Page 259 of 428 FirstFirst ... 159209249255256257258259260261262263269309359 ... LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,180 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Stuhl View Post
    My opinion is: -1 thalia, +1 sfm. I don't like 4 legendary permanents of one kind. Might be a dead draw, especially in the late game. But again its a very individual decision.

Sent from my HUAWEI U9508 using Tapatalk
    I'm using -4 thalia and +4 tidehollow sculler. He's good in begining or late game and affects all kinds of decks.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Is anyone testing a one-of Dryad Militant in the 75? Seems good against storm decks with applications against graveyard and mid range strategies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    Is anyone testing a one-of Dryad Militant in the 75? Seems good against storm decks with applications against graveyard and mid range strategies.
    Militant seems pretty good right now with DRS and Goyf everywhere. Unfortunately Maverick already suffers against most of the hate intended for TNN, so I don't know if more x/1s are the place to be. Probably not a bad idea as a 1-of though.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

I'm actually looking at it as another bear for combo, except it's accessible via GSZ@1. I don't know how much I like it vs. Goyf, but we'll see.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Any thoughts on replacing Thalia with Spirit in the Detroit list? Cut the Sylvans for a pair of Mystics to avoid hurting yourself. I know Finn tested it extensively in D&T, but I feel that with exalted triggers, this might be the better home.
    -ktkenshinx-

Any thoughts on replacing Thalia with Spirit in the Detroit list? Cut the Sylvans for a pair of Mystics to avoid hurting yourself. I know Finn tested it extensively in D&T, but I feel that with exalted triggers, this might be the better home.
    I tried that setup before. Losing sylvan library really puts a dent on our deck as this is our only option for CA. I have 2 on my deck and I feel anything lower just won't cut it

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

If that's the case, have you considered running more? Just out of curiosity?
    -ktkenshinx-

If that's the case, have you considered running more? Just out of curiosity?
    I used 3 spirits in MB. Actually, its really not as strong as it seems. I feel that the best deck that would use this are decks that use vials, DNT.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

I've got nothing but games to lose, so I'll keep testing it for shits sake. More data never hurts, right?

I'm torn between wanting double sword and jitte, and wanting a Batterskull in the main. Worth it? No?
    -ktkenshinx-

I've got nothing but games to lose, so I'll keep testing it for shits sake. More data never hurts, right?

I'm torn between wanting double sword and jitte, and wanting a Batterskull in the main. Worth it? No?
    i prefer sword&jitte. altho I use 2 jitte in my deck.Batterskull in the hand w/o sfm is extremely bad for us, with no brainstorm to shuffle it back to the library.

do you guys see anything in JOU that might be used in maverick? Aegis of the gods perhaps in an enlightened tutor sideboard.

Hello again,

I played four rounds of legacy at a local tournament today and finished 8:0 with straight GW Maverick. As I don't remember the games very well, I will just do a little overall report.

The list:

4x Noble Hierarch
    4x Mother of Runes
    4x Knight of the Reliquary
    3x Stoneforge Mystic
    3x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    2x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Sigarda, Host of Herons
    1x Scryb Ranger
    1x Dryad Arbor

4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    1x Crop Rotation
    1x Sylvan Library
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Batterskull
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice

1x Forest
    1x Plains
    3x Savannah
    2x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Windswept Heath
    4x Wasteland
    1x Karakas
    2x Horizon Canopy
    1x Gaea's Cradle
    1x Cavern of Souls
    1x Thespian's Stage
    1x Dark Depths

SB

1x Path to Exile
    1x Krosan Grip
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Humility
    2x Pithing Needle
    1x Thrun, the Last Troll
    1x Elspeth
    2x Wilt-Leaf Liege
    3x Surgical Extraction
    1x Bojuka Bog

We were 9 players and I knew the decks more or less (it was more or less a tournament with friends :P, so don't take the result too serious!) so I adjusted the SB for a creature and graveyard (reanimator, dredge) heavy meta. Usually I would play another Teeg and 2-3 Canonists and maybe just 2 Extractions and no Elspeth. The 2 Lieges are great in my opinion as one of the most dangerous things are -1/-1 sweeps and usually decks who play these cards are also playing discard (Hymn, Lilly) and Abrupt Decays -> 4cmc is save! They also pump your army in a creature based meta, having a 7/7 flying, hexproof/sacproof is... very good?!?!? I boarded them against D&T and ended up with one hell of an army!

