Page 7 of 428 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

I have a question: many people play 2 forests with 3 Savannahs, what's the purpose for that? I don's see enough fetchlands to plan to play basics only during first turns.
    I have 2 forest/3 Savannah in my list for a few reasons. It seems like every match I play my opponent has wastelands in their opening hand. I'm always fetching for basics the first few turns anyways, with GSZ and Hierarch I never have a problem not having the color that I need. Lastly... I only own 3 Savannahs :)

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Morte View Post
    I upped the fetchland count from 5 to 7 (I had some issue with the size of my early KoR) with 6 targets (4 Savannah, 1 forest and 1 plains).

I have a question: many people play 2 forests with 3 Savannahs, what's the purpose for that? I don's see enough fetchlands to plan to play basics only during first turns.
    I actually go the other extreme - 2 of each basics and 2 Savannahs. I'm paranoid about getting blown out from opposing Wastelands, and the basics give a huge consistency within the first 4 turns of the game. If I know that my opponent isn't on Wasteland, then I'll search out Savannah. But for the most part, getting basics hasn't affected my early-game development. This is especially true with Mental Misstep being common - nothing is worse than getting Misstep'd on our 1-drop, then getting Waste'd the next turn.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Another reason is KotR. It sucks a lot if you have him in play and you are out of Basics against all the nonstandard hate. With just 1 Forets, 1 Plains that would happen on the first activation.

I can agree with at least 2 basic forest + 1 basic plains, but while I was running 2/2 I always hated the 2nd plains. Atm I'm fine with running 2/1.

Too bad I have little to no time to contribute, I love to see that much discussion on G/W.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp2293 View Post
    I can agree with at least 2 basic forest + 1 basic plains, but while I was running 2/2 I always hated the 2nd plains. Atm I'm fine with running 2/1.

Too bad I have little to no time to contribute, I love to see that much discussion on G/W.
    I thought this was the case too, until I added Mother of Runes back into the deck. This brings the total white card count to:

3 Mother of Runes
    4 SFM
    4 STP
    2 Elspeth

The last card is essentially the reason we need the 2nd basic Plains in the deck. I have no problem playing on 3 lands as long as they are basic. Furthermore, we have Scryb Ranger to allow us 1 extra "green" mana which reduces the dependence on needing 2 basic Forests to produce . I'm a big fan of basics for this deck, and have not experienced any significant drawbacks from the 2nd Plains.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Playing Scryb Ranger is an argument for playing more Savannahs actually because he counters Wasteland activations on them.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I could see that as an argument for reducing the amount of basic Forest, but not the need for basic Plains. I think it's just splitting hairs at this point, however. At minimum this deck should be playing 2 basic Forests and 1 basic Plains.

Also, versions that run Mirran Crusader stand to gain a consistency from playing with 2 basic Plains as well.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I ran GW/u Maverick in an MTGO Daily Event, and didn't drop a single game.

Round 1 - Hive Mind Combo
    Game 1 - Wasteland + MM on Brainstorm was enough to slow him down.
    Game 2 - Wasteland + MM on Brainstorm + 2 Teegs slowed him down. (He FOW'd both)

Round 2 - Death & Taxes
    Game 1 - Outclassed in all threats, and tutoring power. Mental Misstep on 1 drops help out too.
    Game 2 - See game one.

Round 3 - Tezzeret Affinity
    Game 1 - T1: GSZ for Arbor. T2: Waste land, QPM. T3: Swords Guy1, QPM Guy2, Glimmervoid dies. T4+: Terravore + SoFI clean up in 2 turns
    Game 2 - Needle on Tezz, QPM dispatches Plating. I'm at 13 against 2 Myr Enforcers and a Frogmite - upkeep E-Tutor for Serenity and play it. He has to topdeck Cranial Plating to win; instead he gets Perish killing my Dryad Arbor, and attacks me down to 3. Untap, play KotR - he +1 tezz (2 now). Untap, kill Tezz, win game.

