Page 427 of 428 FirstFirst ... 327377417423424425426427428 LastLast
Results 8,521 to 8,540 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Dec 2014
    Philly area

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by menloe View Post
    I would look at Fabian Görzgen's past lists if you are not familiar. His most recent ran every land you mention here. There are tradeoffs of course: 26 lands means you're drawing a lot of lands while your opponent is drawing spells and you mulligan a bit more and a bit worse.

I am not saying Görzgen's way is perfect, but it might be worth it to shave a Wasteland and Grove if it means you can include at least DD+Stage.
    This is the most recent list of his that I've found: fabian-gorzgen-punishing-maverick There are definitely some interesting choices there. I'm not sure how I feel about cutting out those two cards since they're so important in the matchups where they're used, especially since I used all 4 wastelands in most longer games I played, but I'll never say no until I give it a shot!

I will say that the only time I wanted DD/TS combo was against Nic-Fit in round 10 when he dropped Leyline of the Void and I wanted a second Qasali Pridemage to deal with it. I'll also try a second Pridemage instead of the second Noble Hierarch since I want them in basically the same matchups (Eldrazi, S&S, NicFit) and even in others where I don't want Marit Lage (Dragon Stompy), plus my manabase is already contorted enough. DD/TS seems fantastic in Junk Maverick, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrinshpon View Post
    This is the most recent list of his that I've found: fabian-gorzgen-punishing-maverick There are definitely some interesting choices there. I'm not sure how I feel about cutting out those two cards since they're so important in the matchups where they're used, especially since I used all 4 wastelands in most longer games I played, but I'll never say no until I give it a shot!

I will say that the only time I wanted DD/TS combo was against Nic-Fit in round 10 when he dropped Leyline of the Void and I wanted a second Qasali Pridemage to deal with it. I'll also try a second Pridemage instead of the second Noble Hierarch since I want them in basically the same matchups (Eldrazi, S&S, NicFit) and even in others where I don't want Marit Lage (Dragon Stompy), plus my manabase is already contorted enough. DD/TS seems fantastic in Junk Maverick, though.
    These are a few of my decklists from events with the Fabian Gorzgen list slightly altered and different sideboard plan.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=13842&d=281765&f=LE
    https://mtgdecks.net/Legacy/maverick...rassman-691737
    http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=23520&iddeck=182901

Below is other content on me talking about the same list on a podcast and a video me playing Reed Duke at a Starcity event (Ps. I get roasted in the comment section of YouTube for my board state and messy hair).

https://soundcloud.com/leavingalegac...shing-maverick
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMzcj4GymHY

I love the Deathrite versions of Punishing Maverick. White mana is always the big issue. I am thinking about up the mana a bit by Adding a Grove of the Burnwillows, cutting a Taiga, and adding a 2nd Plateau and a 4th wasteland (26 lands not including Dryad Arbor)

Quote Originally Posted by Strassbaw View Post
    I love the Deathrite versions of Punishing Maverick. White mana is always the big issue. I am thinking about up the mana a bit by Adding a Grove of the Burnwillows, cutting a Taiga, and adding a 2nd Plateau and a 4th wasteland (26 lands not including Dryad Arbor)
    My Punishing lists cut a Horizon Canopy for a Plains. I never missed the HC.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

My Punishing lists cut a Horizon Canopy for a Plains. I never missed the HC.
    I never tried to run a planes. You and my friend Meritt are a fan of a Planes in Pun Mav, so maybe I ought to reconsider it. Do you play DRS in Pun Mav also?

I may consider running a Planes, but I worry about cutting green mana in this greedy mana base. Is having a planes a better option than running an 8th fetch land? I feel like having a three color deck with a black splash makes me more inclined to want multi colored lands, as opposed to more Bloodmoon/Wasteland protection.

I never tried to run a planes. You and my friend Meritt are a fan of a Planes in Pun Mav, so maybe I ought to reconsider it. Do you play DRS in Pun Mav also?

I may consider running a Planes, but I worry about cutting green mana in this greedy mana base. Is having a planes a better option than running an 8th fetch land? I feel like having a three color deck with a black splash makes me more inclined to want multi colored lands, as opposed to more Bloodmoon/Wasteland protection.
    Definitely a valid concern. I was primed to make the decision (after discussions with Meritt and reading his blog) following a hellish weekend where I encountered Blood Moon, Back to Basics, and a thresh player who wanted to Wasteland me to oblivion (a match I won, but still.) I prefer as many basics as I can feasibly run in all my decks. I rarely used HC for the card draw so it seemed like a good spot for a Plains. My thought was similar to yours: white mana is important and also problematic in the deck. My solution was to have a more or less unmolestable source. I don't know if it is better or worse than a fetch in the same spot but it definitely looks and feels more balanced and consistent to have access to basic green and white.