I did the DD combo only once to get 20 life which bought me time to overrun my opponent which had a TNN in play. I was really happy with the combo. Didn't have annoying situations and was able to put pressure on my opponents often. I nearly always boarded it out in the 2nd game, especially against D&T (Karakas, Swords, Flickerwisp... -> NEVER try to combo against a D&T deck!).

The equipments I played really were worth it. Never don't play Batterskull... it's just too good. You get life, it is Decay proof, you can equip Scryb Ranger to swing heavily in the air, you can hard cast it often with mana dorks, Cradle, Scryb Ranger AND mana dorks, Knight to Cradle, Crop Rotation to Cradle, whatever your hand looks like. I think the "ugly" situations with Batterskull are rare compared with the good ones! 1st turn Mother -> 2nd turn Stoneforge to Batterskull -> Overpwnage! SoFaI is just strong against TNN decks, gives drawback, etc., but you all know that :P and Jitte... yeah :P!

The Crop Rotation did very well! Against Reanimate he went down to 5 life with Exhume to Griselbrand, then wanted to attack and I rotate into Karakas (but ok, he did not play blue in his Reanimate deck... it was more a brew). But also Rotation for Cradle or Wasteland ist just good. I liked that one, also with Bojuka Bog in the sideboard.

Yeah, Bojuka Bog saved my ass in a mirror match. He attacked with a 8/8 Knight, but I only took 2 damage ;). His deck played only Knights as real beaters -> very dangerous against graveyard hate. I like Sigarda in that case as one, zenithable really big, independent creature.

I'm really happy with Cradle, too. It just adds so much speed! Often you can fetch an equipment with SM and just play it, equip AND attack. Playing two Canopys seems reasonable as Maverick just has no good drawback and in the lategame this one additional draw is often necessary. Cavern of Souls didn't do anything, but it also never hurt. As I said, there weren't a lot of blue decks :P. I know, in reality things are less comfortable.#

Sylvan Library performed really great. Had a lot of nice draws thanks to SL.

And of course, my most favorite creature in Maverick: Scryb Ranger did great, as always! Ads more mana, doubles Mother, blocks Delver, saves lands and Arbor, doubles Knight for double Wasteland/instant combo, attacks in the air (often with 2/3 exalted triggers), etc... But nonetheless I would play it just as a one off. He is great, but also small.

Well, these are my experiences. I play straight GW since a few weeks now and I really like it! I think it is really stable. I know, Deathrite Shamans are very very very good, but believe me, it also works without them and against decks which also play DS you just don't care, you have your mana fixed! No fights agout lands... just ramping out and maybe going into Ooze and nomnomnom. You also can put a Needle on DS! You also have no discard in the SB, but with Thalia and 2-3 Canonists, additional Teeg and maybe Extractions you should be able to play against storm...
    Against TNN you imo just have to race. With SoFaI and mana ramp that's imo very good possible.
    Thrun, Elspeth are against Miracle decks in the first place. But also against board whipes like Pernicious Deed or Supreme Verdict.

Well, that's all I remember :P
    Had again a great time with Maverick and discovered once again that you always should play 4 Mother of Runes!!! Always!

- Stuhl

Jan 2012
    Oslo, Norway

I really like the Doran idea and might try it in the future. Also, watching Caleb Durward's banned videos with Survival of the Fittest made me want to try a Fauna Shaman/Loyal Retainers/Elesh Norn package. Against Elves and TNN decks that should be game, and post board we can bring in Iona or similar trumps for tough matchups. Also, rebuying Thalia, Teeg or Sigarda shouldn't be underestimated. Thoughts?

