Page 276 of 428 FirstFirst ... 176226266272273274275276277278279280286326376 ... LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,520 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by TMagpie View Post
    Which aspect of the card is good--the "land draw" or the lifegain? It seems like it has too little of each for 3 mana, but how is it actually playing out? What matchups do you actually zenith for it instead of a Knight?
    Being a flat 2/4 means it's quite good at holding the ground. "Drawing a card" every now and then also very good value in almost every matchup. The lifegain in this metagame is not irrelevant. Synergizing with Sylvan Library (which we want to play anyways) is also top notch.

All of these things make me want to play Courser.

I Zenith for one when I'm behind on lands or need to hold the ground against Burn or UR Delver. Courser is a good mid-game stepping stone to the late game 9/9 Knight plan.

Good day guys;

i'm an old italian magic player since 96 and i'm playin Maverick atm, after a couple of years idle.

Last night testing with my team shows me that UR delver really kick my ass. ATM i'm play herzog list with black for DSR and Adecay in side.
    I feel bad with that list, (only scyb's for ooze is my change and no cradle )

Really this deck seems to lose after the good early phase of the game, maybe too many drop and nothing to freeze the game when in advantage, this is what i see.

How do you feel against UR burn or UR pyromancer deck based? what You side in?

I don't like also the COK (even if is very good with sylvan) for the same reason, it does not seal the game when in.

any suggest to my problem? in my zone ur decks are 50% of the meta.

If the meta was nothing but stonebladedurdlemidrange.dec, Courser would be great. Otherwise it is irrelevant against most everything else in the field. It gives up all of your information, the lifegain is too slow and irrelevant, and it can't block a Swiftspear worth more than any other 3 drop creature you could use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulabnar View Post
    Good day guys;

i'm an old italian magic player since 96 and i'm playin Maverick atm, after a couple of years idle.

Last night testing with my team shows me that UR delver really kick my ass. ATM i'm play herzog list with black for DSR and Adecay in side.
    I feel bad with that list, (only scyb's for ooze is my change and no cradle )

Really this deck seems to lose after the good early phase of the game, maybe too many drop and nothing to freeze the game when in advantage, this is what i see.

How do you feel against UR burn or UR pyromancer deck based? what You side in?

I don't like also the COK (even if is very good with sylvan) for the same reason, it does not seal the game when in.

any suggest to my problem? in my zone ur decks are 50% of the meta.
    What seems to be your issue with UR delver? I haven't experienced an issue with the deck so far. Everyone playing UR delver is what made me start experimenting with maverick.

Quote Originally Posted by JankMaster View Post
    What seems to be your issue with UR delver? I haven't experienced an issue with the deck so far. Everyone playing UR delver is what made me start experimenting with maverick.
    I've never lost a series vs a UR delver deck, but a lot of my almost losses I pulled out due to random Marit lage token. Do you run Dark Depths?

I'm running the depths combo. This week I beat UR delver in a game I mulled to 4. After that game I don't know if I will ever remove the combo.

Recently I have been doing a lot of testing with Punishing Dark Maverick on Twitch, and I have recorded the match ups. Not all of my lists are the same in the testing, and some of the hands are hard to see, but I think the videos will be interesting to watch. I hope people like what they see. I played the same 60 as Fabian Gorzgen but I changed the board drastically to improve some match ups.

Maverick vs Patriot blade (BBD build)

Start here and we start the match around 10 mins in

http://www.twitch.tv/phlogisten/b/591324479

http://www.twitch.tv/phlogisten/b/591384455

After several matches I cut two swords to plowshares into the board and kept the DD combo to get around TNN lock.

Lesser quality pre-GP NJ testing vs UR and UWR MIracles before I realized how hard it was to see my hand when I played.

This was a play test day before the event. It's about 3 cards different than the other list played in the video before. Around this time I was considering Maze of Ith. I made room for sword of fire and ice, and it wasn't worth it. Batterskull in this list is enough. The miracles matches were great to see. Learning more about the deck from a second hand perspective has helped me beat it in games. You can watch my over extensions and shake your heads as terminus ruins my games. 3 teegs in the 75 will be my next try when I record and test against the deck.

http://www.twitch.tv/phlogisten/b/588497620
    http://www.twitch.tv/phlogisten/b/588552057
    http://www.twitch.tv/phlogisten/b/588605073

More videos to come. I hope you enjoy watching.
    Last edited by Strassbaw; 11-23-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Knight/fetchland/zenith + courser on board means you can manipulate your draws and shuffle away cards you definitely do not need. I think that's what matters most.

Aug 2014
    Central New York

I'm running the depths combo. This week I beat UR delver in a game I mulled to 4. After that game I don't know if I will ever remove the combo.
    That's generally how I feel about it. I admit I was running "only" using cradle at the GP. Cradle held its own against the wide field in ways the DD/Stage would have felt a turn too slow. It made me feel naked at times. I also couldn't "just auto-kill" -- a feature I love against durdly decks.

