Page 9 of 428 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

I can cut a Verdant for a Marsh. Thats fine. What do I cut for Terravore? Could I cut 3x Mindcensor for 1x Thrun, 1x E Wit, and 1x Terravore? If not, what would do well?

Sep 2010
    Monterey Park, CA

I think Eternal Witness is not really needed in the deck. With the help of GSZ, SfM, KotR, we can pull answers out of our library instead of the GY.
    Looking for Chinese cards to complete my legacy decks....hit me up!!!

Check out what I have for trades

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Eternal Witness doesn't pull answers. Eternal Witness generates card advantage and helps you fight through counters. It fills a completely different role than Green Sun's Zenith.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Hi there,
    here my actual list, with wich i won last week the Legacy in Nuremberg (44players) and made 6. place this week:

"For the Shire"

//lands (22)
    4x windswept heath
    2x verdant catacombs
    4x savannah
    3x horizon canopy
    2x forest
    1x plains
    3x wasteland
    1x karakas
    1x maze of ith
    1x dryad arbor

//creatures (25)
    4x noble hierarch
    4x knight of the reliquary
    3x stoneforge mystic
    3x aven mindcensor
    2x qasali pride-mage
    1x quirion ranger
    1x scryb ranger
    1x gaddock teeg
    4x mother of runes
    1x eternal witness
    1x thrun the last troll

//other spells (13)
    4x green sun's zenith
    4x swords to plowshares
    2x sylvan library
    1x umezawa's jitte
    1x sword of feast and famine
    1x batterskull

//sideboard
    2x aethersworn canonist
    1x thrun the last troll
    1x loaming shaman
    3x choke
    2x path to exile
    2x krosan grip
    1x bojuka bog
    1x sword of light and shadow
    2x tormod's crypt

Thoughts: First of all i think, GW hast no need for Goyf anymore - any other creature does more. Second i have to say that sylvan library is rly great (better than Elspeth or crusaders - it's tested).
    Third: I think, scavenging ooze will become a great card for the deck. I still don't know, wether i want to play it MD in the witness-slot or in the board in the shaman-slot...
    For any questions about my build - PM or post in the threat :-)

PS: Hive mind isnt a factor in our metagame - if it is, i consider angel's grace the best way to beat it, since it does not only stop his combo but also kills him in his next turn.

Greetz,
    Marius Hausmann

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

Very good list, it could be the direction to take.

I can sustain your points against Goyf and for Sylvan Library and Scavenging Ooze.

I still don’t like Teeg main. I think the metchups where it’s useful are not frequent enough to risk to draw a bear shutting down your GSZs. Better keep it the board.

Some questions:

- Why did you opt for Sword of Feast and Famine main?

- Why did you include Quirion Ranger? Is it worth?

- How’s your control metchup without Elspeth?

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Your build is probably dependent on your local meta I found this tournament:
    http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/deck.php?id=6309

Looks Maverick infected :)

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    Your build is probably dependent on your local meta I found this tournament:
    http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/deck.php?id=6309

Looks Maverick infected :)
    So that's why Maverick showed up in DTB forums XD

Congrats! (anyone have time to parse the 6 Maverick lists there for trending?)

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like most of the lists are identical to the on posted a few posts up. What's the rational for Quirion Ranger?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

@ Wasteland

I sat up for hours last night making a GW Maverick build, and I brainstormed a list only a few cards different from yours. Interesting...

-Matt

Jun 2011
    Den Bosch, NL

Last Monday i made top 4 of a 35 player legacy tourney. Hadn't really played Legacy tournaments in while so on Sunday i just threw a list together and off i went.

I went 5-0-1 in the swiss beating Combo Elves, Doomsday Tendrils, NO Bant, BUGstill, Dark Tempo Thresh and IDing against another Dark Thresh deck. Then i beat the same BUGstill player again in the quarterfinals and lost to Merfolk in the semis. A bit disappointed about losing to the fish though.

Maindeck
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Savannah
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    2 Horizon Canopy
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Dryad Arbor

3 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Noble Hierarch
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Mental Misstep

1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire/Ice

2 Elspeth

Sideboard:
    2 Mirran Crusader
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Krosan Grip
    1 Bojuka Bog

After playing with the list i probably would cut down on the Savannah's too. The maximum number isn't really needed and the extra basics can be useful in some situations. All though getting G+W is so important for this deck and cutting myself of white once in a while protecting against Wasteland was a bit of a problem. Against Merfolk i kept Heath, Wasteland, Hierarch, Zenith and some other creatures. Then fetching a forest and getting the Hierarch misstepped was pretty rough. Though getting Savannah instead and getting that wasted is even worse.

