Page 370 of 428 FirstFirst ... 270320360366367368369370371372373374380420 ... LastLast
Results 7,381 to 7,400 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    My personal meta is getting a bit overrun by BUG decks so I'm breaking out NOverick. Prog and Wurm the best two targets probably?
    When has getting a Daze into a Natural Order been an effective strategy vs BUG?) I'd say that most BUG decks are very grindy, and 1-for-2 cards (like Sylvan Library, Tireless Tracker) show good results vs them, while 2-for-1 (Natural Order, Force of Will) are quite bad.
    Last edited by aspsnake; 02-22-2017 at 07:39 AM.
    To make a prairie, it takes a clover and one bee. One clover, a bee, and revery...

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

There's also a fair amount of non blue BG and such around. It's just the way to go over the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

There's also a fair amount of non blue BG and such around. It's just the way to go over the top.
    I see your excitement, but I have to state that the times when Natural Order into Progenitus were amazing are long ago. With Terminus and Council's Judgement played in a considerable percentage of decks, from Miracles and Bant Post to Death & Taxes and Bant Stoneblade (at least in sideboard), it has lost its "I pull it off - I win" thing. Not to say it's rather slow (t5 win at best, I believe?) :p

It's also disrupted by popular Containment Priest and Gaddock Teeg, not to mention that many decks can win before turn 5.

But if you have any success with NOverick, let us know, times proves us wrong time to time ;)
    To make a prairie, it takes a clover and one bee. One clover, a bee, and revery...

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

My favorite way to go over the top of BUG decks is Stage/Depths.

Perhaps Lightning Greaves could be effective as a way to protect Knight for a couple turns while he sets up the combo then give Lage haste, or perhaps running a Crop Rotation package to turbo out the Marit Lage?

Greaves should be good vs miracles giving each creature haste

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Aug 2014
    Central New York

My personal meta is getting a bit overrun by BUG decks so I'm breaking out NOverick. Prog and Wurm the best two targets probably?
    I would go more towards hate cards and stuff that's naturally strong against BUG: DD/Stage (okay), Scryb Ranger (pro-blue is big, the lines of play it does with Knight and Mom are very strong against BUG), Wilt-Leaf, Mirran Crusader, etc.
    NO would be a tough call -- as BUG is going high counters and low with discard. The solution is to play shit that messes them up (RIP, anti-blue, anti discard, nukes their mana) or straight ignores their plan (ie, shroud, pro-colors).

I would also advocate for Sanctum Prelate -- as it shuts down a chunk of their "problem" cards like X=1, 3, or 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    I would go more towards hate cards and stuff that's naturally strong against BUG: DD/Stage (okay), Scryb Ranger (pro-blue is big, the lines of play it does with Knight and Mom are very strong against BUG), Wilt-Leaf, Mirran Crusader, etc.
    NO would be a tough call -- as BUG is going high counters and low with discard. The solution is to play shit that messes them up (RIP, anti-blue, anti discard, nukes their mana) or straight ignores their plan (ie, shroud, pro-colors).

I would also advocate for Sanctum Prelate -- as it shuts down a chunk of their "problem" cards like X=1, 3, or 4.
    Pelate on 0 is also good against Shardless, as it prevents their way of recovering from the 1:1 trades.

jtw11632 on MTGO

Aug 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    My favorite way to go over the top of BUG decks is Stage/Depths.

Perhaps Lightning Greaves could be effective as a way to protect Knight for a couple turns while he sets up the combo then give Lage haste, or perhaps running a Crop Rotation package to turbo out the Marit Lage?
    Greaves makes any creature into a must answer. Either that or force them to 2 for 1 themselves by killing Greaves and then the dude. It seems like more and more ppl have been cutting Batterskull, in that case the "I win" I move to might be the DD combo. I have never tried it so I don't know how OP broken it feels. I feel like Greaves is worth testing out (esp in a NO build too). I mean isn't Hexproof style stuff why so many of us run Sylvan Safekeeper in addition to Mom? I know I run it as a "hastey" Mom protection saver, and Mom is more a "force through blocks" too. Dunno.

I have played 3 outta my 5 league matches (work is busy busy) so I haven't had a ton of time to test. So far I have been very pleased with Abzan Beastmaster. I know we are really tight on 3 drops as it is, which makes it harder to justify him. I know he has been a gem in sideboard games where we go late and grind for a while. Being able to draw free cards vs something like Death & Taxes, or a free draw vs. like a Delver stalled on X/2's. He digs super deep in those games when he lives. I may start running Mirri's Guile again just to see how the "upkeep" synergy plays with our fetch effects. I know I have more then once just started cracking Knight lands to filter the deck a bunch in even matches to draw into more action. Being able to see three cards, draw the best, shuffle the others away and draw a fresh card... seems very strong in grindy matches. Almost feels like we are playing Blue ;)

What exactly are you cutting for Beastmaster? I'm running 2x Sylvan Library atm and could be considering going 1:1 split if he is that good.

Also, Mirri's Guile seems interesting in the current meta of Leovolds.
    Last edited by Cpt-Qc; 02-23-2017 at 02:31 PM.

jtw11632 on MTGO

Aug 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt-Qc View Post
    What exactly are you cutting for Beastmaster? I'm running 2x Sylvan Library atm and could be considering going 1:1 split if he is that good.
    I am at work so I don't have the full build on me. I am running the Vial version, 3SFM 3 EQ. 2 Qasali, 2 Scryb, 2 Revoker, no Teeg main. I don't think I am running any Library type effects right now. I made Beastmaster a 2x of in my current league run. I feel like against combo the 3 drops don't matter as much (we need Thalia & disruption) but against fair decks he has been nice. I have been thinking about the 1:1 split on him and a Mirri's Guile/Library (I think he plays nicer with Guile, and it's cheaper). I don't recall if I have a Scooze main. If I were to try and pull of the top of my head...

