Page 338 of 428 FirstFirst ... 238288328334335336337338339340341342348388 ... LastLast
Results 6,741 to 6,760 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Jul 2013
    Texas

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Nah, don't need to. Megadeus' build above already has 4 Noble, 1 Bird, 4 GSZ for first turn acceleration. You could maaybe run 6 dorks 4 GSZ but more starts getting irresponsible IMO.
    Yeah 9 ramp pieces counting GSZ is plenty. You just have to mulligan most hands that don't have acceleration.

I also think Stoneforge should stay in the deck but I know that's the popular area to cut. Thing is, first strike + Jitte is so awesome and since we're adding more first strikers, seems like we should have an equip plan as well.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Yeah 9 ramp pieces counting GSZ is plenty. You just have to mulligan most hands that don't have acceleration.

I also think Stoneforge should stay in the deck but I know that's the popular area to cut. Thing is, first strike + Jitte is so awesome and since we're adding more first strikers, seems like we should have an equip plan as well.
    I like 1 SFM, 1 Jitte, 1 Sofai. If I added another stone forge it would be at the expense of like my 2nd scavenging ooze, but I have really liked having the 2nd ooze.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by NEELEY View Post
    I took a little break from Maverick and have been playing a lot of Loam lately, not putting very many 5-0's with, only 1 i think. But now I have played maverick the last couple weeks and doing very well with, in a league currently sitting 2-0. People consider Maverick a fringe deck on MTGO because of miracles being good vs the deck. They even say things like "man people will play anything in legacy, even when its position terribly", I just laugh.

I don't see the point of the new Thalia and haven't even wanted to test her( I could be wrong).

Birds is a no go here, deff hierarch. We have scryb and mom to get through with equipments. If you aren't playing decay main you only need 2 black sources so I would change foothills to catacombs so you can get your scrubland(not in your list). 2 plains is not neede but the 2 forest I like.

I have never really tried the big threats in Maverick, I want my deck to be consistent and not get stranded with something I can't cast.

Hope this helps!
    Thank you very much for the response. After considering all the great advice I have received in this thread, my revised deck list looks like this:

Creatures:26
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Mother of Runes
    1 Noble Hierarch
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar (These may become something else after I get some experience with the deck)
    1 Tireless Tracker

Spells:12
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Lands:22
    2 Bayou
    2 Forest
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    2 Plains (one of these will become something else down the road)
    2 Savannah
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:15
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Melira, Sylvok Outcast
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Reclamation Sage
    4 Duress
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Choke

I went 4-1 in 2 different leagues over the last couple days. The first one I tried 3 decay main and it was okay, I cut the batterskull, stoneforge and pridemage. The other league I played 2 new Thalia(along with 4 of the old) and played 3 nobles with the 4 DRS. I think I loss my last round to dredge on a mulligan to 5 in game 3 and turn 2 gsz for DRS wasn't fast enough because I drew nothing but lands after. Just a couple updates that the core of the deck is strong and still wins a lot

Aug 2014
    Central New York

@Double Thalia situation: Thank you for clarifying this! Hmm maybe I should play SCG this weekend. Debating it.

Quote Originally Posted by NEELEY View Post
    I went 4-1 in 2 different leagues over the last couple days. The first one I tried 3 decay main and it was okay, I cut the batterskull, stoneforge and pridemage. The other league I played 2 new Thalia(along with 4 of the old) and played 3 nobles with the 4 DRS. I think I loss my last round to dredge on a mulligan to 5 in game 3 and turn 2 gsz for DRS wasn't fast enough because I drew nothing but lands after. Just a couple updates that the core of the deck is strong and still wins a lot
    I'd probably run something similar to Vervandi's list.

I've been away from competitive stuff maybe too long. I don't want to throw away an event and embarrass myself.
    How come lists no longer run Teeg and Sigarda 1.0? Those were auto included, but perhaps I don't understand some things nowadays.

There's potential in a pure GW list that banks on dork -> 3 drop. With double thalias, you're also capable of locking down the opponent while eating away with a small army.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    @Double Thalia situation: Thank you for clarifying this! Hmm maybe I should play SCG this weekend. Debating it.

I've been away from competitive stuff maybe too long. I don't want to throw away an event and embarrass myself.
    How come lists no longer run Teeg and Sigarda 1.0? Those were auto included, but perhaps I don't understand some things nowadays.