Round 4 - Loaming Eva Depths
    Game 1 - Tabernacle slows me down, but I already get a Batterskull out. 5 turns later, game is over.
    Game 2 - He keeps a bad mana hand (Sereji Steppe, Dryad Arbor, Urborg etc) and I destroy his mana base with Wastelands. Finally get a SFM into Batterskull and it's over.

This is the list I ran:

Maindeck (61 cards)
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Savannah
    2 Forest
    2 Plains
    2 Horizon Canopy
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Karakas
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Dryad Arbor

4 Noble Hierarch
    2 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Scryb Ranger
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    3 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Terravore
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll

3 Mental Misstep

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire/Ice
    2 Sylvan Library
    2 Elspeth

Sideboard:
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Mirran Crusader
    2 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Choke
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 Serenity
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Dec 2010
    SO Cal

man I'm liking your SB options a lot more reasonable that what I'm rolling now.

if anything I wanna add phyrexian metamorph well compare notes when i see you

Jun 2009
    Germany

I played a GW list at BOM 5 an finished 6-2-1, after losing the first 2 rounds an not losing the other 7 :P

List:
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    3 Savannah
    4 Wasteland
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Maze of Ith
    2 Horizon Canopy
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Karakas
    1 Dryad Arbor

4 GSZ
    4 StoP
    4 Aether Vial
    1 Jitte
    1 SoFI

4 Hierarch
    4 KotR
    2 Aven Mindcensor
    2 Mangara of Corondor
    1 Thrun
    1 Gaddock
    1 Quirion Ranger
    1 Scryb Ranger
    4 Mother of Runes
    2 SFM
    2 Pridemage
    1 Goyf

SB:
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Choke
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 PtE
    1 Crypt
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Null Rod
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine

While I did like Mangara through the tournament, I think I would cut her at the moment. I must admit that this decklist ins't mine, I copy&pasted it from a local player who finished very good with the deck in some minor tournaments. So, my matchups (very short):
    Round 1: ANT, he finishes me off first turn in both games...yeah, well played.
    Round 2: Team America. I make a horrible play mistake and lose 1-2.
    Round 3: UWr Counterburn with Ninja of the Deep Hours. Strange. 2-0.
    Round 4: Eva Green. 2-1. It should be 2-0, but I was tired from the roadtrip the day before -.-.
    Round 5: Enchantress 2-1. Yep, I'm proud of that one.
    Round 6: UW Control. 2-0. I honestly don´t know what he was plaing till now. I saw Counterbalance, Top and Peacekeeper (I kept Swords in, because I'm that good at reading people!)
    Round 7: Team America. 1-1. Intense matches, draw is ok.
    Round 8: Junk. This is the match I like the best, because I topdecked like a pro. He thoughtseized me and took my SFM, just to face the SFM I drew right after that. I won't forget the look on his face for a long time :D:D:D 2-0
    Round 9: Stax. I think he misplayed at some points, but I take what I get. 2-1.

I think I could have finished better (7-1-1 was good enogh for Top16 for most players!) but I'm ok with the outcome. Right now I'm testing a new decklist I will play next week.

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    I ran GW/u Maverick in an MTGO Daily Event, and didn't drop a single game.

Sideboard:
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Mirran Crusader
    2 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Choke
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 Serenity
    If you are running tutor package, adding one Eon hub would be gamebreacking.No need to explain it, i bet, if you know our MTGO current meta=).
    Also im wondering, isnt it more reasonable to play 4xreliquary/2xquasaly.Pride mages are situational+tutorable, while KoTR is your main force+utility card.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Did anyone of you ever tutored for Maze in all those games?

Yes, when I ran it, I usually tutored for it vs Affinity when facing an equiped Etched Champion. Did cut it though.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    Did anyone of you ever tutored for Maze in all those games?
    Never used it in that tournament. Would have been a useful topdeck against Affinity when he had Plating, but most of the time KotR got Wasteland to tempo them out.