My Punishing list is basically the unadulterated Görzgen-style list so it is running x3 DRS. I haven't made any significant changes to the list in about a year, but I would probably drop the Maze of Ith for another fetch or dual land as you suggest. And, as much as I love DRS, I may end up dropping the shaman and increasing the number of BoP or NH (also per Meritt) to help smooth out the mana issues. Swapping out my singleton Bayou for another Savannah probably? I make no claim to knowing what the fuck I'm doing.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Crazy things happened to my work desk so I've been doing non-computer work for the better part of the last week.

Also, best quotes from your feature:

"If he cant even keep the battlefield organized, imagine the rest of his life."

&

"I love how this guy handled his cards. Finally someone who doesnt care"
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

Jun 2011
    n/a

Can you guys provide me a link for the Maverick Blog?

I am thinking about dropping SFM from the deck and filling those 2-3 slots with hatebears that have applications against multiple bad match ups. Perhaps an extra Teeg and two Mindcensors in the main? Maybe even a Revoker or two?

I am also inclining towards KotR being the only Zenithable three drop in the deck and moving towards planeswalkers as the back up top end of the deck. Some of you have been talking about this switch in the context of our Czech Pile match up. Has anybody tested it? I've had one small event with Elspeth, Knight-Errant and Garruk Relentless in the main. Elspeth was great when she came down, but one tournament hardly constitutes testing.

Jun 2011
    n/a

I am thinking about dropping SFM from the deck and filling those 2-3 slots with hatebears that have applications against multiple bad match ups. Perhaps an extra Teeg and two Mindcensors in the main? Maybe even a Revoker or two?

I am also inclining towards KotR being the only Zenithable three drop in the deck and moving towards planeswalkers as the back up top end of the deck. Some of you have been talking about this switch in the context of our Czech Pile match up. Has anybody tested it? I've had one small event with Elspeth, Knight-Errant and Garruk Relentless in the main. Elspeth was great when she came down, but one tournament hardly constitutes testing.
    If you are going to cut the SFM I would run two maindeck Jittes to bring your elves and Death and Taxes matchup back to reasonable. I think cutting SFM right now is fine if you meta has a lot of Pile

I currently am only running KOTR as my Zenithable top end. I have just found I don't need anything else that big. I have two Palace Jailers in my maindeck that have been excellent for me and a couple Gidions in my sideboard to allow me to go wide or have durable threats in the grindy matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    If you are going to cut the SFM I would run two maindeck Jittes to bring your elves and Death and Taxes matchup back to reasonable. I think cutting SFM right now is fine if you meta has a lot of Pile

I currently am only running KOTR as my Zenithable top end. I have just found I don't need anything else that big. I have two Palace Jailers in my maindeck that have been excellent for me and a couple Gidions in my sideboard to allow me to go wide or have durable threats in the grindy matchups.
    I will definitely keep the equipment. I might try the Jailers too as I am reasonably sure I opened a couple back when I was crackin packs.

Forgive me if you mentioned this in an earlier post, but which vers of Gidion are you running?

I am still confused by this reaction to Pile you guys are having. Most games are the exact game for me—they throw a bunch of removal, a threat eventually sticks, they die a few turns later. It’s like playing against a Miracles deck with a worse mana base, less sweepers, and is weaker to our equipment. Majority of attempts to Snap/Kologhan just gets scoozed/surgicaled during the midgame until they die with no cards in play and no cards in hand. I barely even sideboard, 1-4 cards at most if I suspect it’s a better player than normal.

I just don’t get it.

Jun 2011
    n/a

I will definitely keep the equipment. I might try the Jailers too as I am reasonably sure I opened a couple back when I was crackin packs.

Forgive me if you mentioned this in an earlier post, but which vers of Gidion are you running?
    I am running Ally of Zendikar.

I'm back on SFM but I went a few weeks without her and the deck ran fine. If you want to play Planeswalkers in her place I'd recommend Elspeth as SoFI was nice in getting past stuff like TNN and Elspeth's evasion is really nice at that, she also takes out other Planeswalkers well and can clock without opening herself up to plow like Gideon. If you want to make 2/2's I'd play Garruk > Gideon as he's easier to cast and I like his other abilities more, plus wolves are cuter =p.

