Page 227 of 428 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237277327 ... LastLast
Results 4,521 to 4,540 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by conley1000000 View Post
    And as far as the "X-Tutor" card discussion I use to be back and forth on at least E-Tutor. I've never thought about running Worldy Tutor but the only creatures I can't GSZ for I run in multiples and would expect to see them a fair amount. The thing that gets me with them is losing a card and basically a draw step. The target going to the top of your library doesnt help you on a t2 show and tell(them on the play). Id just rather run more of the card I know I need in bad matchups, and tune my board to very specific matchups. The reason I quit looking at Tutor boards is I felt I was spreading myself too thin. Wanting game against every match up possible. Quickly I realized that didnt work well for me so I started singling out the 5-6 most popular/successful decks and went to work on my board to specifically hit those types of decks in a way that complimented my main, not having to directly rely on my sb.
    T2 S&T on the play is problematic in general, but then again, KotR/Karakas is a hard counter as long as it's a creature and we run multiple copies.

@oSeabass: Fauna Shaman seems insanely slow to get what you want, especially when you GSZ for it.

I'll do some research if there are enough valuable targets to make a W-Tutor board feasible. It just popped up in my mind that W-Tutor can grab a Mirran Crusader which is a great card against BUG since they lack the means to deal with it, planeswalkers and Whipflare aside.

@Telkku: Bob is pretty decent, but one problem I noticed is that black mana in the early game is premium and you can't always cast him when you want to. Sunyveil commented on his stream on the same problem.

I like my Batterskull, but I can also see where you're coming from. SFM is often dealt with and then you sit there with a dead card in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    T2 S&T on the play is problematic in general, but then again, KotR/Karakas is a hard counter as long as it's a creature and we run multiple copies.

@oSeabass: Fauna Shaman seems insanely slow to get what you want, especially when you GSZ for it.

I'll do some research if there are enough valuable targets to make a W-Tutor board feasible. It just popped up in my mind that W-Tutor can grab a Mirran Crusader which is a great card against BUG since they lack the means to deal with it, planeswalkers and Whipflare aside.

@Telkku: Bob is pretty decent, but one problem I noticed is that black mana in the early game is premium and you can't always cast him when you want to. Sunyveil commented on his stream on the same problem.

I like my Batterskull, but I can also see where you're coming from. SFM is often dealt with and then you sit there with a dead card in hand.

I have to check this Sunyveils stream that you keep talking about :D I guess it depends on your mana base etc. but i have never had a problem casting him on turn 2 if ive had him in my hand. Except in situations i wanted to play something else. And it is the best black creature ever printed ( with griselbrand ) so decent is and understatement, it wins you games. Not only in our deck but in many other decks too, take the last weeks SCG Cin.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Telkku View Post
    I have to check this Sunyveils stream that you keep talking about :D I guess it depends on your mana base etc. but i have never had a problem casting him on turn 2 if ive had him in my hand. Except in situations i wanted to play something else. And it is the best black creature ever printed ( with griselbrand ) so decent is and understatement, it wins you games. Not only in our deck but in many other decks too, take the last weeks SCG Cin.
    Sure thing:

http://www.twitch.tv/Sunyveil

He mentioned it briefly when it came up in one of his games in the video of the latest Daily Event, around 11:40.

I'm testing with Sunyveil's manabase since I like the mana fixing in it alot more and even then, the problem comes up sometimes. Nevertheless, Bob is probably worth it despite this issue.

What do you guys think about a 1 or 2-of Zealous Persecution in the SB? Obviously SB space for this deck is at a premium but there are plenty of situations where it could be an all-star. Elves, D&T, goblins, and the mirror are all times I'd love to have access to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bumgun View Post
    What do you guys think about a 1 or 2-of Zealous Persecution in the SB? Obviously SB space for this deck is at a premium but there are plenty of situations where it could be an all-star. Elves, D&T, goblins, and the mirror are all times I'd love to have access to it.
    I will give it a try, i know my friend plays it on hes SB in " Rock " . And when i play vs him i tend to side out Mom's cause its just not worth to get blown out by it. So ye its good, but im still more worried about other decks, basic fair decks we should beat without relying too much on SB.

Mar 2011
    Tipp City, Ohio

Wouldn't EE be better to cast on those situations? Maybe not as good vs goblins but seems good in the aspects.

Mar 2007

Persecution is good, but drawing it without sufficient numbers or tutors is kind of iffy. E-Plague can be tutored for and does a pretty nice job as well.

@conley1000000: EE might work (especially since you can tutor for it), but e.g. for Elves, it kinda clashes with Teeg - and you want Teeg to block any GSZ/NO shenanigans right of the bat.

