Page 301 of 428 FirstFirst ... 201251291297298299300301302303304305311351401 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,020 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    Not really. Thalia is the best because she's a 2cc (1+W) taxer with first strike. Anything in the 3-hole needs to really do damage. This is just more of the tax. This flyer still loses to burn, terminus, wrath, and a swarm of opposing creatures. Most of us already don't bother with Aven Mindcensor, who IMO is miles better for the deck as a whole. If you want spells to simply cost more, run 4x Thalia and some amount of Thorn of Amethyst. The pegasus just isnt enough.
    What about in Death and Taxes? Wouldn't the Pegasus reinforce their strategy of mana denial even further?

D&T could already play Glowrider at the 3 spot if they really wanted another tax effect.

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Daban View Post
    Hello!
    I'm just getting into legacy and I've chosen maverick as my first deck!

This is the 75 I have in mind, but I'm not 100% sure on it (especially the sideboard).
    From the minor proxied testing I have done I have really enjoyed Titania as the curvetopper bomb. She allows us to go wide if the going high plan with Knight of the Reliquary isn't working, as well as having some minor Karakas synergy.

I'd love any type of feedback, negative or positive, but please be constructive. Explain why some card choices are bad/good, I only want to learn more about this awesome format!

Not sure if posting links is allowed, so I put the decklist in here. Please update me if a tappedout link is preferred :)

Wooded Foothills is strictly worse than Verdant Catacombs if you're playing a Scrubland.

I'd suggest finding room for a 2nd Library and Sword of Light and Shadow in the 75, both mainly being concessions to the poor yet abundant Miracles matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambriel View Post
    D&T could already play Glowrider at the 3 spot if they really wanted another tax effect.
    Some lists run Mindscensor as a hatebear flyer to help get equipment across. Is this not a strict upgrade specifically because its an Aven Mindscensor with a more relevant ability?

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Quote Originally Posted by TMagpie View Post
    Some lists run Mindscensor as a hatebear flyer to help get equipment across. Is this not a strict upgrade specifically because its an Aven Mindscensor with a more relevant ability?
    This is hard for me to grasp. I'm assuming you're asking which ability is better (given the "more relevant ability" statement). If you're comparing the new card (thalia tax #2) to Mindcensor, I am of the opinion mindcensor is more powerful.
    Both Maverick and DnT like Thalia. However, if I were inclined to run a 2W 2/1 flying thing, Mindcensor's flash + ability to stop people from digging from fetches/respond to tutors/respond to SFM is better. It's also a flash-blocker. The new guy is better in bulk (ie; if you have multiple copies on the table), but at that point I'd argue you ought to be winning the game regardless. Both bodies (new pegasus and censor) are identical...and they die miserably to ping effects (see: burn like forked bolt). I also think given the way Maverick is evolving (more spells like decay and stuff in the main), I wouldn't want to shoot myself in the foot too much. I still rely on GSZ and equipment and there are awk moments when Thalia interferes with my lines. I would have to shift the focus of the deck considerably to mitigate these problems. I welcome the card, but would really need to test it out. If the opponent plays lots of creatures as well, this thing is a waste of space in the deck IMO.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Thoughts on Evolutionary Leap? Nothing too fancy, just 1-2 copies to add to GSZ and Library shenanigans. It makes spot removal much worse and can diminish the effect of mass removal if you have mana open. It would also make SoLaS for recursion better.

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Thoughts on Evolutionary Leap? Nothing too fancy, just 1-2 copies to add to GSZ and Library shenanigans. It makes spot removal much worse and can diminish the effect of mass removal if you have mana open. It would also make SoLaS for recursion better.
    I have mixed feelings. It doesn't put the card into play. Plus you need to keep mana open (something I don't find myself doing unless I'm durdling).

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

It just struck me: Why aren't we running Wilt-Leaf Liege as GSZ target? It has a nice body that is bolt-proof and AD-immune, is a double lord for quite a few of our creatures, and provides random discard protection vs Liliana when drawn. Has anybody ever tried that out?

