Page 228 of 428 FirstFirst ... 128178218224225226227228229230231232238278328 ... LastLast
Results 4,541 to 4,560 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Jul 2013
    Orlando fl

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by ThediscoPower View Post
    after having cut one mom for a safekeeper, i don't think I am ever going back to 4 mom - 0 safekeeper. He has saved me in too many situations, including but not limited to alpha strike knight, price of progress trump, tutorable creature protector, anti-karakas/jitte tactics. Only downside is that in the first turns he is somewhat useless (you don't really want to sacrifice lands at that point). Aside from that, he is that good, IMO.

Sweet. I also been playing one. He was insane vs BUG, Junk,and Burn
    I like him a lot.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Just noticed connley's list only has 3 Thalia but also 3 SFM. Seems this could easily swing towards Thalia in combo heavy metagames where having the best chance for Thalia is important. That's how I'm running my take on his list. Looking forward to jam some games soon with it too!
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

To be honest, you guys are overreacting a bit here. To be perfectly clear on this, the reason I am splitting between mom and safekeeper is because I want 4 defensive creatures, not 5, that I found somewhat overkill for me.

Now to respond to all that was written in a general way, you don't think cutting mom is right? it's normal and very understandable. However, from what I saw, it wasn't as bad as you guys make it out to be, and 90% of the time, he protects your creatures just as well, if not better. He has added bonuses (that you did a pretty good job of ignoring), but also has his drawbacks (that you did a much better job noting extensively). Now, if you tested 'extensively'' and hated it, it's ok, I am not trying to push it on you. However I will affirm that I also tested ''extensively'', and came to the conclusion that I am never playing this deck without him, and he was far from being just situational (a statement that I still can't fully comprehend, to be perfectly honnest). So far, he hasn't failed me. From there, when I did say that it he is bad in the starting turns of the game, saying that you NEVER want to sac a land on turn 2 is wrong, and I can find you situations (an actual lot of them, against many decks at that) where sac a land on turn 2 is actually legit. Now yes, it's a land that can never be used by knight (if it actually was a plains or a forest, to boot), however I simply treat that new situation as a change of plan, where I use my lands as a way to protect my board presence and force a giant beatstick on my opponnent, and that's only in the early game, mind you, because when you have enough lands, you can be wastelanding and protecting your key creatures easily.

Anyways, take it or ditch it. your choice.

Jul 2013
    Orlando fl

Quote Originally Posted by ThediscoPower View Post
    To be honest, you guys are overreacting a bit here. To be perfectly clear on this, the reason I am splitting between mom and safekeeper is because I want 4 defensive creatures, not 5, that I found somewhat overkill for me.

Now to respond to all that was written in a general way, you don't think cutting mom is right? it's normal and very understandable. However, from what I saw, it wasn't as bad as you guys make it out to be, and 90% of the time, he protects your creatures just as well, if not better. He has added bonuses (that you did a pretty good job of ignoring), but also has his drawbacks (that you did a much better job noting extensively). Now, if you tested 'extensively'' and hated it, it's ok, I am not trying to push it on you. However I will affirm that I also tested ''extensively'', and came to the conclusion that I am never playing this deck without him, and he was far from being just situational (a statement that I still can't fully comprehend, to be perfectly honnest). So far, he hasn't failed me. From there, when I did say that it he is bad in the starting turns of the game, saying that you NEVER want to sac a land on turn 2 is wrong, and I can find you situations (an actual lot of them, against many decks at that) where sac a land on turn 2 is actually legit. Now yes, it's a land that can never be used by knight (if it actually was a plains or a forest, to boot), however I simply treat that new situation as a change of plan, where I use my lands as a way to protect my board presence and force a giant beatstick on my opponnent, and that's only in the early game, mind you, because when you have enough lands, you can be wastelanding and protecting your key creatures easily.

Anyways, take it or ditch it. your choice.
    I agree. I won games with my opponent having 6-7 cards they can't play because of him. In addition you can aggressively use mother to get in damange with a huge knights.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Just noticed connley's list only has 3 Thalia but also 3 SFM. Seems this could easily swing towards Thalia in combo heavy metagames where having the best chance for Thalia is important. That's how I'm running my take on his list. Looking forward to jam some games soon with it too!
    If the metagame is combo-heavy (like the MODO metagame), I would rather run a second Teeg before a 4th Thalia.

Sure, sometimes he's just a bear that blocks your GSZ, but dead Thalias in your hand aren't that stellar either, but more often than not, he can completely shut down their win conditions and/or engine cards.

Do you run Thrun as well? If you do, please report back on the results because I'm interested.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    If the metagame is combo-heavy (like the MODO metagame), I would rather run a second Teeg before a 4th Thalia.

Sure, sometimes he's just a bear that blocks your GSZ, but dead Thalias in your hand aren't that stellar either, but more often than not, he can completely shut down their win conditions and/or engine cards.

Do you run Thrun as well? If you do, please report back on the results because I'm interested.
    I would strongly consider both 4th Thalia and the 2nd Teeg in that case. Thalia is simply too strong of a hate bear to chance it on the three maindeck.

Taking conley's list, I cut Thrun to the SB as the list was 61 cards. While I've been vocal about running 61 cards in the past, I don't think it makes sense in this metagame anymore. Additionally, I've always considered Maze of Ith as the 61st card. Thrun, while good vs Jund and Control, doesn't really do enough against Tempo or Blood Moon decks to warrant maindeck inclusion. We already have a planeswalker main and side to handle that situation.