I don't like it. It is a very slow, mana intensive combo. I think maverick as all about ramping and cutting your opponents mana. I think a zenith to knight or even an early sigarda is better than fauna shaman (who is small and needs one more turn to be activated). You can't tutor retainers, so you need to play more of them. They just do nothing most of the time. And getting teeg, thalia back... hm, I don't think that's necessary. Bringing sigarda back? How the hell should she die :)? Ok, there are globals, but in 90% of all games she won't leave the battlefield.
    Reanimator decks can get elesh norn first turn and protect the combo with countermagic. That's what they do, but not what maverick does.
    You can give it a try, but I don't think you will achieve great success.

Hi,

Some thoughts after BOM9 in Annecy. I played the following list [almost Herzog List]:

Creatures [25]
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Noble Hierarch
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

Instants [4]
    4 Swords to Plowshares

Sorceries [4]
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

Enchantments [2]
    2 Sylvan Library

Artifacts [3]
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Lands [22]
    1 Bayou
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    1 Scrubland
    2 Forest
    2 Savannah
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath

Sideboard
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Oblivion Ring
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    4 Thoughtseize

I don't have notes but from what I recall it was like this:

Round 1 - BYE - 3 Points

Round 2 - Merfolks (2-1) - 6 Points
    I lost game 1 crushed by the army of the blue lords. In game I assembled Scryb Ranger + SoFI duo with mother of runes and this was enough. In game 3 he copied my stoneforge mystic with phantasmal image and searched for jitte. Then played nemesis and for 2 turns was one mana short of casting and equiping TNN with Jitte (to kill my 2 moms). In the end 2 KoTRs that were about 12/12 sealed the game.

Round 3 - I have no idea what was it but I won - 9 Points

Round 4 - Shardless BUG (0-2) - 9 Points
    This one was on the camera. Game 1 I mulliganed to 5 keeping quite a strong hand. T1 Deathrite, T2 SFM (Forced), T3 Ooze (Forced) no gas and sudden death. Game 2 I lead with T1 Noble, T2 Mom and Deatrite, T3 Mom and then he cast toxic deluge and clearing the board ... my bad play here. I didn't expect that card here.

Round 5 - ANT (2-0) - 12 Points
    Game one he Thoughtseizes me and takes Thalia, then therapies to take GSZ. I topdeck Gaddock turn later and after that I played another Thalia I drew from the top. Game 2 I keep risky 1 lander hand with Thoughtseize / 2xDRS / Fetch / Thalia. He cabals thalia, I thougthseize him taking Infernal Tutor. Then cast DRS turn two. I rip Thalia from the Top, then cannonist and surgical extracting his tutors. No more lands showed but I used opponent fetches :)

6 - Death and Taxes (1-0) - 15 Points
    Game one was very long, about 35 minutes. He was using Ports to keep me off my mana but I had a lot of lands. The game was won by Qasali holding Jitte and SOFI. In game 2 I was short on lands. I sworded T1 mom and was stuck on 2 lands. He played Mirran Crusader equiped it with jitte. It was blocked by thalia (thanks god that worked). Then he cast SFM for batterskull. I somehow managed to survive and played 2 KoTRs to survive. Knights were bigger than Batterskull with Jitte. The time was called so I won 1-0

Round 7 - Sneak and Show (0-2) - 15 Points
    Things started to go wrong from here. Game 1 he played STD from volcanic island so I though I was playing against miracles. He forced my Knight and S&T Sneak to cast Griselbrand (draw XX) and cast emrakul for the win. Game 2 was similar. Bad matchups are bad -.-

Round 8 - Burn (1-2) - 15 Points
    I lost game 1 quite fast. No DRS, no Thalia but hand was pretty good but not against burn ... in game 2 I managed to draw 4 DRS that was enough to seal the game. In game 3 I STPed turn 1 Gobilin Guide and then I was crused by new Pyrostatic Pillar on legs (Edilon of sth) ...

