Page 419 of 428 FirstFirst ... 319369409415416417418419420421422423 ... LastLast
Results 8,361 to 8,380 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    I'd run sigarda main, garruk on the side and swap as necessary for the matchups where the other is relevant.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Can you post your list?

No, I don't currently have this put together, I was simply applying my knowledge of the two cards I've gathered from playing The Rock, BUG and Nic Fit to apply to your scenario. Hope it helps.

Cheers.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention, in the 3-0-1 streak, Ajani ALWAYS carried it home. Don't underestimate the control elements of this card.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by TMagpie View Post
    When you say "GW Maverick" are you talking specifically about Noble based Maverick focused on using exalted triggers to gain edges in tempo and combat? (These often used 2-3 Pridemages to pump up the exalted counts)

Or do you mean something different?
    Yes with Noble Hierarchs and min 2 Pridemages, I also saw Mix with Shaman's.

For me GW Maverick is Maverick without splash, with more stable manabase, which can easy use more utility lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    I would like to make new Primer more structural then any other, since we have a lot of material (history, tested cards, a lot of discussion) I propose module build, and each module will have separate autor, which will write and update his part so we will have up-to-date Primer, I don't have so many time to write everything properly alone, which would be high quality.
    I don't consider myself a writer so I won't volonteer for a section, but feel free to message me with any questions you may have. I still play maverick quite often and can give my opinion on whatever you may need.

Yes with Noble Hierarchs and min 2 Pridemages, I also saw Mix with Shaman's.

For me GW Maverick is Maverick without splash, with more stable manabase, which can easy use more utility lands.
    It's been years since I played that version--but it's definitely a lot faster and a lot more brutish than Abzan Maverick. It's also where I started using Orim's Chant; fantastic card to use when you don't have access to Thoughtseize. Mirran Crusader able to swing for 8 damage a turn starting on turn 3 was also a big plus.

Played 2 leagues with this list

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/731666#paper

5-0 and 3-2. Only losing to 2 storm decks, but also beating it 2 times as well. Sylvan safekeeper was great and it gave me a good option to gsz on 1 instead of just getting a mana dork. Choke was good and I think we may need to beat grixis control and 4 color control

Quote Originally Posted by NEELEY View Post
    Played 2 leagues with this list

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/731666#paper

5-0 and 3-2. Only losing to 2 storm decks, but also beating it 2 times as well. Sylvan safekeeper was great and it gave me a good option to gsz on 1 instead of just getting a mana dork. Choke was good and I think we may need to beat grixis control and 4 color control
    That is a really traditional list! No need/want to play with new toys? --> Excavator mostly

Quote Originally Posted by DoomRabbit View Post
    That is a really traditional list! No need/want to play with new toys? --> Excavator mostly
    My list is "traditional". It's also consistent, I don't feel a need to play another creature that does nothing against most decks you have a problem with. This deck is built to get KOTR when you are looking to gsz for more than 2. If you wanna have fun and try new things then that's fine. I feel like the people playing a bunch of non traditional lands and creatures lose a lot of consistentency and therefore lose more games then normal. I would hate to have DD, bog, stage in my opening hands.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

I think best will be try and test new toys then stabilize.

For example I have quite similar list with Neeley, but some changes gives a difference and edge over:
    - SoLaS is a meta slot - I use here Sigarda since have a lot of BUG around
    - Sylvan Safekeeper vs Mother of Runes - test 2 x Sylvan Safekeeper and no MoR (yea quite revolutionary will describe this more in primer)
    - Excavator as additional new routes so you never out of lands
    - Renagade Railler as second Qasali is really worth, gives you many options

Agreed about too many utility lands - that's why I will try to describe Lands core and free slots for utility lands like Cradle, Bog, DD and TS, Maze etc.
    Actually I have only 3 utility lands except core: Gaea's Cradle, and Ghost Quarter, Horizon Canopy, with one on SB (Bojuka Bog).