There's potential in a pure GW list that banks on dork -> 3 drop. With double thalias, you're also capable of locking down the opponent while eating away with a small army.
    Agree with everything you've said. My list I've posted could very easily cut red and go to straight GW and be successful I'd think. I'm on 3/3 Thalia Split, Sigarda, and Teeg. Other than miracles I've been pretty successful with the list
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

All GOOD list run Teeg, I don't know who wouldn't run Teeg with storm and miracles being some
    of the best decks in the format. The reason to play black is DRS, not playing it gives you a huge disadvantage. It would be hard to close games without him. Sigarda seems great I just never play anything other than KOTR to keep my curve low and more consistent.

Warden,

Keep in mind I am not running Teeg in main because the guys I am playing with don't run anything it would be good against. I would definitely run it main and one in the side going to some sort of real event. It's just a meta call for the small group of people I am playing with, none of which are playing Miracles.

P.S. Karakas came in today. So close to finishing the deck!

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Vervandi View Post
    Warden,

Keep in mind I am not running Teeg in main because the guys I am playing with don't run anything it would be good against. I would definitely run it main and one in the side going to some sort of real event. It's just a meta call for the small group of people I am playing with, none of which are playing Miracles.

P.S. Karakas came in today. So close to finishing the deck!
    You said someone in your group is on High Tide? G. Teeg is great in that matchup. They generally have to cast either Turnabout or Time Spiral to start really going off, and Teeg stops both. Sure, they have the answer in game 1 of Wish-->Wipe Away, but he's definitely a pain for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post
    You said someone in your group is on High Tide? G. Teeg is great in that matchup. They generally have to cast either Turnabout or Time Spiral to start really going off, and Teeg stops both. Sure, they have the answer in game 1 of Wish-->Wipe Away, but he's definitely a pain for them.
    I'll definitely keep that in mind, thanks much

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Played a couple blessed alliance tonight in my sideboard. It seems like a decent card. Got to kill a Marit Lage with it. Unfortunately my opponent made another the next turn and I died a couple turns after that because the alliance gained me 4 life too. Idk. Card seems pretty playable. Life gain, non targeted removal for true name or lage or even just a delver, hell even combat tricks.

Been doing well with my list recently, 4-0'd my last two local weekly events. Similar list I posted last page. Went up to 3 Abrupt Decay in the main and I love it - the swamp has been pulling it's weight towards casting them as well.

4 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Noble Hierarch
    4 Mother of Runes
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Stoneforge Mystic

SB

2 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Sword of War and Peace
    1 Choke
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Toxic Deluge
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Surgical Extraction

Pretty sure I don't want new Thalia or big drops or anything, just keeping it sleek and simple for the most part. Surgical has been good to me, feel like it really improves our lands matchup especially when combined with already having Shaman and Ooze. Has game against combo as well and it's just nice having instant speed interaction as a G/W deck, especially for 0 mana.

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    Been doing well with my list recently, 4-0'd my last two local weekly events. Similar list I posted last page. Went up to 3 Abrupt Decay in the main and I love it - the swamp has been pulling it's weight towards casting them as well.

-List-

Pretty sure I don't want new Thalia or big drops or anything, just keeping it sleek and simple for the most part. Surgical has been good to me, feel like it really improves our lands matchup especially when combined with already having Shaman and Ooze. Has game against combo as well and it's just nice having instant speed interaction as a G/W deck, especially for 0 mana.
    I've actually been goldfishing with various builds. If possible, I'd love to hear your logic about Thalia 2.0 before tomorrow morning.
    The times I included her in the deck, the opening lines of play were insane. However, the list needs to adapt. I've been at a crossroads of "do I go Decays or Thalia"....as @Vervandi appears to use the shell I like. I can't figure out if I like 2-3x Thalia 2.0 more than 2-3x Abrupt Decay.

Jul 2013
    Texas

I've actually been goldfishing with various builds. If possible, I'd love to hear your logic about Thalia 2.0 before tomorrow morning.
    The times I included her in the deck, the opening lines of play were insane. However, the list needs to adapt. I've been at a crossroads of "do I go Decays or Thalia"....as @Vervandi appears to use the shell I like. I can't figure out if I like 2-3x Thalia 2.0 more than 2-3x Abrupt Decay.
    I've been playing a Bant deck with 7 dorks and new Thalia and she has been pulling her weight. She makes wasteland insane and is really good against Eldrazi. If you can get a wasteland machine going and your opponent is playing fetches, watch out. I definitely think she is worth a slot here.

