Page 41 of 428 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

Report from OvinoSex Legacy tournament in Milan (382 players).
    My List:

4 Windswepth Heat
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Flooded Strand
    3 Horizon Canopy
    3 Wasteland
    3 Savannah
    1 Driad Arbor
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    2 Forest
    1 Plains

4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

4 Mother of Runes
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Aven Mindcensor
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Terravore
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine

Sideboard:
    3 Mindbreak Trap
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Null Rod
    1 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Choke
    1 Serenity
    1 Bojuka Bog

Round 1: Spiral Tide 1-2
    Game 1: I GSZ for Teeg and smash him down to 4, then he bounces Teeg and closes. 0-1

-4 Stoneforge Mystic -3 equipments -2 StP
    +3 Mindbreak Trap +3 Enlightened Tutor + Thorn of Amethyst+ Ethersworn Canonist + Choke

Game 2: I land Thorn, Teeg, Canonist and win. 1-1
    Game 3: Mulligan, GSZ for Teeg, he bounces him, then counters my Mindbreak Trap. 1-2
    0-1-0

Round 2: Stoneblade 2-0
    Don’t remember exactly, I smashed him quite easily.
    1-1-0

Round 3: Reanimator 2-1
    Game 1: Cannot remove turn 2 Jin-Jitaxian. 0-1

-4 MoR –Thrun –Terravore –Stoneforge Mystic -Jitte -Sword
    +3 Enlightened Tutor +Tormod's Crypt +Wheel of Sun and Moon +Thorn of Amethyst + Phyrexian Metamorph +Choke +Bojuka Bog

Game 2: Turn 2 Thorn and Wasteland, Wasteland again, Ooze stops his following moves. 1-1
    Game 3: Tutor into Crypt, then Censor against Entomb, the he scoops to Wheel of Sun and Moon. 2-1
    2-1-0

Round 4: Sneak and Show 0-2
    Game 1: T2 Emrakul. 0-1

-4 MoR –Thrun -Terravore
    +3Enlightened Tutor +Phyrexian Metamorph +Choke + Thorn of Amethyst

Game 2: he counters Teeg and lands Sneak Attack into Emrakul + Progenitus. 0-2
    2-2-0

Round 5: UGR CounterTop 2-0
    Game 1: he lands countertop and is able to counter a Knight revealing Firespout, then I bypass the lock with GSZ. 1-0

+Choke +Serenity +Null Rod
    -Ooze –Stoneforge Mystic –Sword

Game 2: Countertop and Clique are the only things I see and they’re quite useless. 2-0
    3-2-0

Round 6: Merfolk 2-0
    Quite easy.
    -Thrun -Mindcensor
    +Choke +Null Rod
    4-2-0

Round 7: UGR Tempo 1:2
    Game 1: I land a lot of mana and my guys are fatter. 1-0

-Thrun -2 Stoneforge Mystic -Sword
    +2 Enlightened Tutor +Thorn +Choke

Game 2: he starts with Goose and is able to stop almost everything. 1-1
    Game 3: I mull 2 times, land a 6/6 Terravore, he steal it with that control creature for U with cumulative upkeep, then I sacrifice my Pridemage to get it back but he stifles it. 1-2
    4-3-0

Round 8: Zoo 2-0
    Quite easy, sided Teeg for Canonist just to avoid disadvantage.
    5-3-0

Round 9: Affinity 2-1
    Game 1: I cannot stop Etched Champion with Cranial Plating. 0-1

-4 MoR
    +2 Enlightened Tutor +Serenity +Null Rod

Game 2: Early Jitte kills all his robots. 1-1
    Game 3: Had to mull down to 3 (! first time in my life at a tournament) but I land a turn 2 Null Rod and am able to win. 2-1
    6-3-0

I’m quite satisfied with the deck. Sword of Feast and Famine was the useless card of the day, I never fetched for it and when I drew it probably everything else could have been better. Maybe I’ll switch to SoFaI or SoLaS.

I’m very satisfied with the sideboard. I expected a lot of Spiral Tides and Reanimators and I was right. I think all matchups I found were winnable with the deck.