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Planning on playing the following at a Win a Mox Saturday. Not sure if I'm gonna play the teeg main or not, may end up swapping the SoLaS main for it. Haven't played the deck since Top got banned so I'm unsure on how much I need Teeg main.
    Maverick:

Shared via TopDecked MTG https://www.topdecked.me/decks/8abb1...1-2d9fa3876ead
    How have you found Ramunap?
    Been trying him myself and can't say I'm overwhelmed...
    Gerrard: "But it doesn't do anything"
    Hanna: "No - It does nothing"

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by JamesFlipside View Post
    How have you found Ramunap?
    Been trying him myself and can't say I'm overwhelmed...
    I think I may have green sunned for it once? I think in a build with canopy it's probably at its best. I haven't played with it in maverick enough though to really determine if it's better than a lot of stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Tested Ramunap in about 100 competitive games so time to sum up impression:

Running manabase:
    1 Ghost Quarter,
    1 Horizon Canopy,
    4 Wastelands,
    1 Gaea's Cradle,
    1 Dryad Arbor,
    8 fetchlands (4 heath, 2 catacombs, 2 flats),
    2 Savannah,
    1 Bayou,
    1 Scrubland,
    1 Karakas
    2 Forest
    1 Plains

only 1 Ramunap.

Matchups from testing:
    - Lands - I see big improvement here - before needed to play carefully with wasteland, now it's abyssal match for them
    - BUG Shardless - easy strategy now can handle on long range, removal for shaman, thalia then, KotR and waste to the end now extends to recursive waste
    - Miracles (the new one with Portent) - little improvement since it's good creature to gain CA with canopy, Ghost Quarter plan vs Plains not working in mid-game, on late better GSZ for Sylvan Safekeeper & Tracker.
    - UWR stoneblade with 4 x TNN - loses one game since opponent had basics (sic !), so Ghost Quarter plan is not always that good, G2&G3 didn't made this mistake, not really improvement here.
    - BUG Tempo - didn't change anything in this MU
    - Combo (any) - didn't change
    - D&T - won me twice a game when I pick up Cradle :-).

So overlay yes it works, specially if opponent require a lot of mana and running a lot of nonbasics, I had moments when had only GSZ for him to pick up wasteland to gain insta value. Actually have 2 options to pick up already used wasteland from gy - Railler and Ramunap. Ramunap is better since it can gain value constants, Railler on the other hand is great to pick Thalia (from my statistics she is the most time the target).

I was thinking about second one - but I'm afraid of too much graveyard dependent so actually not yet, I also don't wont to break my perfect mana curve (only real slot for would be for 3rd stoneforge mystic).

Btw I was still thinking what would be better creature then Stoneforge Mystic in cmc 2 slot can't find good value creature for him. Already tried Fauna Shaman (was not bad, but not brilliant), tested also Dark Confidant but it wasn't good. need instant value best would be etb trigger.

Have in CMC=2: 4 thalia, 1 Qasali Pridemage, 3 Stoneforge Mystic, (1 jitte, Sofi and solas sb), 1 sylvan library.

Was even thinking on Plaguebearer, Oath of Ghouls, Oversold Cemetery but they are rather just cute in edh, then in fast competitive play.

Running manabase:
    1 Ghost Quarter,
    1 Horizon Canopy,
    4 Wastelands,
    1 Gaea's Cradle,
    1 Dryad Arbor,
    2 Savannah,
    1 Bayou,
    1 Scrubland,
    1 Karakas
    2 Forest
    1 Plains

only 1 Ramunap.

Matchups from testing:
    - Lands - I see big improvement here - before needed to play carefully with wasteland, now it's abyssal match for them
    - BUG Shardless - easy strategy now can handle on long range, removal for shaman, thalia then, KotR and waste to the end now extends to recursive waste
    - Miracles (the new one with Portent) - little improvement since it's good creature to gain CA with canopy, Ghost Quarter plan vs Plains not working in mid-game, on late better GSZ for Sylvan Safekeeper & Tracker.
    - UWR stoneblade with 4 x TNN - loses one game since opponent had basics (sic !), so Ghost Quarter plan is not always that good, G2&G3 didn't made this mistake, not really improvement here.

So overlay yes it works, specially if opponent require a lot of mana and running a lot of nonbasics, I had moments when had only GSZ for him to pick up wasteland to gain insta value. Actually have 2 options to pick up already used wasteland from gy - Railler and Ramunap. Ramunap is better since it can gain value constants, Railler on the other hand is great to pick Thalia (from my statistics she is the most time the target).

