Page 55 of 428 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

I'm just curious, has anyone ever considered Avacyn's Pilgrim out of Innistrad? Just a dude who taps for 1 white mana, costs the same as a Llanowar Elf. You lose the exalted, and the ability to tap for green, but he offers a point of power in both defense and swinging in a group. Thoughts?
    *as an aside, I have my Nobles. This is not a budget-related question.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    I'm just curious, has anyone ever considered Avacyn's Pilgrim out of Innistrad? Just a dude who taps for 1 white mana, costs the same as a Llanowar Elf. You lose the exalted, and the ability to tap for green, but he offers a point of power in both defense and swinging in a group. Thoughts?
    Interesting one to think about, but ultimately I think Noble is still better. My experience with the deck is that oftentimes you're swinging with just one dude while the rest of your guys stay home and play defense or simply aren't worth attacking with, so the Exalted on the Hierarchs make them well worth it.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Also, NH gives you G, which is pretty massive for Ooze, flashing in a Scryb, and most of the cards. I would say def. NH over Pilgrim. If I were to cut NH for anything it would be Birds of Paradise. I currently run 3 NH, 1 BoP, since I am Punishing Fire build and the BoP comes in handy for the R mana and also for the flying.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Two questions. I'm currently playing a list similar to your list. I run 2 Taiga and 1 Plateau and No Horizon Canopy. I'm wondering if you ever have problems coming up with red mana for PF or Pyro/REB? I realize Grove gives you 3 more R sources, so that's 5, but all 5 are non-basic and only 2 are fetchable. Especially against the Tempo-Thresh decks with Stifles and WL's, is it hard to keep a R source on the board? BoP helps. Second question - Could someone explain to me the beauty of the 1 Horizon Canopy? In straight GW, I could see running 1, 2, even 3. But in WGr, it seems like I am just taking damage from it. There have been too many opening hands where I have HC as my only W or G source and end up taking 3-5 damage. Very rarely do I KotR for it. I'm usually going for a fetch to thin my deck and pump KotR +2/+2 or grabbing a Bog, Grove, etc. I see how HC is good with LftL, but it seems like a card that doesn't make the cut in GWr. Final question - any GWr players consider a basic mountain? It ups the basic count to 3 and gives a permanent way to cast PF,REB, etc. In regards to PF, if you are using Grove as your only red source, then this removes the 'slow-death' option against control (pinging for 1 life a turn - if you are paying R to return and R to cast, they are gaining 2 life and you are dealing 2 damage, so it's a net, except to eliminate creatures). Thanks Guys!

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post
    My toughest matchups so have been NO/Pattern Combo and RUG Tempo. Pattern combo is difficult to hate since they get to choose if they want to kill you via their graveyard or Progenitus. Establishing a hateful board against them is very difficult, hence the Mindcensors in the SB. Decks packing Snapcaster alongside Lightning Bolts, Spell Snare, and Stifle are very hard to outlast because their hate and card advantage is persistent throughout the entire early to midgame phases.

