Page 418 of 428 FirstFirst ... 318368408414415416417418419420421422 ... LastLast
Results 8,341 to 8,360 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

@Xod: I think it's being discussed here too:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...1895-(Big)-Zoo

Nov 2012
    Freising(Munich), Germany

i like your idea of a zooish maverick!

ajani and huntmaster are cool cards and give you the power for mid/late game.
    but i think they are often too expensive to cast - maybe add a gaeas cradle?
    or you could try to do a 1/1 split of ajani and chandra ToD ?
    what i would change here is to swap swords to plowshares with path to exile.
    or instead of bolts add punishing fire engine

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I found the old land discussion now, here are some links (for Magnaguard100, myself and anyone else interested). It's a shame we don't have a way to keep separate discussion threads within a deck's main thread. Maybe we could add page numbers for certain topics to the primer so people can find where discussions are being made instead of starting from zero every time. Searching for a card name results in too many hits.

We were discussing utility lands in January:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post986461

And in early June Cradle vs Depths was discussed, I'll link my comment here but there is more discussion above it on the same page:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...=1#post1011433

I think an important thing to consider, when discussing Cradle vs Depths, is that you are actually comparing Cradle vs Depths + Stage, i.e. one card vs two cards. A more relevant comparison, or at least an easier comparison to make, is between Cradle with a 5-drop and Depths with Stage.

Edit: Ramunap Excavator probably changes the discussion a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizz View Post
    ajani and huntmaster are cool cards and give you the power for mid/late game.
    but i think they are often too expensive to cast - maybe add a gaeas cradle?
    We have 6 dorks (and rallier), GSZ to dorks, so it should be quite possible. Also, don't own a cradle. But might think about it.

or you could try to do a 1/1 split of ajani and chandra ToD ?
    I think dat Ajani will be more of a controlling role (keeping creatures/lands tapped), also the double red is not very appealing.

what i would change here is to swap swords to plowshares with path to exile.
    That's a good suggestion, against decks with to many basics, it diludes the LD plan. On the other hand, if they are fetching their basics to be save from wasteland, PtE will have no drawback. So good suggestion!

or instead of bolts add punishing fire engine
    Again, don't own the PFire engine, and I prefere to use bolts than to go all out midrangy. Still want to keep the Zoo profile :-)

The only things I'm doubting about are to include in the main:
    - SFM package, sounds good, but takes to much spots + I prefer Huntmaster :-) but can be good with rallier
    - Snake Crucible Guy: going to test him in the side for the grindy games, maybe replace Tireless Tracker with him, but he's also a guy for grindy matchups
    - Sylvan Library: with all the fetches + knights, this should be great, but what to cut?

the other addition is the Renegade Rallier, should always be able to create value. But against GY-hate/DRS decks, it might lose value. Another reason not to include crucible snake man main, to not overextend the GY reliance.
    I think the main targets for Rallier will be:
    - the 2/3 deathtouch guy (if rallier is active, so is the other renegade)
    - QPM: reusability
    - Wasteland
    - Fetches or destroyed lands
    - Hierarch: almost the same as an extra mana + exhalted

Of course, against a STP deck, this guy will lose a lot of targets. So that's why I only include 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Xod View Post
    We have 6 dorks (and rallier), GSZ to dorks, so it should be quite possible. Also, don't own a cradle. But might think about it.

I think dat Ajani will be more of a controlling role (keeping creatures/lands tapped), also the double red is not very appealing.

That's a good suggestion, against decks with to many basics, it diludes the LD plan. On the other hand, if they are fetching their basics to be save from wasteland, PtE will have no drawback. So good suggestion!

Again, don't own the PFire engine, and I prefere to use bolts than to go all out midrangy. Still want to keep the Zoo profile :-)

The only things I'm doubting about are to include in the main:
    - SFM package, sounds good, but takes to much spots + I prefer Huntmaster :-) but can be good with rallier
    - Snake Crucible Guy: going to test him in the side for the grindy games, maybe replace Tireless Tracker with him, but he's also a guy for grindy matchups
    - Sylvan Library: with all the fetches + knights, this should be great, but what to cut?

the other addition is the Renegade Rallier, should always be able to create value. But against GY-hate/DRS decks, it might lose value. Another reason not to include crucible snake man main, to not overextend the GY reliance.
    I think the main targets for Rallier will be:
    - the 2/3 deathtouch guy (if rallier is active, so is the other renegade)
    - QPM: reusability
    - Wasteland
    - Fetches or destroyed lands
    - Hierarch: almost the same as an extra mana + exhalted

Of course, against a STP deck, this guy will lose a lot of targets. So that's why I only include 2.
    If you included library and sfm package rallier could bring back library, jitte,.and other fun things like that. I love him and he has been crucial in winning matchups by returning things that drs cant eat

I'm really am surprised how good your guy's mana runs. I have 22 mana producing lands, 1 Dryad Arbor, 4 GSZ, 4 DRS, 1 Birds of Paradise and I can't afford to run more than four 3drops in the maindeck of my maverick lists.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Wroking on new version of Maverick, which will be reworked for today meta. It will have a lot of changes even in core, but the goals will remain the same - midrange, fair, creature toolbox deck which can be tune up for personal preferences and meta. I will also sum up last years of Maverick history. When I finish testing will post list and test results (from tournaments), after that Primer will be updated. Probably totally new thread since this one gets little too long, +400 pages in 6 years is a lot !

