Page 426 of 428 FirstFirst ... 326376416422423424425426427428 LastLast
Results 8,501 to 8,520 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Has anyone tested sylvan safekeeper? Evidently has some synergy and a powerful effect but I have no experience casting it

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Was already mention as zenithable, 5th Mother of Runes or even replacement in some meta.

I ran safekeeper for a bit when I was testing out rallier and ramunap. It replaced my 4th mother of runes. Safekeeper was great for triggering revolt and recycling lands for ramunuap.

Downside: not as strong early game because it's a wasteland for your opponent

Upside: Late game GSZ target, human as well (if you run cavern), and has 'pseudo vigilance/haste' as he can use his ability right away and he can swing+still use his ability

I've gone back to the playset of mothers though because 1) the protection ability to get clear swings and 2) scryb ranger has better synergy with the tap abilities. I was really forcing sylvan with Rallier and Ramunap in the MD. Now that i've sent Crucible man into the SB I think safekeeper is out

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

The downside with safe keeper is that he's bad with stone forge because if you spend the mana to equip then safekeeper will make it fall off if you have to use it. That said, Active and attacking knight with Safekeeper means your opponent has to chump every turn or you can just combo kill them. Also you can sneak some wins like that as well. People that don't play with Knight vastly underestimate the combat math
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    The downside with safe keeper is that he's bad with stone forge because if you spend the mana to equip then safekeeper will make it fall off if you have to use it. That said, Active and attacking knight with Safekeeper means your opponent has to chump every turn or you can just combo kill them. Also you can sneak some wins like that as well. People that don't play with Knight vastly underestimate the combat math
    I'm pretty sure if the creature is already equipped when it gets Shroud it will keep the equipment. It just can't be equipped further. Shroud just protects it from being targeted, which isn't happening as it's always equipped. (And don't confuse it with SOFI falling off a creature with Painters Servant in play naming blue or red; that falls off due to protection from the color, not from targeting).

Quote Originally Posted by RobNC View Post
    I'm pretty sure if the creature is already equipped when it gets Shroud it will keep the equipment. It just can't be equipped further. Shroud just protects it from being targeted, which isn't happening as it's always equipped. (And don't confuse it with SOFI falling off a creature with Painters Servant in play naming blue or red; that falls off due to protection from the color, not from targeting).
    Correct, or else Lightning Greaves would be pretty bad - However there are times where you go to equip and they blast your equip target, mom in response to removal is good here, safekeeper is not.

I stopped playing Safekeeper because although it was sometimes nice, putting myself down a land was too high a cost most of the time especially in more tempo oriented matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by shallowend View Post
    Has anyone tested sylvan safekeeper? Evidently has some synergy and a powerful effect but I have no experience casting it

i've played in about 3 scgs, and maybe 2 classics with maverick in the last years. I have cashed in all of those. And everytime, it was safekeeper saving my ass out there. Be it making a lethal knight out of the blue, or making it a pain for the opponent to deal with anything you have, or even making massacre uncastable by a storm opponent. Also, nobody expects a green sun for 1 tutoring for something that will blank their removal.

I would never leave home without 1 in my 75 unless you tell me that you expect en 80% tempo field

Quote Originally Posted by ThediscoPower View Post
    i've played in about 3 scgs, and maybe 2 classics with maverick in the last years. I have cashed in all of those. And everytime, it was safekeeper saving my ass out there. Be it making a lethal knight out of the blue, or making it a pain for the opponent to deal with anything you have, or even making massacre uncastable by a storm opponent. Also, nobody expects a green sun for 1 tutoring for something that will blank their removal.

I would never leave home without 1 in my 75 unless you tell me that you expect en 80% tempo field
    That is a strong endorsement. Will try one out.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Made finish on Polish Challenge 2017 (side event on Polish Nationals 2017) with Maverick, will wrote report and list later.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

So has anyone found any strong anti-Czech tools? I got completely stomped by it last week, and with EW coming up I was considering tweaking my board for Czech and Grixis bullshit.

The Czech pilot who stomped me was suggesting that I avoid adding any more 3 CMC stuff (like Ramunap), and that I could either try efficient beaters like Goyf, or haymakers (we discussed planeswalkers, Armageddon, and Cataclysm).

