Page 61 of 428 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

Dear sirs, excuse my lazyness.

Aug 2011
    Minneapolis

I'm trying to figure out if I should run one Absolute Law in the sideboard for this weekend.. I'm playing the rukcus build and sideboard, thinking about -1 [something?] +1 absolute law.

I'm not worried about the traditional (at this point) RUG matchup, but moreso that U/R burn thing.

I have no time to test this whatsoever, and I don't even know if it's that great of an idea.

Input?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

In all honesty, Thorns would be better against U/R burn lists than Absolute Law. The card is so narrow and provides very little help in that matchup against Delver of Secrets anyway.

Possible changes to the sideboard would include the inclusion of
    Purify the Grave
    Honorable Passage
    Aegis of Honor
    Circle of Protection: Blue
    Story Circle
    Arena
    Dueling Grounds

And even those are a stretch in usefulness.

I do want to consider Behemoth Sledge as it's slightly easier to equip than Batterskull, and Armadillo Cloak is just awesome! (Ask Kibler!) But I don't feel that it's better than the 3rd option (Batterskull/SoFF/SoLS).

The best way to fight back against Threshold is to play more removal. Path to Exile #1 and #2 would be the best against these decks. It's nice that they don't have any basics to recover from the drawback. For the red versions, +3 REB should do the trick, leaving StP to handle Goyfs.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    I've cut the Mindcensors to make room for 2nd Ooze about a month ago. I've since cut Eternal Witness for a 2nd Scryb Ranger, and most recently, cut 1 (of 2) Sylvan Library for a Tarmogoyf.

More threats means less impact from Spell Snare.

EDIT: And yes, Ooze is fucking awesome! It finds so much utility in Maverick (or GSZ based deck really).
    I have found Sylvan Library to be one of the best cards in the deck; it is especially good against decks like BUG and UW, a couple of the top decks right now. I would run second Library over second Ooze and DEFINITELY over second Scryb Ranger.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Patrunkenphat7 View Post
    I have found Sylvan Library to be one of the best cards in the deck; it is especially good against decks like BUG and UW, a couple of the top decks right now. I would run second Library over second Ooze and DEFINITELY over second Scryb Ranger.
    Don't get me wrong, it's great against UW and B/x decks. It's mediocre against RUG & UR, and just average everywhere else. Against Tempo (which, I'm guessing is going to be the largest segment of SCG Invitational), it's not a card that I'm thrilled to be casting on turn 2. Given a choice between casting a creature and casting Sylvan Library against CanThresh, I would elect to play the creature.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

I'm trying to figure out if I should run one Absolute Law in the sideboard for this weekend.. I'm playing the rukcus build and sideboard, thinking about -1 [something?] +1 absolute law.
    I tested this a bit. I was enthusiastic about the idea but I agree with rukcus. You can deal with Lavamancers other ways and Absolute Law is narrow -- you're probably better off with something broader in the slot that still helps, like Thorn of Amethyst, Path to Exile, a second sword, etc.

You guys remember this list with Batterskull in SB and Mortarpod in main as the third equipment?: http://thecouncil.es/tcdecks/deck.ph...4&iddeck=51895

I was testing that card (Mortarpod) in SB instead of a second Path to Exile and, besides being hilarious, it was kind of nice. I've only played with it a little and I won't go so far as suggest it, but something funny to experiment with if you like.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

The best way to fight back against Threshold is to play more removal. Path to Exile #1 and #2 would be the best against these decks. It's nice that they don't have any basics to recover from the drawback. For the red versions, +3 REB should do the trick, leaving StP to handle Goyfs.
    For the Red versions, I think 2 REB is enough. Punishing Fire wrecks Delver.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    For the Red versions, I think 2 REB is enough. Punishing Fire wrecks Delver.
    Wouldn't REBs be more for snapcasters? Yes, punishing fires is awesome against delvers, but countering a snappy is way better than simply killing it. I'd run at least three.
    "There are some who call me...Tim"

May 2006
    Philippines

@UGR topic
    Just wondering hows the match up of fire mav against RUG ?
    Since you guys are saying that the additional 3 PTE on the side vs RUG is a good plan, whats your win % against them ? is it around 70% ?

@Snapcaster Issue / Combo
    Like what the other posters had poster, canonist is much better on a GW list over red mav, you may want to try spellskite, grand abolisher if you guys are having problems with with canonist.

I ran 2 spellskite in my list and its a house vs RUG decks and ensures you that you can equip your creatures safely.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

REB targets Snapcaster in flight, which is better than Shock to kill it. 3 PTE seems excessive for limited SB space. 2 is usually enough considering that once they lose their clocks we have free reign to attack with equipment.

Spellskite would be good... if we ran Doran. more zero or low power utility creatures is starting to hurt the aggressive side.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

// Lands
    4 [ON] Windswept Heath
    4 [R] Savannah
    2 [ON] Flooded Strand
    2 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
    4 [TE] Wasteland
    3 [SOM] Plains (1)
    1 [SOM] Forest (1)
    1 [LG] Karakas
    1 [FUT] Dryad Arbor

// Creatures
    4 [UL] Mother of Runes
    4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
    4 [ARB] Qasali Pridemage
    4 [TSP] Serra Avenger
    3 [LRW] Gaddock Teeg
    3 [WWK] Stoneforge Mystic
    3 [CFX] Knight of the Reliquary

// Spells
    4 [CST] Swords to Plowshares
    2 [5E] Sylvan Library
    1 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
    1 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 [DS] Sword of Light and Shadow
    4 [DS] AEther Vial

// Sideboard
    SB: 4 [ALA] Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 2 [FNM] Krosan Grip
    SB: 3 [COM] Path to Exile
    SB: 3 [DDD] Faerie Macabre
    SB: 1 [COM] Bojuka Bog
    SB: 2 [MBS] Thrun, the Last Troll

The list I plan on bringing with me to the Open on Sunday, and some win-a-boxes on Saturday. I just feel Aether Vial is too broken to pass up. . and so many people can't deal with Serra Avengers it's not even funny. .toss on some equip and it's over.