Whenever Pile starts to play cards like TNN/Leovold I just toss Marit Lage at their face and win though, their interaction is usually edict which we have creatures for (90% of the time Knight pulls out the lage).

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I'm currently doing the write up for the removal portion of the new maverick primer. I think I have covered most of the basic stuff, but if there is a card you feel should be covered that isn't as traditional for the build feel free to message me and I will add it to the portion of the primer
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jun 2016
    Eugene, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I'm currently doing the write up for the removal portion of the new maverick primer. I think I have covered most of the basic stuff, but if there is a card you feel should be covered that isn't as traditional for the build feel free to message me and I will add it to the portion of the primer
    Although not often played in maverick, i would be sure to address fatal push and collective brutality. Also an area where our equipment can act as removal.

I got top-8 in a 7 round event with Punishing Dark Maverick on Sunday, November 5th. Here is my 75 with a light tournament report.

Creatures [21]

3 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Mother of Runes
    1 Noble Hierarch
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Stoneforge Mystic

Artifacts [3]

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of fire and ice
    1 Batterskull

Instants [8]

4 Punishing Fire
    4 Swords to Plowshares

Sorcery [4]

4 Green Sun's Zenith

Lands [24]

1 Bayou
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Forest
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    2 Plateau
    2 Savannah
    1 Taiga
    1 Thespian's Stage
    3 Wasteland
    3 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard [15]

1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Choke
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Crop Rotation
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Manriki- Gusari

Round 1: Mud 2-0. I won the dice roll so being on the play was huge. This deck was a home brew more or less. He ran Foundry Inspector, Chalice of the void, phyrexian revoker, Jitte, Artifacts lands and sol lands. I cannot tell you much more about the list as game 1 was close and game 2, he didn't get to play much magic as I Wasteland'ed him out of the game and won the an early 20/20.

Round 2: Grixis Delver 2-0. I won the dice roll, and I was on the play. I won game 1 with a Knight of the Reliquary and a 20/20 to jump over his True-Named Nemesis.
    Game 2 was very close and he probably should have won. I had to mulligan, and I kept a questionable 6. He screwed me out of mana and in the standstill he was able to draw more threats than me. He had 2 dread of nights in play and I thought I was a goner for sure. He killed every threat I landed when I drew a land a played a green card. In the end I drew Thespian Stage and Dark Depths and on the last possible turn I drew a Horizon Canopy to make the mana necessary to create a 20/20. I won the game with 1 life left. Being on the draw really sucks in this match-up. I had no other chance to win the game besides the combo, and it did the trick.

Round 3: Esper Blade 2-0. I won the dice roll again which was huge. Game 1 wasn't looking too good for me. He has an answer to every threat. He made a crucial mistake by not casting Force of Will pitching his True-Named Nemesis to counter my Knight of the Reliquary. He let that card live and I made a 20/20 and won the game.
    Game 2 was very close. He answered all of my threats with hand disruption and a Surgical Extraction that removed all of my Greensun's Zenith's from my deck, and he got a Greensun's Zenith discarded in my hand as I had 2 of them in my opening hand. It was looking really bad for me. The card that won me the game hands down was Choke. I landed a choke when he and I were top decking and I don't think he casted a single spell besides Swords to Plowshares after that. I think I won with a Dryad Arbor and a Noble Heirach army, and a Punishing Fire/Grove combination for many turns of unanswered damage.

Round 4: Czech Pile 2-1. I lost the dice roll and I lost game 1. It was a close game 1, but Kologans command and Jace won him the game. I managed to kill his Jace, but it was too late by the time I killed Jace to win. He saved his Jace by casting Force of Will to stop a Punishing fire, and I did not have a Grove of the Burning Willows to finish Jace off. If I had a higher life total I could have won as I drew a Sword of Fire and Ice, and I was turning the game around.
    Game 2: He made a mistake and tried to kill Batterskull with Koligans command when I had ample mana to return Batterskull to my hand. If he would have waited until I tapped out, he probably could have killed it. I won the game most likely because of this mistake.
    Game 3: Sword of Fire and Ice was the MVP. Luckily he did not Kologans command Sword of Fire and Ice, but he did kill my Batterskull. I ended the game with 7 cards in my hand. I was winning the game, and I did not want to over extend to toxic deluge. Birds of Paradise wore Sword of fire and Ice well, to fly over his Gurmag Angler and Young Pyromancer. Scavenging Ooze is very good in this match-up, but I don't think you need more than one. I think this match-up is favored for us, unless they get there trump cards like Toxic Deluge, K Command, and Jace.

