Page 361 of 428 FirstFirst ... 261311351357358359360361362363364365371411 ... LastLast
Results 7,201 to 7,220 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I always thought stoneblade matches were interesting.
    Well, Maverick vs Death and Taxes is one of my favorites. Between their flyers, your fatties, their revokers, your pridemages, their flickerwhisps, and your sweepers--the matchup is super even and super interactive.

But I had also assumed that he was asking for a deck that is super different from his current list. Usually the "____ vs ____" deck boxes have a theme about them about two opposite philosophies or colors fighting each other.

Quote Originally Posted by TMagpie View Post
    Well, Maverick vs Death and Taxes is one of my favorites. Between their flyers, your fatties, their revokers, your pridemages, their flickerwhisps, and your sweepers--the matchup is super even and super interactive.

But I had also assumed that he was asking for a deck that is super different from his current list. Usually the "____ vs ____" deck boxes have a theme about them about two opposite philosophies or colors fighting each other.
    As far as "Evil" fair decks. THere's Shardless Leovold.

You are right, but any and all suggestions are welcome. Game play is my primary interest so your perspective on D&T is relevant. The other factors, along with factors like cost and what cards I have sitting around, will help decide between decks that meet the game play requirement.

I very much appreciate the input so far. Y'all are an accommodating bunch.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

My problem with the DnT matchup is it can quickly devolve into "who gets Jitte + Mom out first". The game is quickly over after that.

Goblins has a lot of tools to deal with a Jitte (last I checked) so that might be a good direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    My problem with the DnT matchup is it can quickly devolve into "who gets Jitte + Mom out first". The game is quickly over after that.

Goblins has a lot of tools to deal with a Jitte (last I checked) so that might be a good direction.
    I guess it depends how you define what a "good" matchup is.

For example, with DnT vs Mav, *because* the game circles around who gets Jitte/Mom first; there is an assumed trajectory that both players will be following from which you can use as the baseline when reading their lines of play. And as you circumvent the predicted lines each player traverses, you get this super mental back and forth of pre-emptive or delayed casting of spells.

Goblins is more of a grindfest where Goblin plays an aggressive control deck while maverick plays the defensive aggro deck. As Goblins durdles in peace, he is able to generate overwhelming card advantage. Maverick, on the other hand, needs to put the game away before there are too many cards drawn and too many tokens produced. This puts Maverick on the clock, but it also forces maverick to disrupt and control the board *as if* it were the control deck. Less back and forth mental magic and more about navigating most efficient lines of play.

Both are super good, and I can see how one is more interesting than the other depending on player.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

I think UR Delver would be a good opponent for a Maverick duel deck. It is a very interactive matchup, and cheaper than other delver decks since it doesn't need wasteland.

I went 2-1 with Leovold's Maverick on my weekly Legacy night.

2-0 with Grixis Delver (1-0)

2-0 with Sneak and Show (2-0)

1-2 with 4 Color Midrange: Leovold's Midrange (2-1).

I feel pretty great just GSZ with Leovold. Also I've made the notion to go back and run Bird of Paradise. I've won more games with just a BoP than with any of my other creatures because no one expects it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderknight View Post
    I feel pretty great just GSZ with Leovold.
    Does that mean no Trop? I've been wondering how well he would play without the blue land.

Quote Originally Posted by DoomRabbit View Post
    Does that mean no Trop? I've been wondering how well he would play without the blue land.
    I do run a Trop just for safety reason, but I going to try to replace it with a different land, probably going to go back to either Horizon Canopy or Maze of Ith.

Did a weekly event last night, went 1-1-1, so not too good. But it made me wonder about maze of ith.

There are some matchups where its just the best, allowing to be able to do so much. But other matchups where it just saves you a few points of damage and that's about it.

The question I have is--can Maze be a sideboard card? Like, it seems like most lists either run Maze main or don't run maze at all. For non-maze players--how do you usually deal with fast delver draws? For the maze players (like myself) could you ever see it being a sideboard card?

Did a weekly event last night, went 1-1-1, so not too good. But it made me wonder about maze of ith.

There are some matchups where its just the best, allowing to be able to do so much. But other matchups where it just saves you a few points of damage and that's about it.