Regarding new Thalia it's mostly a matter of there's too many good cards for this deck and you're going to have to make sacrifices along the way - I like her, cool artwork and character too. So many cool cards I want to play like Sigarda, Planeswalkers, etc. but alas they don't fit.

The cards people are playing new Thalia instead of seem to be either the abrupt decays or the stoneforge package, but those are better against more decks I feel, and are better against miracles (and why would I want to make my miracles matchup worse). Stoneforge is a source of card advantage in a deck that lacks it. I used to have decays in the board but it literally almost came in every matchup (except storm or something - but new Thalia isn't exactly stomping on that deck either) so it's just in the maindeck now and I haven't regretted putting it there.

I don't think we need new Thalia to make Wasteland good because we already have 8 copies of Knight to do that, and eldrazi is going to have much more problems with an established Knight than a Thalia (especially because her body doesn't handle their actual threats), however I admit Sword of x/y is a feel bad in the matchup (though decay hits mimic/jitte/chalice to turn on plow, and some other stuff)

Not the best person at describing my reasoning but there it is - no pro or anything so if you feel you can make a list and rock new Thalia than you do you, she's a cool card and would love to see more of her around tbh.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

@Maharis,

New Thalia is much better in Bant because old Thalia is way more appropriate to Maverick and as Rascalyote stated, there are better options for the cost for Maverick.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Hi,

I'm looking to build into Maverick as I love the feeling of GWx decks, and my LGS has a very strong legacy scene in which I'd like to play.

Being new to the format, I obviously don't have any duals, wastelands or most staples, I'm looking to build the deck progressively with budget options (Shocks instead of duals, more lands to offset the loss of Wastelands).

Here's the list I've come up with which seems to be the most budget friendly while still being the play decently and learn the deck more and more:

1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    4 Mother of Runes
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Sylvan Library

1 Dark Depths
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    2 Godless Shrine
    1 Overgrown Tomb
    1 Plains
    2 Razorverge Thicket
    1 Swamp
    3 Temple Garden
    1 Thespian's Stage
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Choke
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Mirran Crusader
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Zealous Persecution

Do you have any suggestions to improve the mana-base, maybe some better creatures (regarding Thalia, Heretic Cathar maybe), including the Depths/Stage combo or a better sideboard.

Aug 2014
    Central New York

I'm on iPhone so this will be brief before I drive.
    Played Maverick for the first time in months. Felt soooo good.
    7 rounds today at Cuse.

I'm sitting 4-0-1 through 5 rounds. Was 4th seed at that time. I can't draw to make t8 so I have to play. I lose in 3 to the eventual 1-seed. I go into final round at 4-1-1 needing a win and can't beat shard less. Game 1 I run through him misplacing. Game 2 he toxic D's for 7 and I cannot comeback against his ridiculous top decks. Game 3 I have to mull to 5 due to "7 card no lands" and "6 cards no lands". He had the god 7 vs my poor 5. I'm frustrated I felt the my momentum leave me but also VERY pleased I can be on hiatus and not practice only to land 27th (plus was in contention for T8 the final 2 rounds). New Thalia is ridiculous. Decays were okay. SFM was pretty much MVP against my bracket all day. Worst case she drew out force of will pitching something important of theirs. I'll take 27th because I really shouldn't be salty. I had a lot of luck getting to where I finished.

Jul 2013
    Texas

So let's talk about this guy:

Green Sun's Zenith is one of my favorite cards but between this and the new Thalia I think it might be time to explore some alternative builds.

4 DRS
    4 Hierarch
    4 Thalia GoT
    4 Recruiter of the Guard
    3 Knight
    3 Thalia HC
    2 QPM
    2 Scooze
    2 SFM

4 STP
    2 equips
    2 Sylvan Library
    2 Abrupt Decay

22 lands inc. 4 wasteland

That's the obvious way to go. I think with 8 dorks Eldritch Evolution or Natural Order is also a possibility but they don't play great with old Thalia.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Green Sun's Zenith is one of my favorite cards but between this and the new Thalia I think it might be time to explore some alternative builds.
    Why not both . . . with both it would seem that you would be incredibly consistent.

Thread Information