Any suggestions for improvement?
    I take it you are playing against Jeremie Ross on MTGO? I believe we have a mutual nemesis...muuahaha! He's by far my worse match-up online (1-4), although, ironically, I won the first match (I'm 0-4 since). I played Reanimator twice, U/W Stoneblade, Storm and one other deck - I realize this is a Maverick forum, so I'll keep it related to Maverick, however, he said his deck is usually 30-70 vs. Storm, but he double Cabal Therapied me game 2 (successfully hit 4 times), so that really hurt. Anyway, there is a really good article about how to play NO/Pattern Combo here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ern+of+rebirth and a tournament report here: http://blog.manatalks.com/2011/08/sc...gue-to-riches/ Reading the tournament report really helped me and there is a section called 'How to Play this Deck' under the primer.
    As Maverick players, we have 2 objectives vs. NO/PoR - 1) Get a Teeg in play 2) Handle the graveyard. We'll start with Teeg - if you can get him into play game 1, this shuts down Pattern of Rebirth, Natural Order and GSZ. Games 2/3, you will probably need a MoR or SoLaS or some other form of protection against Slaughter Pact. For objective 2), we can use hard (Wheel of Sun and Moon, Crypt, Bog) or soft (ooze) gy hate. The secret is to get one of these up and active and to remove a key piece of the combo - the combo usually goes, hulk (sac), body double (copy hulk), sac, reveillark and mogg fanatic into play. Sac fanatic and reveillark, bring body double (copying reveillark) and fanatic back into play. So, if you can remove hulk (only on the initial copy with body double) or reveillark, body double, or fanatic, it breaks his combo.
    Additionally, you have a few other options. 1) Pithing Needle on Fanatic (he runs Pridemage, so this won't work forever) 2) Leyline of Sanctity (same with Pridemage) 3) Dampening Matrix - I seriously thought about running this - also shuts down SFM/Pridemage - only downside is it costs 3, but it seriously hinders his deck - the only sac outlet becomes Cabal Therapy.
    Also, be mindful of nuking his creatures in response to Pattern of Rebirth being played - note, if he uses Rector, it actually places Pattern of Rebirth into play attached to the creature, so this doesn't work (I made this mistake). Aven Mindcensor greatly helps out against this deck. Also, be mindful of the creatures/effects that require 'leave play' vs. 'goes into the graveyard'. Protean Hulk, Academy Rector and Pattern of Rebirth all require the creature to die (hit the yard), so if you remove from game with STP or PTE, no triggered effect. Reveillark, however, is 'leave the battlefield', so that is going to happen if it goes to exile, hand or 'yard. Also, if he draws a Progen, Reveillark or Body Double, he has to get it into his yard, either via Fauna Shaman or Cabal Therapying himself, so be mindful of this (unless he's running Body Snatcher, which most the decks don't appear to be).
    Anyway, hope this helps. Knowledge is power. Our best bet as Maverick players is to first land a Teeg and then search out some grave hate before Protean Hulk can hit the board and be sacrificed (he's running some mana accelerators, but without NO/Pattern of Rebirth, it should take him until at least turn 5 - by that time, you should have active KotR with bog or Ooze).

How would one build an E-Tutor sideboard for a generally unknown meta? I expect fair representation of multiple archetypes, with the only semi-known quantity being an enchantress player with Karmic Justice in the side.
    Try aura of silence. I had it in the board for some time, it's a very decent tutor-target against a number of archetypes (enchantress, stax if you can slip in the tutor, affinity if it comes down quick enough, storm combo, hive mind), and you can still bring it in without the tutor against stuff like CB-thopter.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    Two questions. I'm currently playing a list similar to your list. I run 2 Taiga and 1 Plateau and No Horizon Canopy. I'm wondering if you ever have problems coming up with red mana for PF or Pyro/REB? I realize Grove gives you 3 more R sources, so that's 5, but all 5 are non-basic and only 2 are fetchable. Especially against the Tempo-Thresh decks with Stifles and WL's, is it hard to keep a R source on the board? BoP helps. Second question - Could someone explain to me the beauty of the 1 Horizon Canopy? In straight GW, I could see running 1, 2, even 3. But in WGr, it seems like I am just taking damage from it. There have been too many opening hands where I have HC as my only W or G source and end up taking 3-5 damage. Very rarely do I KotR for it. I'm usually going for a fetch to thin my deck and pump KotR +2/+2 or grabbing a Bog, Grove, etc. I see how HC is good with LftL, but it seems like a card that doesn't make the cut in GWr. Final question - any GWr players consider a basic mountain? It ups the basic count to 3 and gives a permanent way to cast PF,REB, etc. In regards to PF, if you are using Grove as your only red source, then this removes the 'slow-death' option against control (pinging for 1 life a turn - if you are paying R to return and R to cast, they are gaining 2 life and you are dealing 2 damage, so it's a net, except to eliminate creatures). Thanks Guys!
    I agree with you that HC doesn't make the cut in GWr lists. I'd rather play more duals or fetches for a more stable manabase. Problem with the basic mountain is that it's rather difficult to fetch and can make some hands unplayable (if we are missing the initial green for a NH for instance). I don't think we should worry too much about our access to red. We have minimum 10 lands producing red (3 grove, 1 plateau 1 taiga, minimum 5 fetches), and we can always GSZ on birds or KotR on a grove. I think that's plenty enough for 3 red cards MD, even though they are quite mana-hungry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveric78f View Post
    In France, there is also some habits to say hello to your baker when you buy some bread, with no penalty if I don't. However if I don't do it, my fame is damaged. that is the reason why I always say hello to my baker in France.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

So today, I've been testing Glowriders maindeck instead of the Aven Mindcensor slot.