@UR Delver:
    The key was Scooze. I crushed TC delver at the GP and had ridiculous wasteland/thalia/scooze end them. Also, if they fetch a dual to open, you burn an available wasteland in your hand to strand them. My opponent kept a 1 lander and I pushed him turn 1 by wasteland-ing his opening dual. He bricks for 5 turns without lands while I thalia/scooze him out.

I agree on ooze 100%!!!

May games are like this.

Either an early thalia wrecks their tempo
    Or a midgame night is just unkillable
    Or I stabilize, and before they burn me out I DD them

Without DD I feel that Maverick will too often get "burnt out" by treasure cruise drawing them the last 2-3 burn spells needed to finish you off. I'm just trying to get a gauge if there's a pattern between DD players having an easier time vs UR Cruise Delver than non-DD players.

Nov 2014
    Atlanta, GA

Has anyone tested 1-2 Bitterblossom out of the board? Saw Glenn Jones' article on SCG last Thursday had one in the board. Primarily for Miracles and Stoneblade (and other grindy decks).

I've been testing with it some over the weekend and very impressed so far.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

In the DGA thread I was mentioning that I think Bitterblossom is best for a Junk deck (but is perfectly acceptable in the side for miracles or something. Though I think Elspeth/Garruk will treat you better.) The reason is:
    A) Junk is typically a Goyf Deck; so you can give him an easy +2
    B) It's not in your primary color, and your primary color can do the same thing with stronger cards.

For instance, a Junk deck can't comfortably run Elspeth any more than you can jam in Lily. I think Souls is generally accepted as stronger (especially next to SoLaS, if you run it) and I'd say that that logic applies here as well, since you don't have much black and since you don't run Goyf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Went 1-2 in my weekly local.

Burn 1-2 tied up and then during the last game which I think I was going to win some little kids came into the store (which I work at) so i had to help them and when the round timer went off i conceded.

Death and Taxes 2-1 crazy jitte battles in all games, but KOTR ended up saving the day in the games which i won. I love having large green creatures in the face of all these little men. Zealous doing work in game 3 as well.

UWR blade 0-2: game 1 mulled to 4 and almost got there but the bricks hurt real bad. TNN finished me off, i should note that he cast 2 DTT this game. Game 2 i built up my board and to my surprise opp played supreme verdict. I couldnt rebuild, he casts at least 3 force of wills and 2 DTTs again.

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    Though I think Elspeth/Garruk will treat you better.
    The biggest advantage to Bitterblossom is that it comes down so early. In a Miracles match that likely doesn't matter, whereas 2cmc is a very real concern vs Counterbalance.

Of the 3, I personally think Garruk is the best option. That's just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambriel View Post
    The biggest advantage to Bitterblossom is that it comes down so early. In a Miracles match that likely doesn't matter, whereas 2cmc is a very real concern vs Counterbalance.

Of the 3, I personally think Garruk is the best option. That's just me though.
    Due to the nature of the miracles matchup in conjunction with its sudden rise in popularity, I have been using 3 slots in my sideboard for 2 Armageddon + 1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All.

My question is this--is it better to run planes walkers instead? How big a trump is a token generator vs miracles? Is it a bigger trump to run geddon?

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I used Kjeldoran outpost once to test the theory (I know it's janky.) My general experience was you not only need the token generator but you need disruption coming over the top of it (in your case, Teeg/Thalia) to last long enough for that token clock to matter. Instead of this; if you have a stream of tokens attaching equipment, this is enough to establish a good clock without commiting anything. The equips are the important part. The tokens are not quite enough by themselves IME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    I used Kjeldoran outpost once to test the theory (I know it's janky.) My general experience was you not only need the token generator but you need disruption coming over the top of it (in your case, Teeg/Thalia) to last long enough for that token clock to matter. Instead of this; if you have a stream of tokens attaching equipment, this is enough to establish a good clock without commiting anything. The equips are the important part. The tokens are not quite enough by themselves IME.
    I don't feel bad about not running elspeths anymore then.

Top 4 with Punishing Dark Maverick today at a scg IQ with 45 people. Here is my list.

http://www.mtgpulse.com/event/18566#261707

Punishing Fire and Pyroblast have been pretty nice as blade decks in my area have become more prevalent than UR delver decks. The E tutor board was nice, but I think the deck can still do well without it. Life from the Loam in my 60 is feeling okay, as it's a great card historically in the deck, however, it may not be necessary.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Strassbaw View Post
    Top 4 with Punishing Dark Maverick today at a scg IQ with 45 people. Here is my list.

http://www.mtgpulse.com/event/18566#261707

Punishing Fire and Pyroblast have been pretty nice as blade decks in my area have become more prevalent than UR delver decks. The E tutor board was nice, but I think the deck can still do well without it. Life from the Loam in my 60 is feeling okay, as it's a great card historically in the deck, however, it may not be necessary.
    Damn dude, not bad, how many of these things have you top 8'ed at this point? I feel like I am always seeing your name on decklist websites. Have you always played the punishing version?

Thread Information