Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Sword of War and Peace

Oct 2009
    altered states of america

[SCD] Sword of War and Peace

Sword of War and Peace
    Myth.
    Artifact – Equipment
    Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has protection from red and white.
    Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, Sword of War and Peace deals damage to that player equal to the number of cards in his or her hand and you gain 1 life for each card in your hand.
    Not exactly sure what to think of this in the context of legacy. Hand sizes at turn 4-5 aren't that big, so these effects might pack a punch depending. +5 damage could be absurd.
    I will make use of every tool that fate presents.

Feel It
    Oct 2010
    Mtgthesource.com, where else? :)

Re: [SCD] Sword of War and Peace

Not sure what to think of it either, seems it could be OK-ish against control, forcing them to dump cards or if the opponent is mana screwed, it could be a beating. Imo, this sword overall feels weak. It's also the only sword that doesn't provide a Card Advanage effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post

Oh ya, there was that SCG article with a deck called Laxstorm. If you ask me, it reminds me more of a laxative brand and not the player (no offence to Ari Lax).

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

It's the sword with the best protections, yet the one with the worst effects, even beating Body & Mind.

I guess no one expected them to go for the Sudden Impact + crappy Gerrard's Wisdom route. Whoever designed that sword did a terrible job imho. It's a conditional, worse Sword of Fire and Light that can't generate card advantage.

It will still see play play due to its protections, but other than that, it kinda sucks.

Oct 2005
    Mass

For decks like Chalice Aggro, your opponent will have a tough time dumping their hand and will take an absolute beating when this connects. Gaining even a few life makes this thing very hard to race.

Pro red/white is easily the best. Immunity to the commonly used removal. Zoo will not enjoy facing down against this thing.

Despite being the only sword that doesn't grant card advantage, it does provide the highest total mana in effects.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

It's a good sword for aggro decks. Single handed accelerates the kill and protects your threats from StP/PtE/Firespout vs control.
    That said, SoLaS does a better job with protections, and generate card advantage. I think this will see low play in legacy, target for Stoneforge .
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

IT seems much better than sword of light and shadow, and that swords was commonly played just for its protections. Not in legacy though.

Oct 2009
    altered states of america

Quote Originally Posted by RexFTW View Post
    IT seems much better than sword of light and shadow, and that swords was commonly played just for its protections. Not in legacy though.
    I play SoLS :(
    I will make use of every tool that fate presents.

SoLaS is better by far.

The pump from the sword makes your creature bolt-proof anyway. Plus you get protection from black removal.

Black removal will get more popular with MM, so this sword will get worse after the set gets released. Decks might even grab a singleton black dual so they can run Snuff Out, since StP is going to get much worse with MM, which thus makes SoLS better anyway. Zoo is probably on the decline with MM, so the pro-red won't matter as much.

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

I don't know, I'm going to say that an equipment that give your attacker a virtual +2 to +9 damage is pretty significant. Life swing blah blah blah. With infect blah blah blah. Potential for explosiveness but no real utility outside of protections.

Seems like it's worth fitting into a deck that runs Stoneforge Mystic. There will be times when this is the best option to fetch and times when it won't. Overall, Sword of Fire and Ice is still the best overall sword because it creates card advantage by removing creatures and drawing cards.
    I see more than others do because I know where to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    It's the sword with the best protections.
    The +2/+2 puts most creatures out of burn range already. Thus I think the best protection colors are white, green or black and then red in that order.

White for StP. Green for goyf, Knight etc. Black for Tombstalker, Nighthawk, Obliterator, Go for the Throat, Snuff Out etc.

Quite weak compared to it's predecessor's, most especially SoBaM and SoFaF. But the Sudden Impact ability can be quite useful. It would create a better clock to kill any opponent, so say you are fighting control with a rather full hand then this would hurt then A LOT. The life gain is meh, but when I look through again it might be relevant due to the ever prevalent Phyrexian mana/pay 2 life costs which I would probably running together with Dark Confidant, Thoughtseize, Surgical Extraction and Mental Misstep. I think I would kill myself first before my opponent ever does.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Best sword ever. I'm already buying up staples for Howling_Mine_Font_of_Mythos_Jace_Beleren_Temple_Bell_Runeflare_Trap.dec

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

For Legacy, Jitte works well enough with lifegain. SoLS gives a decent buffer too.

SoWP gives too conditional of a life-gain for use of Phyrexian mana. If you're aggresively using these spells where your life total is in jeopardy, then you're very likely not holding onto many cards in hand, which defeats the purpose of the sword's life gain.

Catch 22.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

This sword is designed for Standard, to kill Jaces/Planeswalkers more easily. I would only play this sword in Legacy for its flexible Pro-colors, but even then, it's not worthwhile in a SFM deck. I might be proven wrong.
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Sword of War and Peace is probably the best sword against red-based aggro decks such as Zoo, Sligh, and Burn. The life gain is huge against them, and it gives your creatures protection from their burn spells as soon as you successfully equip it, which SoLaS and Jitte do not. However, if you aren't expecting to see those kinds of decks, you probably don't need to play it.
    I see more than others do because I know where to look.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Nothing stops Zoo/Sligh/burn from killing your creature in response to equipping. This has always been true, and pretty much renders equipment a futile effort against such decks. This hasn't changed since Jitte became legal.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

By the time you can realistically get this card out and equipped onto an attacker they (aggro decks) might not have any cards in their hand at all.

Oct 2010
    Ventura, CA

Is this sword design confirmed? Where was the info leaked, I never saw it on the Mothership?

If this is the sword though, I am a little surprised they decided to go with life-gain and burn after they already used them on the other swords. That is really lame.

Thread Information