My problem with Mindcensors is that they just never did enough for my taste. By the time you get them out, your opponents have oftentimes already done the majority of their tutoring / fetching.

I had been testing Canonists main, thinking they would be good against Snapcaster decks, but what tended to end up happening is that they eat a removal spell, Snapcaster gets used anyways and Canonist doesn't really do what we wanted to do.

My theory on Glowrider is that it's more generally useful (such as against control decks or decks that run a lot of spells, ie Tempo Thresh). Costing 3 is both a good and bad thing these days - sure it's more expensive, but it also dodges Spell Snare.

I ended up playing against Elf combo, Bant Aggro, Merfolk, Canadian Thresh, then split in the T4.

Against Elf Combo, I was of course really kicking myself for not having Canonists main, but Jitte + our removal ended up being fine. Canonist + Etutors from the board worked great as well.

vs Bant Aggro, the Glowriders got boarded out as they have too many creatures plus Nobles help vs Glowriders.

vs Merfolk, I actually "got" my opponent some G1 when he was tapped out, then I played a Glowrider, which resolved, then a creature, which he tried to then Daze. Those came out postboard.

vs Canadian Thresh: I kept them in as an experiment. I think it's not amazing, but better than the things I took out (@Rukcus: With our discussion, I actually just took out both my Pridemages and the SFM's, leaving in all the equipment to be used naturally). G2, the Glowrider was extremely brutal since I managed to resolve a Choke as well.

This obviously needs more testing, but I thought I'd share my thoughts to bring up a card for discussion.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    vs Canadian Thresh: I kept them in as an experiment. I think it's not amazing, but better than the things I took out (@Rukcus: With our discussion, I actually just took out both my Pridemages and the SFM's, leaving in all the equipment to be used naturally). G2, the Glowrider was extremely brutal since I managed to resolve a Choke as well.
    Aside from being able to disrupt C.T. with Choke/Glowrider, did you feel that the deck was still aggressive enough vs them? Did the list run any Grim Lavamancer?

I'm starting to agree with _erbs that the best way to combat CanThresh is with AEther Vial. I don't think this deck wants it however, but G&Taxes uses it for much benefit. I'm just very hesitant to give up on the GSZ engine and its ability to pull out Ooze which is by far the best new card for the deck.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

From the brief chatter I see on the Tempo Thresh thread, Punishing Fire seems to be a solid way to deal with that MU. Give it another try, perhaps? I'm going to try and hunt down a few Groves.
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    Aside from being able to disrupt C.T. with Choke/Glowrider, did you feel that the deck was still aggressive enough vs them? Did the list run any Grim Lavamancer?

I'm starting to agree with _erbs that the best way to combat CanThresh is with AEther Vial. I don't think this deck wants it however, but G&Taxes uses it for much benefit. I'm just very hesitant to give up on the GSZ engine and its ability to pull out Ooze which is by far the best new card for the deck.
    The list I faced actually was running Lavamancers and Mongoose. Lavamancer I just plowed. Mongoose was a pain because it was blanking all the removal I brought in and I could only finally deal with it when I eventually got a Knight down.

In that matchup, I actually feel we are the control role. They have to Aggro / tempo us out before we stabilize because our mid-game guys (Knights, Thrun, Scavenging Ooze, GSZ) tend to trump their creatures and our removal spells are just better.

Punishing Fire Maverick is the Norwegian Team's Legacy deck in the finals of Worlds. Here's the list:

1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Forest
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Plains
    1 Plateau
    2 Savannah
    2 Taiga
    3 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Wooded Foothills

2 Aven Mindcensor
    1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Mother of Runes
    3 Noble Hierarch
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Stoneforge Mystic

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Life from the Loam
    4 Punishing Fire
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard
    1 Batterskull
    2 Blood Moon
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Purify the Grave
    1 Pyroblast
    2 Qasali Pridemage

It will end up going head to head with a Sneak and Show deck that the Japanese team is playing.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Well, that should be a fun match-up. Go Norway!
    -ktkenshinx-

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

The list looks solid, but my main complaint with the Fires builds right now is that the threat density is low (20 creatures). The only real threats the deck plays are KotR, and everything else is Voltron (assemble pieces together to get a threat).

If anyone is available on MTGO, I'd like to test out the deck more.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

That has been my issue with the PFires Maverick as well. Having your Groves get Wastelanded also sucks too. Loam helps, but we generally can't count on getting it.

