Page 329 of 428 FirstFirst ... 229279319325326327328329330331332333339379 ... LastLast
Results 6,561 to 6,580 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

@Neely

Late response I know (like 3 pages ago... lol) but I was just reading your tournament report and saw you boarded out Pridemages against storm.

Personally I like the cat more than the SFM package against them because:

-SFM is very slow in that matchup, and hitting with an equipment doesn't do a lot (it's not bad, but I don't feel it's worth the 'risk')
    -Qasali beats pretty hard, it even "hastes" for 1 a lot of the time which is relevant for Ad Naus
    -Most importantly some games you have Thalia and they start playing LED or petal and passing, you can then play pridemage, hit them for an extra 1 damage with Thalia, then blow up their mana. It also destroys dread of night if they are playing it.
    -I didn't count but I think this leaves room for your 4th mother which is pretty nice

I also like Pridemage against infect because it has game against 2/3's of their infect threats, and blows up Sylvan Library.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    @Neely

Late response I know (like 3 pages ago... lol) but I was just reading your tournament report and saw you boarded out Pridemages against storm.

-SFM is very slow in that matchup, and hitting with an equipment doesn't do a lot (it's not bad, but I don't feel it's worth the 'risk')
    -Qasali beats pretty hard, it even "hastes" for 1 a lot of the time which is relevant for Ad Naus
    -Most importantly some games you have Thalia and they start playing LED or petal and passing, you can then play pridemage, hit them for an extra 1 damage with Thalia, then blow up their mana. It also destroys dread of night if they are playing it.
    -I didn't count but I think this leaves room for your 4th mother which is pretty nice

I also like Pridemage against infect because it has game against 2/3's of their infect threats, and blows up Sylvan Library.
    I agree with you on your suggestions, I will try it out and see how it goes.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    @Neely

Batterskull is a silver bullet against Goblin tokens. If a Stormer can't empty for 14 or empty turn 1, they'll have a tough time getting around lifegain of 8 per turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    Batterskull is a silver bullet against Goblin tokens. If a Stormer can't empty for 14 or empty turn 1, they'll have a tough time getting around lifegain of 8 per turn.
    I'd be a bit more inclined to keep SFM in if we ran batterskull but neither of us (Neely and I) have it in our 75. It's also extra soft to Cabal Therapy.

You can beat most empties that aren't early just by jamming creatures (or Zealous), the reason they play it is because it's easier to "storm off" with empty before we play our hatebear. After we play one they'll probably just go for a tendrils line, which equipment isn't the greatest against (not saying Jitte gaining 4 is irrelevant, it's just slow, even BSK doesn't hit until turn 4.)

How do you guys board against Shardless? I've been having a lot of success with this deck online (sitting at 61-28 in leagues, this was my foray into legacy), but this is one match up where I've been struggling.

My list is here:
    http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/410253#online

My current plan is to bring in decays and chokes. and to take out Teeg, one QP, and a couple of Thalias.

BTW, do we really have a bad matchup against Miracles? I've heard this several times, but I'm sitting at 10-1 against them at the moment. Maybe it's just that a lot of the pilots in leagues aren't very experienced with the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by powerhawk View Post
    How do you guys board against Shardless? I've been having a lot of success with this deck online (sitting at 61-28 in leagues, this was my foray into legacy), but this is one match up where I've been struggling.

My list is here:
    http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/410253#online

My current plan is to bring in decays and chokes. and to take out Teeg, one QP, and a couple of Thalias.

BTW, do we really have a bad matchup against Miracles? I've heard this several times, but I'm sitting at 10-1 against them at the moment. Maybe it's just that a lot of the pilots in leagues aren't very experienced with the deck.
    Personnally I keep Thalia in. They hate having to pay for spells when they cascade (at least that 1 mana is something). Also, KOTR into wasteland. They are just as soft as you are to wasteland but you can fetch them whenever you think it's appropriate and you have more removal to keep the early threats at bay (I have 3 decays and 4 swords main).

