Page 99 of 428 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109149199 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

I'll agree. Cradle has been nothing short of the tits for me.

Anyone here going to GP Seattle for the side events?

-Matt

Cradle is in no way win more. Its just pure amazement.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

You may even want to get it tattooed on your arm.

-Matt

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I see it as a High Risk/High Reward card - there have definitely been games I lost if it was instead a Fetchland, and others that I had no business winning since I pumped an extra 2-5 mana from it to GSZ/Ooze/Equipment (many of these on camera too).

I am comfortable taking the risk with this card, but I wanted to examine whether everyone else had similar experiences with its variance.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Running one ofs in the hope of randomly drawing into it when it's beneficial and not when it isn't seems like terrible deckbuilding to me, so the question is really how often do you want to use Knight to tutor for it.

If you're running it in a spell slot with 4 equipment that include multiple Swords and even a Batterskull it seems fine, if a little iffy (because you won't usually have the Cradle I don't like Batterskull in this deck, and two singletons that are best together is sketch, even with some tutors.)

I'd like it a lot more with maindeck or sideboard Garruk, Primal Hunter, a card I've been thinking about running in the board of my GW list for the Blade Control matchup and slower attrition matchups generally.

The question is really if you have room in a spell slot and how much mileage you can get out of it that exceeds just attacking with the Knight or grabbing a Wasteland, rather than fetching a Cradle.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

What are you guys thinking about Elspeth right now? I run her as a 2of at my last tournament (70+ players) and I lost my last game to get into top8.
    I didn't enjoy her very much, she was usually a Giant Growth + Updraft or even worse a 1/1 for four mana.
    Also, I'm seeing that most lists that are doing good are not playing any PW, but instead are going back to Sylvan Library, which to me seems a very good way to get back in shape after a mass removal.
    Also, what do the people who tested Thalia think of her? On paper she looks pretty sexy, but I wouldn't play more than the 2, probably in side.
    What do you say?

For me cradle is awesome. there are few situations where it is painful, and I search it time to time, mostly due to equipments, or wanting to speed up with zenith + other things. I wouldn't cut it.

In my meta there is a lot of GW maverick, and some Gwu. What would you run MD or SB for the mirror? I'm thinking in 3rd qsali, 2nd scavenging ooze, or elspeth, which wins many games alone.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
    In my meta there is a lot of GW maverick, and some Gwu. What would you run MD or SB for the mirror? I'm thinking in 3rd qsali, 2nd scavenging ooze, or elspeth, which wins many games alone.
    All three.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Apr 2011
    So Cal

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    I see it as a High Risk/High Reward card - there have definitely been games I lost if it was instead a Fetchland, and others that I had no business winning since I pumped an extra 2-5 mana from it to GSZ/Ooze/Equipment (many of these on camera too).

I am comfortable taking the risk with this card, but I wanted to examine whether everyone else had similar experiences with its variance.
    I'm in the same boat. Occasionally you get a bad draw (cradle, maze, wasteland) and have to mull but that is rare compared to how often it allows you to pull way ahead on board. Even with the cradle I don't feel I an lacking white when I need it.

why is it said that red maverick is weaker in comboMU?

Anyone know where i can watch some replays of people playing UW Maverick?

Jun 2011
    Dortmund/Germany

Quote Originally Posted by rayray View Post
    why is it said that red maverick is weaker in comboMU?
    Because you have at least 4 more cards that do nothing in that particular matchup (e.g. Fire, the occasional Adn to 2 Life doesn't count). Red and GW both have a pretty bad Matchup against fast combo, the blue version is the only one with advantages via Vendilion Clique and SPierce out of the board.

but comparing red and GW, red version has red elemental blast to fight combo decks with blue better.

Jun 2011
    Dortmund/Germany

It's better when you have a hatebear on board with the redblast in hand, anyways, each version of Mav has a pretty horrible Combomatchup ^^

game 1 autolose..

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

This is the list I'm going to be running next week at a local tourney coming up. Unsure of the meta but I expect it to be little combo so I believe Maverick will do me good. I expect a lot of random, Maverick, StoneBlade decks, Zoo, Burn, and probably other cheap decks like Elves. Anyway, the list:

4 Windswept Heath
    2 Misty Rainforest
    4 Savannah
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    4 Wasteland
    2 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Maze of Ith

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Mother of Runes
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Scryb Ranger
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Kitchen Finks
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll

SB
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Krosan Grip
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Worship
    1 Stony Silence
    1 Aura of Silence
    1 Choke
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Bojuka Bog

I like the main deck a lot and have been on the fence between 2 Thalia main or 2 Elspeth. I went with the former to be more aggressive and at least have a shot if I run across any combo. I am most concerned with the SB. I basically filled it to answer a broad number of things. I opted for Worship over COP:Red, but I think either could work. Anyone have any thoughts on the two?