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    Made finish on Polish Challenge 2017 (side event on Polish Nationals 2017) with Maverick, will wrote report and list later.
    Congrats! Look forward to hearing more.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Actually played two tournaments day-by-day first was MKM Trial then Polish Challenge. I played two versions of Maverick on each of them.

First MKM Trial:

List:
    Main(61):

4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Renegade Railler
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Sylvan Safekeeper
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons

1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wasteland
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Horizon Canopy
    2 Forest
    1 Plains

//SB:
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Zealous Persecution
    1 Blessed Alliance
    2 Choke
    1 Reclamation Sage
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Therespian Stage
    1 Council's Judgement

Round 1 (D&T) 2 : 1 WIN- Opponent was quite new in format so was little stressed. That was my only loose small game until top.

Game 1 - Very good draws from me and him, similar cards SFM -> Jitte - but... I was surprised, normally opponents playing SFM from vial and thalia from mana to tax opponent removal. He played SFM from mana, and vial Thalia in my Main Phase which surprised me a lot - couldn't cast and equip my own jitte (didn't draw any removal) which ended fast counters on his jitte.

SB:
    -4 Thalia
    -1 Gaddock Teeg
    +3 Zealous Persecution
    +1 Reclamation Sage
    +1 Blessed Alliance

Game 2 - Had everything, MVP: Zealous Persecution - vs opponent mom +(X/1) company, Abrupt Decay vs vial and equips, Reclamation Sage same, Qasali Pridemage same. Realized plan - kill equips, kill moms use my own creature to equip jitte and gain more advantage. Game was really easy since opponent didn't know to side in - I concede Game 1 fast, after I saw that I can't win.

Game 3 - Same, except my opponent was better sided - didn't change anything

Round 2 (Dark Depths) 2 : 0 - That was most unfair pairing and hand which opponent met, I scout him ending round 1, so know which hand keep.

Game 1 - I keep hand - 3 Wastelands, 1 Ghost quarter, and artifact removal, He played duress and cry.. after duress he played 3 petals and needle on wastelands. Game ended fast when I stop his combo, then blow needle and waste him out of the game.

SB:
    -1 Gaddock Teeg
    -2 Sylvan safekeeper
    +2 Abrupt Decay
    +1 Reclamation Sage

Game 2 - This game was more tide - Opponent start with thoughtsize and discard GSZ, leaving me Blessed Alliance which I used to kill token. Had answer to needles.

Round 3 - 2 : 0 BUG Fit
    Game 1 - Tireless tracker works great with Opponents' Veterans, I ended game very fast.

-1 Birds of Paradise
    -2 Sylvan Safekeeper
    -1 Gaddock Teeg
    -1 Ghost Quarter

+1 Bojuka Bog
    +1 Reclamation Sage
    +1 Dark Depths
    +1 Therespian Stage
    +1 Council's Judgement

Game 2 I create Marit token which is best weapon against BUG, specially nic fit.

Round 4 ID (I found out that I can ID to top8 since we had only full set of points after 3 rounds ! Lovely draws :-).
    Round 5 ID (dinner)

Quarterfinal:
    R/G combo Lands (2 : 0)
    Game 1
    I used intensively Scavenging Oooze then Knight of the Reliquary to end the game really fast. he loam only once.

-1 Gaddock Teeg
    -1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    +1 Therespian stage
    +1 Bojuka Bog

Game 2
    He had Tireless Tracker which I StP, yeap really I keep them since I saw this tech against. Exiling his gy with Bojuka.

Semifinal - Czech Pile 0 - 2

Game 1
    Couldn't kill him with Sigarda - no answer to Strix.. no GSZ, or removal, pridemage etc.. dead by Jace protected with Strix.

Polish Challenge:

List:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Renegade Railler
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wasteland
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Taiga
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Forest
    1 Plains

//SB:
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Zealous Persecution
    1 Blessed Alliance
    2 Choke
    2 Ancient Grudge
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Therespian Stage
    1 Life from the Loam

I changed the list since I almost always side out 1 safekeeper in day 1, I also cut 2 decays for more effective grudges to gain CA vs all decks with equips and strixes.

Round 1 (2 : 0) WIN - same very nice guy with Dark Depths Combo from day before
    Game 1 -he tried to combo off turn 3, after discard and protection (sylvan safekeeper) I used Railler to cast 2 wastelands and swords, had mana from Gaea's Cradle to cast then from GSZ in turn 2 with wasteland and swords in same turn.

