Batterskull/SoFF, with the latter two seeing almost no play without each other for some reason. Most others seem to be opting for the "old school" suite of SoLS + SoFI + Jitte.

Anyway, based on this number crunching I am forced to conclude that I was wrong. There is in fact a deck, given some not-too-unusual-for-Legacy amount of (largely regional) variation, in Europe that has a coherent core and can be referred to as "Maverick." However, in light of this the thread and opening post should be cleaned up as they are totally inaccurate, and many people seem to be trying to co-opt the success of a fairly narrow core to primp out their own variations like the Death and Taxes shell, which has simply not put up any relevant numbers.

Or put another way, there is a deck called Maverick that has earned a spot in the DTB section based on a string of performances in Europe, and there is an archetype of the same name, and the confusion between the two needs sorting out.

I think I'll have to put together a list and test it out against the East Coast meta, because the core of what people are actually playing looks mainly really good except for the points I already mentioned about how Scryb Ranger is terrible and 2x Library should be mandatory (which is one thing the Germans mostly seem to be doing right). The Hatfields were working for quite a while on a similar list also so maybe they have some good ideas.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Managed to find time for a daily at last. The only form of legacy play I'm able to get these days it seems..
    4-0'd, as I usually do with my gw build. Just felt like dropping by and giving my opinion on some of the more contradictory card choices.
    ( the list, if you're interested is here: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital.../tourn/2512262 )

1) sylvan library: imo has no place in the deck. Tested it as a one or two of for some months, gave up when I finally realized there is never a good time to drop it. You want to deploy dudes on the early turns, and later on you'd just rather draw a dude than a card that eventually will find you one. Sure, it's good in attrition wars, but this deck outperforms the competition in those anyways..

2) aven mindcensor: my newfound love. I play mirrans for long, but those are no longer the "tech" imo. BUG decks are not that popular anymore, and avens help in the mu's where the rest of the deck is weaker. I feel like they balance the deck out very nicely, but that is a flex slot obv.

3) tarmogoyf: Raw power is nice to have when all your cute trickery stuff gets counterred, killed or kidnapped. I admit, he is not as strong as he used to be, but he does carry his weight very easily still. Good against control decks, merfolk decks, goblin decks, tarmogoyf decks.. Also fits the curve very nicely.

4) X ranger: I tried, i swear i tried. I never got to do any sweet stuff with these, as I'd just rather have a real creature when I GSZ, and when I drew them they were just plain embarrassing. You want to play them, sure. I'll just keep on reading that as "+1 tarmogoyf" in decklists packing them.

5) Elspeth: this one was really good, but not needed. Always considering these when I make changes but they never quite make it.

6) Batterskull: not needed in the md, but imo sb worthy at the very least. Against some decks this is your main game plan, and it does really shine against other attrition based board control strategies.

7) Gaeas Cradle: I cut a spell to make room for this, as I saw it as a combo with batterskull. It is more than that. Sometimes you have a KOTR out and you just find this and go nuts and they never saw it coming. Been really, really impressed by this one and I feel like one of those people from advertisements when I just want to smile and say "I don't know how I managed without it".

8) Sword of Feast and Famine: best in the mu's where you need the extra help. Also the discard effect keeps on getting people, for some reason they don't see it coming from GW beats. Relevant prots, relevant abilities. I like it.

9)3 pridemage: I'd love 4, but the 3-3 split between tarmo and him is because I have a 62 card md atm, and I solved that by cutting 2 cards I know I want 4 of, but that I know I don't need 4 of. Not the smartest thing if you want to win one tournament, but most helpful in finding the actually correct cuts for the longer run.

I'd love to contribute more to this thread now that one exists and I no longer have to develop this on my own, but I do not only have very limited time these days, but I keep getting the feeling people try to take this deck in an entirely wrong direction and therefore misevaluate card choices. Might be me also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Race War View Post
    <Carnage> fuck idiot learn education

The one and only Incurable Ham
    Apr 2010
    Columbus, OH

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Anyway, based on this number crunching I am forced to conclude that I was wrong. There is in fact a deck, given some not-too-unusual-for-Legacy amount of (largely regional) variation, in Europe that has a coherent core and can be referred to as "Maverick." However, in light of this the thread and opening post should be cleaned up as they are totally inaccurate, and many people seem to be trying to co-opt the success of a fairly narrow core to primp out their own variations like the Death and Taxes shell, which has simply not put up any relevant numbers.