So how does it look for my suspected meta? Any thoughts or concerns?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

RE: Rhox War Monk vs Kitchen Finks

Which one has led to more wins in SB games versus UR Delver and Burn?
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    RE: Rhox War Monk vs Kitchen Finks

Which one has led to more wins in SB games versus UR Delver and Burn?
    I run 2 finks, 1 rhox.
    Rhox is better against Burn particularly, but fink are rlly good against Deed and wrath of god decks. Rhox i good as a GSZ target, fnks are good on their own, and i board them in in a lot of MU.

Loves Witchcraft. <3
    Oct 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Jak View Post
    SB
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Krosan Grip
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Worship
    1 Stony Silence
    1 Aura of Silence
    1 Choke
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Bojuka Bog

I am most concerned with the SB. I basically filled it to answer a broad number of things. I opted for Worship over COP:Red, but I think either could work. Anyone have any thoughts on the two?

So how does it look for my suspected meta? Any thoughts or concerns?
    Only thing I have to say about your mainboard is that you might add another Umezawa's Jitte, it would help a bit with Elves. Maybe 1 Elspeth also if you suspect a lot of stoneblade. About your sideboard: You have only one krosan grip, it cannot be tutored for and odds drawing that one-of seems a bit thin to make a difference. Only one choke. Now, choke is a really, really good card but it isn't a good one-of. You also can't think that you'll use Enlightened Tutor to find it, because you're playing against a blue deck and you don't want to lose 2 cards for one counterspell. Not sure about Aura of Silence, wouldn't rule of law be better? If you want something against enchantments serenity is good.

You have a lot of graveyard hate, if you suspect a lot of graveyard based decks move Bojuka Bog into mainboard for better G1 and wider sideboard. If you're expecting a lot of UW StoneBlade decks, I'd suggest you to play Garruk Relentless and Elspeth, Knight-Errant in the sideboard. Maybe even 5-mana Garruk.

These are my thoughts, hopefully some of them make you think and help you find the best possible sideboard.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by Machahiko View Post
    Only thing I have to say about your mainboard is that you might add another Umezawa's Jitte, it would help a bit with Elves. Maybe 1 Elspeth also if you suspect a lot of stoneblade. About your sideboard: You have only one krosan grip, it cannot be tutored for and odds drawing that one-of seems a bit thin to make a difference. Only one choke. Now, choke is a really, really good card but it isn't a good one-of. You also can't think that you'll use Enlightened Tutor to find it, because you're playing against a blue deck and you don't want to lose 2 cards for one counterspell. Not sure about Aura of Silence, wouldn't rule of law be better? If you want something against enchantments serenity is good.
    I love Jitte so that may be a possibility. I'm really tight on spots already, so from my list posted, I am probably going to have to shave a land to get it to 60. I may go with the random 1/1 split of Sylvan and Elspeth, just because I like both cards and I have seen that done before, but it may be a little too random for my tastes. I really like my creature count too. I'll have to give it some thought.

I threw in one Grip because I already have the one Aura of Silence. It isn't ALL that random but yes it still is. I want to have a couple outs to Humility or Deed so that's why those two are in there. Aura is good against combo, makes Deed cost a shit ton, and is just good in those corner cases you see in Legacy.

I totally agree with you on Choke and didn't realize that before. I was trying to get maximum space, so I will definitely add another. I'll probably get rid of the Metamorph since Prog has fallen out of favor from what it looks like (Damn, it's been a while since I've played Legacy ha).

You have a lot of graveyard hate, if you suspect a lot of graveyard based decks move Bojuka Bog into mainboard for better G1 and wider sideboard. If you're expecting a lot of UW StoneBlade decks, I'd suggest you to play Garruk Relentless and Elspeth, Knight-Errant in the sideboard. Maybe even 5-mana Garruk.
    I kind of flt the same way, so I think I may cut the Crypt. Wheel is really good against Dredge so I want to keep that and Surgicals are more versatile. I like Garruk a lot actually. It looks very powerful in that MU and anything with Black as well.

These are my thoughts, hopefully some of them make you think and help you find the best possible sideboard.
    Thank you very much! This is what I've restructured my board to:

SB
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Choke
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    1 Worship / COP:Red
    1 Stony Silence
    1 Aura of Silence
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Bojuka Bog