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

I’m just back home after a 126 players tournament in Legnano. First of all, thanks everybody for the feedbacks on my sideboard plan, your help has been precious.

For today, I was expecting a lot of Canadian and Reanimator, and not so many combo. Therefore, I opted for Punishing Maverick, tweaked in this way:

4 Windswepth Heat
    2 Wooded Foothills
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Savannah
    1 Taiga
    1 Plateau
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    2 Wasteland
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Driad Arbor
    1 Karakas
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Mother of Runes
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Tarmogoyf
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Sylvan Library
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Noble Hierarch
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Birds of Paradise
    3 Punishing Fire
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow

Sideboard:
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Stony Silence
    1 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    2 Choke
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Pyroblast

I switched my last Horizon Canopy for the 3rd Savannah, agreeing with Water_Wizard and Maëlig, it doesn’t make the cut in Punishing Mav.
    Then, even if I’ve always been a great fan of Aven Mindcensor, I cut my last 2 for… 2 Tarmogoyf. I never wanted Goyf in GW Mav, but in Punishing it’s another story: more threats, and cheap ones, just requiring one green, work very well here. The 2x is a meta call, considering that I was expecting a lot of Canadian.

Mini report:

Round 1: Reanimator 2-1

Game 1 on the draw, I topdeck an Ooze but he has Jin-Jitaxian and an Angel of Despair in play before I can do anything. 0-1

+2 Enlightened Tutor
    +2 Choke
    +1 Path to Exile
    +1 Tormod’s Crypt
    +1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    +2 Red Elemental Blast
    +1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    +1 Thorn of Amethyst

-3 Punishing Fire
    -2 Stoneforge Mystic
    -1 Umezawa's Jitte
    -1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    -1 Life from the Loam
    -1 Gaddock Teeg
    -2 Sylvan Library

My hate crashes him 2 times.
    1-0-0

Round 2: Junk (without SFM) 2-0

Maybe it’s just my Junk opponents not so good with their deck, but this matchup continues to be very easy for me. Once removed their dark confidant, I never feel any pressure. Side:

+1 Path to Exile
    +1 Qasali Pridemage
    -1 Tarmogoyf
    -1 Gaddock Teeg

My Sword of Light and Shadow of course is quite nasty, and my knights + Wasteland never let him reach 6 mana for Deed for 3 around my Pridemage.
    2-0-0

Round 3: Canadian Threshold 2-0

I easily overwhelm him, as expected. Side:

+2 Red Elemental Blast
    +2 Choke
    +1 Path to Exile

-2 Stoneforge Mystic
    -1 Qasali Pridemage
    -1 Sylvan Library
    3-0-0

Round 4: GWb Maverick 2-1

This guy is splashing black for Dark Confidant and Perish (!) in side. Game 1 I cannot deal with his double MoR. Side:

+1 Path to Exile
    +1 Qasali Pridemage
    -1 Tarmogoyf
    -1 Gaddock Teeg

Game 2 and 3 I StP and burn all his early stuff and then crash him.
    4-0-0

Round 5: UWr Blade Control 2-0

Game 1 he removes a lot of my stuff, he has to bounce my only knight with Jace, I fry Jace @ 2 with Punishing Fire and then win. Side:

+2 Choke
    +2 Red Elemental Blast
    +1 Qasali Pridemage
    +1 Stony Silence

-2 Stoneforge Mystic
    -1 Umezawa's Jitte
    -1 Green Sun's Zenith
    -1 Maze of Hit

(I can see someone suggesting to keep the sword, but Stony Silence is much stronger here, and the SFM package is less useful than the other cards which I didn’t side out to make room for the obvious hate).
    Game 2 I attack his manabase while beating. He doesn’t live long enough to cast his Wrath of God...
    5-0-0

Whoa! Another one and it’s almost T8! But…

Round 6: UB Dreadnought 1-2

Game 1 I cannot understand what the heck is that. I see countertop, Go for the Troath, Jace, Snapcaster, but also Wasteland and Stifle. Mah? However I win. Side:

+2 Choke
    +2 Red Elemental Blast
    +2 Ethersworn Canonist (for Snappy)
    +1 Qasali Pridemage
    +1 Stony Silence

-2 Stoneforge Mystic
    -1 Umezawa's Jitte
    -1 Green Sun's Zenith
    -2 Swords to Plowshares
    -1 Maze of Hit

Game 2 he StP-Perish all my stuff and plays 4 Wastelands in a row (!), killing me with a Snapcaster and Dark Confidant.

