Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Torpor Orb

Re: [SCD] Torpor Orb

Quote Originally Posted by eq.firemind View Post
    Fixed? Just throwing some ideas out there. I also like Tombstalker and Vision Charm with Dreadnought.

Maybe Trinket Mage would fit well in the above list.

Nice card, you can easily compare this to Null Rod, good utility card, synergizes with your strategy (Dreadnaught), and can counter your opponent's ability as well. But with this card in multiples in your deck would result in a dead draw as well if you already have one in play. With Torpor Orb it would build a whole new deck in legacy, like Torpor Naught, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I'd much rather go the Topor Orb + Eater of Days route, personally.

EDIT: Shit, now I can hard-cast Lord of Tresserhorn with no drawback! Haven't been able to do that since Mask!
    ^ Now that's crazy, 4 to cast 9/8 flying trample is golden for me. Now how do I make a proper deck out of it?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Eater of Days is too expensive to synergize well with Stifle/Trickbind.

T1: Tomb, Torpor
    T2: Tomb/City, Eater

is good, though.

There's no reason to play crappy cards in order to be consistent, there's a way to maximize both efficency and make the deck extremely synergic with lots of redundant pieces.

4 Stifle
    4 Vision Charm
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Torpor Orb
    1 Oblvion Ring

4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Tombstalker

4 Brainstorm
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Mental Misstep
    2 Duress/Daze

4 Wasteland
    16 Fetches and Duals

Vision Charm phases out artifacts for a turn so the drawback doesn't apply. It combos with Dreadnought. Vision charm also fills your yard for Tombstalker and Tarmogoyf if it can't bring out a Dreadnought.

Thanks to Orb, Enlightened Tutor can tutor up either half of the combo. It can also grab an O. Ring to save your butt from an Emrakul or anything else so it's never a dead card.

Stifle is great at picking off fetchlands so it's never dead, vision charm at filling your yard (basically acting like a dark ritual for 5 mana when being used to cast tombstalker) so it's never dead, and Orb is also solid since it can shut off lots of random goblins and other creatures while being a combo piece.

With 13 maindeck cards and tutors to combo with it, Dreadnought is never a dead card either.

Nov 2006
    London

Eater of Days? Really? You know cards like Natural Order exist, right?

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

This is a really interesting card, wondering if the dead draws later in the game are worth the potential early brokenness for decks that can't manipulate their draws very well. My initial thought was a new Sui Black with Torpor Orb, Hunted Horror, Dreadnought, and Obliterator, possibly abusing other cards like Avatar of Discord or Spined Fluke. But the idea of holding a dead Dreadnought in hand while you look for an orb seems bad.

One question, does this card shut down Glimpse of Nature, or is that not considered an "ability"?

I check my look in the mirror.

Feb 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    One question, does this card shut down Glimpse of Nature, or is that not considered an "ability"?
    You draw a card when you play (cast) the creature, not when it enters play. So Glimpse of Nature still works fine.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

does this also stop meddling mage and all those other like cards, and painter's servant?
    -rob

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    does this also stop meddling mage and all those other like cards, and painter's servant?
    Nope, doesn't work.

It shuts down "When ~ enters the battlefield", while "As ~ enters the battlefield" still works.

"Ill cast Eater of Days... since my Torpor Orb is out, i dont-"

"In response, natures claim that orb thing."

...."@#$@#$@#$!!!!!"
    You look bored, I wish
    everything about the danger
    wouldnt make you such a stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by Uly Van Hammer View Post
    "Ill cast Eater of Days... since my Torpor Orb is out, i dont-"

"In response, natures claim that orb thing."

...."@#$@#$@#$!!!!!"
    When I say I'd much rather play Topor Orb with Eater of Days, that is saying a whole lot about Topor Orb. Think about it.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

I want to see someone try and cast a Leveler with this thing out. That would be fun to Krosan Grip in response.