BTW, I'm running Sorin, Lord of Innistrad in Elspeth's place in the maindeck. He is still a token factory, but the -2 pump ability is quite useful vs Mid-range decks as well. His ultimate is much easier to fire and just as good vs Jace too. This is a new addition that could not have been possible in the GW stock lists.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Mar 2007

BTW, I'm running Sorin, Lord of Innistrad in Elspeth's place in the maindeck. He is still a token factory, but the -2 pump ability is quite useful vs Mid-range decks as well. His ultimate is much easier to fire and just as good vs Jace too. This is a new addition that could not have been possible in the GW stock lists.
    Sorin sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if his -2 is better than jumping fat Knights right in the kisser.

If you run 4 Thalias/2 Teegs MD, then MD Planeswalkers become a way worse option since you're often unable to play with them.

I would also love to see a list heavy on Exalted/equipment utilizing Mirran Crusaders that actually works, but KotR is a strong contender in the 3 CC slot.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Sorin sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if his -2 is better than jumping fat Knights right in the kisser.
    Elspeth's pump works well when you're able to keep threats on board. Sorin's pump is indisruptible; once you activate it, it sticks until the end of game. This matters when you can't get Mom active vs say, Jund, and they have removal in response to Elspeth +1 jump. Both Sorin and Elspeth are solid in that case. Sorin token's life-link is probably more useful in Mid-range too. Lastly, anti-white (Dread of Night, Sulfur Elemental) do not effect Sorin tokens.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=5562

i guess straight GW still has it. Congrats!!

Mar 2007

Elspeth's pump works well when you're able to keep threats on board. Sorin's pump is indisruptible; once you activate it, it sticks until the end of game. This matters when you can't get Mom active vs say, Jund, and they have removal in response to Elspeth +1 jump. Both Sorin and Elspeth are solid in that case. Sorin token's life-link is probably more useful in Mid-range too. Lastly, anti-white (Dread of Night, Sulfur Elemental) do not effect Sorin tokens.
    Fair enough. Report back on the results.

Quote Originally Posted by diakocjay View Post
    http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=5562

i guess straight GW still has it. Congrats!!
    Nobody said GW is bad, it's just that combo decks tend to gib you on T2 when they're on the play before you can get your hate bears online. If your meta is low on combo and/or you're lucky, then of course GW works pretty well. The black splash addresses the issue of lacking T1 disruption. The other way to adress this - playing further accel to power out T1 hatebears - seems rather impractical.

going to a tournament this sunday, will be playing dark maverick w/ confidants. I'm rusty though as I havent been playing much legacy latley. And I don't really have anyone to play with here, so basically the only preperation i've done is watchin all of sunyveils games

will make a report after

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by litenkatt View Post
    going to a tournament this sunday, will be playing dark maverick w/ confidants. I'm rusty though as I havent been playing much legacy latley. And I don't really have anyone to play with here, so basically the only preperation i've done is watchin all of sunyveils games

will make a report after
    Why don't you throw the deck together on Cockatrice and play some games? Even with all the idiots online - some practice is better than no practice.

Why don't you throw the deck together on Cockatrice and play some games? Even with all the idiots online - some practice is better than no practice.
    Dont know how to use cockatrice really... but could maybe try later

Quote Originally Posted by litenkatt View Post
    Dont know how to use cockatrice really... but could maybe try later
    You could try to play with forge. The IA isn't the best, but at least the rules are well implemented so you can play without too much trouble

What do you guys think of Captain Sisay?

Captain Sisay 2WG
    Legendary Creature - Human Soldier
    Tap: Search your library for a legendary card, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
    2/2

Captain Sisay can tutor up Umezawa's Jitte, Karakas, Gaea's Cradle, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Gaddock Teeg, Linvala Keeper of Silence, Thrun the Last Troll, Sigarda Host of Herons, ect. Seems really good in grindy matches against decks like BUG and Deathblade. dodges Abrupt Decay which is nice.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Thought of him today, too, after reading about Moggcatcher in Dragon Stompy, but didn't really consider. But I think you are right. He sounds pretty good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    Thought of him today, too, after reading about Moggcatcher in Dragon Stompy, but didn't really consider. But I think you are right. He sounds pretty good to me.
    Yeah, I mean she's straight tap for repeatable card advantage, something we normally don't have.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Of course, she. The no activation cost part is nice, like a GSZable Planeswalker after one untap. KotR is similar in that way but he doesn't actually draw cards and Sigarda, Jitte, Karakas and Teeg are more impactful cards than lands. So that could be a good reason why you would GSZ for her. She is worth testing imo.

Mar 2007

Captain Sisay? Really? Spells at 4 mana should win the game. A 2/2 that needs to wait an entire turn to do anything? It's a fun as hell card in EDH, but I'm sceptical for Legacy.

That said, it could have some merit. Scryb Ranger shenanigans lead to insane card advantage and Sisay can fetch both parts of the Mangara/Karakas combo. Consistency could be threatened with too many 1-ofs, though.

Looking for useful Legends made me rediscover one of my favorite cards: Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary

GSZ-able and has potential to set up massive shenanigans on T3, be it swinging with an equipped T1 drop, GSZ for 5 fetching Sigarda, dropping a Batterskull without SFM, powering up Ooze or just vomiting out your hand if necessary. Again, pretty hilarious combo with Scryb Ranger.

Might be cool.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Capt Sisay is a boss-lady. She's pretty good in a slower metagame when also combined with Sigarda Host of HAHAHAHAH-your-removal-is-worthless and Linvala Keeping-you-null. Hell of a card to have when Show & Tell resolves vs Sneak Show :)

West side
    My Legacy stream

Thread Information