Thread: Paroxysm

Paroxysm

It's a pretty straight forward deck...messing around with it a little. Any suggestions?

// Lands
    1 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
    4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
    2 [R] Bayou
    1 [LRW] Shelldock Isle
    4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
    4 [U] Underground Sea
    4 [ON] Polluted Delta
    1 [6E] Swamp (2)

// Creatures
    4 [FUT] Tombstalker
    4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
    1 [ROE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 [UL] Cloud of Faeries

// Spells
    1 [DD2] Daze
    2 [V09] Lotus Petal
    1 [SOK] Pithing Needle
    4 [AT] Hymn to Tourach
    4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
    4 [WL] Doomsday
    4 [DDE] Dark Ritual
    4 [CST] Brainstorm
    4 [V09] Sensei's Divining Top
    1 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse

// Sideboard
    SB: 4 [ZEN] Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 3 [DK] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 3 [TO] Llawan, Cephalid Empress
    SB: 2 [MI] Mind Harness
    SB: 3 [OD] Ghastly Demise

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Re: Paroxysm

I understand the whole "tempo doomsday" idea, but why is there only one Daze?
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Interesting. As a DD/Shelldock player, I think you're playing too many lands. You also need a basic Island (just cut a Sea, you don't need 4). I'm not sure about the Pulse in the main. I also really want Spell Pierce to be somewhere in the 75, not sure what to cut though.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

@ pastor: there was a second one but I cut it for the second lotus petal. I may cut a land for one.

@ admiral: Yeah I think cutting a land is ok...but a basic island doesn't work. Just playing the third land land and casting doomsday after wrecking ur opponents hand is too common and the island gets in the way of that. Pretty much for the same reason I prefer the other three protection cards as the doomsday win can be mana intensive, especially if u want to combo in one turn. Pulse is just the all purpose removal piece for piles I put in...a blue bounce spell could be better.

Thanks for the input.

I decided to revive one of my old pre innistrad era brews for the pre inn discord event beginning this week since we'll be getting the all access tokens on weds. I didn't touch the md, but modified the sb for the pre inn meta. Lots of painter, blood moon, counter top etc.

1 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Bayou
    1 Shelldock Isle
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Underground Sea
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp

// Creatures
    4 Tombstalker
    4 Tarmogoyf
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Cloud of Faeries

// Spells
    1 Daze
    2 Lotus Petal
    1 Pithing Needle
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Doomsday
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Maelstrom Pulse

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 2 Vendilion Clique
    SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 4 Krosan Grip
    SB: 1 Mind Harness
    SB: 3 Go for the Throat
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Sep 2011

So this is basically Team America Doomsday?

I miss the pre-Inn meta. 0 Delver of Secrets is underrated tech.

Why the 1-of Daze? Is that for specific Doomsday piles? I would expect them to counter Doomsday if they counter anything. Which piles do you use Daze for? Otherwise more than 1 Daze seems good.

I would worry about relying on only discard to beat counters, because fair blue decks from that era can hide Force with Top/Brainstorm or draw into it if you crack Standstill. I'm more familiar with the UB Xerox Shelldock Doomsday from that era (Menendian's build), which could run FoW in the 75 as another line of interaction, but you don't have the blue count for that. What about Autumn's Veil in the SB? Xantid Swarm's probably bad because you have the MD beatdown plan, so they are never boarding out removal. Maybe Defense Grid?

Is Flusterstorm legal in this format? If so, that could take your Mindbreak Trap slot as both anti-storm and protection.
    Edit: Printed summer 2011 just before Innistrad

Is Gitaxian Probe legal in this format? NPH was released just before INN. Probe wasn't on the banlist then. Very strong in Doomsday.

If you expect a lot of Moon Stompy and Painter, do you want more than 1 basic main? Expect a lot of Wasteland too. Blue control from that era had very greedy manabases, which means other decks will attack them with Wasteland. Canadian Thresh is a thing (RUG Stifle+Wasteland). 13 fetches to 1 basic seems like a bad ratio for that meta.

Even with a 2nd basic in the deck, most games you can curve out with Swamp Sea and Bayou, casting Doomsday on 3. You don't need to fetch the off color basic all the time. But if you don't even have the ability to fetch Forest in response, you have basically 0 outs to Blood Moon on the stack (Lotus Petal to cast Grip??). No FoW for it. To beat Blood Moon with Grip, you need to be able to produce green mana. You could probably skip Island because you have so little blue.
    Last edited by FTW; 01-11-2021 at 10:30 AM.

Yeah all good points! Probe is legal but I didn't realise this . And I think you're right, flusterstorm is just > mbt here. The forest is definitely tempting too. I have no idea why I put daze in here, but was not confident enough to cut it or add more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I don't want to be obtuse here, but wouldn't it be correct to just jam Counterbalance somewhere between the main/side?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Sep 2011

Good point. Boarding into Counterbalance could be strong.
    With 4x Sea 0x Island Counterbalance could be hard to cast vs Moons and Wasteland, but in other matchups it could be both protection and disruption.

What are those Cliques in the SB for? I get Clique in decks like RUG, but is the effect even good when you already have Thoughtseize? Maybe that slot could be CBs.

Why Go For the Throat as removal? If your meta has Painter, is Smother better? Dreadnought was also popular back then. I'm trying to think of what was dangerous back then that didn't die to Smother but would die to GftT. Cheatyface decks didn't have Griselbrand yet, so they went for Emrakul or Iona or Progenitus (all dodge removal). Jace set the bar for what 4 mana had to do, with Natural Order close behind. That kept fair threats at 1-3 cmc. Enemy Tombstalker is the only one I can think of.

Thread Information