Page 91 of 428 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101141191 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

Deed seems like a really powerful tool right now for hosing all the decks running equipment and a lot of cheap dudes.

On that note...
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

I would love to play against maverick and have them deeds their whole board away.

devastates the mirror
    I find this really interesting and my first thought was really dude? Seriously

I think a black splash for Confidant is alright. Deed seems a bit counterproductive. Vindicate is far better in its slot.

There's a section about the black splash in the primer.

deck with Deed != mirror match.
    That deck looks to me like a very bad junk deck. How do u play Deed in a deck with noble hierarchs, moms, and confidant? I think you're trying to mix 2 different decks by taking the best spells of each of those, but there's a reason why noone has done that before...

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

On a positive note, I want to say how awesome this deck is regardless of the different variations we're playing.

I took a break from it this week for our weekly tournament and definitely regretted it!

A Slime draws near! Command?
    May 2011
    Baltimore, MD

Quote Originally Posted by arcannys View Post
    deck with Deed != mirror match.
    That deck looks to me like a very bad junk deck. How do u play Deed in a deck with noble hierarchs, moms, and confidant? I think you're trying to mix 2 different decks by taking the best spells of each of those, but there's a reason why noone has done that before...
    That's the type of response I was expecting, and you know as well as I do that boardstates in the mirror can get wildly out of hand extremely fast. When I say mirror I mean just Maverick in general, I should have been more specific. The mirror comes down, usually, to whoever drops the first Mom (or two) and after playing Junk for so long, I'm used to losing a couple Mox Diamonds or something along the way if it means I can save myself from a game that would have otherwise gotten out of hand.

I agree it seems counterproductive, but if I can follow up a Deed board wipe with almost anything, especially a Confidant, stock Maverick decks just can't ever seem to get back into the game. I'm just looking for something to break the mirror and trying different shit. Is NO/Prog really the best we can do? Now that everyone will see that coming, should I just play stock GW and assume I'm better with the deck than my opponent? This deck is really popular around here.

check my list from couple posts ago, it has an edge in the mirror.
    loosing a couple moxes when you already have 4+lands in play isn's as big of a deal as loosing your own noble hierarchs, your confidants etc...
    Plus any sane player will never overextend to a Deed deck, so it's no that devastating as you think. If you check my list you'll see i have 2 planes walkers in my board against deed and perish/virtue's ruin decks.

Hi, I played today in a local tournament first time with my GWr Maverick. I ended up first with 5-0 result.

GWr Maverick:

1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Mother of Runes
    3 Noble Hierarch
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Gaddock Teeg

3 Punishing Fire
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Sylvan Library

1 Forest
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Plateau
    4 Savannah
    2 Taiga
    3 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Wooded Foothills
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Karakas

SB:
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    2 Choke
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Batterskull
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Stony Silence

I played against
    R1: Reanimator (2-0): g1: I don't know what my opp is playing and I have opening hand Noble, Ranger, GSZ and 4 Lands (one of them is Karakas). I decide to keep and my opp flips when I play second turn Karakas. Lucky me :) g2: Opp has Blazing Archon and I have Mom and Ranger. It takes long but finally I lock the game and draw StoP to Archon.
    R2: Dragon Stompy (2-1): g1: I know I'm playing against Dragon Stompy so I just fetch basic forest and just race with Noble and Jitte g2: I mull to 4 and opp plays t1 chalice@1 g3: I start hand with 3 GSZ, KotR, 1??, 2 Lands. Fetch basic forest and just win the game with two KotR and Garruk.
    R3: UB Aggro (2-1)
    R4: Affinity (2-0): g1: I stabilize with Ranger and Jitte g2: ETutor to Stony Silence -> opp skuups :)
    R5: The Gate (2-0): g1: I just race my opp because he doesn't get third land g2: I stabilize at 3 life. My opp has Bitterblossom (4 fearies), powder keg and I have Mystic, Batterskull and Library.

I did use my whole sideboard except Canonist.

+ Sylvan Library, Great!!!
    + Scryb Ranger (Maybe add second)
    + Garruk Relentless
    + Batterskull
    + Thrun, the Last Troll

I Think there is no negative to say about this list. I love it.

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by angel882 View Post
    Hi, I played today in a local tournament first time with my GWr Maverick. I ended up first with 5-0 result.

GWr Maverick:

1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Mother of Runes
    3 Noble Hierarch
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Gaddock Teeg

3 Punishing Fire
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Sylvan Library

1 Forest
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Plateau
    4 Savannah
    2 Taiga
    3 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Wooded Foothills
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Karakas

SB:
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    2 Choke
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Batterskull
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Stony Silence

I played against
    R1: Reanimator (2-0): g1: I don't know what my opp is playing and I have opening hand Noble, Ranger, GSZ and 4 Lands (one of them is Karakas). I decide to keep and my opp flips when I play second turn Karakas. Lucky me :) g2: Opp has Blazing Archon and I have Mom and Ranger. It takes long but finally I lock the game and draw StoP to Archon.
    R2: Dragon Stompy (2-1): g1: I know I'm playing against Dragon Stompy so I just fetch basic forest and just race with Noble and Jitte g2: I mull to 4 and opp plays t1 chalice@1 g3: I start hand with 3 GSZ, KotR, 1??, 2 Lands. Fetch basic forest and just win the game with two KotR and Garruk.
    R3: UB Aggro (2-1)
    R4: Affinity (2-0): g1: I stabilize with Ranger and Jitte g2: ETutor to Stony Silence -> opp skuups :)
    R5: The Gate (2-0): g1: I just race my opp because he doesn't get third land g2: I stabilize at 3 life. My opp has Bitterblossom (4 fearies), powder keg and I have Mystic, Batterskull and Library.

