Page 6 of 428 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

So, I went 4:0 at my local today, playing Morte's list - SoLaS + Batterskull - Maze of Ith + Basic Forest,
    SB:

3 Krosan Grip
    3 Choke
    2 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Null Rod
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Loaming Shaman

My MUs were Affinity 2:0, Gerry T. Landstill 2:1, Mirror 2:1, UW Tempo 2:0. I was pretty happy how everything worked out, especially that I managed to beat LS.

Some thoughts:

- I think at least 1 Bird is justified, I want to stuff as much evasion into the deck as possible.
    - Gaea's Cradle is a must as it stands. It saved my ass a few times when I went Mystic, cast equipment and swing.
    - I think I will test a second scryb ranger, but I'm not too sure what to cut.
    - Batterskull didn't have much impact today.

First off congrats on your win.

I have a couple of questions for you regarding your list.

-Did you ever missed not playing Mental Misstep?
    -How did the Batterskull faired for you in the long haul?

It looks like a lot of people have been going in the same direction as me with this deck. Here is my list as of current.

// Lands
    1 [DK] Maze of Ith
    1 [LG] Karakas
    1 [US] Gaea's Cradle
    2 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
    1 [FUT] Dryad Arbor
    3 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
    3 [A] Savannah
    2 [TE] Wasteland
    2 [ZEN] Plains (4a)
    1 [ZEN] Forest (1)
    4 [ON] Windswept Heath
    1 [ON] Flooded Strand

// Creatures
    4 [CFX] Noble Hierarch
    1 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
    4 [WWK] Stoneforge Mystic
    2 [TSP] Scryb Ranger
    3 [UL] Mother of Runes
    3 [CFX] Knight of the Reliquary
    1 [ARB] Qasali Pridemage
    3 [TSP] Serra Avenger
    3 [MBS] Mirran Crusader

// Spells
    4 [MBS] Green Sun's Zenith
    2 [ALA] Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    4 [IA] Swords to Plowshares
    1 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
    1 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 [NPH] Batterskull

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [ARB] Qasali Pridemage
    SB: 2 [IN] Dueling Grounds
    SB: 2 [ALA] Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 1 [LRW] Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 2 [MBS] Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 1 [SHM] Vexing Shusher
    SB: 2 [WL] Serenity
    SB: 1 [MBS] Thrun, the Last Troll
    SB: 1 [WL] Null Rod
    SB: 2 [MI] Enlightened Tutor

I am not entirely sold on batterskull maindeck. Yes, it is a tutorable threat with stoneforge, and yes it gains life; it just seems that everytime i get it out that it is win more. I was at 4 mother of runes, but the space in this deck is so tight, that I sadly had to drop it again. I would like to make room for another qasali main deck but I just don't know what to cut for it. Perhaps an avenger. I just like that a majority of my threats have evasion. I find that when you get down to attrition, cards with evasion are usually the decider. The only real reason I even run a goyf in this list is for a tutorable 2 drop outside of qasali. It has crossed my mind to cut him, but he is the best pound for pound fighter in legacy.

Questions -

Those who I see with thrun maindeck, does your testing merit his inclusion? or is that a meta call?

I've seen a couple opinions as to the correct equipment choices. I personally have been using feast and famine since I went up in stoneforge mystic targets. Those who have been using light and shadow, do you find that it warrant its spot?

How do you like the sylvan library, for those who play it? I like to have a lot of threats in my version, so there are very little frills. I would like to test it though. I would like to hear from those who currently use it, and I will give my opinion after some of my own games.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I have sound Sylvan Library important in SB games more than Game 1's. This is because you want to really find your SB cards, and Library helps you dig to find them. Against control and black attrition, it also helps to sandbag the threats until you are ready to cast them. Finally, it allows you to prevent drawing equipment off the top, by putting them back then shuffling them out with SFM.

In most of the games I've played, I've used it to push through pockets of non-lands/lands that we normally don't have much control over.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

May 2011
    NRW, Germany

@slate-
    I don't like the idea of playing less than 4 KotR in the Deck. Even with 4 GSZ, you always want to draw him(even in multiples) in like every matchup. Having 2 Knights on the Board means you can equip one and beat w/ exalted and use the other one for pure utility. He's an awesome topdeck and still the best standalone beater we have in the deck, even with no evasion (in a healthy meta, if yours is full of TA and NO Bant, playing 3 Mirrans instead might be ok)

Well, i am not an expert in zenith version of deck (I run vial), but I will say my feelings:

Cradle must be included (cause playing stoneforge and equiping the same turn) and maze of ith is not needed.

