Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SCD] Sword of War and Peace

Oct 2009
    Michigan

Re: [SCD] Sword of War and Peace

Agreed. It, unfortunately, looks pretty legit. I was hoping for so much more.

Dying to my own cards

Apr 2011
    Ft Bragg

I think this could see some play in SFM/Vial decks, at least in the SB. Those decks get wrecked by Firespout and being pro-Swords is obviously good. The creatures in those decks are usually hate bears that are great at stalling the game but give your opponent ample time to find a sweeper. This lets you hold cards back to avoid sweepers and still apply a tremendous clock thanks to the grip full of cards they have.

It also helps these decks against their worst MU: Zoo. Yes I know it's not gauranteed to stick to anything but if/when it does the life gain and protection are tremdously relevant.

IF you can get this onto a creature against a Tendrils deck you're in great shape as well. Swinging for at least 10 AND gaining a decent bit of life seems pretty good there. I know it's slow and Tendrils is fast, but the decks that would play it are good at slowing combo down especially post-board.

Is it the best sword ever? No. Will it see some play? Yes

Power level is whatever, but the sword is pretty lame from a design perspective, lifegain and burn were already used and neither effect provides any CA, breaking the symmetry of the cycle. Boring design. Could have had more interesting effects for sure.

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion. This was a card that has been hyped and drooled over for a long time. Personally, I think it is amazing because of the potential damage that you can achieve with one attack. the lifegain isn't useless... especially since people are going to be at lower life totals because of Mental Misstep.

Seriously though, this makes stuff like Cloud of Faeries a lot strong. I think it's worth it to potentially do more damage per attack, gain life, and protect my creature from being STP/PTE (the most important thing!) by giving up protection from blue and a card for each attack.

Automatic purchase of at least 1 of. Thank you Stoneforge Mystic.

I was thinking of how this card would interact with Mirran Crusader. As a 2/2 Double strike for 3, in and of itself that's pretty solid, having Prot Black and Green makes him unblockable by almost every popular creature in the format: Tarmogoyf, Knight of the Reliquary, Dark Confidant, Tomb Stalker, etc. Putting Sword of War and Peace on him would then make him a 4/4 Double Strike: Prot black, green, red, white, making him nearly unkillable by spot removal.

On top of that, since he has double strike, if I'm not mistaken he triggers the effect twice: in the event that they have 3 cards in their hand, he'll swing unblocked for 4 + 3, and again for 4 + 3, dealing 14 damage in a single swing (while healing you for X life).

Probably worst of the 5 Swords with it's very mediocre effect. But still it's protection is quite relevant, and has a greater interaction with Mirran Crusader giving it 4 protections except from Blue. The only problem I see is that would you run this over SoFI, SoLaS or SoFaF? Probably not, maybe in the SB if I can see any space to put this at all.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

While jitte is by far the most flexible of all the swords and Jitte. This one does something Jitte doesnt. Gaining life while still being on the offensive. If you have a creature with active sword with 7 cards in your hand at the start of the match. Probly refilling your handseze with Dark Confidants, Stoneforge, Jace etc. Then it will give way stronger lifegain. But cos we have the luxery of playing stoneforge we dont need to dedicate much spaces for a strong life recuperation. Stoneforge also allows for us to search for jitte when jitte is gonna give more life then the sword.

I think the card has to be tested to see how strong it is, theory can just go so long.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

You can't really mitigate the life loss effect as that's cards in *their* hand, not yours. So in order for this Sword to do what it's supposed to do, both players need to have a bunch of cards in hand.

I'm trying to imagine a match-up where this would be the Sword to send Stoneforge Mystic after. Maybe something dumb like Spring Tide? It's not going to be anything aggro that runs W/R; while their removal may no longer work on that dude, chances are it just goes to your face while they puke their hand on the table, and then you're in a position where you probably have to start playing cards too (instead of just holding them like the Sword seems to want both players doing) so inevitably the Sword gets worse unless neither player is doing anything. And if my opponent really wants to try and puke their hand out I probably want SoFI or Jitte anyway.

I expected a lot more out of this Sword; namely, actual card advantage. I dunno, maybe it's attractive if you're playing dumb things that lock people out, like Trinisphere and/or Ethersworn Canonist.

Oct 2009
    altered states of america

I'd say this is better than body and mind by a big margin, just by virtue of the great protection effects. Even the connection trigger can be good in certain decks, though in legacy people get rid of their hands rather fast, at least interactive decks. The problem is, the decks that do keep big hands near 6 cards or so can get rid of them if they really need to, without a huge detriment to their gameplan.
    I will make use of every tool that fate presents.

Thread Information