Page 54 of 428 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

You still SB Grips against Maverick since you are well aware of the Chokes coming in.

As a Can-Thresh player I can say that Maverick is a helluva hard MU - Knights, Chokes, SOFI, Ooze... I dunno why you're trying to figure the MU out!

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    Suppose we do end up cutting the equipment and SFM for 5 other cards (leaving Jitte in ofc). We could board into:

2 Choke
    2 Path to Exile
    1 Maze of Ith

Thoughts?

This could next-level their SB plans for Krosan Grip or Ancient Grudge. This matchup is where I might also want Sylvan Safekeeper.
    I think Pridemages and Teeg do less in this matchup and should be boarded out first? While they may bring in artifact destruction for our equipment, I think equipment is too powerful to take out. If they don't have the immediate answer, they're pretty boned.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    I think Pridemages and Teeg do less in this matchup and should be boarded out first? While they may bring in artifact destruction for our equipment, I think equipment is too powerful to take out. If they don't have the immediate answer, they're pretty boned.
    I'm mostly concerned about Stifle on SFM which turns it into a useless creature. I like Jitte to remain since it can take control of the game, but SoFI and Batterskull seem too expensive with all the LD components Tempo runs. Perhaps -3 SFM -1 Batterskull to put in more removal and Chokes.

I like Pridemage strictly for the beatdown element. At worst, it's another body, and the Exalted triggers are important.

Gaddock Teeg is important IMO - it stops Force of Will and Submerge. I expect their deck to board out Force of Will, but Submerge is a big big nuisance. If we start to run Sylvan Safekeeper, then it seems justified in taking out.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    I'm mostly concerned about Stifle on SFM which turns it into a useless creature. I like Jitte to remain since it can take control of the game, but SoFI and Batterskull seem too expensive with all the LD components Tempo runs. Perhaps -3 SFM -1 Batterskull to put in more removal and Chokes.

I like Pridemage strictly for the beatdown element. At worst, it's another body, and the Exalted triggers are important.

Gaddock Teeg is important IMO - it stops Force of Will and Submerge. I expect their deck to board out Force of Will, but Submerge is a big big nuisance. If we start to run Sylvan Safekeeper, then it seems justified in taking out.
    Yeah, for me I haven't liked Pridemages in this matchup because while it's another body, it's one that can't block anything. I don't actually think Exalted is that important in this particular matchup. Of course it's nice, but I think we're typically going to win through Knight / Ooze beatdown or through getting in there with equipped dudes.

Stifle on SFM really does suck, but again, for me, I think our Equipment does too much of a number on them to take out. I really like SoFI as well since it's another way for us to deal with Delvers (which I find as the most problematic card in this matchup other than the builds that run Lavamancers).

I forgot about Teeg stopping Submerge. I was just thinking that in this matchup, we're generally ok with them Forcing our stuff since they're 2 for 1ing themselves whereas Teeg is another terrible body that doesn't really do anything. I guess the question for me is then if it's worth stopping Submerge (which I just consider another removal spell for them) at the cost of stopping our own GSZ?

Maybe do something like -SFM, -Batterskull, +removal, + Choke and leave in all your Swords + Jitte? I've cut Batterskull from my 75 these days to play a SoFF in addition to SoFI and Jitte.

Jun 2011
    Dortmund/Germany

If you are having serious trouble with Tempo or CB Top, try out 3 Summonung Traps in the board. It might look janky, but with so much blue in the meta they are actually pretty good because they either have to get forced or find somethin a lot scarier then T1 MoR ;)

May 2006
    Philippines

I guess people are starting to notice what i've have been pointing out in regards to mav is too much dependent on equips and a stf being hit by stifle will hurt mav's aggro power against other creatures. Maybe put back 1-2 tarmo back in the mav's creature list in the traditional GW gsz build.

Currently im still testing the vial build, so far based on my playtesting its less consistent compared to gsz build in the sense when you draw gsz it gives you both options of mana or beater while drawing vial just provides you mana in some sense, thats the greatest in consistency with vial builds, but vial provides you a better creature list in form of serra avenger and tarmo atleast in my list.

@summoning traps
    its true that blue are rampant in the meta but i feel summoning trap just opens you for a in coming sweeper, blue decks will not board in more counters against mav or aggro decks but rather board in creature control / sweeper cards and board out counter magics.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

How would one build an E-Tutor sideboard for a generally unknown meta? I expect fair representation of multiple archetypes, with the only semi-known quantity being an enchantress player with Karmic Justice in the side.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    How would one build an E-Tutor sideboard for a generally unknown meta? I expect fair representation of multiple archetypes, with the only semi-known quantity being an enchantress player with Karmic Justice in the side.
    I think the whole reason for E-tutor is to be able to answer multiple "unknowns" in the metagame; rather than attack a specific set of known decks.

Anti-Combo
    Thorn of Amethyst
    Ethersworn Canonist
    Null Rod
    Stony Silence

Anti-GY
    Tormod's Crypt
    (but not Relic)
    Wheel of Sun and Moon
    Ground Seal

Catch-all
    Oblivion Ring
    Pithing Needle
    Engineered Explosives
    Phyrexian Metamorph
    Serenity (Affinity/Enchantress)

Then, sprinkle in some other utility, like Bojuka Bog, Maze of Ith (should not be Maindeck), extra removal (PtE), Elspeth, Life from the Loam, and Choke.