I don't know how big to expect reanimator vs dredge. . . reanimator huge in my meta which is why those are Faerie Macabre's over Crypts or something.

Anything you guys would recommend except going to a GSZ list?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    I think Mental Misstep has kind of stepped in as the new deputy card for Legacy, policing the gunfights at high noon, while Sheriff Force of Will gets to take a little more time off, spend some more days at the saloon, and reminisce of the days when Legacy was simpler and wasn't described by unnecessary wild west metaphors.

May 2006
    Philippines

REB targets Snapcaster in flight, which is better than Shock to kill it. 3 PTE seems excessive for limited SB space. 2 is usually enough considering that once they lose their clocks we have free reign to attack with equipment.

Spellskite would be good... if we ran Doran. more zero or low power utility creatures is starting to hurt the aggressive side.
    Would the 2 PTE bring your win percent to 65-75% against RUG ? If all of you would say yes, then i guess there is really something wrong on how i play mav. Because my experience says adding 2 PTE and cutting 2 pridemage for it during g2 and g3 will not give you a 75% chance of winning against them especially on g3 where you are on the draw.

For me things i consider before i good my hand especially against RUG are 2 lands 1 fetch 1 mor or 1 mana dork, if i happen to draw 2 fetch and just mor on the draw i will surely mull, having that said getting what i want becomes harder and harder each mulligan.

@Neuad
    I've tried using sylvan before but i didn't liked it because i feel SDT is much more beneficial, if you have lifelink or lifegain then i can say sylvan is much better over SDT. In my earlier build i've tried running teegs but i didn't like him seems off and weak. Tarmogoyf right now seems to be a good choice as alot of people are running sorcery thus making your deck less reliant to equips as compared to the traditional mav.

Im still not closing my doors on the GSZ build as like what i've posted earlier vials are dead draws as compared to GSZ. But i will test behemoth sledge and add tarmo & terravore to my creature base mix (gsz build).

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by Neuad View Post
    . . and so many people can't deal with Serra Avengers it's not even funny. .toss on some equip and it's over.

I don't know how big to expect reanimator vs dredge. . . reanimator huge in my meta which is why those are Faerie Macabre's over Crypts or something.

Anything you guys would recommend except going to a GSZ list?
    If you expect a lot of reanimator/dredge, then definitely throw Scavenging Ooze in your list. Also, consider moving Bojuka Bog main - also helps against opposing KotR.

Serra Avenger = Delver and Lightning bolt? See posts above.

I just want to point out that when people are saying 'REB' it should really be Pyroblast. Pyroblast is better now that Phantasmal Image is a relevant card in Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrunkenphat7 View Post
    I just want to point out that when people are saying 'REB' it should really be Pyroblast. Pyroblast is better now that Phantasmal Image is a relevant card in Legacy.
    Haha, are you Joe on Channelfireball (See comment #2)?

http://www.channelfireball.com/artic...better-brewer/

Quote Originally Posted by Artlee View Post
    Haha, are you Joe on Channelfireball (See comment #2)?

http://www.channelfireball.com/artic...better-brewer/
    I am actually Patrunkenphat7 on Channelfireball. I did make this same comment on the RUG vs. UW article; Joe copied me! haha

http://www.channelfireball.com/artic...uw-stoneforge/

Sep 2007
    MN

Rebs should be pyro's, but to me, typing in caps and your overall tone came off as a tad juvenile.

Quote Originally Posted by conboy31 View Post
    Rebs should be pyro's, but to me, typing in caps and your overall tone came off as a tad juvenile.
    Um you can read the other posts in which I was extremely nice about it. All previous posts were ignored as the writers continue to make the same mistakes... It's a little annoying when you read an article about achieving deck-building perfection, and you see that it completely ignores all of the recent posts in other articles to create a suboptimal list. Also in that article he was quoting other people's remarks from previous articles. It made me sad.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Ya good point about Pyroblast. In the general sense I write REB for shortness, but Pyroblast is preferred.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Channelfireball has a video series playing RUG Tempo (Snappy) vs a rather poor build of Maverick (blame Matt Nass). LSV plays the Tempo deck, and gets demolished. I think that it's generally LSV's play style rather than the deck, but even then Maverick still shows to have a good matchup against Tempo. I think the match really comes down to whether or not Tempo has turn 1 Delver (or even turn 2/3 delvers back to back).

Linky: RUG Tempo vs Maverick [channelfireball.com]

Also, the Hatfields put together a compilation of the last 5 SCG events, and the most relevant information about Maverick from that article:

"Another one of those decks is G/W Maverick, which had a strong win percentage that gets much stronger if you limit your attention to generic lists [GW strictly - rukcus]. Those seven players won more than 58% of their matches."

Linky: Too Much Info by the Hatfields [starcitygames.com]

Discuss.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Thread Information