Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: [SCD] Mental Misstep

The Sinister Minister

Oct 2005
    Cranston, RI

Is Mental Misstep the Budget Force of Will?

After being at GP Providence and watching a LOT of games, I began to become of the opinion that mental misstep is more essential to most blue decks than force of will. After the whole shebang is won without force, the argument is even stronger.

Here are the questions for the community-

1) do you believe mental misstep makes it easier for budget blue decks to compete?

2) are you going to play less copies or even no copies of force of will due to access to mental misstep?

3) has mental misstep effected your deckbuilding in other ways?

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Re: Is Mental Misstep the Budget Force of Will?

Yes to 1 and 3. U/G Infect is a sick budget deck. And just wait. Decks will emerge with all 2-3 CMC spells just to blank Misstep.

No to 2, but you aren't quite summarizing what Mental Misstep is. It's not the budget Force. It's the Force for decks that aren't remotely blue enough to play Force. In other words, if you're making your deck more blue than it needs to be just to play Force of Will (See Bant), you can now just play it more true to what it needs and not have to worry about your blue count. It lets decks splash just a little blue for Brainstorm, Misstep, and one or two other blue cards.

And while a lot of Merfolk decks seem to be dropping to 3 Forces, not me. It makes boarding Force out a lot easier, but Force of Will is still Force of Will.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I agree with Tacosnape, Misstep supplements force most of the time in decks with no blue card problems like Folk or Landstill. However, for decks such as Bant, UG infect and other light splash blue decks, Misstep pretty much replaces Force and allows the deck to operate as normal without having to run too many blue cards.

Remember how people argue that if Sylvan Library was blue and pitched to force, it would be the most broken thing ever? Well, now that Bant deck can play, KOTRs, Sylvans and GSZs without worrying too much about the blue count. It beat combo without Force in the finals. Preboard he got rolled as expected, but post board, between Missteps, Daze, Gaddock Teeg and Spell Pierce, its very possible to beat combo handily.

1) Yes. Mental misstep makes it easier for budget blue (and non-blue) decks to compete.

2) Yes. 3 copies of Force of Will is reasonable in mid-range/tempo decks when combined with 4 Missteps since key spells that matter most cost 1. For blue-based combo decks however, 4 Force will still be the standard.

3) Yes. Not only has mental misstep affected deckbuilding strategies but also deck choices to be more specific.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Is Misty Rainforest the budget Tropical Island?

Discuss.

May 2011
    Nikaho, 秋田県

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddian View Post
    Is Misty Rainforest the budget Tropical Island?

Discuss.
    Sure, but only because misty+savannah is cheaper than trop, and bant doesn't always need another blue.

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Non blue decks using misstep are placing high on tournaments now

Thread Information