Of course I still think it's an unfavorable matchup but I just won against shardless a few days ago at my local store doing just that. Oh and bring Sigarda if you have her since they can't really handle it. I just jammed a deathrite, he jammed one. I wasted and plowed agressively into early threats. Once you get to knight, if you have the board advantage, just wasteland agressively and it favors you since KOTR gets bigger than goyf.

Hi all. I'm playing Maverick GWb for a while now and I've scored multiple 4-1 in online MTGO leagues with a couple of 5-0. Yesterday I've also performed a won (final split) in a local tournament with the same list I use online. The main difference from traditional Maverick lists is that I don't run Stoneforge Mystic + equips. Here is the list:

Lands (23)
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs (online I'm playing Wooded Foothills since I don't have Catacombs, but with Catacombs I can fetch for Scrubland)
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    2 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    4 Wasteland
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    1 Horizon Canopy

Creatures (23)
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Noble Hierarch
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Courser of Kruphix
    1 The Gitrog Monster

Other(15)
    2 Garruk Relentless
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Green's Sun Zenith
    2 Sylvan Library

Sideboard (15)
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Choke
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Bojuka Bog

I designed it to have a lot of maindeck threats against Miracle (2 Sylvan Library and 2 Garruk Relentless), with some answers (3 Decay, 1 Qasali, 1 Gaddock and 3 Thalia) and a solid sideboard against it (Krosan Grip, Choke and Thoughtseize). So far I'm quite happy winning 18 single games and losing 8 (pre side board and post board, on the draw and on the play).
    I've played also against a lot of other archetypes scoring 81 wins and 36 losts, finding the only terrible match up in Sneak & Show.
    The Gitrog Monster really wins alone some match ups (Death and Taxes and other grindy MUs) and Courser of Kruphix really helps being a good card in couple with a Library or a Reliquary. I play just 3 Thalia maindeck since I have more spells than usual builds, but so far I'm pretty happy with this list. I wanted to share with you.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderPork View Post

- always better 4, if she dont die u will be a happy fellow of mana denial, since maverick is denial mechanics deck

1 Qasali Pridemage
    - awlays better 2 main, he has damage, he is low cost, u can zenith him more than 1 time, and from experience is a good thing vs many matchups

1 Courser of Kruphix
    - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmh, with no dark depths combo he do less potential, ok, its good against burn but he sucks vs all others, 2-4 for 3 mana....2 green mana....mmmm, i tried him in 2 tournaments, only good vs burns, whe u have it in hand vs combo u will always cry

1 The Gitrog Monster
    -better sigarda. u risk to go 0 lands, trust me

2 Garruk Relentless
    -maybe 1, 2 its relly much, maybe u can run 1 elspelth

1 Crop Rotation
    -no. without combo its a wasted card

http://www.hareruyamtg.com/jp/k/kD09071S/

i will 100% try tireless tracker, it has a good potential

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Is the General consensus that Cradle > DD combo? Right now my utility lands are like:
    Wastelands
    Karakas
    Cradle
    Rogues Passage

Any other lands worth picking up for niche uses? Tower of the Magistrate worth it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Tower had some game when Death & Taxes was everywhere, but there aren't really enough equip decks to bother at the moment. Pridemage handles that problem.

I like Canopy a lot, because sometimes you just want to pump a Knight and cycle.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I'm trying Tireless Tracker now; with Mother of Runes, GSZ, KotR and Gaea's Cradle in the deck it seems to fit very well. Only played one weekly tournament yet, too early to say.. (But since the subject was brought up..)