Maze of Ith was pretty bad all day and side-boarded it out quite a bit too. The only game i actually fetched it was against NO Bant. Elspeth wasn't that great either for me just used it once all day when Mirran Crusader came crashing in for 12. Also she got shut out by Teeg a couple of times where i felt he was more important. Really want to try Sylvan Library in her spot now.

Loved the Mental Missteps in this deck. The versatility really helps. I guess that's just more personal preference then actually a necessity for this archetype.

Thrun was really really good for me too. He singlehandedly won me multiple games against BUGstill as they just have a few outs and some can be covered even. Pretty good against DTT too as just goyfs can stop him there. Mirran Crusader is sweet against them as well, but his slot is more a meta-game call then really something you always want i think.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by maza View Post
    Last Monday i made top 4 of a 35 player legacy tourney. Hadn't really played Legacy tournaments in while so on Sunday i just threw a list together and off i went.
    Congrats on the nice finish! It's a shame that Merfolk dispatched you in the end, but still a good performance! I'm glad that I'm not the only one experiencing some of the idiosyncrazies that this deck dishes out (mana issues, Elspeth, Sylvans, etc).

I'm thinking that Goyf is on the chopping block soon, it's not very useful 90% of time, but it's still a very large 2-drop that's often needed to bridge the go to KotR.

How did your sideboarding go during the tournament? Did you find any cards that seemed like a good inclusion, but played out poorly?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Dec 2010
    SO Cal

I have the same feeling about goyf too I go for Scryb Ranger more than him nowadays when Izenith for 2

Dec 2010
    SO Cal

Maverick is really popular in EU even before it was a DTB in the US. I think it started picking up when green and taxes was played by lewis laskin in the earlier SCG tourney of the year.

Jun 2011
    Den Bosch, NL

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    Congrats on the nice finish! It's a shame that Merfolk dispatched you in the end, but still a good performance! I'm glad that I'm not the only one experiencing some of the idiosyncrazies that this deck dishes out (mana issues, Elspeth, Sylvans, etc).

I'm thinking that Goyf is on the chopping block soon, it's not very useful 90% of time, but it's still a very large 2-drop that's often needed to bridge the go to KotR.

How did your sideboarding go during the tournament? Did you find any cards that seemed like a good inclusion, but played out poorly?
    Thanks. Sideboarding was fine. But wasn't that impressed with it to be honest.

Engineered Explosives seems really narrow. It saved me one time against the Elfs as he had 4 one drops and destroyed his whole board with it. And didn't really see anyone with Empty the Warrens.

Don't know about the graveyard hate either. Two slots don't seem enough against Dredge and against other KotR decks i don't feel like bringing in Crypt. Maybe just Bog is fine then.

The Metamorph can probably go too. I added him because a friend was playing NO Bant. When i played him Teeg and Wasteland did enough to stop Natural Order. Plus that i don't like bringing in the Tutors for 1 card.

Pithing Needle and Krosan Grip are just so versatile. Although i feel Needle is much stronger then Grip in this deck as you got Pridemages. In just a very few cases it's actually better. Not sure about Path either don't think i ever brought it in. Must have been a mistake in the DTT match.

Thrun and the Crusaders were really good and so was the Canonist both against Elves and DD. I would add more Canonist probably, because against the decks you need it you want it as fast as possible anyway. Choke seems very good too, but i don't have any of them so that's why i didn't play them.

Apr 2010
    Ansbach, Germany

The people here in Nuremberg started probably with my list from Bazaar of Moxen 5. Here is the list I played for reference:

– 10th place -
    Zenith GW, by Niklas Kronberger (schniggaz)
    Business (38)
    1 Tarmogoyf
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Mother of Runes
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Quirion Ranger
    1 Scryb Ranger
    3 Aven Mindcensor
    1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Green Sun’s Zenith
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 Batterskull
    4 Swords to Plowshares

Lands (22)
    2 Forest
    2 Horizon Canopy
    1 Gaea’s Cradle
    1 Karakas
    3 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Temple Garden
    4 Savannah
    1 Plains

Sideboard (15)
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Tormod’s Crypt
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Krosan Grip
    1 Serenity
    2 Path to Exile
    1 Bojuka Bog

The list was amazing. Didn't lose a match during swiss (7-0-2) and in my Top 16 match against a friend of mine (he won the tournament with BUGStill) we had to start the game 3 with "first blood". Really strange.