Game 2 - Opponent keep 2 needles but against can't answer everything - Knight -> solution, wasteland, ghost, swords and Ramunap cycle.

Round 2 (0 : 2) - Grixs Delver - LOSE
    Game 1 - I keep decent hand and then never draw anything then land - I fetched all lands from my deck - sad game.
    Game 2 - mull to 5 - (no lands) - no gas to fight after bolt + fatal push.
    Was really angry after this round - this was my favorable matchup and loses to fate, but I didnt give up.

Round 3 - UW Control (2 : 0) WIN
    Game 1 - I won with double SFM (mana dork get StP), first found me a Sofi (also get StP by snapcaster), second found me batterskull which resolved, then I seal game with Safekeeper + Skull with Sofi.

- 4 swords to plowshares
    - 1 Gaddock Teeg (really)
    - 1 Scavenging Ooze
    - 2 Thalia (really)
    + 3 Zealous Persecution
    + 1 Blessed Alliance
    + 2 Ancient Grudge
    + 2 Choke

Game 2 - I blow up each white source and land choke which resolve, ended game fast with Sword of Fire and Ice, had answer against TNN (ZP), and blow up equip with ancient grudge.

Round 4 - UWr Tempo (2 : 0) WIN

Game 1 - Opponent keep greedy hand, I waste him for the win, then Thalia beatdown
    - 1 Gaddock Teeg (really)
    - 1 Scavenging Ooze
    - 2 Sylvan Safekeeper
    - 1 Sigarda
    - 1 Tireless Tracker
    + 3 Zealous Persecution
    + 1 Blessed Alliance
    + 2 Ancient Grudge

after all I would also bring Loam for something - still think for what.

Game 2 - Similar he didn't had any basics I waste, waste, fetch -> dude, then close game with beatdown.

Round 5 - ID

quarterfinal:
    BUG Fit - (2 - 1) WIN
    Game 1 - Was killed by a lot of removal with Trun beatdown, he crush my hand with well played Cabal Therapies turn 1 and 2. (3 Therapies total with fleshbacks)

-1 Birds of Paradise
    -1 Gaddock Teeg
    -1 Ghost Quarter
    -1 Umezawa's Jitte
    -1 Stoneforge Mystic

+1 Dark Depths
    +1 Therespian Stage
    +1 Blessed Alliance
    +2 Ancient Grudge

Game 2 - DD/TS combo - fast Knight with Scryb Ranger help.
    Game 3 - DD/TS combo + alternative with sword of fire and Ice on Sigarda

semifinals:
    Death and Taxes (2 - 1) WIN - very very long game - about 2 hours long.

Game 1: Opponent survive on 2 life... - game was about 1,5 time long.
    Opponent Revoker Jitte and had active Mom, I had crushing advantage thanks to Tracker, then Ooze and Knight join the party and I beat him. He was on 2, after alpha strike suvived by Recruiter -> Thalia for chump. But he draw Flicker and found last equip - SOFI (I blow up his batterskull, and jitte was revokered under mom protection), I couldn't dmg those two last dmg vs 2 active moms and after hour of beating lost with two really big threads. The worst thing was when he kill my Shaman because I couldn't achieve Revolt trigger since Knight eat all lands (last was wastelanded by opponent in his turn). Railler was needed to bring back Qasali to blow up last equip. Turn after I found land to sacrifice he draw second revoker to needle in response Qasali.. Each of those turns was lethal on table and Demonic tutor from opponents draws with really good play. Probably best game on this day to watch - and longest.

Side:
    -1 Gaddock Teeg
    -1 Sigarda
    -4 Thalia
    +3 Zealous Persecution
    +1 Blessed Alliance
    +2 Ancient Grudge

Game 2: I crush him - standard - blow vial with Grudge, kill mom + company with ZP, attack with my own jitte
    Game 3: I crush him - similar to game 2, had everything.

finals:
    Opponent concede - Czech Pile - (was very late, and he had long way home) and we split - title / prizes.
    Last edited by Fatal; 10-18-2017 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    Under construction

Actually played two tournaments day-by-day first was MKM Trial then Polish Challenge. I played two versions of Maverick on each of them.