Game 3 I start quite well, then he plays Go for the Throat on my Knight and then… Pyrexian Dreadnought + Stifle! I wasn’t expecting the lobster at all, and I die 2 turns later.
    5-1-0

Round 7: Canadian 0-2

We were playing in the same table the turn before, so we know the matchup. Game one I keep a hand with Windswepth Heat, Karakas, Dryad Arbor, 2x Mor, StP and Hierarch. Seems not bad; I fetch a Plains but he kills both my MoR, wastes the Karakas, bolts the Arbor and I never draw any other land. Urgh. Again, side:

+2 Red Elemental Blast
    +2 Choke
    +1 Path to Exile

-2 Stoneforge Mystic
    -1 Qasali Pridemage
    -1 Sylvan Library

Game 2 I keep a good hand, I don’t remember exactly but I fry a Delver, counter another one (with Pyroblast) and have a 6/6 Knight in play, which he double bolts to survive. But then… I only draw lands (something like 5 in a row…) and die to manaflood.
    I’m very disappointed… I’m missing T8 by losing to a very easy matchup. Too bad!
    5-2-0

Round 8: Elf Combo 2-1

Oh wow, this is the first time in my life I play this matchup
    Game 1 he’s quite unlucky, he just draws a Savannah which I waste immediately as I remove his elf, and when he could restart I’m already there with a charged Jitte. Side:

+2 Ethersworn Canonist
    +2 Enlightened Tutor
    +1 Path to Exile

-1 Qasali Pridemage
    -1 Life from the Loam
    -1 Maze of Hit
    -1 Scavenging Ooze

Game 2 he glimpses on turn 2 and plays a lot of stuff. When he passes I tutor for Canonist and play it in my 2nd turn. He immediately topdecks a Viridian Shaman (!) and plays Emrakul one turn later.

Game 3 I have an almost perfect match with T1 MoR, T2 Canonist, then SFM into Jitte, Ranger to untap the MoR, a second Canonist…
    6-2-0

So I finished 11th and won 4 Maelstrom Pulse. Top 8 was:

1) Canadian
    2) Canadian (the guy who beat me on turn 7)
    3) BU Dreadnought (the guy who beat me on turn 6)
    4) TES (played by a girl! Wow)
    5) GWr Maverick
    6) Big Zoo (w/Punishing Fire and Bloodbraid Elf)
    7) Stone Blade
    8) TES

In the end, I can say the deck is strong. It’s a while I’m playing it now and I have to say that the manabase is not an issue. The few times when I’ve been mana-screwed or flooded, it would have been the same if I had played GW. I also had no problem with wasted Grove of the Burnwillows, half of the few times it happened I just fetched for another one with a knight, and anyway even if you’re not recurring it forever, Punishing Fire is still a solid removal.

And, DEFINITELY, if you want the best configuration against Canadian, stop wondering, it’s Punishing Mav.
    Last edited by Morte; 11-21-2011 at 08:42 AM.

May 2006
    Philippines

@Morte
    congrats on the strong finish !

how was the rebs on the SB, do you think is it worth the slot, any plans on increasing its count ?

we also have a upcoming tourny in our place i'll post the result after, but i totally revamped the mav list , i think you guys will call me crazy for doing it, but based on playtesting its solid.

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

Quote Originally Posted by _erbs_ View Post
    how was the rebs on the SB, do you think is it worth the slot, any plans on increasing its count ?
    REB is great. Yesterday I sided in REB in 5/8 of the matches, and lost only to blue – this has no statistical significance ofc, but they say blue rules everywhere… Yes, probably I’ll try to increase the REB number to 3.

I’m also interested in the 2 sideboard Blood Moon (!) of the Norwegian Team's Legacy deck. It seems powerful but really hard to manage with just 2 basics, I can see it as an improved Choke effect, devastating against 3+ colors deck, even if non-blue. Any feedback? When would you side them in?