Or put another way, there is a deck called Maverick that has earned a spot in the DTB section based on a string of performances in Europe, and there is an archetype of the same name, and the confusion between the two needs sorting out.
    Thanks a lot for this post, it honestly makes you much more credible. And I agree that the opening post could use an update. It could show the original "Maverick" list (the deck's history) that M@averick posted along with how it changed to the core that you yourself showed with statistics. It could also talk about some of the possible cards that can be used in the many flex-spots that the deck has.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

I will fix it in first post of primer.

Edit: Update, thank you guys for your data.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Just top4ed on Polish Championships and split.

2 Mavericks in top8. I'm too tired to write up more, tomorrow i will write a little more.

Won Rievised boosters one opened with Tropical Island..

Dec 2010
    SO Cal

I hate being an idiot but what does ATB mean?
    I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Good- is the official slogan of We Love TED

65/80

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

"Archetype to beat"

We're just better than everyone, because Archetype is more cool sounding than Deck. Or something like that...
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Dec 2010
    SO Cal

ahh thanks ye was looking at last months meta at TC and maverick was running 3rd first was Zoo then merfolk
    I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Good- is the official slogan of We Love TED

65/80

The one and only Incurable Ham
    Apr 2010
    Columbus, OH

Congrats on the finish, Fatal. Would you be able to post the deck that you played when you get a chance?

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Ok quick report (tomorrow next tournament) there is actually Nationals in our country so don't have a lot of time to write.

List:

//Main
    4 Noble Hierarch
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Scryb Ranger
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Eternal Witness
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Horizon Canopy
    4 Savannah
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Karakas
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Terravore
    3 Mental Misstep
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Aven Mindcensor
    1 Rafiq of the Many
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    2 Tarmogoyf
    2 Misty Rainforest

//SB(15):
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Choke
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Krosan Grip
    2 Wing Shards
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Life from the Loam
    1 Serenity
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Meta - decks which i remember:
    3 Maverick
    2 No-FoW Bant
    Enchantresska
    Sneak
    Claw-blade
    Team America
    TES
    BUG Jace Control
    Affinity
    Aggro Loam RGb
    Drake Fish U/w
    Junk
    NO RUG

And a lot more of which i don't remember

Round 1 - Claw-Blade U/w 2-0

MVP - Scryb Ranger and SoLS both games they won me the game.

Game 1:
    Opponent starts from Visions, then counter few things and stp like KotRs/Goyfs/Hierarchs, then GSZ for 2, mana exeleration and SFM resolve. I equip next turn Scryb Ranger with SoLS then I have way to victory protected from all stuff whan he could stop me, bloking Batterskull, killing Jaces and swinging..

Side in:
    2 Choke, Krosan Grip, 2 Wing Shards

Side out:
    Scavenging Ooze, Batterskull, Rafiq of the Many, Mental Misstep, Terravore - suspect GY hate after side, like relic

Game 2 was much faster, just fast KotR resolve, with Scryb on hand, them waste, waste, and second KotR - GG without any sb cards.

Round 2 - Merfolks - that will be shame - 1-2

Game 1:
    He had stifles, which I met in first game vs my wasteland on his mutavault. Again I won with Scryb Ranger in the skies blocking and attacking on tripple exalted.

Side in:
    2 Chokes, 2 Wing Shards, SoFI

Side out:
    Scavenging Ooze, Rafiq of the Many, Terravore, SoLS, 1 Aven Mindcensor

Game 2:
    This time my opponent have porno draws, counter everything and pushing me with Jiite on Cursecatcher - I drew 4 stp, and return one from Eternal Witness so 5 stp.. but couldn't handle with Silvergill Adept advantage.. I didn't draw any creatures and GSZ expect Hierarchs and Witness, I finally stopped him with maze, but wasteland end the game.

Game 3:
    This time I had advantage drawing Jitte on start which resolve, pushing with Hierarch then, With Arbor after he Chumped with Mutavaults, and few dudes. Couldn't drew any creatures, finally I drew batterskull which was really tap me out to cast - then he just play threads of disloyalty on token and swinging, I requip to kill 4/4 lifelinker on hierarch, then Sower, I kill it with Jitte, then next threads of disloyalty kill me - no other dudes comes to my hand - that was really bad draws with nuts opposite.

Round 3 - Junk

Game 1
    First game was tide after all Ooze here was MVP cleaning the graveyard, punishing 2 Goyfs and KotR on opponent side.