What do you think about the right number of Enlightened Tutor? I ended for 3 because where side is relevant usually I want it right from the beginning. I never drew 2 tutors in the same game, anyway.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I have been using 2 Tutors for the longest time, but it looks like in your list you have a heavy reliance on Silver Bullets. In this case it makes sense to put a 3rd Tutor in the SB to help that plan. Any reason why you didn't put Pithing Needle in the sideboard, now that MM is out of the metagame?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Dis iz da WAAAGH!
    Jan 2007
    Chicagoland

About Ensnaring Bridge: I brought it in twice in SCG Indy yesterday. Once against Show and Tell, but I didn't get it games 2 and 3, and once against Merfolk. On his turn 4 I had Bridge on board with one card in hand, he had two lords and he never attacked again. He told me that he boarded out every way he could deal with it. Eventually I resolved Jitte and GSZ X=4 and grabbed Sylvan Ranger. I swung in twice but Jitte's trigger got stifled both times. It got dismembered and that game went to time as my Hierarchs were not able to crack his wall of fish. Even if the match was untimed I still had more GSZ left in my library than he had hard counters in his deck. Game 1 I had two MoR and rode Ranger+Jitte to a win in that one.

I boarded in Leyline of Sanctity against Show and Tell and it was amazing. It is a little known fact that Intuition can not be played when you have hexproof because Intuition targets the opponent. The person I was playing was running Painter as his second wincon, so it became even more relevant.

My equipments were 1 Batterskull 2 Jitte. I've been so unhappy with any of the swords that I doubled up on Jitte. It is cheaper, does more, drawing it naturally was always welcomed, I don't have to connect tot he dome for a use, and I can get benefit on defense as well as offense. Its just the better equipment.
    DCI Lvl II Judge

The one and only Incurable Ham
    Apr 2010
    Columbus, OH

CorpT, what is the gameplan against Gobbos? Just SFM for a Jitte/SoFI as soon as possible? I haven't played it much since it was non-existent during the MM era.

I have not been running an E.Tutor package in my board, but with the new metagame I feel like it is necessary now. How is this? Anything obvious I'm missing? I have a Teeg and Thrun main.

SB:
    2 PtE
    2 K.Grip
    2 Choke
    2 E.Tutor
    1 Dueling Grounds
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    1 Stony Silence
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Loaming Shaman/Bojuka Bog/Pithing Needle/Nevermore/anything cool

Goblins was pretty easy actually. Batterskull and Jitte combined with Mother of Runes is a lot of hate for them. One thing that came up that was incredibly important was stopping his Ports. I had an Enlightened Tutor in hand and it felt like he kept the Wasteland/Port hand. He attacked into my Mom with his Lackey and I traded. Then, during my turn, he ported my Plains, so I used the Tutor to get a Needle, drew the Needle, played my land and played the Needle. He kept played Ports after that and it was a very good call.

Other than that, it was generally pretty easy. Keep their Piledrivers from getting out of hand, save Mom for when you need it and get a Jitte/Batterskull/SoFaI active.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I've found in testing that the Reanimator matchup is pretty good for this deck. With access to Karakas, StP effects, and Scavenging Ooze, this deck is well equipped against Reanimator. I'm hoping there's a lot of band-wagoners in my tournament tomorrow so I can soul-crush them with Maverick.

I've adapted with 3 Mother of Runes and 2 Aven Mincensor where previously were Mental Missteps and BoP. We'll see how I end up doing...
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Ended up dispatching 2 Reanimator decks along the way to 5-0-2 yesterday. Mindcensors worked pretty well in shutting off fetching/Entombing while providing a flying blocker for Sphinx of the Steel Wind + Mom. Happy with the maindeck right now, just a few tweaks as needed for the sideboard in anticipation of the decks I would face.