After the tournament Wasteland (Marius H) was really excited about the deck and started to pick it up. I was really glad he made a few good suggestions. (e.g. cutting the Goyf)
    Cutting the Tarmogoyf was one of the best thing that happened to the deck. I never tutored it. In the early game I always tutor for some acceleration or utility (Ranger,Teeg,Qasali) with my GSZ. And if the game goes on I wanted to have something that wins the game like Thrun or Knight. Tarmogoyf was never impressive.

Right now we are discussing whether Sylvan Library or Elspeth is better in this deck. Both cards shine against control decks, but Library isn't that great against deed.dec. Therefore Elspeth is just insane. In my opinion it's a meta choice. If you expect a lot of BUG list, then play Elspeth, otherwise go with the Library.

I was wondering why most of you do not play Aven Mindcensor. He is broken :D
    He is amazing in all the match-ups that aren't good for us and is nearly never a dead draw. Natural Order and Infernal Tutor decks can be really hard. Sometimes it's able to race an Progenitus but most of the time you are going to lose once Natural Order resolves. Furthermore the Mindcensor answers opposing Fetchlands, Knight of the Reliquarys, GSZ, Intuition, Doomsday, Goblin Matrone ...and so on...
    As you can see, in most of the match-ups he is great. He's also flying and likes to carry an equipment.

A few words about the second Ranger, Quirion Ranger!
    The deck is all about crazy tricks. Most of the creatures have activated abilities that make this deck so exciting. So one Ranger was most of the time not enough. It was killed way to often. If you play a GSZ for X=1 it almost never gets countered. Once you have your Quirion Ranger on the table and there is one Knight or Mother of Runes on the table too, you are in a good position to win the game.
    The next good thing about the Quirion Ranger is that he helps you to stabilize your mana base. Imagine a hand like this (Land,Noble, GSZ, Stoneforge, ...) ;only one land. With the opportunity to search for an Quirion it's possible to win the game with only one land in your whole game. I highly recommend to play a second Ranger.
    (Qurion Ranger also blocks Goblin Lackey on the draw ;-))

Maze of Ith: I think that we are the aggro deck and do not have to fear other aggro decks, at least with Batterskull in our deck). In my opinion Maze of Ith isn't necessary any more.

SoFaF: Most of you agree that pro Green is one the important things. Now you add pro Black (pro: removal), a great ability against control (discard) and a way to play way more threats each turn (untap all your lands) and you have the perfect equipment for the deck.
    Compared to SoBaM: SoBaM has pro Merfolk, but once the people realized that GW Maverick is the best deck in the format, there will not be any Merfolk decks any more :D The 2/2 bear is not necessary, our deck only plays creatures. So there is always a creature to equip. And is milling your opponent good in legacy? Son't think so.
    Compared to SoFaI: It was one of my favorite swords before the printing of Batterskull. In the matchups where you tutored for the SoFaI you can go now for Batterskull or Jitte. Both are most of the time better then SoFaI.

So here is the list I am playing right now:

Business (38)
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Mother of Runes
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Quirion Ranger
    1 Scryb Ranger
    3 Aven Mindcensor
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Terravore
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Green Sun’s Zenith
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 Batterskull
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Elspeth Knight-Errant

Lands (22)
    2 Forest
    2 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    3 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Temple Garden
    4 Savannah
    1 Plains

Sideboard (15)
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Path to Exile
    3 Mirran Crusader
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Choke
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Ravenous Trap

Right now I have a few questions too:

1. Why is nobody at Starcitygames succesful with the deck?
    2. Library or Elspeth? What do you think?
    3. Does anyone know where I can get three Foil Japanese Windswept Heath? I really want to finish my deck.

Hopefully my english isn't too bad.

Have you ever considered replacing the 2 chokes in your SB with 2 more Thruns? I currently run 0 Thrun in my 75 and 3 choke SB and might try 3 Thruns instead (or maybe a 1/2 config.)