Round 9 - BRUG Planeswalkers with PF combo (2-1) - 18 Points
    Game 1 I managed to survive all the removal spells and somehow kill him. Game 2 fast Liliana and PF crushed me. In game 3 I survived 2 JTMS, 3 Lilianas thanks to SoLaS that was returning a creature each turn so that I could sacrifice sth to liliana, return a creature to jace and have one more to attack with SoLaS

Round 10 - Miracles (0-2) - 18 Points
    Game 1 I could block his spells with Teeg but I didn't just play it and I don't know why ... Game 2 I almost had having surgical extractioned his STPs. However his SFM after sideboarding with batterskull sealed the game. Cause miracles were blocked by Teeg again.

Overall finished 6-4 but starting 5-1 I expected sth better.

Pros
    - great tournament
    - deck choice was good
    - the best cards are always on the top!
    - scryb ranger is a house

Cons
    - SoLaS was a thing I never searched with SFM
    - I have never seen Sylvan Library
    - poor game on the vid

That's all thanks :)

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Thank you for good report from BoM9

Jan 2012
    Oslo, Norway

I took this to a testing session today and beat the snot out of UR Delver, Twelvepost, BUG Delver and Bant. I'd love to make room for a single Life from the Loam and perhaps another Pridemage, but other than that I'm extremely happy with this maindeck.

23 creatures:
    1x Birds of Paradise
    2x Deathrite Shaman
    3x Mother of Runes
    2x Noble Hierarch
    1x Sylvan Safekeeper
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Scryb Ranger
    2x Stoneforge Mystic
    3x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4x Knight of the Reliquary
    1x Sigarda, Host of Herons

15 other spells:
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Abrupt Decay
    1x Sylvan Library
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Sword of Light and Shadow
    1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant

22 lands:
    4x Wasteland
    4x Windswept Heath
    2x Savannah
    1x Bayou
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Forest
    1x Gaea's Cradle
    1x Horizon Canopy
    1x Karakas
    1x Maze of Ith
    1x Misty Rainforest
    1x Plains
    1x Scrubland
    1x Verdant Catacombs

Very temporary sideboard:
    4 Oblivion Ring
    3 Choke
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction

I haven't changed the sideboard since I switched back from GW vial to GWb, so I plan to retool it entirely. I expect a fairly broad spectrum of decks, including various Delver decks, both Show and Tell variants, a couple of Storm diehards, a couple of Burn adherents and most likely several Miracle players. Dredge tends to show up in numbers or not at all.

Things I'd like to include:
    A flexible mass removal spell like Engineered Explosives, Ratchet Bomb or Maelstrom Pulse
    Lifegain (I'm actually considering Lone Missionary, since it gives a healthy four life straight away for only two mana)
    Discard (currently leaning towards a split between Thoughtseize, Inquisition and Duress)
    Anti-Nemesis cards (Golgari Charm and/or Zealous Persecution)
    A single Garruk Relentless for the Miracles matchup

Suggestions?

May 2012
    Ann Arbor, MI

Quote Originally Posted by 1mpulse View Post
    Reason #1 is why I didn't really even go over boarding with Tom. We were talking about how to sideboard last week and it was super frustrating because I'd talk about how I board, then he'd always ask, "What about the Choke?," and I'd have to be like, "What about it? It's not in my board. That changes things."