EDIT:
    So I took Maze of Ith out, and ran it again in the tournament. Went 4-0 again. ^_^

Maindeck Changes:
    -1 Maze of Ith (now back to 60 cards)

Sideboard Changes:
    -2 Ethersworn Canonist
    -1 Mirran Crusader
    +3 Angel's Grace (to be able to beat Hive Mind.dec)

Round 1 - Zoo (2-1)
    Round 2 - Hive Mind (2-1)
    Round 3 - Deedstill (2-0)
    Round 4 - Rw/u Cat Sligh (2-1) [W for Steppe Lynx, U for Mental Misstep]
    Last edited by Koby; 06-12-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: updates
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Jun 2009
    Germany

I tutored some games for it because if you dont need it for your opponent creatures you still can use it to attack with knight and untap him after combat dmg to use him in your 2nd main phase. Obv this is only possible in a game where you are given time to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    EDIT:
    So I took Maze of Ith out, and ran it again in the tournament. Went 4-0 again. ^_^
    Strange we didnt meet a single time:< played on same daily.
    I eat mavericks alive:>

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Kellyx View Post
    Strange we didnt meet a single time:< played on same daily.
    I eat mavericks alive:>
    I think you underestimate the power of countering your filtering. But I'd be happy to test it out in depth.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Mar 2010
    East L.A.

I played this deck yesterday to a 5-1 record getting 1st, great deck, it's very versatile. The matchups I won against were Merfolk, Aggro Loam, BG Infect, Team America, and Dredge. The one loss was to a close G3 against NO RUG. All the matchups felt good except Dredge, I felt completely hopeless the first few turns unless I have a Tormod's or Wheel in opening hand since getting a Knight and waiting for it to lose summon sickness for Bog can be slow. GSZ for Teeg helps, but we got a amazing new GY hate:

Scavenging Ooze 1G
    Creature - Ooze r
    (G): Exile target card from a graveyard. If it was a creature card, put a +1/+1 counter on Scavenging Ooze and you gain 1 life.

2/2
    Good casting cost, fetchable creature for GSZ, and reusable, I'm going to take the Tormod's out for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingitouchdies
    We dont let drug laden fiends and swine come marching in and take our shit. We send them home with the memory of the monsters and vigilantes that curb stomped their dreams and threatened to animate their dead grandmother for a black and a colorless. No fucking around in LA.

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Quote Originally Posted by PanderAlexander View Post
    I played this deck yesterday to a 5-1 record getting 1st, great deck, it's very versatile. The matchups I won against were Merfolk, Aggro Loam, BG Infect, Team America, and Dredge. The one loss was to a close G3 against NO RUG. All the matchups felt good except Dredge, I felt completely hopeless the first few turns unless I have a Tormod's or Wheel in opening hand since getting a Knight and waiting for it to lose summon sickness for Bog can be slow. GSZ for Teeg helps, but we got a amazing new GY hate:

Good casting cost, fetchable creature for GSZ, and reusable, I'm going to take the Tormod's out for it.
    Where did you play this? I didn't know there was a Legacy tournament going on here in LA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Mar 2010
    East L.A.

Quote Originally Posted by lorddotm View Post
    Where did you play this? I didn't know there was a Legacy tournament going on here in LA.
    You were there for the first one, Charles' grand opening for his MTGDeals shop has free entrance for the Legacy tournaments this whole first month I believe, at least it was free entrance last week and this week. Last week was for the sweet Mox Tony won, this week was only for two duals and fetches but for free entrance I'm happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingitouchdies
    We dont let drug laden fiends and swine come marching in and take our shit. We send them home with the memory of the monsters and vigilantes that curb stomped their dreams and threatened to animate their dead grandmother for a black and a colorless. No fucking around in LA.

Thread Information