Btw, went 3-1 yesterday again, winning against Belcher (wanted to vomit when I saw what I was up against, but it was a bad player with a bad list, so GSZ -> Pridemage/Teeg and Batterskull > ETW got the job done), dredge and UW Visions control, losing against Gerry T. Landstill (preboard still sucks immensly, postboard had to break 3 standstills and swallowed all 4 swords and 2 paths, never saw a choke/elspeth the whole game :( ).

Also, please post your pimp Maverick :)

May 2011
    NRW, Germany

@schniggaz

My list looks pretty much the same, i recently added 3 Mindscensors and they miracle with equips. It is also nice that you can have a solid MD answer to NO and flashing it in t2 in resp to a fetchie trigger when your on the play can be gamebreaking.
    I'm curious about your Temple Garden as a 5th Savannah. Imo a 3rd Canopy serves the job better, as you mostly don't use it too often until you cycle it, so there isn't much lifeloss, plus it feeds the Knights and the singleton Terravore. Can you explain on that please.

@Tarmogoyf

I went down from 3 to 1 and now to zero copies and totally agree with schniggaz in that case.
    Still, when you play Mental Misstep, 1-3 copies are valid, as he can grow big more frequently.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Ok time for some answers:

First of all I wouldn't Cut all Goyfs out, actually meta is full of Red splash goyfs is your cheapest wall for 2, also its best answer for 2 for opposite Goyf - I lost all match against TA because i didn't have 2 mana answer vs its Goyf. So best way - one Goyf stay under zenith - unless we get green creature for 2 with protection from burn/goyf.

Sylvan Library Shine in every control MU but it isn't great vs Tempo/Aggro when actually board position and life matters. So if your meta have a lot of tempo/aggro better choose Elspeth its nuts flying over dudes.

Maze of Ith is a next meta slot, mostly useful as defending, sometimes offensive - vs random meta I would never cut it - it make a job against so many random things like Dark Depths dude, Champion from Affinity or just fog vs terravore/kotr so its useful a lot. Can be side out for bojuka for example if your MU is full of KotRs / Dredge.

Aven Mindcensor looks really good in actually meta i have to test it (after i find a place for them).

Choke helps also vs Merfolks MU so I would put Thrun in more than 1-2 it's isn't so impressive because its so much mana expensive.

About equips SoFF is very good could be on side/MD.

Also post your pimped Maverick (actually I'm having about 70% of deck in foil but still missing the stamples :/ )

Apr 2010
    Ansbach, Germany

@Bzka:
    With 2 Rangers and 4 Knights you always want to have some Forests. Here in Nuremberg we have to play the Mirror every week. It's always a really long game, stalled by Mother of Runes and the Rangers. After you resolve a Knight you are going to pump it every turn. Sometimes you definetely need more Forest to be able to use your Knight again and still be able to do some Ranger tricks. If you only draw Hierarchs, Canopy, Plains, Karakas and Wastelands as mana sources, your Rangers aren't good anymore xP So I decided to play more Savannahs.

@Philipp2293:

I definetely want both threats against blue control decks. I want Thrun and Chokes. Because Thrun doesn't win against cards like Perish and Wrath of God. Choke does (sometimes).

@Fatal:

In our meta there aren't many red splashes --> no Goyf is needed. But I can understand if you want to play the best green creature :D

I do not want to post my Deck until it is finished. Perhaps I have to realize that it is not possible to get the Fetchies in the near future. So who knows. Perhaps next week ;-)

Missing:
    3 Foil Japanese Windswept Heah
    1 Foil Japanese Noble Hierarch
    1 Foil Japanese Dryad Arbor (already scouted on ebay :P)

IMHO sylvan >> elspeth. You can play it earlier and it is usually game against control.
    It is also good against tempo, and isnt needed WW to play it.

I have never played maze of ith in WG, and never sicken for it.

I prefer play choke on sb rather than thrun. if you resolves a thurn, landstill player can do his game: crucible or loam to block with mishra until he resolves a wrath of god or perish. In the other way, choke prevents your opponet doing his game, and if he is full-taped can be game (just need to punch fast)

How is this deck better than zoo and how would you convince a BUG control player to play something non-blue?

Thread Information