First MKM Trial:

List:
    Main(61):

4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Renegade Railler
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Sylvan Safekeeper
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wasteland
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Horizon Canopy
    2 Forest
    1 Plains

//SB:
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Zealous Persecution
    1 Blessed Alliance
    2 Choke
    1 Reclamation Sage
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Therespian Stage
    1 Council's Judgement

Round 1 (D&T) 2 : 1 WIN- Opponent was quite new in format so was little stressed. That was my only loose small game until top.

Game 1 - Very good draws from me and him, similar cards SFM -> Jitte - but... I was surprised, normally opponents playing SFM from vial and thalia from mana to tax opponent removal. He played SFM from mana, and vial Thalia in my Main Phase which surprised me a lot - couldn't cast and equip my own jitte (didn't draw any removal) which ended fast counters on his jitte.

SB:
    -4 Thalia
    -1 Gaddock Teeg
    +3 Zealous Persecution
    +1 Reclamation Sage
    +1 Blessed Alliance

Game 2 - Had everything, MVP: Zealous Persecution - vs opponent mom +(X/1) company, Abrupt Decay vs vial and equips, Reclamation Sage same, Qasali Pridemage same. Realized plan - kill equips, kill moms use my own creature to equip jitte and gain more advantage. Game was really easy since opponent didn't know to side in - I concede Game 1 fast, after I saw that I can't win.

Game 3 - Same, except my opponent was better sided - didn't change anything

Round 2 (Dark Depths) 2 : 0 - That was most unfair pairing and hand which opponent met, I scout him ending round 1, so know which hand keep.

Game 1 - I keep hand - 3 Wastelands, 1 Ghost quarter, and artifact removal, He played duress and cry.. after duress he played 3 petals and needle on wastelands. Game ended fast when I stop his combo, then blow needle and waste him out of the game.

SB:
    -1 Gaddock Teeg
    -2 Sylvan safekeeper
    +2 Abrupt Decay
    +1 Reclamation Sage

Game 2 - This game was more tide - Opponent start with thoughtsize and discard GSZ, leaving me Blessed Alliance which I used to kill token. Had answer to needles.

Round 3 - 2 : 0 BUG Fit
    Game 1 - Tireless tracker works great with Opponents' Veterans, I ended game very fast.

-1 Birds of Paradise
    -2 Sylvan Safekeeper
    -1 Gaddock Teeg
    -1 Ghost Quarter

+1 Bojuka Bog
    +1 Reclamation Sage
    +1 Dark Depths
    +1 Therespian Stage
    +1 Council's Judgement

Game 2 I create Marit token which is best weapon against BUG, specially nic fit.

Round 4 ID (I found out that I can ID to top8 since we had only full set of points after 3 rounds ! Lovely draws :-).
    Round 5 ID (dinner)

Quarterfinal:
    R/G combo Lands (2 : 0)
    Game 1
    I used intensively Scavenging Oooze then Knight of the Reliquary to end the game really fast. he loam only once.

-1 Gaddock Teeg
    -1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    +1 Therespian stage
    +1 Bojuka Bog

Game 2
    He had Tireless Tracker which I StP, yeap really I keep them since I saw this tech against. Exiling his gy with Bojuka.

Semifinal - Czech Pile 0 - 2

Game 1
    Couldn't kill him with Sigarda - no answer to Strix.. no GSZ, or removal, pridemage etc.. dead by Jace protected with Strix.

Polish Challenge:

List:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Renegade Railler
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wasteland
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Taiga
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Forest
    1 Plains

//SB:
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Zealous Persecution
    1 Blessed Alliance
    2 Choke
    2 Ancient Grudge
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Therespian Stage
    1 Council's Judgement

I changed the list since I almost always side out 1 safekeeper in day 1, I also cut 2 decays for more effective grudges to gain CA vs all decks with equips and strixes.

Round 1 (2 : 0) WIN - same very nice guy with Dark Depths Combo from day before
    Game 1 -he tried to combo off turn 3, after discard and protection (sylvan safekeeper) I used Railler to cast 2 wastelands and swords, had mana from Gaea's Cradle to cast then from GSZ in turn 2 with wasteland and swords in same turn.

Game 2 - Opponent keep 2 needles but against can't answer everything - Knight -> solution, wasteland, ghost, swords and Ramunap cycle.