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    It just struck me: Why aren't we running Wilt-Leaf Liege as GSZ target? It has a nice body that is bolt-proof and AD-immune, is a double lord for quite a few of our creatures, and provides random discard protection vs Liliana when drawn. Has anybody ever tried that out?
    It requires a specific meta you're looking to beat. If you're worried about -1/-1 sweepers, discard, and Liliana they rock. It's also a nice GSZ target.
    I've had success with it, but again, you need to gameplan against a specific meta. Source

The following Maverick variant took down 2 different Grand Prix Lille trials -

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Life from the Loam
    2 Sylvan Library
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Punishing Fire
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Dark Confidant
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Deathrite Shaman

1 Dryad Arbor
    3 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Taiga
    1 Savannah
    1 Forest
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Karakas
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Wasteland
    1 Maze of Ith
    2 Barren Moor
    1 Tranquil Thicket

2 Slaughter Games
    2 Choke
    2 Golgari Charm
    2 Thersworn Canonist
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    3 Leyline of the Void
    1 Reclamation Sage

Thoughts?

Dec 2011
    Norway

Hey Maverick-players, I'm not a Maverick aficionado and I have a question: Isn't Collected Company good in Maverick as a 1-2 of? I'm just curious what you guys feel about the card.

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

Quote Originally Posted by jaydprickett View Post
    The following Maverick variant took down 2 different Grand Prix Lille trials -

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Life from the Loam
    2 Sylvan Library
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Punishing Fire
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Dark Confidant
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Deathrite Shaman

1 Dryad Arbor
    3 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Taiga
    1 Savannah
    1 Forest
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Karakas
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Wasteland
    1 Maze of Ith
    2 Barren Moor
    1 Tranquil Thicket

2 Slaughter Games
    2 Choke
    2 Golgari Charm
    2 Thersworn Canonist
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    3 Leyline of the Void
    1 Reclamation Sage

Thoughts?
    This is the LOAM deck which just won Prague eternal 2015.

"Maverick variant"? Could it be called as a "Jund variant" or "NIcfit variant" or "Lands variant"?
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Actually it's quite old construction (some changes was made like no sesmic assult or burning wish - more removal - abrupt decay, GSZ and Liliana) called 4-color Aggro Loam. Just loam / cycle lands engine with wastelands, KotRs, Confidants etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Vicar in a tutu View Post
    Hey Maverick-players, I'm not a Maverick aficionado and I have a question: Isn't Collected Company good in Maverick as a 1-2 of? I'm just curious what you guys feel about the card.
    I've been trying it for a few months and it has tested well.

So, I've been playing Legacy for about a year now. I've gone through a few different decks until settling upon Maverick and I been thoroughly enjoying it. Posted below is the list I'm running right now so feedback would be appreciated.

Dark Maverick:

Land (23):
    1x Bayou
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Dark Depths
    1x Ghost Quarter
    1x Horizon Canopy
    1x Karakas
    1x Marsh Flats
    2x Savannah
    1x Scrubland
    1x Snow-Covered Forest
    2x Snow-Covered Plains
    1x Thespian's Stage
    2x Verdant Catacombs
    3x Wasteland
    4x Windswept Heath

Creature (23):
    1x Courser of Kruphix
    4x Deathrite Shaman
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    4x Knight of the Reliquary
    4x Mother of Runes
    2x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    2x Stoneforge Mystic
    3x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

Instant (8):
    2x Abrupt Decay
    2x Collected Company
    4x Swords to Plowshares

Sorcery (4):
    4x Green Sun's Zenith

Artifact (2):
    1x Batterskull
    1x Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard (15)
    2x Choke
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    2x Oblivion Ring
    2x Rest in Peace
    1x Sword of Light and Shadow
    3x Thoughtseize
    2x Zealous Persecution

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Quote Originally Posted by Vicar in a tutu View Post
    The effect is amazing. The card is not. It costs 4 and is a spell....in a deck that wants to make spells cost more + disable spells with X and/or spells that cost 4 or higher. I find decay, zenith, and equipment to be "tolerable" under Thalia. GSZ not interacting with Teeg is sometimes costly. I can't image banking on intentionally playing this card as part of my gameplan.