Quote Originally Posted by _erbs_ View Post
    we also have a upcoming tourny in our place i'll post the result after, but i totally revamped the mav list , i think you guys will call me crazy for doing it, but based on playtesting its solid.
    Research & innovation are always welcome! Good luck
    Last edited by Morte; 11-21-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

The Blood Moon idea strikes me as latent potential for Fire Mavs, but as Morte describes, the low level of duals hurts this plan. I do like that Blood Moon ends up being better than Choke across multiple decks.

I was thinking yesterday about an old card that hasn't seen play, which would be just as good against contorl: Winter orb. Maverick is mostly immune by running Scryb Ranger, Noble Hierarch, and KotR to cycle through tapped lands. The issue I see with this, is that KotR should really be finding Wastelands, and at that point Winter Orb won't be as effective against opponents with 1-3 lands.

Thoughts?
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    I was thinking yesterday about an old card that hasn't seen play, which would be just as good against contorl: Winter orb. Maverick is mostly immune by running Scryb Ranger, Noble Hierarch, and KotR to cycle through tapped lands. The issue I see with this, is that KotR should really be finding Wastelands, and at that point Winter Orb won't be as effective against opponents with 1-3 lands.

Thoughts?
    Good idea! What control decks would you board it in against? U/W Stoneblade? Against this deck, Choke seems like a better option. Plus, Choke dodges Spell Snare. I only play online, but it seems like I run into a lot of WG/WGr Maverick, U/W Stoneblade, URG Tempo and Burn. For me, Choke seems like a better option. I'm curious to see what in your meta your plan to board Orb against.
    There is a dissynergy wit Dryad Arbor and an awesome synergy with SoFaF and to a lesser degree Gaea's Cradle and Scryb Ranger/Quirion Ranger (as you mention above). I think the inclusion of Orb in the sb calls for at least an additional Ranger in the md. Also, Maze of Ith probably moves out of the board due to dissynergies with Orb.
    Orb is not an answer for Punishing Mav decks, as the Punishing engine is too mana intensive. Punishing Mav crushes URG Tempo, as bakofried and Morte note above. Punishing Fire kills Insects, Lavamancer and Snapcaster. Goyf and Nimble Mongoose are no match for KotR on the ground. A lot of times, they can't even touch your KotR with Lightning Bolt or Dismember. With Bog/Ooze, you can make 'Gofy, Mongoose small or disrupt Snapcaster. I've been able to kill 'Gofy with PF and selective graveyard removal. However, I have lost to Tempo a few times - mainly due to mana issues and a few amazing draws by my opponent. For the mana, as Ruckus points out, it's important to get your basics on board - I misplayed a few of the early games and suffered to some 3-wasteland 2-stifle draws by my opponent.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by Morte View Post
    Round 5: UWr Blade Control 2-0

Game 1 he removes a lot of my stuff, he has to bounce my only knight with Jace, I fry Jace @ 2 with Punishing Fire and then win. Side:

+2 Choke
    +2 Red Elemental Blast
    +1 Qasali Pridemage
    +1 Stony Silence

-2 Stoneforge Mystic
    -1 Umezawa's Jitte
    -1 Green Sun's Zenith
    -1 Maze of Hit

(I can see someone suggesting to keep the sword, but Stony Silence is much stronger here, and the SFM package is less useful than the other cards which I didn’t side out to make room for the obvious hate).
    Game 2 I attack his manabase while beating. He doesn’t live long enough to cast his Wrath of God...
    5-0-0
    I run a deck similar to yours. The first thing I remove against U/W Stoneblade is Swords to Plowshares. I usually go -4 STP, -1 Karakas/Teeg (I keep Teeg if I expect WOG/Jace/Elspeth, although he slows down our GSZ and a lot of time they take out FOW. Karakas protects our Thrun (bounce him to WOG), but doesn't help out against their deck - I'm not going to bounce their Clique) +2 REB, +1 Thrun, +2 Choke. I find PF is fine for handling Stoneforge, Snapcaster, Clique, etc. I'm not going to STP these small guys or Batterskull. I run 2 Pridemage main (found I was putting the 2nd in every game, so I just left it in). I'll post my decklist later so we can discuss, but it's your 75 +/- 4 or 5 cards. Also, I put the Horizon Canopy in (currently 2 Savannah, 1 Taiga, 1 Plateau) and it worked well this weekend (only played 3 matches, but it was nice to eot KotR for Horizon, sac, draw, KotR gets +2/+2 and it also combos well with LftL + protects LftL from non-Extirpate gy hate).

Thread Information