Maindeck

4 Windswept Heath
    2 Misty Rainforest
    4 Savannah
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    2 Horizon Canopy
    4 Wasteland
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    1 Dryad Arbor

4 Noble Hierarch
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    3 Mother of Runes
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Aven Mindcensor
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Terravore
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Thrun the Last Troll

4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire/Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Silence
    2 Choke
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Sword of Light/Shadow
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Serenity
    West side
    My Legacy stream

The one and only Incurable Ham
    Apr 2010
    Columbus, OH

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    Ended up dispatching 2 Reanimator decks along the way to 5-0-2 yesterday. Mindcensors worked pretty well in shutting off fetching/Entombing while providing a flying blocker for Sphinx of the Steel Wind + Mom. Happy with the maindeck right now, just a few tweaks as needed for the sideboard in anticipation of the decks I would face.

Decklist
    Nice job! Did you ever want the 4th Mom or the 3rd Mindscensor? How was the Terravore and Thrun? I have a similar maindeck (although i haven't played magic since school started back up) but my SB is pretty different. Did you use the Silences or Maze of Ith?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by TossUsToLions View Post
    Nice job! Did you ever want the 4th Mom or the 3rd Mindscensor? How was the Terravore and Thrun? I have a similar maindeck (although i haven't played magic since school started back up) but my SB is pretty different. Did you use the Silences or Maze of Ith?
    I never wanted the 4th Mom - there's too many combo decks in my metagame to warrant 1/1 do nothings. Mindcensor is fine, but I don't ever feel like I want to cast him, only when I'm on the draw and against an active fetchland. I would rather get a Knight out anyway, or SFM/other 2cc threat against Daze.

Silence was a concession to my combo metagame, and I brought that in against Reanimator sometimes in order to buy a turn or two. I found that against the slower combo decks I'm always a turn behind, and Silence allows me to interact with them. It's also a way to interact with Elves and stop their combo cold. Maze was boarded in against the Reanimator matchup as it buys soooo much time to get some answers for their Fat.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by Maëlig View Post
    I played a light blue splash for SB cards only (pierce, submerge and meddling mage), which was amazing. This gave me an edge in every single MU except vs merfolk, which is already a very good MU anyways.
    When you brought Meddling Mage in against Merfolk, what did you name? Dismember? Care to share your exact list?

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by Leftconsin View Post
    About Ensnaring Bridge: I brought it in twice in SCG Indy yesterday. Once against Show and Tell, but I didn't get it games 2 and 3, and once against Merfolk. On his turn 4 I had Bridge on board with one card in hand, he had two lords and he never attacked again. He told me that he boarded out every way he could deal with it. Eventually I resolved Jitte and GSZ X=4 and grabbed Sylvan Ranger. I swung in twice but Jitte's trigger got stifled both times. It got dismembered and that game went to time as my Hierarchs were not able to crack his wall of fish. Even if the match was untimed I still had more GSZ left in my library than he had hard counters in his deck. Game 1 I had two MoR and rode Ranger+Jitte to a win in that one.
    I've been doing the same. Ensnaring Bridge buys time, especially if your opponent removed/didn't sideboard in artifact hate (especially if you don't run a stoneforge package or they didn't see it game 1). As far as getting around it, it's not too bad - either attack with something small and use exhalted triggers or use Jitte. Jitte + Bridge (esp. with Ranger) = beatstick. Remember, you'll draw a card at the beginning of your turn, then you can attack with a 1/1 and then play your card so your opponent can't attack. Also, if you are facing big creatures, you can hold a few cards in hand and your guys can get through, perhaps via mom protection, and then their guys still can't attack. Beware of the cracking their standstill to make you draw or Ancestral Visioning you to get under the bridge.

Why no Mirran Crusaders? I realize they don't do well against red (lavamancer, lightning bolt), but they combo amazingly with Jitte, get around 'Goyf, and can't be targeted by Dismember, Ghastly Demise, GFTT, and Snuff Out.

Feb 2011
    Barcelona, Spain

Hi, I play this deck a few months ago and I want to sahre with you some doubts with the list.

- I see that all of you are playing with Batterskull, really it's a good choice for this deck? Don't you want allways an Equipment that make better your creatures? Why do you want a creature with cmc 5 that if you draw without stoneforge on the battlefield is so bad?

- Thrun is really necessary? I think the tempo decks like Canadian or Team America will appear due to combo, but i think we can win this decks without it.