I would play 4 stoneforge mystic, cause is the most destabilizing card of the deck. I think batterskull is slow, and i prefer the old swords. If you run evasive creatures, like birds of paradise, sword of body and mind isnt necessary.

I prefer mother of runes rather than misteps. Mother + bear is autowin vs combo, has sinergy with scryb ranger, and is the most important card in mirror games.

The blue control decks, such as landstill UW, BUG, MUC... are booming, and these are not a good MU. Nowadays i would run a sb like this:

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 [SHM] Wheel of Sun and Moon
    SB: 1 [ALA] Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 [MI] Enlightened Tutor
    SB: 3 [LRW] Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 3 [8E] Choke
    SB: 1 [NPH] Batterskull

I've been playing this deck for a few weeks now running the NO package (3-1 this week). I see NO mentioned on the first page, but I haven't seen it included in any deck lists yet.

Any comments? I'm sort of new to the format, but I'm fairly consistent at least going 2-2 or 3-1 every week. The batterskull was a new addition for me this week; it ended up winning me a few games.

I'm running:
    1 Fauna Shaman
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Mother of Runes
    4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Progenitus
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Tarmogoyf
    1 Terravore

1 Batterskull
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Natural Order
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    2 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Plains
    3 Savannah
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath

SB:
    1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Choke
    2 Mirran Crusader
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Tormod's Crypt

Oct 2010
    Ventura, CA

Quote Originally Posted by MattHouse View Post
    I've been playing this deck for a few weeks now running the NO package (3-1 this week). I see NO mentioned on the first page, but I haven't seen it included in any deck lists yet.

Any comments? I'm sort of new to the format, but I'm fairly consistent at least going 2-2 or 3-1 every week. The batterskull was a new addition for me this week; it ended up winning me a few games.

I'm running:
    1 Fauna Shaman
    2 Mother of Runes
    4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Progenitus
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Tarmogoyf
    1 Terravore

1 Batterskull
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Natural Order
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    2 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Plains
    3 Savannah
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath

SB:
    1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Choke
    2 Mirran Crusader
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    My first thought when looking at your list is cut the Fauna Shaman for Gaddock Teeg, it's a much more valuable GSZ target. My two cents...

Edit: also 2 mom? Why not 4? I would cut a couple goyfs for her.

Gaddock disables natural order, in addition to green sun zenith.
    Fauna shaman is needed to discard progenitus when you draw it. yuo can GSZ to fauna and then discarding progenitus

Oct 2010
    Ventura, CA

hahaha my bad, not used to a NO package. I'll shut up now

Quote Originally Posted by Bzka View Post
    @slate-
    I don't like the idea of playing less than 4 KotR in the Deck. Even with 4 GSZ, you always want to draw him(even in multiples) in like every matchup. Having 2 Knights on the Board means you can equip one and beat w/ exalted and use the other one for pure utility. He's an awesome topdeck and still the best standalone beater we have in the deck, even with no evasion (in a healthy meta, if yours is full of TA and NO Bant, playing 3 Mirrans instead might be ok)
    Well it went from 4 kotr to 3 kotr and a terravore to just 3 kotr. Yeah he gets big, but Mirran is usually a much bigger threat to most decks. So I went with a 3/3 split of mirran and kotr. I also play only 22 land 1 being maze of ith. So the lack of the set of wastelands and horizon canopy's also factored into my decision. He is also my main gsz target, so it's not like I miss seeing him, in fact i see him plenty.

For all those who are playing mirran crusader, how does he fitt into the GSZ plan as he cant be fetched and what did you cut for playing him?

I personally do not like NO versions without blue. I realize fauna can discard the prog if you draw him, but that can be very slow. also, w/ blue decks EVERYWHERE playing NO just seems like a very bad gamble without any protection

Dec 2007
    Northern Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Barnie25 View Post
    For all those who are playing mirran crusader, how does he fitt into the GSZ plan as he cant be fetched and what did you cut for playing him?
    What shall be the "GSZ plan"? Imho GSZ adds more flexibility to the deck by allowing to play virtual 5 grenn creatures by just adding one to the deck. Mirran Crussader ist not a really versatile card. He's simply a good beater and the prot:green can help a lot in the current meta.

