Page 8 of 428 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by PanderAlexander View Post
    You were there for the first one, Charles' grand opening for his MTGDeals shop has free entrance for the Legacy tournaments this whole first month I believe, at least it was free entrance last week and this week. Last week was for the sweet Mox Tony won, this week was only for two duals and fetches but for free entrance I'm happy.
    I didn't know he was doing more than 1 tournament.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by PanderAlexander View Post
    I played this deck yesterday to a 5-1 record getting 1st, great deck, it's very versatile. The matchups I won against were Merfolk, Aggro Loam, BG Infect, Team America, and Dredge. The one loss was to a close G3 against NO RUG. All the matchups felt good except Dredge, I felt completely hopeless the first few turns unless I have a Tormod's or Wheel in opening hand since getting a Knight and waiting for it to lose summon sickness for Bog can be slow. GSZ for Teeg helps, but we got a amazing new GY hate:

Scavenging Ooze 1G
    Creature - Ooze r
    (G): Exile target card from a graveyard. If it was a creature card, put a +1/+1 counter on Scavenging Ooze and you gain 1 life.

2/2

Good casting cost, fetchable creature for GSZ, and reusable, I'm going to take the Tormod's out for it.

That seems extremely powerful. A clear maindeck card. At least one for GSZ.

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    Never used it in that tournament. Would have been a useful topdeck against Affinity when he had Plating, but most of the time KotR got Wasteland to tempo them out.

EDIT:
    So I took Maze of Ith out, and ran it again in the tournament. Went 4-0 again. ^_^

Maindeck Changes:
    -1 Maze of Ith (now back to 60 cards)

Sideboard Changes:
    -2 Ethersworn Canonist
    -1 Mirran Crusader
    +3 Angel's Grace (to be able to beat Hive Mind.dec)

Round 1 - Zoo (2-1)
    Round 2 - Hive Mind (2-1)
    Round 3 - Deedstill (2-0)
    Round 4 - Rw/u Cat Sligh (2-1) [W for Steppe Lynx, U for Mental Misstep]
    I also had Mirran Crusader in main first. Then side. Now he's out. In the matchups where he is good, like zoo, he's still vulnerable to both red burn and white exile spells.

What do people think of Beast Within to kill Jace the Mind Sculptor? I know we have Scryb Ranger, but i feel it's not enough to kill Jace, especially as he can +2 while you deal 1 dmg, and in the meantime it's almost guaranteed Pernicious Deed has appeared in the meantime.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

I would say pay 1 more and you get a Thrun and/or a Vengevine. Both are pretty good vs. UGB Deedstill.

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    I would say pay 1 more and you get a Thrun and/or a Vengevine. Both are pretty good vs. UGB Deedstill.
    The problem is just, none of those guarantee a dead Jace if they resolve. And as it destroys a permanent, it very seldomly a dead card. You could even use it on your own permanent at opponents turn and have a surprise attacker/blocker.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I would agree with both Vengevine and Thrun. The one maindeck has been MVP against both W/x and U/x attrition decks. He is able to solely worry about being in combat without worrying about spot removal, bounce, or anything.

Mirran Crusader was in the SB to answer BUG list due to their removal; Pithing Needle has been very good against these lists too, since once you name Pernicious Deed, they lose all removal for it. The Angel's Grace is strictly for the online MTGO metagame in order to trump Hive Mind. I don't anticipate this deck being played more than 5% at any tournament in paper, so this use of a sideboard slot is better utilized by improving other matchups. I would still continue to play Ethersworn Canonist as there is a far greater chance of facing Ad Nauseum Storm than there is Hive Mind in a given tournament.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Thrun has most def been good. I have not tried Vengevine though, and I have a hard time imagining it being as good, as the recursion can be hard late game.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I am an evil, evil man.