I don't consider Choke to be part of the E-tutor package because you normally don't bring in Tutors when you bring in Choke. They are mutually independent against Blue decks.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

(V) (;,,;) (V)
    Jul 2008
    Minneapolis, MN

Just wondering, has there been any thought to Witchbane Orb? It does the same thing that the white Leyline did and some decks tried that as well (I don't think it turned out too well though). BUT! You can cast it.

I think it could be a possibility but, I think Cannonist would be better against combo than this. At least in limiting their ability to find an answer. I only mention it since it's an artifact that costs 2. So, you can E.tutor for it... Seems like you'd be able to go grab that to fight decks like burn as well. Either way, just a though.
    Tinkering with some crafting theory. Here

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Witchbane Orb costs 4.
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

(V) (;,,;) (V)
    Jul 2008
    Minneapolis, MN

Witchbane Orb costs 4.
    That explains why I keep convincing myself to look it up again. My bad.
    Tinkering with some crafting theory. Here

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

How strong is Ethersworn Canonist vs. Enchantress? Does anyone here have experience there? Theoretically, it's quite strong, but in practice?
    -ktkenshinx-

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

It's a whole heck of a lot better than Scaventing Ooze or Goyf. You need to slow them down for a while, Canonist helps with that.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Really, I noticed that if their mana production was stunted, I would have plenty of time to swing for the win. Canonist provides a similar function. I'm trying out, essentially, the list Drew Levin has been repping. It seems like a good way to get a feel for the deck.
    -ktkenshinx-

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

How strong is Ethersworn Canonist vs. Enchantress? Does anyone here have experience there? Theoretically, it's quite strong, but in practice?
    Canonist is pretty strong, better than Teeg as well. It makes it so they can only draw 1 extra card per turn, which really keeps them from going nuts and gives you time to finish them.

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    Canonist is pretty strong, better than Teeg as well. It makes it so they can only draw 1 extra card per turn, which really keeps them from going nuts and gives you time to finish them.
    Nitpicking here, but they can actually draw more than one. They just cant cast more than one.

Teeg is quite useless IMO. He only stops Replenish, GSZ and Sigil of the empty throne. By the time opponent is ready to cast Sigil, he has probably already O Ring for Teeg. With that said, I do side him in though, as there are so many dead cards.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Artlee View Post
    Nitpicking here, but they can actually draw more than one. They just cant cast more than one.

Teeg is quite useless IMO. He only stops Replenish, GSZ and Sigil of the empty throne. By the time opponent is ready to cast Sigil, he has probably already O Ring for Teeg. With that said, I do side him in though, as there are so many dead cards.
    That's true. I just meant you slow down their engine significantly with it.

Teeg also stops Moat, but yeah he's pretty bad in general, but still better than a straight beater.

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

Enchantress is extremely big in my meta game, with atleast 1 every week and as many as 3-4. . Last time we counted we have to ability to bring up to 11 enchantresses with very little money invested between everyone. . .and I think like 7 of those had a Moat. . .but anyway

A mom or sword of light and shadow protected Canonist is your best way to beat Enchantress, unless you want to play really narrow answers like Harmonic Convergence (It gets around Karmic Justice. . build up alpha strike force, EOT or mainphase Harmonic Convergence and swing for the win. . gogo sweet Rbg Goblins sideboard tech) Teeg does slow them down but if they play Words of War they can just ping him eventually. . hopefully you can get a win by then but Elephant Grass will hurt that.

Pridemage is alright, K.Grip is almost useless because they have too many targets, and possibly Karmic Justice, and isn't worth siding in, imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    I think Mental Misstep has kind of stepped in as the new deputy card for Legacy, policing the gunfights at high noon, while Sheriff Force of Will gets to take a little more time off, spend some more days at the saloon, and reminisce of the days when Legacy was simpler and wasn't described by unnecessary wild west metaphors.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Neuad View Post
    Enchantress is extremely big in my meta game, with atleast 1 every week and as many as 3-4. . Last time we counted we have to ability to bring up to 11 enchantresses with very little money invested between everyone. . .and I think like 7 of those had a Moat. . .but anyway

A mom or sword of light and shadow protected Canonist is your best way to beat Enchantress, unless you want to play really narrow answers like Harmonic Convergence (It gets around Karmic Justice. . build up alpha strike force, EOT or mainphase Harmonic Convergence and swing for the win. . gogo sweet Rbg Goblins sideboard tech) Teeg does slow them down but if they play Words of War they can just ping him eventually. . hopefully you can get a win by then but Elephant Grass will hurt that.

Pridemage is alright, K.Grip is almost useless because they have too many targets, and possibly Karmic Justice, and isn't worth siding in, imo.
    Serenity, SoLaS (to recur QPM and pro:O-ring), Canonist, Sylvan Library are important cards in this matchup. StP - not so much.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Jun 2011
    Dortmund/Germany

E Tutor with 1 Aura Flux in the board is wonderful :)

Thread Information