Round 2 (0 : 2) - Grixs Delver - LOSE
    Game 1 - I keep decent hand and then never draw anything then land - I fetched all lands from my deck - sad game.
    Game 2 - mull to 5 - (no lands) - no gas to fight after bolt + fatal push.
    Was really angry after this round - this was my favorable matchup and loses to fate, but I didnt give up.

Round 3 - UW Control (2 : 0) WIN

Round 4 - UWr Tempo (2 : 0) WIN

Round 5 - ID

quarterfinal:
    BUG Fit - (2 - 1) WIN
    Game 1 - Was killed by a lot of removal with Trun beatdown, he crush my hand with well played Cabal Therapies turn 1 and 2. (3 Therapies total with fleshbacks)
    Game 2 - DD/TS combo - fast Knight with Scryb Ranger help.
    Game 3 - DD/TS combo + alternative with sword of fire and Ice on Sigarda

semifinals:
    Death and Taxes (2 - 1) WIN - very very long game - about 2 hours long.

Game 1: Opponent survive on 2 life... - game was about 1,5 time long.
    Game 2: I crush him - standard blow vial, kill mom + company, attack with my own jitte
    Game 3: I crush him - similar to game 2

finals:
    Opponent concede - Czech Pile - (was very late, and he had long way home) and we split - title / prizes.
    Did you miss mother of runes at all?

I am interested in the cut of batterskull, what changed to lead to its inclusion on the second day?

Did main deck sigarda do work?

Well done on the finish!

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by shallowend View Post
    Did you miss mother of runes at all?

I am interested in the cut of batterskull, what changed to lead to its inclusion on the second day?

Did main deck sigarda do work?

Well done on the finish!

ad. Mother of Runes
    I missed Mom once vs BUG when having Sigarda on table and on oppoite Strix and Jace, but mom wouldn't do the job since he had enough removal to kill any other creature which I cast, so she wouldn't resolve board state.
    Second miss was in semi-final day 2 when opponent survive on 2 life, but mom wouldn't resolve it since he had revoker (colorless) with active mom (actually 2 moms :-) vs my 10/10 ooze and 10/10 KotR with additional creatures - he really play well and had god draws - lethal attack - 1 card 2 blockers missing he vial Recruiter, and additional blocker to survive, etc..).

So in sum - no I didn't miss her, since I use other value creatures in this slot which has more aggresive aproach or bigger CA - Tracker, Railler, Ramunap, Sigarda, each of those creatures are good topdecks also late game and give instant value even if opponent have removal in hand. I also don't have problems after SB when I face -1/-1 effects like Persecution, Dread of Night, Marsh Casualties or Golgari Charm only 9 creatures have X/1 in 75 - 4 Thalia which can be saved by karakas, Scryb Ranger, Birds of Paradise, 2 Safekeepers. Most of them aren't white which is important against most common SB - Dread of Night.

ad. Batterskull
    I changed my MD adding Batterskull since meta was mostly fair. I didnt scout too many combo decks Day 1, second factor was less Grixis more BUGs, and UW/x so I pick batterskull as bigger thread density and better against fair race matchups. If meta would be more Grixis or combo I would cut Batterskull.

ad. Sigarda do their jobs against all midrange and control matchups mostly BUG, but also vs lands as a finisher resilient on mazes. Never had problems to cast it thanks to cradle.

I moved second Safekeeper to SB since I predict less white control decks - so less swords - so second one wasn't needed, I still can reanimate it with Railler.
    Adding red was good move since I met a lot of Equips decks, more over all midrange/control BUG/x running Strix which is very good target for Ancient Grudge.
    I probably will move to Punishing Version since meta is more midrange/control oriented, then combo, but let little splash of black (1 Dual) for 3 x Zealous Perecution against TNN. I also think Pyroblast is well positioned now, against all those 3 CMC bombs like snapcaster+removal, Leo or TNN.

@fatal

Congrats on the finish but your list looks really soft to storm and other combo decks like it - Your sideboard pretty much only has 2 canonists that are really good and the zealous/bog come in but aren't super stellar. Storm is going to anticipate having to beat 2/2's on turn 2 in post board games so I'd really like another angle of attack (discard and surgical are good here). Would you play SB like this at a bigger event or was it just a local meta decision?