Round 5: Eldrazi 2-1. I lost the dice roll and got crushed game 1. He landed Chalice of the void on my turn Zero, and Killed me with a turn 2 Thought Knot Seer, and a turn 3 Reality Smasher. I had the ability to get Jitte online, but it was too late. Trample on the 5/5 won him the game. Without that, I could have chump blocked with stuff and won out with Jitte.
    Game 2: I landed a turn 2 Stoneforge and I had a Swords to Plowshare for his dudes. Batterskull secured this game, and Knight of the Reliquary won the game when I landed it.
    Game 3: Batterskull took this game away. The lifelink allowed me to get back in the game, and being a 4/4 it allowed me to stay in it. Punishing Fire was pretty solid in the match up early, but didn't do much late. My coolest play was adding Manriki-Gusari in the match up in case he had a Jitte, and making Batterskull Germ a 5/6 allowed me to swing in, and block any creature. Punishing fire with a beefy Batterskull allowed me to win through a group block situation and ultimately lead to me winning the game. Stoneforge with Batterskull was the MVP of this match up for sure. Knight of the Reliquary was a close second, but the lifelink ability makes Batterskull more valuable. If Eldrazi is in the meta game, I think upping the Stoneforge count and adding Batterskull is a good tool.

I.D. round 6, and 7.

Top 8 Split for $300 dollars store credit.

Final thoughts:
    -Maindeck -
    5 mana dorks seems to be a good number.
    4 Punishing fires is where I want to be at this moment. This card is good against any deck that isn't combo.
    4 Stoneforge was great. It can be clunky, but I think with 4CC being played less, having 4 mystic is great.
    Dark Depths/ Thespian stage are super good. I cannot see taking them out of Maverick. Crop Rotation in the board makes the combo better against combo decks.
    Not playing Planes seems fine, but I need to test this before I confirm it for this version of Maverick.

-Sideboard-
    2 Choke was great. I probably would not have beat the Blade player without choke. This card is great against 4CC, and any deck running blue. It's worse against the blue combo decks, but it can win games if you land a hate piece, then land a choke to seal the deal.
    2 Pyroblast seemed okay, however I did not get the cast this card. It isn't as powerful in Maverick as it is in other archtypes that run Snapcaster, or decks that have a reactionary game plan.
    2 Crop Rotation. I really like this cards in a Dark Depths meta game. This is where the card is best. The card is also good against combo decks like Dredge, Show and Tell, Reanimate, and its okay against Storm, but probably too slow. This card is also good against burn as it allows you to play around Price of Progress more easily.
    3 Thalia in the board. This card is probably to good to leave home without it. I don't board this card in against blue midrange decks, or Delver. Its good against them, but this card really shines against combo decks and Burn decks.
    2 Ether sworn canonist. This card is in most cases worst than Thalia, however, its better against decks where Thalia isn't great like Elves, Food Chain, Alluren, and its probably better against storm than Thalia, but not by much.
    1 Gaddock Teeg. I never leave home with out another teeg in the board. This card shuts down a lot of decks, and if your first one gets killed game 2 or 3, having a back-up for Greensun's Zenith to find can be very useful.
    1 Reclamation Sage. This card is great. I never leave home with out it. I think all Maverick decks should have at least 2 ways to kill artifacts and enchantments. Running this card in the board allows you to kill a problematic artifact or enchantment and keep a 2/1 body around, instead of losing a body to ultimately be a 3 mana Disenchant. Pridemage is certainly better in the main deck, but having a Reclamation sage option is something I have preferred for a long time.
    1 Manriki-Gusari. I did not see this card against blade, but I really like it in theory and in previous meta games. If you expect Stoneforge Mystic, this is the trump card. This card is something I would only run if I have a playset of Stoneforge Mystics to make me the superior blade deck, as getting Jitte online first is usually the key to winning the Stoneforge Mystic mirror.
    1 Bojuka Bog. This card is great when you are less afraid of super fast graveyard strategies and midrange graveyard decks are abundant. Running 2 crop rot also adds a lot of value to this card and crop rot. If UB Reanimate, dredge and Lands were the top decks, I would probably have to play Surgical Extraction.