I actually run the following list:

3 Savannah
    2 Horizon Canopy
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Wasteland
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Forest
    2 Plains
    (at the moment I'm fine with 22 Land and 2 Wastelands, but im thinking about either adding another Wasteland or just run 21 lands within 2 Wasteland)

4 GSZ
    4 StoP
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull (forces the opponent to "waste" his removal on SFM so that you either create CA +1 or have another early threat, it's also quite useful agains BUG-Stil)
    1 SoFaI

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 KnotR
    4 SFM
    3 Aven Mindcensor (probably one of the most insane cards in the mirror or against BigZoo if flashed in early)
    2 Mirran Crusader
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Terravore
    There will never be another me

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Hey guys, good to see your still testing many variation of deck. Here is report from 23 men tournament.

The tournament:
    http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/deck.php?id=6245

The list:
    http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...5&iddeck=45255

Round 1 - B/W Discard

This MU isn't favorable, a lot of hand disruption + removal (StP, Vindicate) connected with Confidants CA. Then real beaters like Phyrexian Obiterator, Mirrian Cursader and SFM with Equips (Battleskull included)

In this MU MVP was often cut Sword of Light and Shadow. Mostly players forgot that Germ from Battleskull is also black, this mean that equipped creature was unblockable, and unkill able (only vindicate can stop you).

Don't remember every detail from this games but I raced him out with Goyf connected with SoLS then he Vindicate it, and i bring it back again with Eternal Witness from GSZ.

Sided in:
    2 Wing Shards - very good vs protected/equipped beaters
    2 Life from the Loam
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph - it can dodge GftT

Sided out:
    1 Rafiq of the Many
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Rhox War Monk
    1 Mental Misstep

Game plan after side was simple - Equips + Recurring Dryad Arbor and Maze from Life from the Loam.
    2-1

Round 2

NO RUG

This game wasn't hard, but I lost first one (MM into my hierarch then 3rd turn Hydra coudn't race it).

I sided:

2 Wing Shards - good vs hydra
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph - again great card
    1 E. Tutor
    2 Choke

Sided out:

1 Rafiq of the Many
    2 Elspeth Knight-Errant
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    2 Qasali Pridemage

I kept quite hand with 2 Wing Shards, Scryb Ranger, and Hierarch and 3 lands. Unfortunately I didn't drew anything except lands for 10 rounds which was very unlucky. I take off Goyf, then Goyf + Hierarch with Jitte (he wanted to be smart after first Wing Shards and attack also with Hierarch - I casted on flash Scryb Ranger then Wing Shards with storm count +1 ;) ) - at the end I died from second Hierarch with Jitte which was sad.
    0-2

Round 3 - Landstill U/W/(g) for krosan grips

I was little nervous about this MU - i took of Thrun out. I win the roll and overwhelmed him with good tempo + wastelands, keeping alive Gaddock Teeg with Mental Missteps was hey to fast victory.

Side in:
    2 Choke
    2 Krosan Grip
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Life from the Loam
    1 Bojuka Bog

Side out:
    2 Swords to Plowshare (2 stay for breaking Standstill and killing Mishra's)
    1 Rafiq of the Many
    1 Rhox War Monk
    1 Terravore
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Knight of the Reliquary - that was hard

In second game I faced a lot of GY hate but I played quite controlish will avenger tempo strategy, I needle Jace, Played Gaddock and protect him. He played humility after next StP, Karakas safe it - I had Krosan in hand i waited two turns then played GSZ for 3 and In resp to it blow up Humility, then bring Krosan back with Eternal Witness - under Humility I could play GSZ, but couldn't abuse creatures from it so that's why I needed to wait that 2 turns to make mana base. Opponent was playing very slow but in state 1-0 for me I could wait for his long thinking turns - I tell him that he is playing slow and give advice to speed up a little.

Game ends 1-0-1

Round 4 - Spiral Tide

Quite hard MU key was Gaddock + Tempo and its works - I won first game which was surprise. I missteped twice his cantrip so his hand wasn't great - he miss 3rd land drop once which was enough for KotR swing to death. He also played Missteps list included on thecouncil.es

Side in:
    Ethersworn Canonist
    Pithing Needle - I recognize that he cut Calderabras in list - and mostly this card is sided out so Needle only vs Fetchlands - but I missed.
    2 Choke

Side out:
    4 Sword to Plowshares

I didn't have real sideboard vs this kind of combo so my only plan was fast clock + one of the two hatebears and slow down with choke if I force him to tapout.

I lost second game in turn 3, he spell Pierce my GSZ then kill me with storm count after first time spiral - I didn't drew any missteps.