Another 4-0 in the Daily Events with this "fair" pile. LOL

Round 1 - Hive Mind (2-1)
    Game 1 - Lose, as expected.
    Game 2 - Opp punts by SnT Hive Mind (I drop Hierarch), then casts Summoner's Pact with my 4 mana on board.
    Game 3 - Angel's Grace, what?

Round 2 - Bant (2-0)
    Game 1 - Batterskull > Sword of Body and Mind
    Game 2 - Lock him down to basics with Wastes, then Qasali Pridemage takes out any chance for him to equips.

Round 3 - Elves! (2-0)
    Game 1 - Jitte.
    Game 2 - Ethersworn Canonist, then Jitte.

Round 4 - Elves! (2-1)
    Game 1 - Can't beat his 3 GSZ and heavy mana engine.
    Game 2 - He semi-combos with GSZ, but has to pass after I play Mirran Crusader with Jitte in hand. I equip attack, and not seeing KGrip, shred his board clean. He plays Viridian Shaman to take Jitte out, but I have Elspeth to ninja for 10 with the Crusader. (Woot! Crusader is nice in this matchup!)
    Game 3 - I develop my mana to enable 4 mana for my opening hand Jitte. Counter Wirewood Symbiote with MM along the way, and cast Ethersworn Canonist as a diversionary tactic. He takes the bait and GSZ for Viridian Shaman, and I untap and shred his board.

Jitte. <3

Maindeck - -1 Elspeth +1 Gaddock Teeg
    Sideboard - +3 Ethersworn Canonist (slightly helps against Hive Mind) -1 Bojuka Bog -2 Gaddock Teeg

12-0 in MTGO sanctioned events. *gleeeee*
    Last edited by Koby; 06-14-2011 at 01:21 AM. Reason: typo
    West side
    My Legacy stream

I was a little confused about HM playing summoning traps:S so watched replay.
    It was summoner's pact^^

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Kellyx View Post
    I was a little confused about HM playing summoning traps:S so watched replay.
    It was summoner's pact^^
    Yes it is. My lysdexia tirkes again.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Is there another way to fight Hive Mind with this, other than Angel's Grace (gw zenith version)?
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post
    Is there another way to fight Hive Mind with this, other than Angel's Grace (gw zenith version)?
    I was thinking about that when I changed the sideboard yesterday. Playing Ethersworn Canonist would prevent their deck from chaining Pacts right after they put Hive Mind into play. This would give us the opportunity on our turn to destroy Hive Mine by many various means. Angel's Grace is just the most elegant in that it can't be countered however. Hive Mind plays at least 8 hard counters, so having a way to make sure they are forced to play fair with their own Pacts seems like a fine way to defeat this very obscure win-con.

That said, I don't anticipate this deck to be very popular overall; it's only on MTGO that this deck has seen many players picking it up. Likely because it's a combo deck that doesn't require Lion's Eye Diamond (100tix) to be played, and you get to use countermagic.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

May 2006
    Philippines

Hello
    Just wondering what game plan or sb do you guys do against mirror WGx Maverick. And would you consider allotting SB slots against mirror maverick decks ?

It just hit me as a fellow WGx Maverick user

Thanks

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

There are a lot of ways to fight Hive Mind other than Angel's Grace, but all of them are minor nuisances and not actual shutdowns. Angel's Grace is the coup de itself against Hive Mind combo. It's the single best card in the format to shut it down, and probably the funniest thing imaginable that doesn't involve Patron Wizard.

Gaddock Teeg, obviously, shuts down the hardcasting of Hive Mind. It doesn't stop Show and Tell from getting Hive Mind into play, however.

Knight of the Reliquary stops Show and Tell dropping Emrakul, The Aeons Torn. As does having the Karakas in your hand. As does Oblivion Ring. So you have outs here.

Ethersworn Canonist is actually a really strong bet here, as it takes away Hive Mind's main punch - being able to cast a Pact without you getting priority first. Once Canonist hits, it's pretty easy to Oblivion Ring, Krosan Grip, or Qasali Pridemage the thing off the board. (Interesting but irrelevant note - If you Krosan Grip their Hive Mind and it's the only thing in play, it'll actually be their Krosan Grip copy that kills it.)