I was thinking about second one - but I'm afraid of too much graveyard dependent so actually not yet, I also don't wont to break my perfect mana curve (only real slot for would be for 3rd stoneforge mystic).

Btw I was still thinking what would be better creature then Stoneforge Mystic in cmc 2 slot can't find good value creature for him. Already tried Fauna Shaman (was not bad, but not brilliant), tested also Dark Confidant but it wasn't good. need instant value best would be etb trigger.

Have in CMC=2: 4 thalia, 1 Qasali Pridemage, 3 Stoneforge Mystic, (1 jitte, Sofi and solas sb), 1 sylvan library.

Was even thinking on Plaguebearer, Oath of Ghouls, Oversold Cemetery but they are rather just cute in edh, then in fast competitive play.
    Is there a reason you don't just run a 2nd Pridemage? What about Revoker?

Quote Originally Posted by TMagpie View Post
    Is there a reason you don't just run a 2nd Pridemage? What about Revoker?
    Or scryb ranger if you arent already running him. Second pridemage is better than revoker. You cant tutor for revoker, and he doesnt have an activated ability so not super relavent

Running manabase:
    1 Ghost Quarter,
    1 Horizon Canopy,
    4 Wastelands,
    1 Gaea's Cradle,
    1 Dryad Arbor,
    2 Savannah,
    1 Bayou,
    1 Scrubland,
    1 Karakas
    2 Forest
    1 Plains

only 1 Ramunap.

Matchups from testing:

Thats pretty much my consensus. Rebuying canopy every turn helps out vs grindy matchups a lot, and buying back wasteland vs non basics is great. Yesterday i played vs grixis delver and was able to waste him every turn until he couldnt do anything and my giant knight is better than his TNN. Vs 4 color loam it was the same. Other than walkers, whoever had excavator out first won just because reccuring specific lands is reall crucial. Cant veat p fire if he constantly gets his groves back into play

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Haven't played in a long while. Very tempted to build an updated Viciano Vial-based list with Excavator. Nobody respects vial until it shits all over them. But because Excavator himself is green, I have yet another bullet for Zenith. Looking at what's floating in the top 8 globally is neutral to Maverick doing well. Delver decks continue to exist but top-based Miracles is gone. Maybe I just hedge my deck against Lands, TNN, and Sneak/Reanimator cheat-big-things-into-play archetypes.

The more recent pages of this thread had some interesting notes but my main question isn't necessarily being addressed.
    Why are folks only running 1 Excavator? Is 2 in the 60 too much? Does this guy durdle around without protection? I see how he is good when all the conditional pieces are assembled (board-state for him to shine, GY has wastes and fetches/canopy, opponent vulnerable to LD) but want to know what he actually does in an average game. He has sick synergy with Tracker as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    Haven't played in a long while. Very tempted to build an updated Viciano Vial-based list with Excavator. Nobody respects vial until it shits all over them. But because Excavator himself is green, I have yet another bullet for Zenith. Looking at what's floating in the top 8 globally is neutral to Maverick doing well. Delver decks continue to exist but top-based Miracles is gone. Maybe I just hedge my deck against Lands, TNN, and Sneak/Reanimator cheat-big-things-into-play archetypes.

The more recent pages of this thread had some interesting notes but my main question isn't necessarily being addressed.
    Why are folks only running 1 Excavator? Is 2 in the 60 too much? Does this guy durdle around without protection? I see how he is good when all the conditional pieces are assembled (board-state for him to shine, GY has wastes and fetches/canopy, opponent vulnerable to LD) but want to know what he actually does in an average game. He has sick synergy with Tracker as well.
    The main reason for only 1 is we can still only play 1 land a turn. He is a zenithable target for when having another knight doesnt advance your board state, but locking them out of more lands, drawing extra cards. Buying back cradle/ karakas is more relavent. Everytime my excavator died he already did his job and getting another one was not necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post

Initial testing started with 1 because of space (I don't like running more than four 3drops normally), after testing I found I only really wanted him in the mid/late game where I'd actually be able to use it for something other than replaying fetchlands.

I'm not against running more than 1, and in some matches having a 2nd in case of removal is relevant. But I just haven't "needed" it.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Excavator is really sick against lands. I love him there. I generally beat lands anyway, but this guy has made it so the matches aren't close
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Thread Information