Game 3 I had really good hand - Canonist, 2 Missteps, Hierarch and Elspeth, He couldn't fight though it.

2-1

Round 5

NO RUG (not the same guy as in round 2)

This time I have very good draws and push Gaddock on table then protect him, I eated him with KotRs/Goyfs which was bigger he could burn. Game two was similar sideboard plan the same as in round 2.

I sided:

2 Wing Shards - good vs hydra
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph - again great card
    1 E. Tutor
    2 Choke

Sided out:

1 Rafiq of the Many
    2 Elspeth Knight-Errant
    2 Qasali Pridemage

Top4:
    Aggro RUG with Jaces

This MU was much diffrent than NO RUG, he had other game plan, so am I. First game was on my favorable - fast tempo countering his Spell Snare and avoding daze from Scryb Ranger. Then put out of burn range creatures only real danger was bounce from jace, and early lavamancer which i StP.

Side in:
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Choke
    2 Life from the Loam

Side out:
    1 Rafiq of the Many - obv bolt kills it
    1 Terravore - it dies after relic of progenitus
    2 Elspeth Knight-Errant - that is questionable

After Mull to 5 on opponent side was gg, I kept waste+loam lock + beater. He submerge me twice but everytime he submerge I drew other beater, then I Pithing Jace and mostly it was gg.

In finals I take a split (could play but it was late, wastelands are nice ;])

Congrats on the result, nice to see the deck doing as well as it does!

Did you ever utilize the Rafiq or missed not playing battle skull, a third SFM or MoR?

Congrats on your deck's good performance!

Just an observation.. It seems that you sided out Rafiq more often than your other cards.. Does that mean Rafiq is a win more card?

How about Thrun? A definite powerhouse against blue-based decks and can dodge spot removals.. :p

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

This is my updated list. Thanks to Tao and Philipp2293 for their critical thinking

// Lands (23)
    4 Savannah
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    4 Windswept heath
    2 Wooded Foothills
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Horizon Canopy
    4 Wasteland
    1 Gaea’s Cradle
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Bojuka Bog

// Creatures (24)
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Noble Hierarch
    3 Mirran Crusader
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Terravore
    1 Eternal Witness

// Spells (13)
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

I cut 1 Noble Hierarch to up to 4 SFM.
    Second choice would have been Mirran Crusader, but I really want to see at least one per match, so, being it not tutorable with GSZ, I couldn't accept to run less than 3.

I considered to add 1 BoP, but the only acceptable switch would have been Scryb Ranger, which I found more versatile, or another Noble Hierarch, which I prefer for exalted - I already have a flyer with the Ranger.

I'm testing again -1 SoLaS +1 Batterskull (everybody seem to agree with this, I should consider that maybe I was wrong:-)

More considerations about the mana base. I went -1 Karakas +1 Bojuka Bog and I like it. Nowadays legends are not the main threat, while Bog is widely useful: besides GY decks there are a lot of applications, I liked how it shrinks opposing KoR or turns off Lavamancers.

I upped the fetchland count from 5 to 7 (I had some issue with the size of my early KoR) with 6 targets (4 Savannah, 1 forest and 1 plains).

I have a question: many people play 2 forests with 3 Savannahs, what's the purpose for that? I don's see enough fetchlands to plan to play basics only during first turns.
    Last edited by Morte; 06-10-2011 at 08:16 AM.

You got a nice list. I like 4 stoneforge maind deck

I'm testing again -1 SoLaS +1 Batterskull (everybody seem to agree with this, I should consider that maybe I was wrong:-)
    I don´t agree. I still use SOLAS, and baterskull on sb vs zoo, burn, merfolks and pernicius decks.

More considerations about the mana base. I went -1 Karakas +1 Bojuka Bog and I like it. Nowadays legends are not the main threat, while Bog is widely useful: besides GY decks there are a lot of applications, I liked how it shrinks opposing KoR or turns off Lavamancers.
    Are you sure? the new Gin-taxias improves reanimator, and there are still many emrakuls on metagame. It works Vs a very played card: vendilion. The other reason is that you can use it to get mana

I have a question: many people play 2 forests with 3 Savannahs, what's the purpose for that? I don's see enough fetchland to plan to play basics only during first turns.
    I think playing only 2 basic lands and 4 savannahs is the correct way

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

Thanks for your feedback.

In effect, Bojuka Bog is a very bad draw early game. Need more testing, as for Batterskull vs. SoLaS.

Thread Information