- Aven Mindcensor, I don't like it, it's good only in your first 7 cards, playing Noble/Zenith for 0 on first turn and keeping mana-opened so it smells that I have the card...

Please feel free to gave me your opinions, I am talking about my experience...

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

Newcomers, welcome but please read the past page of the thread, often the answers you need are already written.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    Why no Mirran Crusaders? I realize they don't do well against red (lavamancer, lightning bolt), but they combo amazingly with Jitte, get around 'Goyf, and can't be targeted by Dismember, Ghastly Demise, GFTT, and Snuff Out.
    Crusaders are amazing with equipments, but less spectacular otherwise. The point is that every creature is a bomb with an equipment: when you have a creature equipped you’re in a winning position in any case, while when you don’t have equipments there are better options than Crusader. cost can occasionally be bad too.

Quote Originally Posted by haku View Post
    Hi, I play this deck a few months ago and I want to sahre with you some doubts with the list.

- I see that all of you are playing with Batterskull, really it's a good choice for this deck? Don't you want allways an Equipment that make better your creatures? Why do you want a creature with cmc 5 that if you draw without stoneforge on the battlefield is so bad?

- Thrun is really necessary? I think the tempo decks like Canadian or Team America will appear due to combo, but i think we can win this decks without it.

- Aven Mindcensor, I don't like it, it's good only in your first 7 cards, playing Noble/Zenith for 0 on first turn and keeping mana-opened so it smells that I have the card...

Please feel free to gave me your opinions, I am talking about my experience...
    Batterskull + Stoneforge Mystic is crazy, Wizards had to ban Mystic from everywhere but Legacy and Vintage because of that. Turn 3 4/4 lifelink+vigilance is quite frequent, often with protection for the Mystic, and quite devastating. If oppo immediately burns Mystic, you have +1 card advantage anyway.
    Hardcasting Batterskull a bit later is not so difficult with all our mana acceleration.

Thrun is for control, and it really shines there. I beat Deedstill game 1 in my last tournament thanks to GSZ into Thrun: it’s much harder without him.

Aven Mindcensor is awesome. It gives everybody playing fetchlands (i.e. all but Merkfolks, more or less) an average 50% probability to crack their fetchlands into nothing. It makes their Entomb, Intuition, Infernal Tutor, Merchant Scroll, Stoneforge Mystic, Green Sun's Zenith, Natural Order… almost useless. Sometimes you can beat storm game 1 thanks to him.
    At worst, it’s the best flyer in our deck. Flash can be very relevant too.
    Edit – you’re aware that its tutoring limitation effect is permanent, not CIP, right?

@Ruckus
    I like the four Wastelands in your manabase, I’ll add one too removing one Canopy. I prefer 7 fetchlands and 3 Savannahs however, in order to have a slightly better chance to fetch basics when needed and also to fatten Knights and ‘vore.

I like your sideboard too. As a slight improvement, you could use Orim's Chant in place of Silence: if you side in them against Reanimator they can save you a turn even if you draw them after they reanimated.

Couple of questions about your sideboard:
    • Sword of Light and Shadow? When does it make the difference?
    • Path to Exile? Reanimator and Merfolk, or also other usages?
    • You seem a bit light of GY hate (just a Bog). What about your Dredge matchup?

Edit – I’m wondering about Sylvan Library. How often do you use it to draw extra cards? Maybe it could be worth to try Mirri's Guile. It can be landed earlier than the Library, profiting by your early shuffle effects (I suppose you usually play Library starting from turn 4-5, after some creatures, correct? Before, you risk to spend a critical turn doing nothing. Mirri's Guile can be played early game together with something else).
    Last edited by Morte; 10-11-2011 at 06:27 PM.

May 2006
    Philippines

Hello
    Just wondering.., have you guys seen any maverick decks made it into the top 8 or 16 after misstep was banned ?

With all the following decks below becoming very prominent in the meta is maverick still a good choice for the said meta??
    snapcaster decks => will rain removals
    zoo => too fast and has tons of removals
    rock / junk => sweepers and discards
    strom combo decks => a bad MU

Some of my thoughts and experience on the following.
    @aven mindcensor
    is really good but i feel that if you play him its a 4 off card to benefit from its use a late game aven is crappy and is just a 2/1 vanilla flyer.. after testing him over and over i decided not to play him at all. I will not deny that he will have a big impact when you are able to land him at the right time, thats why i feel its a 4 off if you play him.

