Thread: [EDH] Oona, Queen of the Fae

[EDH] Oona, Queen of the Fae

The other Oona threads seem to have died, so I am going to start a new one by posting the list I am working on.

This deck is specifically designed for multiplayer games. Because of that I have made it fairly non-interactive. I am only including a few of the premium counterspells and no hand disruption. The idea is to assemble the infinite combos as fast as possible and hopefully do it before the rest of the table can kill you.

Tutors - 18 - Since we are trying to combo off ASAP, having as many tutors as possible to get the pieces is very important.
    Demonic Tutor
    Vampiric Tutor
    Fabricate
    Imperial Seal
    Grim Tutor
    Mystical Tutor
    Tezzeret the Seeker
    Trinket Mage
    Transmute Artifact
    Lim-Dûl's Vault
    Increasing Ambition
    Beseech the Queen
    Diabolic Tutor
    Shred Memory
    Muddle the Mixture
    Dimir Infiltrator
    Perplex
    Drift of Phantasms

Permission - 6
    Swan Song - A true standout in this deck. Holding open one mana is much easier than two, and this counters most of the things we are truly worried about. The bird is also a non-issue.
    Force of Will
    Mana Drain - I question if this should even really be considered permission in this deck. You will almost never be holding up Blue Blue as a defensive measure. The only time you will be doing it is to counter the biggest spell your opponents cast and use it to ramp for the next turn.
    Pact of Negation
    Arcane Denial - This is just so much better than Counterspell in a 4 player environment. It essentially cantrips and requires less colored mana. There are only so many spells we care about countering and this gets the job done perfectly.
    Misdirection - I have had mixed results with this spell. I have considered swapping it out for Counterspell, but holding open Blue Blue without the mana acceleation that comes with Mana Drain seems very unrealistic.

Card Selection - 6
    Ponder
    Gitaxian Probe
    Preordain
    Brainstorm
    Impulse - I would love to find a substitute for this spell. It has been unimpressive consistently, but I don't see many better options.
    Scroll Rack

Card Draw - 6
    Timetwister - One of my favorite spells in this deck. The availability of this allows for extremely aggressive mulligans, since you know you can refill your hand on turn 2 or 3.
    Windfall
    Ad Nauseam - I have had mixed results with this spell. If you use it and I am not able to win the next turn I am likely dead.
    Rhystic Study
    Stroke of Genius
    Memory Jar

Utility - 6
    Cyclonic Rift - This is sort of the answer to everything. Whenever the board state has become difficult to combo off, you should look for this to solve the issue.
    Yawgmoth's Will
    Chromatic Sphere - These aren't ideal solutions for this deck's hunger for colored mana, but they certainly help. Using them in conjunction with a Vampiric/Mystical Tutor to get the card immediately is also very handy.
    Chromatic Star
    Goblin Cannon - This card really surprised me. I originally included it as a sort of plan B for when Oona was tucked, but it has really become plan A at this point. Getting the colored mana necessary to cast her is just a lot more difficult than having a tutor to get the Cannon. I would say that at least 70% of my games end with using this as a finisher. Don't forget you can even use it as some emergency removal when you see the dreaded Hermit Druid getting ready to combo off on the other side of the table.
    Meekstone - A recent inclusion in the deck. I have only drawn it once thus far, and it didn't do much in that game. I will need to do further testing.

Combo Pieces - 4
    Basalt Monolith
    Grim Monolith
    Rings of Brighthearth
    Power Artifact

Mana Acceleration - 18
    Mana Crypt - Probably the best card in the deck. Even if you have bad luck with rolls, you will likely finish the game before the life loss is relevant.
    Sol Ring
    Mox Opal - With all the artifacts in the deck, this is almost always turned on.
    Mox Diamond
    Chrome Mox
    Talisman of Dominance
    Fellwar Stone
    Dimir Signet
    Lotus Bloom
    Mana Vault
    Lion's Eye Diamond
    Coldsteel Heart
    Sky Diamond
    Charcoal Diamond
    Coalition Relic
    Lotus Petal
    Dark Ritual
    Cabal Ritual - Getting to threshold is not easy in this deck. In many cases this acts like a worse Dark Ritual.

Lands – 35
    Underground Sea
    Watery Grave
    Command Tower
    Underground River
    Darkwater Catacombs
    Seat of the Synod - The artifact lands are here for a couple of reasons. Perhaps the most important is that they can be fetched by artifact tutors such as trinket mage & fabricate. Effectively turning those cards into mana fixing in extreme cases.
    Vault of Whispers
    City of Brass
    Forbidden Orchard - The "downside" of giving away spirits hasn't worked that way for me in 4 player games. In fact the ability to give away creatures and curry favor has made this card amazingly useful outside of fixing.
    Reflecting Pool
    Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    Sunken Ruins
    River of Tears
    Ancient Tomb - This deck is very color intensive, so adding a colorless land is tough. However, the pure power that you can get out of this land makes it easily worthwhile.
    Bloodstained Mire - All of the fetch lands are great. There are enough basics in the mana base that I have never run into a situation where a fetchland was dead.
    Verdant Catacombs
    Marsh Flats
    Polluted Delta
    Flooded Strand
    Misty Rainforest
    Scalding Tarn
    Drowned Catacomb
    Darkslick Shores
    Temple of Deceit - In general I despise lands that always come into play tapped. They work very counter to the all out speed that this deck is trying to attain. However, this is my favorite of the dual lands that always come into played tapped. The scry can be moderately useful.
    Creeping Tar Pit - I am very close to cutting this for a basic. The odds of me ever wanting to attack with it are extremely low, so this is essentially no better than a guildgate.
    Jwar Isle Refuge - The one life is pretty much negligible.
    2 x Swamp
    7 x Island - I am seriously considering cutting some of the worse duals for more basics. There are a lot of nonbasic hosers going around and it might be worth having worse mana to better dodge them.
    Last edited by Blackacre; 11-16-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Thread Information