- Thank You ALL for feedback and great discussion !

Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    Wroking on new version of Maverick, which will be reworked for today meta. It will have a lot of changes even in core, but the goals will remain the same - midrange, fair, creature toolbox deck which can be tune up for personal preferences and meta. I will also sum up last years of Maverick history. When I finish testing will post list and test results (from tournaments), after that Primer will be updated. Probably totally new thread since this one gets little too long, +400 pages in 6 years is a lot !

Stay tuned.
    Huzzah. Im a big fan of this

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt-Qc View Post
    Oh don't worry you're not alone, I turned myself on just writing this... almost makes me want to drop teeg from the main to fit one more snake in, then with excavator this basically becomes snakes tribal right?
    Excavator isn't a snake, biggest travesty 2017

Note on the list a bit ago -just be careful with your manabase, you cut a mana producing land for a ghost quarter, a maze of ith and now a cradle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    Excavator isn't a snake, biggest travesty 2017
    They're all SNEK to me Are mermaids womans?

[...] , after that Primer will be updated. Probably totally new thread since this one gets little too long, +400 pages in 6 years is a lot ! .
    That seems adequate as the deckbuilding options have changed quite a lot and, since we just had a big meta change, it's unlikely there would be such a good opportunity to restart in the near future.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

I would like to make new Primer more structural then any other, since we have a lot of material (history, tested cards, a lot of discussion) I propose module build, and each module will have separate autor, which will write and update his part so we will have up-to-date Primer, I don't have so many time to write everything properly alone, which would be high quality.

Let me introduce proposition of ToC:

Code:
    1. Introduction:
    - Goals
    - Genesis
    - Overlay history
    - Why would you play Maverick
    - Modules (space and balance between core/other packages)

2.Modules in Build

2.1. Core (I will admin this part):
    Mana dorks, Knights, GSZ, difference between mana dorks types, possible splashes how to get proper set, what changes in core and how to get proper line of play with GSZ.

2.2 Silverbullets - all utility creatures which are 1-of (looking for volunteer):
    Each utility create have their aim vs proper situation or deck

2.3 Stoneforge Mystic package (looking for volunteer):
    a lot of discussion was about swords, skull and jitte, which on which meta/decks how many SFM to each equip set

2.4 Removal in splashes and pure GW (Megadeus):
    not easy topic specially nowadays when TNN, Chalice of the Void decks, and flipped cards have cost, how to deal with Infect or Mentors

2.5. Utility lands and manabase (looking for volunteer):
    In context of new cards like Ramunap and meta

2.6. Card Advantage and late game cards (I will admin this part since I think I found good solutions, anyway - in new topic every comment will be wanted)

2.7. Protection creatures (I will admin this part also).

3. Matchup changes good and bad side of deck in today Meta 
    (will describe it)

4. Sideboard (for each splash separate)

Each section need for tools describe on each deck in today meta and example sideboard.

4.1 GW Pure Maverick - (looking for volunteer)

4.2 GWb Dark Maverick (will take it)

4.3 GWr Punishing Maverick - ( menloe, Meritt )

5. Bad cards already tested in Maverick which doesn't fit.
    Last edited by Fatal; 08-14-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Stay tuned.
    Also excited about this. There are a couple of us who still play a fair amount of Punishing Maverick. Not sure if you want input on that, but I'd be happy to help direct you to the competent players I know. That would exclude me because I am bad.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

4.3 GWr Punishing Maverick - (looking for volunteer)
    Just beat me to it lol
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I'll write up the various removal portion if you'd like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Much needed, nice initiative Fatal! I'd love to help out, still I need to focus on work for the next 7-8 weeks. I'll try to write a bit on the lands area if I find time, since I was just discussing it recently anyway. But feel free anyone who can make a more active effort to do so.

When you say "GW Maverick" are you talking specifically about Noble based Maverick focused on using exalted triggers to gain edges in tempo and combat? (These often used 2-3 Pridemages to pump up the exalted counts)

Or do you mean something different?

Quote Originally Posted by TMagpie View Post
    When you say "GW Maverick" are you talking specifically about Noble based Maverick focused on using exalted triggers to gain edges in tempo and combat? (These often used 2-3 Pridemages to pump up the exalted counts)

Or do you mean something different?
    I believe so. 4 nobles and 2ish pridemages for 6 exalted triggers means thalia hits for a ton. Also with this build do you run more than 2 sfm for batterskull and such?

Went 3 wins and a draw with the list I posted on the previous page, replacing the STP's with path to exiles.

Won against TES, Goblins and White Eldrazi. Drew against Miracles.

Random question. If we were to run a mainboard planeswalker/ 5 drop. What would people recommend? Sigarda, garruk relentless, or elspeth knight errant? This is assuming you are running cradle. Which would you pick and why?

I'd run sigarda main, garruk on the side and swap as necessary for the matchups where the other is relevant.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thread Information