@mirran
    i picked him over aven bec he is more consistent over aven in the sense it doesn't need any time to shine. the protection it has is very very good aswell. they both have pro's and cons i just felt that mirran was the better choice as it was an excellent finisher, built-in protection from some of the common cards played in the meta then.

Yes the casting cost seems taxing but i had no problem casting them.

It's only been 10 days since Misstep was banned and things are still pretty in flux, so I certainly wouldn't get hyper about the first wave of events, but yeah, Maverick has placed:

http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...1&iddeck=50120
    http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...1&iddeck=50120
    http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...6&iddeck=50094

No top 8s for Maverick this time in the big big events that have happened, SCG Nashville and SCG Indianapolis, but hey, the most magnificent finishes tended to be in Europe before too. I'm looking forward to seeing some good finishes for it in the big events to come.

Just have to wrap our heads and our builds around the new meta. Many decks didn't have to change much post-Misstep, or simply had the liberty of reverting to an earlier, cleaner build.

Whereas Maverick will need to fine-tune the adjustments and little inclusions, as always.

I think it has great chances.

If there's enough aggression maindeck good Maverick builds tend to have a very good match-up against Zoo, against Junk, and against Rock, in my experience.

http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...4&iddeck=48542 <---- Note the 1st place finish out of 318, and note the 3 Mirran Crusaders maindeck.

In regards to Aven Mindcensor, I also like what that deck did, with just 2 Aven Mindcensors in the board. Something to think about.

What we should think about is the Thresh aggro-control lists (lots of instants -- Stifle, lightning bolts, counterspells; some typical creatures being Delver, Nimble Mongoose, Goyf, Grim Lavamancer)that are coming out in style. My testing suggests this is a tough match-up on the face, but even or in Maverick's favor if the build is right, and, moreso, you know how to play against it. It's extremely important to make good plays and not overextend in this match.

It's only been 10 days since Misstep was banned and things are still pretty in flux, so I certainly wouldn't get hyper about the first wave of events, but yeah, Maverick has placed:

http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...1&iddeck=50114 (1st place)
    http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...1&iddeck=50120 (7th place)
    http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...6&iddeck=50094 (2nd place)

It didn't place in the SCG Nashville and SCG Indianapolis, but hey, the most magnificent Maverick finishes were from European pilots before too. I'm looking forward to seeing some good finishes for it in the big events to come.

Just have to wrap our heads and our builds around the new meta. Many decks didn't have to change much post-Misstep, or simply had the liberty of reverting to an earlier, cleaner build.

Whereas Maverick will need to fine-tune the adjustments and little inclusions, as always.

I think it has great chances.

If there's enough aggression maindeck good Maverick builds tend to have a very good match-up against Zoo, against Junk, and against Rock, in my experience.

http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...4&iddeck=48542 <---- Note the 1st place finish out of 318, and note the 3 Mirran Crusaders maindeck.

In regards to Aven Mindcensor, I also like what that deck did, with just 2 Aven Mindcensors in the board. Something to think about.

What we should think about is the Thresh aggro-control lists (lots of instants -- Stifle, lightning bolts, counterspells; some typical creatures being Delver, Nimble Mongoose, Goyf, Grim Lavamancer)that are coming out in style. My testing suggests this is a tough match-up on the face, but even or in Maverick's favor if the build is right, and, moreso, you know how to play against it. It's extremely important to make good plays and not overextend in this match.

edit to add:

[quote]
    I see that all of you are playing with Batterskull, really it's a good choice for this deck? Don't you want allways an Equipment that make better your creatures? Why do you want a creature with cmc 5 that if you draw without stoneforge on the battlefield is so bad?
    Batterskull is awesome. It gets hardcast or hard-equipped a lot more than you think, haha. Very possible in a longer game, in which case it will probably turn the tide. But more to the point, the benefit of that one slot is rather excellent -- the amount of aggressive leverage when you complete the early play with Stoneforge is a game-winning include. You won't draw it often and it's not a bad draw because you can sneak it out with Stoneforge (and fetch something else if you're casting him) even if you drew it.