- Cards I may test/ or cards I may add back in-
    Planeswalker are great if Koligans command is all over. They don't play well in the main deck because of Teeg, but you can probably get away with 1-2 maindeck. I suggest Garruk Relentless and Ajani Vengeant for this deck.
    Fiery Justice is great and I would play it if I expected Elves, Delver, Death and Taxes and the Mirror. I have 4 Stoneforge Mystic main deck this week, so I did not include much in my board for fair decks as I think my main deck is very solid for those matches.
    Sylvan Library is a card I normally don't play, but its pretty good when the meta slows down. If you are willing to take 8 damage in a match up, its probably worth it.
    Scryb Ranger seems cool, but I am not sold on that card in this deck, especially now that I switched a 2nd Taiga for a 2nd Plateau recently.
    Sanctum Prelate is great. I would have added this card to my deck if I expected more combo. 2 white mana is hard to come by, but I think its worth it.
    Surgical extraction is great, but for now I will play Crop Rotation. Crop Rotation is more flexible, but it is worse against grave yard decks for sure.
    Ramunap Explorer is cool, but not as good in this build as it would be in another build. Deathrite Shaman eats our lands, I only run 7 fetch and 3 waste as oppose to 4 Wasteland and 8 fetch, and without crop rot main deck, or Mox Diamond, it seems like this card may end up being a 2/3 for 3 that has an ability you can only use the turn after you cast it (Unless you have the luxury of being able to wait before you play it). I will not be testing this card in this version unless I make some major changes. I think Life from the Loam may be better as I cannot think of too many times I would opt to GSZ for this card over Knight of the Reliquary and Loam seems like a better card to top deck.

That's all for now. If people are interested, I can add how I side-boarded in each match-up. Thanks for reading. Any questions or comments are welcome. Keep playing "fair".
    Last edited by Strassbaw; 11-10-2017 at 10:20 AM.

Over the weekend I top 4 the Baltimore Legacy League Invitational with Punishing Maverick. With the help of Strassbaw, and an intense 3HR sideboard discussion, I came to this list. I'll write up my report later.

Creatures:
    3x Deathrite Shaman
    1x Noble Hierarch
    1x Birds of Paradise
    4x Mother of Runes
    2x Stoneforge Mystic
    2x Qasli Pridemage
    1x Voice of Resurgence
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Scrub Ranger
    1x Scavening Ooze
    4x Knight of the Reliquary
    1x Ramunap Excavator

Spells:
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    3x Punishing Fire
    1x Jitte
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Sylvan Library (ALL STAR)

Lands:
    4x Wooded Foothills
    3x Windswept Health
    3x Wasteland
    3x Grove of the Burnwillows
    2x Savannah
    1x Taiga
    1x Plateau
    1x Forest
    1x Plains
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Dark Depths
    1x Thespian Stage
    1x Bayou
    1x Karakas

SB:
    2x Pyroblast
    2x Crop Rotation
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    1x Reclamation Sage
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    2x Choke
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Zealous Persecution
    1x Fiery Justice
    1x Chandra, Pyromancer
    1x Pithing Needle.

Planeswalker are great if Koligans command is all over. They don't play well in the main deck because of Teeg, but you can probably get away with 1-2 maindeck. I suggest Garruk Relentless and Ajani Vengeant for this deck.
    The wolf pack is fuckin insane for sure. I won a game this weekend against Leovold solely on the back of home skillet, beating a Jace and two big ass Goyfs. As much as I love Elspeth, Knight-Errant, I think two Garruks is the way to go.

Grats on a nice finish.

The wolf pack is fuckin insane for sure. I won a game this weekend against Leovold solely on the back of home skillet, beating a Jace and two big ass Goyfs. As much as I love Elspeth, Knight-Errant, I think two Garruks is the way to go.

Grats on a nice finish.
    Thanks Menloe. I was running relentless before this event and he has been great. I love your language. I think home skillet has some broad shoulder for us to ride to victory on his back.

Props to Thunderknight for putting another copy of DRS Pun Mav in the top 8. He and I have been working together along with Merritt to optimize Punishing fire in Maverick.

Feb 2016
    Holland

What about using Thalia and Punishing fire in the same deck.

I currently play 2 or 3 Thalia on the full Punishing package. Doesn't really slow down my game as I use Punishing fire lategadme anyway.

What are your thoughts?

Thread Information