PS: I know I've said it a bunch but people should try out main deck thoughtseize, it's been doing amazing for me =p.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

I predict meta and made SB vs it, that was my decisions to cut discard from side. Before I tested thoughtsize and cabal therapy, from my analysis I met storm to few times to keep discard package, it was used vs:
    Storm
    S&t
    Infect
    Burn (only c.therapy)
    Vs all other matchups It wasn't enough to good.
    Most common decks was: blue tempo grixis and uwr and midrange blue controls most Bugs and Czech pile.
    I had 4 Thalia with Gaddock md, that's still a decent chance G1 to win more over 2 Canonist works also vs elves which also not a great matchup.
    That was my decision vs predict meta. I wanted better answers vs deck which I met for sure then matchups which can occur with less probability.

At the end I will go more for punishing with pyroblasts on an, build since it has much better chances against Czech Pile which will be next miracles, but I will still keep little black splash for Zealous Persecution which is must actually, and probably add some pyro.
    Example SB:
    2 Canonist
    3 Zealous Persecution
    2 Ancient Grudge
    1 DD
    1 TS
    1 Bojuka
    2 pyroblasts
    1 blessed Alliance
    2 choke
    Still want to fit loam somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    @fatal

Congrats on the finish but your list looks really soft to storm and other combo decks like it - Your sideboard pretty much only has 2 canonists that are really good and the zealous/bog come in but aren't super stellar. Storm is going to anticipate having to beat 2/2's on turn 2 in post board games so I'd really like another angle of attack (discard and surgical are good here). Would you play SB like this at a bigger event or was it just a local meta decision?

PS: I know I've said it a bunch but people should try out main deck thoughtseize, it's been doing amazing for me =p.

I had a great time playing GWb Maverick at a local legacy tournament. I ran some number of Ramunap Excavator + Ghost Quarter and an Aven Mindcensor in previous iterations of my list but, inspired by some of the conversations taking place here and based on my own evolving assumptions about this deck, opted to run Elspeth, Knight-Errant and Garruk Relentless instead. (Namely, I would rather draw into something that has the potential to crack a game wide open if I’m already not Zenithing for whatever miscellaneous three drop I’m running to round out my top end.) I went 3-0 against Turbo Depths (which seems like an insanely easy matchup?), Mentor Miracles, and Czech Pile.

(1) A Mom-protected Scryb Ranger did well against Depths both games, giving me much mana when I had but few lands and infinite blocks while I dug for a KotR to do shenanigans. A SOFI-equipped Scryb did all the beats game 1; Scryb made many excellent plays and let me dig for KotR to Karakas game 2. 2-0; 1-0.
    (2) Miracles opponent Terminused me to fuck and back game 1. He then had poopy hands games 2 & 3. In the former, he couldn't get to three lands in time to do anything. In the latter, we both mulled to 5. My 5 were better, however, being land, land, Thalia, Teeg, Choke. His 5 were spell, spell, spell, spell, spell, and he didn't draw a land for two/three turns, a situation made worse by my Thalia. Sucks to beat a buddy like this. 2-1; 2-0. I made two significant play errors that I can remember in this round (both game 2): Revoker naming Jace when I had a Teeg in play and eating a spell with DRS after my opponent had already cast STP. In the former, I acted on impulse and named the one card I knew I would probably lose to if I lost Teeg. I should have named Staticaster given the circumstances. It is possible I am misremembering the latter or I was doing something specific that required me to make this play, but I can't imagine what that might have been. Avoiding tunnel visions and keeping complete track of my side of the board at all times are things I am working on...
    (3) Game 1 against Czech pile was your standard G/W creature beat down story. Game 2 I was creature poor. Lost to Jace, the Mindsculptor and could never profitably attack through his multiple Strixes. I showed him my Choke like a dumbass the turn before he won. I won game 3 with Elspeth, Choke, and Scryb Ranger. Many good bears ran face first into a counterspell to facilitate sticking the walker and hoser. I think it would have been hard for him to win in the face of either card, but both together was GG. I got wrathed at some point, but Elspeth has many relevant +1 abilities in such circumstances. 2-1; 3-0.

Scryb Ranger is probably my favorite card in the deck. She just enables so much bullshit.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Played Junk Maverick to 7-3-1 at Legacy Champs, which was good for 69 () out of 711. I've got a very long writeup on the whole event, for those interested.

Side note: I sat next to tons of Punishing Maverick players all day. Good to see the deck holding its own.