That said, do keep in mind that choosing batterskull as your fetch turn 2 is a bit more dangerous nowadays because Stoneforge gets bolted.

Crusaders are amazing with equipments, but less spectacular otherwise.
    I think the really nice thing is protection from green. Mirran Crusader is an include that improves the aggro match-up. One problem lately is they're getting lightning bolted a lot more often than pre-Misstep, but this isn't a problem particular to Crusader.

Aven Mindcensor is awesome. It gives everybody playing fetchlands (i.e. all but Merkfolks, more or less) an average 50% probability to crack their fetchlands into nothing. It makes their Entomb, Intuition, Infernal Tutor, Merchant Scroll, Stoneforge Mystic, Green Sun's Zenith, Natural Order… almost useless. Sometimes you can beat storm game 1 thanks to him.
    He's awesome ... I sure wish his cmc wasn't 3 though. I guess that would be too much to ask. :P

I sometimes win game 1 vs. Storm but it's usually because of Gaddock and Mother of Runes and Wasteland.

I think the biggest argument for having some quantity of Aven Mindcensor available either maindeck or board, is still vs. Natural Order.

I’m wondering about Sylvan Library. How often do you use it to draw extra cards? Maybe it could be worth to try Mirri's Guile. It can be landed earlier than the Library, profiting by your early shuffle effects (I suppose you usually play Library starting from turn 4-5, after some creatures, correct? Before, you risk to spend a critical turn doing nothing. Mirri's Guile can be played early game together with something else).
    I draw with Sylvan Library all the time. This really can win the game for you IMO.

Agree that Mirri's Guile coming out turn 1 is intriguing. But I feel like there's a lot of other stuff you want to do with your first mana: Mother of Runes, Noble Hierarch/Birds, GSZ for 0, plowshares their initial dude, etc. I think I'd very rarely be using the one mana and casting Mirri's Guile if I had any of these options available. Only to draw out a counter can I see that option being taken generally and it's a lot more rare to want to attempt the 'diversion' play at turn 1 I think. Whereas at the two mana section of the curve, Sylvan Library, seems a lot more attractive. Depending on everything, I can easily ponder many situations where I'd opt to play Sylvan Library over the other cmc=2 stuff , e.g. vs. Qasali Pridemage, Scryb Ranger, Stoneforge if you're trying to draw counterspells. What do you think?

edit: I think Mirri's Guile is a lot less likely to be counterspelled, to its credit.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Morte View Post
    @Ruckus
    Orim's Chant in place of Silence: if you side in them against Reanimator they can save you a turn even if you draw them after they reanimated.

Couple of questions about your sideboard:
    • Sword of Light and Shadow? When does it make the difference?
    • Path to Exile? Reanimator and Merfolk, or also other usages?
    • You seem a bit light of GY hate (just a Bog). What about your Dredge matchup?

Edit – I’m wondering about Sylvan Library. How often do you use it to draw extra cards? Maybe it could be worth to try Mirri's Guile. It can be landed earlier than the Library, profiting by your early shuffle effects (I suppose you usually play Library starting from turn 4-5, after some creatures, correct? Before, you risk to spend a critical turn doing nothing. Mirri's Guile can be played early game together with something else).
    Silence and Orim's Chant are functionally identical for their intended purpose - stop Combo mid Combo, or pre-empt a good board position as a psuedo-timewalk. Orim's Chant is better in the sense that it can negate an attack outright, but I didn't have access to Chants. Silence, OTOH, can't get Misdirected (relevant vs some Reanimator and Painter's Stone lists)

SoLS is brought in against decks where SoFI is irrelevant for protection. Junk, Deadguy, and the mirror is usually where I find use for them.

PtE is brought in as extra Sword effect, typically Zoo, mirror, Junk, Reanimator, Tribal etc

RE: G/y hate - Ooze works good from the maindeck. I normally utilize Tormod's Crypt but every now and then I chance on removing it, and don't get punished by it. Dredge might be more tricky now that we don't have MM.