Not saying I won't talk about it, but if so, it will have to be on the weekend. Too tired to think and type about it right now and tomorrow I'm gonna go play in a weekly.
    Just by virtue of my location you probably know who this is. I'm usually the only one really playing maverick in the immediate Ann Arbor area. We've talked about choke before. There's always going to be threats that slip in before it and I understand that was one of your arguments. I also understand the tendency for it to get dazed or spell pierced against all those delver decks. My meta is full of miracles decks. In the typical 8-10 people that show up for the weekly there are usually no less than three people playing the deck. Choke is obviously the bomb against these kind of decks. So for my meta, if I wanted to play maverick, choke is absolutely essential. Playing a creature deck is a losing proposition against miracles, and choke helps to tip the scales back to at least even. With the help of choke I 2-0'd Kyle, who I only mention because he recently won a grand prix, and he is miles and miles better at playing magic than me. He had around 7 lands in play tapped, all islands, and a choke off the top of my deck instantly won the game because he kept having to bounce and replay his batterskull. I wasn't even playing maverick, I was playing Sam Black's Zombardment deck. I play 3 choke in my enchantress sideboard, and when I was playing against miracles my opponent tapped out for jace, and I slammed down the choke I had been holding in my hand. One oblivion ring on jace later and he was dead, dead, dead. However, even though the decks I was playing weren't maverick, my examples are just to show that the card is effective and often game winning.

Since TNN got printed I've been playing the dark depths stage combo to go over the top of what your opponent is doing. It's especially helpful on stalled board states or when you don't have a favorable attack. I know it's not always at its best. For example playing in the top 8 of the last black lotus tournament, my shardless bug opponent had a baleful strix to block it for one turn, brainstorms, untaps and plays a jace to bounce Marit Lage. This took away my "free" win but if I had not had the combo the board was too clogged up with tarmogoyfs and shardless agents for me to win otherwise. However, the cost of playing the combo is so low. You're basically conceding yourself to having one dead card (which is actually not really dead because simply having dark depths in play threatens and makes KOTR a must counter) and you lose one fetch land. It's bad to lose the fetch with a deck that plays KOTR and deathrite, but even if you combo out and it doesn't work, your KOTR is now huge.

My main question was actually to ask you if you like Dark Confidant in Maverick. Protecting bob with a mother of runes just seems insane. The question you'll probably ask in return is what do you cut to fit it in? From your list, I would say -1 Qasali -2 Stoneforge, -1 Library. Losing a library is probably bad but you're replacing a card advantage engine card for another similar effect. I've never liked stoneforge in maverick, it was always slow and clunky for me and I would have no problems cutting it.

Never tell me the odds.
    Jan 2010
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Ecstatic_Conch View Post
    Just by virtue of my location you probably know who this is. I'm usually the only one really playing maverick in the immediate Ann Arbor area. We've talked about choke before. There's always going to be threats that slip in before it and I understand that was one of your arguments. I also understand the tendency for it to get dazed or spell pierced against all those delver decks. My meta is full of miracles decks. In the typical 8-10 people that show up for the weekly there are usually no less than three people playing the deck. Choke is obviously the bomb against these kind of decks. So for my meta, if I wanted to play maverick, choke is absolutely essential. Playing a creature deck is a losing proposition against miracles, and choke helps to tip the scales back to at least even. With the help of choke I 2-0'd Kyle, who I only mention because he recently won a grand prix, and he is miles and miles better at playing magic than me. He had around 7 lands in play tapped, all islands, and a choke off the top of my deck instantly won the game because he kept having to bounce and replay his batterskull. I wasn't even playing maverick, I was playing Sam Black's Zombardment deck. I play 3 choke in my enchantress sideboard, and when I was playing against miracles my opponent tapped out for jace, and I slammed down the choke I had been holding in my hand. One oblivion ring on jace later and he was dead, dead, dead. However, even though the decks I was playing weren't maverick, my examples are just to show that the card is effective and often game winning.

Since TNN got printed I've been playing the dark depths stage combo to go over the top of what your opponent is doing. It's especially helpful on stalled board states or when you don't have a favorable attack. I know it's not always at its best. For example playing in the top 8 of the last black lotus tournament, my shardless bug opponent had a baleful strix to block it for one turn, brainstorms, untaps and plays a jace to bounce Marit Lage. This took away my "free" win but if I had not had the combo the board was too clogged up with tarmogoyfs and shardless agents for me to win otherwise. However, the cost of playing the combo is so low. You're basically conceding yourself to having one dead card (which is actually not really dead because simply having dark depths in play threatens and makes KOTR a must counter) and you lose one fetch land. It's bad to lose the fetch with a deck that plays KOTR and deathrite, but even if you combo out and it doesn't work, your KOTR is now huge.