Side in:
    Bojuka Bog, 2 Wing Shards

Side out:
    1 Scryb Ranger, 1 Maze of Ith, 1 Rafiq of the Many

Game 2

Opponent lose to his deck - Wasteland on his colored mana, then Goyf, he hymn me and that was gg after second wasteland.

Round 4:
    Drake Fish U/w with SFM and snap/gilded drakes

Game 1:
    Again Scryb was MVP here, also with Rafiq which gives ultimate tempo and dodge Spellshutters Sprites.

Side in: 2 Chokes, 1 Krosan Grip, SoFI
    Side out: 1 Scavenging Ooze, Batterskull, 1 Terravore, 1 Eternal Witness - last one was wrong.

Game 2:
    I opened with really good controlish hand, with Wing Shards, StP, 1 hierarch, Krosan Grip, Mental Misstep, 2 lands. I played controlish and allow my opponent to fetch jitte, few fearies, then make my tricks drawing nuts from the top - GSZ and SFM. I blow up jitte at the end of turn, and try to StP mystic at the and also he MM, I MM, he fowed and have no cards in hand. Then I played my SFM and fetching Jitte, he draw mystic and play own jitte to blow up mine. Then I zenith for 3 for Eternal Witness which was missing ... I found Scryb, then draw an other mystic and make job with SoLS and game was ended fast.

Again MVP was Scryb with SoLS - after this match all tournament know that Scryb with SoLS on it is more dangerous than Choke having only Islands..

Round 5: ID - with Sneak my friend Puchat.

We goes for dinner before top8 and wanted to split out all top8 - Revised boosters waiting, it was about 8 p.m. Unfortunately one guy doesn't agree and we played..

Quater-finals - Sneak :(

This MU isn't good - specially that:
    When opponent play S&T and we put Metamorph to face emrakul/progenitus - Metamorph dies as 0/0 creature because he can't copy creature putted in the same time to play via S&T - lvl 4 judge confirm that so game gonna be harder than i suspect.

My only chance will be bad opponent hand, and countering cantrips with MM, fast clock, and mana screw due to wastelands, Censors.

Game 1: - My opponent doesn't have to good hand he cast sneak after 2 wastelands being on 5 life and Goyf + Scryb was in play - 7 pernaments.. he swing and died to goyf.

Side in:
    Phyrexian Metamorph,2 Wing Shards, Gaddock Teeg, 2 Choke, E.Tutor (forgot about serenity which would also help - which I found after 3 next games in freeplay)

Side out: 4 StP, Scavenging Ooze, 1 Umezawa's Jitte, Batterskull (last one also could be mistake).

Game 2: After MM cantrip, he cantrip again, then S&T Hydra into play. I had Goyf and hierarch, putting SFM and fetching... SoLS which won me this race :) Swinging without block to hydra and putting my life upper than 20 mean GG. He attack then firespout my smaller dudes - I swing and puting back Hierarch for lethal :).

After 4 free play games it was 3-3.

Semi-finals: Clawblade U/W it was 9 p.m and was really tired after 11 hours playing/trading.

We was talking about split but there was 18 boosters from Revised to we played for one booster more, before play we probably made one of the craziest thing and open booster on which we was playing.. and... Tropical Island booster Mint ;P before we decide what's next, 3 guys offer us to buy it. We sell it and playing for cash.

Game 1:

He won the roll, suspend Visions and go. I fetch, hierarch, go. He draw, land drop go. Then KotR -> brainstorm -> resolve, then again in next round, KotR, Brainstorm.. resolve :) Also Terravore resolve before Visions.. Which was 16/16.. 2 Milling KotRs in play. Then he StP Vore and Jace bounce the KotR, Swing KotR.. SFM gg

Game 2:
    This one was so long that only one judge stays on whole event. I killed 3 Jaces, 4 SFM, one Batterskull, survive 4 StP, 4 FoWs.. and died to Clique and last Jace with Crucible/Mishra chump block - opponent was at 7 (about 20 cards left in opponent library) I didn't drew any flyer expect Fetched Scryb which died to StP->MM->MM.

After game this game opponent suggest split that cash -> I agree, being exhausted.

I after second game I realize that I should board in goddeck teeg vs Jaces/repeal.

Final result: 4-1-2
    Looks like not short report ^^.

Nuts for the end:
    Last edited by Fatal; 07-02-2011 at 07:08 AM.

Thread Information