I did use my whole sideboard except Canonist.

+ Sylvan Library, Great!!!
    + Scryb Ranger (Maybe add second)
    + Garruk Relentless
    + Batterskull
    + Thrun, the Last Troll

I Think there is no negative to say about this list. I love it.
    How do you feel about the cage in your board? Do you find it to be a hinderance with your GSZ?

A Slime draws near! Command?
    May 2011
    Baltimore, MD

check my list from couple posts ago, it has an edge in the mirror.
    loosing a couple moxes when you already have 4+lands in play isn's as big of a deal as loosing your own noble hierarchs, your confidants etc...
    Plus any sane player will never overextend to a Deed deck, so it's no that devastating as you think. If you check my list you'll see i have 2 planes walkers in my board against deed and perish/virtue's ruin decks.
    If I have Hierarchs, Confidants, Moms, etc. then I'm probably ahead due to Confidant. But you're probably right, most of the time I completely caught my opponents off guard because they weren't expecting the Deed, and while it was a competent player was still new to the deck. I guess the most I could hope for would be to steal a few game 1's or something with it. I may give your list a try, it looks pretty interesting. Love the Ledgewalker. Now to try to find my foil....

:/ ledgewalker is awful you didnt read my post :(
    Well i only played it on that tornament and it didn't impress me, i might give it another try... but my first impression was that it's not very good in a metagame full of mirror matches... Never played against caw blade and it destroyed Zoo tho... Apart from that it was either outclassed or too slow. I had a game were i had turn 2 zenith for silhana, turn 3 SFM for jitter, turn 4 jitte equip and he grudged my jitte, so the only think i did until turn 4 was to play 2 1/1's...And he even had the grudge flashback if i drew another equipment..

:/ ledgewalker is awful you didnt read my post :(
    Well i only played it on that tornament and it didn't impress me, i might give it another try... but my first impression was that it's not very good in a metagame full of mirror matches... Never played against caw blade and it destroyed Zoo tho... Apart from that it was either outclassed or too slow. I had a game were i had turn 2 zenith for silhana, turn 3 SFM for jitter, turn 4 jitte equip and he grudged my jitte, so the only think i did until turn 4 was to play 2 1/1's...And he even had the grudge flashback if i drew another equipment..
    PD: sry for double post, my internet freezed for a sec..

Quote Originally Posted by Fade View Post
    How do you feel about the cage in your board? Do you find it to be a hinderance with your GSZ?
    Today it wasn't relevant but I haven't tested it so much. This was the first time because I was expecting a lot of Dredge.

cage doesn't beat dredge.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

majikal vs Gearhart in SCG feature match right now.

@majikal:
    What was your reasoning for casting Surgical on Tundra in Game 2?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

cage doesn't beat dredge.
    Cage shuts
    - Narco
    - Ichorid
    - Flashbacks

So almoust evrything. Only way Dredge can survive is to cast artifact removal from hand.

im fully aware of what cage does againt dredge, but they're playin 8 looting effects,cards still go to the graveyad unil they find a way to kill the cage and they just explode on your face.
    I saw a match were 1 player cast 3 cage on turn 1 and 2, his dredge opponent played his 3rd land and cast shattering sptree for 3.

im fully aware of what cage does againt dredge, but they're playin 8 looting effects,cards still go to the graveyad unil they find a way to kill the cage and they just explode on your face.
    I saw a match were 1 player cast 3 cage on turn 1 and 2, his dredge opponent played his 3rd land and cast shattering sptree for 3.
    Ok, I understand. I haven't seen people playing shattering spree in Dredge, in my meta they are usually playing Ancient Grudge so that's why it's harder to get rid of Cage. I know that it won't shut any deck immediately but it will buy us time to find a real answer and win the game :)

they shouldnt be playing that many grudges. I think nature's claims and shattering spree will be the most popular cards in dredge sideboards.

Sep 2007
    MN

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    majikal vs Gearhart in SCG feature match right now.

@majikal:
    What was your reasoning for casting Surgical on Tundra in Game 2?
    I was curious about that also. I had seen Gearharts deck during the previous weeks (or two) coverage which gave me the knowledge to know its clearly wrong.

Also, does Geartharts deck have a thread here at the source? I noticed at least once, maybe twice, he missed out on a card. Specifically, he'd upkeep put ebridge on top of his deck, drew it, then bricked with tezz. As opposed to drawing, put ebridge on top and guarantee a hit.

Thread Information