I'm not sure there's really a place for this card in main decks. It's too much of a cute trick to me. I'd rather just be playing Stifle instead of a card that does nothing if I don't have a dreadnought or some other monster handy. It doesn't work well with Trinket Mage so you're cutting one of the best searchers for a Dreadnought. I miss Masknought a lot, but I can't see myself getting behind this thing despite how much I love Lord of Tresserhorn.

Now on the other hand, I do see myself playing this as a sideboard card to cards that have citp triggers that it can hit. I can't think of too many right of the top of my head, but I am sure there's some worth mentioning. Painter's Servant doesn't get hit and that's a shame. That would be a heck of a nice board card for a blanket effect for. Servant doesn't like being turned off. Too bad Survival tool box decks are dead too, it would be hilarious to hit them with.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    When I say I'd much rather play Topor Orb with Eater of Days, that is saying a whole lot about Topor Orb. Think about it.
    No kidding. I don't see this card being very useful. I would imagine that it's a great answer for something, but too narrow and other cards just seem to already be better.

Seems silly to run Phage-esque cards for a high chance to lose when they respond by removing the orb.
    Might be fun for casual. I hope someone proves me wrong!

Rapin' your villages, Burnin' your women
    Dec 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Elbeano View Post
    Shockingly everyone seems to be focusing on how the Orb removes drawbacks from critters - or makes them useless (a la Goblins) - when the Orb functionally neuters Counterbalance where it counts - landing threats...

Food for thought
    I believe you are confused about the difference between casting a creature and it entering the battlefield. Unless you're saying that conterbalance really really needs Trinket Mage/Sower/Clique/w/e.

I'm still very interested in this card, and it will probably be my endeavor to create a competitive deck around it.

I've been testing it quite extensively and it is proving to be a little bit more powerful than some people are giving it credit for. This is not a card that should resolve, as it basically turns on your entire deck if you've properly built around it, but not exclusively towards it.

Nov 2003
    San Diego

It's tough because the orb is useless without powering out a creature (or vs. Goblins or Faeries or something, but against other decks it would be easier to answer the creature). Also, the creature is incredibly useless without Orb (or at least Stifle) and you're still open to an immediate 2:1.

The advantage of Orb is that it sticks around even if the Dreadnought is gone. That's cool, I guess, but to take advantage of that, you need to find another Dreadnought. Without Trinket Mage. I don't see this as being good, and the uselessness of the individual parts means that it's tough to splash.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddian View Post
    you need to find another Dreadnought. Without Trinket Mage.
    Time for Artificer's Intuition. Finally. I may test it.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

I have been testing Orb in a shell like this. It seems to be doing pretty good. Orb is nice, but the deck kinda flopps when you don't draw it. Stifle is there to help with that. I'm almost thinking this is just a worse version of Dreadstill, but further testing will help.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation

// Lands
    4 Polluted Delta
    5 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Wasteland
    4 Underground Sea
    4 Mishra's Factory

// Creatures
    3 Hunted Horror
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 Dark Confidant

// Spells
    3 Torpor Orb
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Standstill
    4 Mental Misstep
    4 Stifle
    4 Force of Will

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

How about a collaborative list compiling common legacy creatures Orb is good against?

Kitchen Finks
    Tidehollow Sculler
    Trinket Mage
    Imperial Recruiter
    Elivish Visionary
    Merrow Rejerry
    Terastodon
    Fleshbag Marauder
    Spellstutter Sprite
    V. Clique
    Cloud of Faeries
    Ringleader
    Sundering Titan
    Stingscrounger
    Matron
    aluren.dec
    Countryside Crusher
    Gatekeeper
    Flame-Kin Zealot

additions welcome!

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by klaus View Post
    How about a collaborative list compiling common legacy creatures Orb is good against?

Kitchen Finks
    Tidehollow Sculler
    Trinket Mage
    Imperial Recruiter
    Elivish Visionary
    Merrow Rejerry
    Terastodon
    Fleshbag Marauder
    Spellstutter Sprite
    V. Clique
    Cloud of Faeries
    Ringleader