The question I have is--can Maze be a sideboard card? Like, it seems like most lists either run Maze main or don't run maze at all. For non-maze players--how do you usually deal with fast delver draws? For the maze players (like myself) could you ever see it being a sideboard card?
    The card is very depending on your meta. If you feel that there's enough creatures that you can justify running the card, then go for it. Its also has the neat combat trick with Knight, however Scrub Ranger accomplish the same trick as well. Maze isn't a sideboard card intitally, if anything, you bring the card out for a better land (Bojika Bog for Etc).

Maze is good for the follwoing decks.
    Eldarzi, Infect, Delver, Maverick, DnT, Shardless, etc

Mar 2009

I cut maze of ith shortly after the printing of tnn. It just felt so lackluster after going from being one of the best cards against blade to being garbage in that matchup, and everything else features craptons of wastelands/ports. My approach to the creature matchups now is to get batterskull online so I don't die, remove creatures to which equipment is attempted to be equipped, get my own jittes/sofai's online. When it doesn't work out I just lose, but maze wasn't helping much in those situations anyway, just delaying the inevitable (and getting blown out by topdecked stifle/port/wastelands). Maze was the tits when UW stoneblade was a thing, but it has been years and the card has gotten much worse (especially now that tempo, midrange, AND control decks are all playing TNN).

What are y'all SB choices aganist Food Chain? What do you bring in/bring out?

Mar 2009

+2 Canonist, +2 Decay -1 Teeg, -1 Thalia, -1 Mom (g charm, deluge etc), -1 Noble Hierarch.

From zenith version.

Just saw this list on MTGgoldfish and it's interesting. Would like to read some opinions about their sideboard tech (enlightened tutor + some toolboxy enchantments and artifacts)

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/533519#paper

On the gaea's cradle topic, I don't see any reason not to run it. Cradle + equipments/tracker/ooze is insane (plus, you tend to go low on lands thanks to wasteland, so having some creatures but 2 lands is not unreasonable)

Also, any consensus about basic swamp? My budget can't afford a second bayou but I feel like I need more black sources (too many times where I couldn't cast decay or zealous persecution)

One more thing, does someone know good maverick gameplay videos? I usually learn a lot by watching other people play and comment their plays. Sadly, channelfireball has nothing.

Mar 2009

Just went 3-2 in a league,coming off of a 4-1 from the other day:

Miracles: 2-1
    Grixis Reanimator: 2-0
    BUG Delver: 0-2
    Aggro Loam: 0-2 (bad variance here)
    Burn: 2-0

To answer above points:

1) E Tutor board: it can be awesome if you want better answers to more stuff, but generally weak vs the top decks. Better to have more focused approach with 2 ofs or 3 ofs vs Delver and Miracles and stuff.

2) Basic Swamp: I would recommend against it, but you can always change your deck to become more junk-like (bobs, thoughtseizes main, 3-4 decays main), and it isn't so bad. It casts only deathrite shaman otherwise, and that it just bad.

3) Videos:

http://tcdecks.net/results_videos.ph...ormat=Noformat

Enjoy!

I am thinking about putting something together like thrabenuniversity.com but for Maverick. Would anyone be interested in that? Basically just a hub of Maverick content ranging from history to articles to an extensive coverage section. Maybe it can be called "The Reliquary" or something like that lol

Well, I'm also playing maindeck decay so it can cast that too. I agree that it's probably not worth it though.

If you have time to do it, I would definitely read something like thraben university for maverick.

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Basic swamp often feels bad, especially if it's in a non-DRS opening hand.

If you want one more GB source try an Overgrown Tomb. If you only have one shockland in the deck to worry about it's easy to play accordingly. You can fetch it first at the end of an opponent's turn like a Modern player or just be happy that you only have to pay the 2 life once per game; it's not bad like a blue shockland is when playing Daze.

Or if you don't have a Scrubland you can get one of those about half the price of a Bayou.

Mar 2009

Yes, actually the ideal manabase for a zenith version is close to this:

2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    4 Windswept
    4 Verdant
    4 Waste
    1 Karakas
    1 Horizon
    1 Gaea's Cradle

Only need 1 bayou

Mar 2009

Went 3-2 in another league.

UR Delver: 2-0
    Elves: 0-2
    Shardless BUG: 2-1
    Jund: 2-1
    Miracles (Sam Roukas): 1-2

Almost got there g3 v miracles, but a Terminus followed by Mentor into entreat for 3 sealed the deal for him.

Thread Information