Have been using 2 in my sideboard for some time, and I have been very happy with them. Broke numerous amounts of goblins and DnTs with it, usually a total all star.

jtw11632 on MTGO

Aug 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    After seeing a player at my LGS playing Mirran Crusader in Maverick, I kinda fell in love with the idea. Being able to literally blank BUG's entire creature base is really nice. Put a Sword of Fire & Ice on him, and he demolishes. Or for fun, put a Jitte on him and have fun pumping him in the normal damage part of combat, after he deals first strike and puts counters on Jitte.

I have really wanted to be able to find a place for him in my 75, if not in the main deck at least a spot or two in the board. But then again, turn 2 Hymn seems good against him still in hand where as the tech of Wilt-Leaf Liege and Obstinate Baloth seem better against discard.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

That new monster watchwolf guy seems pretty cool, sadly not better than anything we currently run though. Seems like a slightly worse thrun.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    That new monster watchwolf guy seems pretty cool, sadly not better than anything we currently run though. Seems like a slightly worse thrun.
    Watchwolf 2.0 doesn't have a place in Maverick since he's a pure vanilla beater most of the time. Goyf performs significantly better at the same cost and we don't even run that because it's vanilla and has no utility.

Jul 2013
    Orlando fl

With all the removal and combo decks out there now. Is Sylvan Safekeeper a card
    to add ? VS combo he easier protects Teeg and Thalia better then mom. It can

also protect against Karakas. Thoughts?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by AlbyLegacy View Post

Better vs Miracles with Teeg than vs ANT, but the application is the same.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Jul 2013
    Orlando fl

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Better vs Miracles with Teeg than vs ANT, but the application is the same.
    Would you say he deserves a spot in the main?

For dark maverick, has anyone tried including unearth on your 75?
    Also, any thoughts in adding tidehallow sculler?

Quote Originally Posted by AlbyLegacy View Post

after having cut one mom for a safekeeper, i don't think I am ever going back to 4 mom - 0 safekeeper. He has saved me in too many situations, including but not limited to alpha strike knight, price of progress trump, tutorable creature protector, anti-karakas/jitte tactics. Only downside is that in the first turns he is somewhat useless (you don't really want to sacrifice lands at that point). Aside from that, he is that good, IMO.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by ThediscoPower View Post
    after having cut one mom for a safekeeper, i don't think I am ever going back to 4 mom - 0 safekeeper. He has saved me in too many situations, including but not limited to alpha strike knight, price of progress trump, tutorable creature protector, anti-karakas/jitte tactics. Only downside is that in the first turns he is somewhat useless (you don't really want to sacrifice lands at that point). Aside from that, he is that good, IMO.
    I certainly won't go below 4 Moms. I've played Safekeeper before, but he's pretty situational in my books.

Quote Originally Posted by diakocjay View Post
    For dark maverick, has anyone tried including unearth on your 75?
    Also, any thoughts in adding tidehallow sculler?
    Why would you run Unearth? We have no natural means to get creatures in the GY. If anything I would rather run Reanimate to steal my opponent's cheap beaters, if anything. And considering how wide-spread DRS is, even that ist questionable.

Tidehallow Sculler has a stupid mana cost for this deck. Bob can already be problematic and Sculler is even worse.

If you wanna add Sylvan Safekeeper you NEVER cut Mom, you cut something else. And im with Barook on this, i tested and felt the same, its not as good as mom and we need those lands to search wastes with knight, etc. Mom + Scryb is just way too good, its the " if you dont have mass removal i won the game ".

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Mostly I disagree - Mom are great, so do Sylvan Safekeeper - that is sure - but playing in multiple more than 4 you going on risky path of overextended to a sweeper, and decrease real thread like KotR/SFM->Equip/GSZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    Mostly I disagree - Mom are great, so do Sylvan Safekeeper - that is sure - but playing in multiple more than 4 you going on risky path of overextended to a sweeper, and decrease real thread like KotR/SFM->Equip/GSZ.
    Well i would never ever cut Mom or for that matter add sylvan safekeeper, but everyone has their style, and for me this decicion is very easy to make cause of extensive testing, and the results of it. Only good thing is that you can GSZ it but otherwise it is quite bad. Every time its on your opening hand your gonna regret that you have it in your deck. Turn 1 Mom makes the opponent use their removal, if they dont have it, situation is quite promising. If they do remove it, it means they likely dont have another for turn 2 Bob and this means again that you are in a good shape. This in not what happens with sylvan safekeeper, you.cant.sac.land.on.turn.2.period.

Thread Information