If it's a miser card, then we have another discussion. I am yet to play this thing in competition. I think it's doable but would rather run a variety of cards (including 61st card) over this as #60. My most recent exploration has been SDT instead of Library and that was fantastic tbh. We'll see if top lives next week (people speculating it's getting banned). If I wanted a "homerun" card that nets me fuel, I'd go with Library or Confidants over CC.

So do we want to run Vryn Wingmare?

I was thinking of trying out this list:

Creature (27)
    4x Deathrite Shaman
    4x Mother of Runes
    1x Noble Hierarch
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Scryb Ranger
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    3x Stoneforge Mystic
    4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3x Vryn Wingmare

Sorcery (4)
    4x Green Sun's Zenith

Artifact (2)
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice

Instant (4)
    4x Swords to Plowshares

Land (23)
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Windswept Heat
    4x Wasteland
    1x Misty Rainforest
    2x Savannah
    1x Scrubland
    1x Bayou
    1x Gaea's Cradle
    1x Horizon Canopy
    1x Karakas
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Forest
    1x Plains

Sideboard (15)
    2x Abrupt Decay
    1x Bojuka Bog
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Krosan Grip
    1x Sylvan Library
    4x Thoughtseize
    3x Zealous Persecution

Thoughts? Comments? I haven't played much Maverick (just a few proxied up games). But I am no stranger to Legacy (been playing for years; have played Shardless BUG, RUG Delver, Stoneblade and ANT up to this point. All pretty extensively).

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Chaam View Post
    Hey Chaam,
    I'm quite intrigued by your list and it seems very well balanced - especially for someone who doesn't have years of tweaking Maverick lists under his belt!
    I do believe Vryn Wingmare should be tested.

Creatures (31)
    4x Deathrite Shaman
    4x Mother of Runes
    1x Dark Confidant --------------- odd ball. could be two. I wanted some more C/A.
    1x Noble Hierarch
    2x Qasali Pridemage ------------ upped to two
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Scryb Ranger
    2x Gaddock Teeg --------------- upped to two
    2x Stoneforge Mystic ----------- -1
    4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3x Vryn Wingmare

Sorcery (4)
    4x Green Sun's Zenith

Artifact (2)
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice

Instant (3)
    3x Swords to Plowshares --------- -1

Land (22) ---------------------- -1. 22 definitely is sufficient with 5 mana dorks (6 counting Arbor) and 4 additional ways to find them
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Windswept Heat
    4x Wasteland
    2x Savannah
    1x Scrubland
    1x Bayou
    1x Gaea's Cradle
    1x Horizon Canopy
    1x Karakas
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Forest
    1x Plains

Sideboard (15)
    1x Abrupt Decay ----------------- -1 (+2 QPM in the MD)
    1x Bojuka Bog
    3x Ethersworn Canonist --------- +1
    2x Choke ------------------------- +2
    1x Sylvan Library
    4x Thoughtseize
    3x Zealous Persecution

As you can see I tuned your foundation more towards a meta dominated by blue - so basically every meta :)
    Have a nice day!

If you are running new glowrider, you probably need to cut gsz and run vial instead while running the full playset of stfm.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

I agree with pointicus in the sense that you can't jam Wingmare into an existing 75 and expect it to work. You have to make some accommodations. And while you don't need to necessarily have a full playset of SFM, you definitely can't go down in count.

And, as always, Bojuka Bog is a wasted slot in the 75.

Aug 2014
    Central New York

I don't like the idea of Vryn Wingmare (lackluster overall IMO) but if I were to include him, I'd follow @pointicus an go with Vial. Zenith suffers too much. Not to mention Vryn is another non-green dude.

Thread Information