My main question was actually to ask you if you like Dark Confidant in Maverick. Protecting bob with a mother of runes just seems insane. The question you'll probably ask in return is what do you cut to fit it in? From your list, I would say -1 Qasali -2 Stoneforge, -1 Library. Losing a library is probably bad but you're replacing a card advantage engine card for another similar effect. I've never liked stoneforge in maverick, it was always slow and clunky for me and I would have no problems cutting it.
    In general there are a lot of cards out there like Choke and Scryb Ranger that people have strong feelings for. I know that, and I don't go looking to change anyone's opinion on card selection because it's something that is extremely hard to do and what others run doesn't affect me in the slightest. I do however give my advice on stuff when people ask for it.

When I build sideboards I look to fill it with multi-purpose cards that are generally good against a wide spread of the format. So when I look at Choke in regards to Maverick, I find I'd normally want to find a card that covers more ground. For example, Gaddock Teeg is insane against Miracles as long as you resist the urge to run him into Snapcasters and Cliques. It also happens to be really good against a bunch of combo decks. With a Mother of Runes or SoLS on a Teeg, their only out is a Karakas. I've done a lot of testing with Chris in the past (with just straight GW) and I found I didn't have to go too far out of my way to beat Miracles. When the deck is big, I'll run 1 Teeg in the main, and 2 in the board.

Again, I'm not saying Choke isn't good at what it does, because it is. I think it does a good job hosing Islands and that it can help bridge a skill gap that sometimes exists between players. In the above scenario against Kyle it strikes me that I could have achieved similar results without going to far out of my way, by using a Qasali Pridemage to permanently take care of the Batterskull. Legacy is all about skinning cats in different ways, I just look to do it in a way that best maximizes my 75.

Going alone with all that is another thing I've noticed over the years is how most are just talking about and building their sideboards in the context of their local metagame. Everyone's always got these CounterTop players they want to beat, or Elves or Storm players. That's fine, and it makes sense to metagame your local meta if you want to win. However, I never tune my sideboard for any type of local metagame for a couple reasons. One being that I don't need to, the other being that I'm always looking to be configured for how I would be for an upcoming 1k or SCG Open. That latter is important because it means I'm going to be more ready for these events big events than someone who just jams some Mindbreak Traps in his board week in and week out because there are a couple Storm decks in the local meta. Whatever your local meta is, it's important to realize that it doesn't necessarily represent what your going to be facing at the bigger events. This concept is probably the leading reason why my card selection choices are so different from everyone elses.

People always used to ask me about Dark Confidants in the past, and I always told them the deck had ways to get card advantage without moving to another color. With the advent of Deathrite Shaman, he's most reasonable now than he's ever been, but I still haven't found myself wanting him in Maverick. My reasons for that are: He has competing priority with Thalia. Maverick for me, means quality of cards, rather than quantity, which is what Confidant pushes you towards. He doesn't beat very well. Golgari Charm.

That's not to say I don't love Dark Confidant, because I do. I just think he's better suited in Junk style decks, like the one I refer to as 'Renegade' which I've won mutiple 1k's with and the last two Power events at GYGO.

Can I ask why Abrupt Decay doesn't seem to be an auto include in the SB for lists splashing black?

Jul 2011
    California

Quote Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
    Can I ask why Abrupt Decay doesn't seem to be an auto include in the SB for lists splashing black?
    The deck has so many ways to deal with permanents already, between Swords to Plowshares and Quasali Pridemage (+ GSZs to fetch them) the Abrupt Decays aren't really necessary. Better to lead up on combo hate since they're your worst matchups.
    Legacy: Miracles

Thread Information