22 lands (no arbor)
    11 spells
    4 Vial, 4 Swords, 3 Equipment
    28 dudes (iirc)
    2 Scryb Ranger, 2 Qasali, 3 SFM, 4 Kotr, 4 Mom, 1 Safekeeper, 3 Thalia, 2 Revoker, 4 DRS, 1 NHierarch, 2 Beastmaster

Here I just had a thought. I might suggest something crazy but here goes: Could we not play Vryn Wingmare as a 1 or 2 of? It seems it would be much better in Maverick than it was for it's brief time in DnT since we can reliably get her out T2. We could really use more flyers and it helps our lackluster taxing plan. Has it even been tested?

It's probably better in the vial version but I think there's something to do with this pegasus.

Quote Originally Posted by oSeabass View Post
    So far I have been very pleased with Abzan Beastmaster.
    I'm currently testing 2 Tireless Trackers in my Vial list and having quite some success with them online, will go to a local Legacy event soon and report how it went. Given a bit of time, they with Knight and Gaea's Cradle just wreck fair decks . And, unlike Beastmaster, it's another fatty

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Went 3-1 to get a bye for Saturday Quarterly win a mox with NOverick. Only lost to bad miracles man because he drew very well. But NO won me a game against DnT, a game against Junk Pod Nic Fit, and a game against Mono Red Sneak attack. Might play it Saturday. Deck is basically the normal shell but Teeg in the side, a 6th mana dork, a couple Fauna Shaman, 3 GSZ, 3 Knight, no stoneforge package and 3 NO with Wurm and Prog main.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Went 3-1 to get a bye for Saturday Quarterly win a mox with NOverick. Only lost to bad miracles man because he drew very well. But NO won me a game against DnT, a game against Junk Pod Nic Fit, and a game against Mono Red Sneak attack. Might play it Saturday. Deck is basically the normal shell but Teeg in the side, a 6th mana dork, a couple Fauna Shaman, 3 GSZ, 3 Knight, no stoneforge package and 3 NO with Wurm and Prog main.
    Could you pls share a list?

I'm coming from Death & Taxes and am trying out Maverick with Vials. I wanted to splash green for pridemage and rallier and black for turn 1 interaction in the form of discard.

I am testing without Deathrite as he has anti-synergy with KoR, Vials and Revokers (who often names Deathrite).

I have a heavy focus on winning equipment wars (rallier, pridemage, revoker) and mana denial (revoker, ports, rallier).

I'm hoping it is good, but have only a small sample size yet.

Creatures:27
    4 Mother of Runes
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    3 Renegade Rallier

Spells:10
    4 AEther Vial
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Lands:23
    1 Forest
    1 Karakas
    4 Marsh Flats
    1 Plains
    4 Rishadan Port
    2 Savannah
    2 Scrubland
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard:15
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Surgical Extraction
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Choke
    1 Garruk Relentless

Quote Originally Posted by autonom View Post
    I'm coming from Death & Taxes and am trying out Maverick with Vials. I wanted to splash green for pridemage and rallier and black for turn 1 interaction in the form of discard.

I am testing without Deathrite as he has anti-synergy with KoR, Vials and Revokers (who often names Deathrite).

I have a heavy focus on winning equipment wars (rallier, pridemage, revoker) and mana denial (revoker, ports, rallier).
    Tbh, splashing green/black doesn't add much to D&T as much as it takes away the manabase consistency.

Playing Maverick is another story though. Few things:

1) DRS is bonkers. He has absolutely no anti-synergy with vial and you really need him in games when you don't draw vial. I would play DRS over Revoker any day.

2) Scryb Ranger is bonkers too. Synergy with Mom & Knight is insane, and the thing has flying.

3) Ports are just not viable with 3 colors. Maybe 1, but I'd say play 0.

You might enjoy playing BW taxes deck though :)

Quote Originally Posted by autonom View Post

I'm hoping it is good, but have only a small sample size yet.
    That's a false anti-synergy.

While Knight wants lands in the yard, and Deathrite takes them away, both of those cards are good at winning the game, and together they can win quite quickly. They can give you plenty of mana, search up Wastelands, and hate on the yard. When you're done doing that, they combine to create a scary fast clock.

The cost of shrinking Knight by 1 is mostly irrelevant.

And asp is right. Scryb is very good with tapping creatures, and Port is too clunky for this deck.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Playing NOverick at the win a Mox. Got a bye. Wish me luck:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Birds of Paradise
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Fauna Shaman
    3 Mother of Runes
    1 Progenitus
    1 Worldspine Wurm

4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Abrupt Decay
    3 Natural Order
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Sylvan Library

2 Savannah
    2 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    4 Wasteland
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Dryad Arbor

Sideboard undecided as of an hour before the event

Playing NOverick at the win a Mox. Got a bye. Wish me luck:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Birds of Paradise
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Fauna Shaman
    3 Mother of Runes
    1 Progenitus
    1 Worldspine Wurm

4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Abrupt Decay
    3 Natural Order
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Sylvan Library

2 Savannah
    2 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    4 Wasteland
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Dryad Arbor

Sideboard undecided as of an hour before the event
    Love your list! Good luck! :)

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

That NOverick list looks fun as hell, hopefully I can catch you on the stream today. I was unfortunately unable to make the drive down to Atlanta this morning

What's the Fauna Shaman for, purely to get Progenitus or Worldspine Wurm shuffled back into your library if you happen to draw them?

Thread Information