And if all else fails, splash a little bit of red for access to lots of red blasts in the sideboard.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

The best Anti-Combo choice imo is clearly Thorn of Amthyst.

It slows Hive Mind down a lot because they have to pay twice for their kill. The SnT/Hive Mind Plan costs 5 instead of 3 and the Hive Mind hardcast plan is at 7 and quite unrealistic because of out Wastelands. It also makes their counters and filtering much worse. And unlike Angel's Grace it is awesome against every other Combo deck too. Multiples increase their value exponentially.
    You can also side it in against BUG Jacestill on the play and decks with many Brainstorm effects and Tops.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Best way to deal with Hive Mind:

Ethersworn Canonist + enchantment kill, also ramping and Birds of Paradise - just pay for the pact, under Ethersworn he can't Cast more than one :].

Vs S&T Emrakul - KotR -> Karakas.

Jun 2011
    Dortmund/Germany

Hey folks!

I've been pretty succesfull recently with 1 Tropical Island maindeck and 3 Spell Pierce in the board combined with 2 Ethersworn Canonist. Most people don't expect it.

As of now, i am playing the NO Prog variant with a single Terastodon or Novablast Wurm in the board and as well, instead of Choke i use 3 Summoning Traps, which work insanely good since the printing of Mental Misstep.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Canonist + active Pridemage is too hard to establish fast enough so it is not the best way. Hoping to outrace a Combo deck by finding, playing and resolving your 2-card-combo before they have theirs is unrealistic. It is of course good to know about this as a backup plan.
    Angel's Grace is good, but has almost no use outside of the Hive Mind matchup. It is bad vs. Tendrils decks because they Chant/Duress you before you Combo and almost dead vs. High Tide. It also doesn't kill Hive Mind so if they have a second pact you just die in your next upkeep.

I am convinced that Thorn of Amethyst is currently the best Anti Combo choice. Against Hive Mind it slows down not only their kill but also their counters and their search. Tendrils decks as well as High Tide decks will usually not be able to go off under a Thorn and it slows down their search for answers. It is synergetic with the deck because it multiplies the effect of Wastelands.

Im new to this archetype. I was considering building Junk, but I am on a budget and think that this deck will be cheaper, but do just as well, if not better. I havent played much aggro in legacy (I usually play storm combo or some sort of control deck.), but I think I can pilot this very well. My list was made with budget partially in mind. Unlimited budget would be -1 Maze, +1 Cradle. This is what Im going to try to build:

Creatures
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Aven Mindcensor
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Mirran Crusader
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Tarmogoyf

Artifacts
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Spells
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares

Lands
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Horizon Canopy
    3 Savannah
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wasteland
    2 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Plains

Sideboard
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Path to Exile
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Serenity
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon

I think that this list is good and I hope to build it shortly. My only question is whether or not I can play this deck with Temple Garden instead of Savannah for a bit? Also, any random tips for playing this deck, like the KotR + Maze untap trick?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by videogamer99 View Post
    My only question is whether or not I can play this deck with Temple Garden instead of Savannah for a bit? Also, any random tips for playing this deck, like the KotR + Maze untap trick?
    List looks good, but I have two suggestions. First, is consider running Terravore. With equipment, it makes this guy absolutely sure to connect and trigger Sword and Jitte. He's also one of the few trumps against mid-range mirrors. Replacing the 4th KotR is probably the best swap for him.

Secondly, consider running a -fetchland in place of the 3rd Verdant Catacombs. This will give you a better mix of fetching when getting the basic Plains would be important. It still allows you to find Savannah just the same.

As for your question - Temple Garden has nearly no effect on the build, and this deck can very frequently win at very low life totals due to hard-hitting beaters and the life gain from the equipment. I'm an advocate for more basics rather than more duals, but I have a healthy paranoia of Wastelands.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Thread Information