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderPork View Post
    Hi all. I'm playing Maverick GWb for a while now and I've scored multiple 4-1 in online MTGO leagues with a couple of 5-0. Yesterday I've also performed a won (final split) in a local tournament with the same list I use online. The main difference from traditional Maverick lists is that I don't run Stoneforge Mystic + equips. Here is the list:

Lands (23)
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs (online I'm playing Wooded Foothills since I don't have Catacombs, but with Catacombs I can fetch for Scrubland)
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    2 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    4 Wasteland
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    1 Horizon Canopy

Creatures (23)
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Noble Hierarch
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Courser of Kruphix
    1 The Gitrog Monster

Other(15)
    2 Garruk Relentless
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Green's Sun Zenith
    2 Sylvan Library

Sideboard (15)
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Choke
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Bojuka Bog

I designed it to have a lot of maindeck threats against Miracle (2 Sylvan Library and 2 Garruk Relentless), with some answers (3 Decay, 1 Qasali, 1 Gaddock and 3 Thalia) and a solid sideboard against it (Krosan Grip, Choke and Thoughtseize). So far I'm quite happy winning 18 single games and losing 8 (pre side board and post board, on the draw and on the play).
    I've played also against a lot of other archetypes scoring 81 wins and 36 losts, finding the only terrible match up in Sneak & Show.
    The Gitrog Monster really wins alone some match ups (Death and Taxes and other grindy MUs) and Courser of Kruphix really helps being a good card in couple with a Library or a Reliquary. I play just 3 Thalia maindeck since I have more spells than usual builds, but so far I'm pretty happy with this list. I wanted to share with you.
    Hey Thunderpork, we've played a couple times. I hate running into your list since I'm not running the Gitrog xD. I'm personally a bit scared of playing it, because I run into so much miracles and ANT in leagues.

Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Sep 2010

Why bother playing a 5-drop that's not Sigarda, Host of Herons?
    Let your Dredge 6 be: Narco, Narco, Narco, Bridge, Bridge, Dread Return

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Is the General consensus that Cradle > DD combo? Right now my utility lands are like:
    Wastelands
    Karakas
    Cradle
    Rogues Passage

Any other lands worth picking up for niche uses? Tower of the Magistrate worth it?
    better vs taxes is:

it stops crusader, good vs other matchups (lands/combo20-20/reanimator/ecc), magistrate is right now, it was playable in a full format of stoneblades.
    with ith u can even attack with reliquary and after damage resolution u can untap it ^^

1x canopy is worth
    ALWAYS

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Vandalize View Post
    Why bother playing a 5-drop that's not Sigarda, Host of Herons?
    Yeah, Sigarda or Titania seem better. Gitrog is better in a Loam variant, I think.

Lands (23)
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    2 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    4 Wasteland
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    1 Horizon Canopy

Creatures (23)
    4 Mother of Runes
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Noble Hierarch
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper

Other(15)
    1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Elspeth, Knight Errant
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Abrupt Decay
    4 Green's Sun Zenith
    2 Sylvan Library

Sideboard (15)
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Armageddon
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Crop Rotation

Tweaks to your list.

-Matt

Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Yeah, Sigarda or Titania seem better. Gitrog is better in a Loam variant, I think.

Lands (23)
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    2 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    4 Wasteland
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    1 Horizon Canopy

Creatures (23)
    4 Mother of Runes
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Noble Hierarch
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper

Other(15)
    1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Elspeth, Knight Errant
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Abrupt Decay
    4 Green's Sun Zenith
    2 Sylvan Library

Sideboard (15)
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Armageddon
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Crop Rotation

Tweaks to your list.

-Matt
    No Umezawa's Jitte? Outside of KotR, your dudes beat so soft without equipment. And Jitte auto wins against some decks if it can connect.
    Let your Dredge 6 be: Narco, Narco, Narco, Bridge, Bridge, Dread Return

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Vandalize View Post
    No Umezawa's Jitte? Outside of KotR, your dudes beat so soft without equipment. And Jitte auto wins against some decks if it can connect.
    Was tweaking his list. Id love to squeeze in a small SFM package, but dont have time to do much since #medschoolfinals

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Was tweaking his list. Id love to squeeze in a small SFM package, but dont have time to do much since #medschoolfinals
    I miss you on Thursdays #nohomo

On topic I wouldn't play Maverick with less than 4 DRS, card is absurd.

I just wanted to share with you my decklist. I won many games from nowhere with Gitrog Monster anyway, especially against D&T and Shardless BUG (and fair match ups in general).

Thread Information