Dec 2014
    Philly area

I went 7-3-drop at Eternal Weekend with Punishing Maverick. Decklist (+very outdated and largely incomplete sideboarding notes) is here: https://deckbox.org/sets/1826789. Round order was
    1. BUG Midrange, possibly some type of Czech Pile (W)
    2. Miracles (L)
    3. S&S (L)
    4. MUD (W)
    5. Punishing Jund (W)
    6. Czech Pile (W)
    7. Miracles (W)
    8. Grixis S&S feat. Locust God (W)
    9. UB Landstill (W)
    10. Junk-Fit feat. Carnage Tyrant (L)
    11. Get lamb osso bucco and a tempranillo at a nearby restaurant (W)

Every opponent I played against was super friendly and were all fantastic people, even in later rounds as the fatigue set in. I have more detailed match+sideboarding notes and can write up a small report if people are interested, but I played like trash for many, many rounds since I almost never play this much magic. Rounds 4, 6, and 10 are particularly bad. The abstract power of the deck drove me home as I fell asleep at the wheel.

Punishing Fire does the following for the deck:
    • Easily become the control deck against decks that are aiming to win with 1 larger creature, a handful of small creatures, or a planeswalker, which is almost the entire format. Multiple Tombstalkers got Punishing Fire and ultimately allowed the deck to out-card-advantage the Standstill and Miracle decks.
    • Punishing Fire augments the mana denial plan by adding 4 more main deck removal spells for opposing Deathrite Shamans.
    • Punishing Fire allows flooding out to be beneficial as long as you have at least 1 Punishing Fire in hand or in the graveyard.
    • Punishing Fire itself is resilient against Surgical Extraction and Nihil Spellbomb, the two most commonly played pieces of graveyard hate in the format right now (always keep a grove untapped!!!).
    • Lets you run Fiery Justice which is absolutely fucking amazing (kill a Deathrite and a Jace, trigger Punishing Fire, use Magus of the Crop Rotation to get a Wasteland, go?)

However, it has a few costs:
    • REB effects are not that amazing since the deck is trying to curve out. It's the best card in that sideboard slot but it's still underwhelming.
    • Losing discard is really painful against combo. Hatebears can only go so far.
    • ZP is better against Elves, TES, ANT, D&T, TNN, etc than Fiery Justice is. TNN specifically doesn't matter too much because of SOFI and Knight of the Reliquary. TNN is usually nothing more than Fog Bank for the unimaginably vast girth of a Knight of the Reliquary as a Qasali Pridemage, Ramunap Excavator, or something similar skitters on in.
    • Basically impossible to run Dark Depths/Stage, Maze of Ith, Horizon Canopy, etc since all of your flex slots become Grove of the Burnwillows. I'm okay with this, but sloppy play+lacking the DD/TS package cost me the game against NicFit's Leyline of the Void.
    • Lose Deathrite Shaman in place of Birds of Paradise because of the mana requirements for Punishing Fire. Your deck is more mana starved than most because of the mana-inefficiency of your removal package, so these Deathrite subgames are a no-go. This significantly hurts your Reanimator matchup, but ANT is still fine because of the 6 Gaddock Teegs post-board.

Definitely recommend checking out the list if you haven't. Well positioned right now.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Played Junk Maverick to 7-3-1 at Legacy Champs, which was good for 69 () out of 711. I've got a very long writeup on the whole event, for those interested.

Side note: I sat next to tons of Punishing Maverick players all day. Good to see the deck holding its own.
    Read with pleasure, thank you for great article.

Working on Punishing Maverick with additional black splash only for ZP.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrinshpon View Post
    Basically impossible to run Dark Depths/Stage, Maze of Ith, Horizon Canopy, etc since all of your flex slots become Grove of the Burnwillows. I'm okay with this, but sloppy play+lacking the DD/TS package cost me the game against NicFit's Leyline of the Void.
    I would look at Fabian Görzgen's past lists if you are not familiar. His most recent ran every land you mention here. There are tradeoffs of course: 26 lands means you're drawing a lot of lands while your opponent is drawing spells and you mulligan a bit more and a bit worse.

I am not saying Görzgen's way is perfect, but it might be worth it to shave a Wasteland and Grove if it means you can include at least DD+Stage.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

Thread Information