RE: Wasteland - I don't understand any list that doesn't include 4. Stop net decking and figure out how Wasteland fits into the deck - buys tempo with LD and maintains mana parity while developing with Noble Hierarch and KotR. Gaea's Cradle also falls into this tempo idea.

RE: Sylvan Library - this is my maindeck answer to Control. I often utilize the extra card drawing when I see good cards to take, otherwise I shuffle with fetches/KotR/GSZ/SFM to refresh. It's absolutely the reason why I can beat Junk with my list.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

SoLaS is also insane against UWx Deck which bring in Wrath of God Postboard. Having that Fetchland for Dryad Arbor uncracked or a flash dude in hand this is often enough the recover even if you trade highly negative with the sweeper.

Englishman in New York
    Dec 2008
    Western Austria

I won 3 byes fpr GP Amsterdam in the GPTrial (33 Players) in Vienna with the following list:

Lands
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Wooded Foothills
    4 Savannah
    3 Wasteland
    1 Tower of the Magistrate
    2 Horizon Canopy
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Karakas
    1 Dryad Arbor

Creatures
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Mother of Runes
    3 Aven Mindcensor
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Qasal Pridemage
    2 Scryb Ranger
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll

Other
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Path to Exile
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Elspeth, Knight Errant
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Serenity
    1 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Choke

Round 1 vs. Mud - 2:0
    Removal, Pridemage and Wastelands seal the deal in both games.

Round 2 vs. Team America - 2:0
    Game 1 I fight through 1st Turn Thoughtseize, Hymn, Liliana (saccing 3 creatures), Tombstalker and Tarmogoyf and find no Mana for about three rounds but I still manage to win. It seemed to me that almost every card I played had the potential to win the game - btw: Flash (Mindcensor, Scryb Ranger) > Planeswalkers.
    Game 2 he is manascrewed and I have Wastelands, short fight.

Round 3 vs. Maverick - 2:0
    Game 1 I need two Swords to Plowshares against his Mother of Runes and the break the stall with my own mother.
    Game 2 he uses Geen Sun's Zenith for multiple Hierarchs and gets a Thrun out, but I then have Stoneforge -> Umezawa's Jitte and a Wasteland to end the game.

Round 4 vs. Reanimator - 2:1
    Game 1 I got Mindcensor and a fast clock.
    Game 2 Jin Gitaxias > Maverick.
    Game 3 I get an active Knight of the Reliquary and Phyrexian Metamorph copying the Knight to end the game with a single attack for 15 after exiling his graveyard with Bog and wasting my own Bog (1/1 Dryad Arbor and two 7/7 Knights).

Round 5 vs. Reanimator - 1:2
    Game 1 Mulligan into Scavenging Ooze, he can't handle that.
    Game 2 I loose to Elehs Norn.
    Game 3 he gets a Iona on white and that's enough.

Round 6 vs. Spiral Tide - 2:1
    Game 1 he fizzles against 2 Aven Mindcensors.
    Game 2 I got a Mindcensor in response to Merchant Scroll, but he doesn't fizzles.
    Game 3 I start with Hierarch, Thorn of Amethyst and E-Tutor on Canonist. Mother of Runes with Gaddock Teeg seal the deal.

I'm second after Swiss and get a REV Volcanic Island.

Top 8:

Round 1 vs. Dredge - 2:0
    Game 1 I have a Qasali Pridemage and a Sword of Feast and Famine, but I have to sac because of 3 Bridge from Below. After that he has bad luck with his dredgers and I have a Stoneforge Mystic for Batterskull to end the game.
    Game 2 Relic of Progenitus and Scavenging Ooze with 6 green Mana seal the deal.

Round 2 vs. Dredge - 2:0
    He is not sure if he goes to the GP and concedes, thx man!

Round 3 vs. Reanimator (opponent from Round 4) - 2:0
    We both have the byes and he concedes to me, because I have less planeswalker points.

Nice tournament and nice deck!
    Last edited by Fl0do; 10-12-2011 at 10:46 AM.

Thread Information