Thread: Jevela, Nephalia's Scourge

My cat's name is Tarmogoyf!
    Dec 2010
    Franklin, PA; Cleveland, OH

Jevela, Nephalia's Scourge

Hello!

I have been working on building a unique and fun combo-oriented Jevela Commander deck. I have to incorporated a few different lines to victory depending on the number of players and how serious you may be. A few combo wins to highlight:

Commander: Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge

Ancestral Vision
    Sensei's Divining Top
    Sol Ring
    Brainstorm
    Dispel
    Mystical Tutor
    Vampiric Tutor
    Personal Tutor
    Ponder
    Preordain
    Lightning Greaves
    Swiftfoot Boots
    Baleful Strix
    Snapcaster Mage
    Impulse
    Lim-Dul's Vault
    Negate
    Release the Ants
    Think Twice
    Demonic Tutor
    Merchant Scroll
    Laboratory Maniac
    Capsize
    Crosis's Charm
    Grixis Charm
    Long-Term Plans
    Oona's Grace
    Vendilion Clique
    Jace Beleren
    Anger of the Gods
    Cruel Tutor
    Doomsday
    Show and Tell
    Solemn Simulacrum
    Notion Thief
    Fact or Fiction
    Gifts Ungiven
    Insidious Dreams
    Mystical Teachings
    Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
    Damnation
    Evacuation
    Force of Will
    Hatred
    Spin into Myth
    Acquire
    Bribery
    Consecrated Sphinx
    Opportunity
    Beseech the Queen
    Life's Finale
    Tunnel Vision
    Firemind's Foresight
    Cruel Ultimatum
    Army of the Damned
    Decree of Pain
    Omniscience
    Blightsteel Colossus
    Enter the Infinite
    Draco
    Badlands
    Barren Moor
    Blood Crypt
    Cascade Bluffs
    Command Tower
    Crumbling Necropolis
    Dimir Aqueduct
    Dragonskull Summit
    Drowned Catacomb
    Forgotten Cave
    Graven Cairns
    Island
    Island
    Island
    Island
    Izzet Boilerworks
    Lonely Sandbar
    Mountain
    Mountain
    Mountain
    Opal Palace
    Rakdos Carnarium
    Riptide Laboratory
    Shelldock Isle
    Shivan Reef
    Spinerock Knoll
    Steam Vents
    Sulfur Falls
    Sulfurous Spring
    Sunken Ruins
    Swamp
    Swamp
    Swamp
    Tolaria West
    Underground River
    Underground Sea
    Volcanic Island
    Watery Grave

The rest of the deck is comprised of tutors and removal. You will need ways to protect yourself as you are setting up a combo kill and ways of doing that. I have also considered Kaboom! as another way to take out people if you can get Draco on top of you deck. The problem with that line is while it deals a considerable amount of damage, it does not kill a player unless they have already sustained some significant punishment. Additionally I have given some thought to Transmute Artifact. An early Baleful Strix or Solemn Simulacrum could easy become a Blightsteel which would be pretty formidable. So that is the deck currently... I would appreciate any thoughts on additional combo potential. For example more cards that are just insane value to cast off of Jevela and/or additional lines that could be worked into the list. Thanks for reading!

Aug 2009
    Germany

Re: Jevela, Nephalia's Scourge

My playgroup always manages to destroy Jeleva and/or the haste boots before I can attack. Is this enough protection for you?

Gifts Ungiven is banned.

Also, am I the only one who thought Jeleva could cast all instants and sorceries she ever exiled regardless of beeing removed and recast?

Dec 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Mnemon View Post
    My playgroup always manages to destroy Jeleva and/or the haste boots before I can attack. Is this enough protection for you?
    Well she does seem to be pretty powerful, which would likely paint a target on her. I actually haven't finished the deck so I am not sure if it is enough protection or not yet. I may also need some number of additional counter spells

Gifts Ungiven is banned.
    You are correct. My bad on that one. I guess I have a flex slot for a counter spell.

Also, am I the only one who thought Jeleva could cast all instants and sorceries she ever exiled regardless of being removed and recast?
    I guess I hadn't really considered this. I would guess it means only the time she has been most recently cast.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Yeah, I think the points Mnemon brings up is why the majority of wins I see with Jeleva are less about getting there with Omniscience and more about decking all the players (and it doesn't hurt to pass with a Laboratory Maniac in play, but typically forcing everyone to draw their 100th card before you do is the right play). It's a bit like infinite mana Oona, only without all that pesky targeting so someone can't randomly, like, have Leyline of the White Thing That Gives Shroud To A Player, or True Believer or some other perfectly good reason why they can't be targeted.

That's not to say you can't get your 3-card combo rocks off, but I think you'll find that to just be the quickest path to victory and end up favoring it. As much as I hate just Mike-Triking the table and/or DEN+Palinchron+anything I want, it is fundamentally the best way to win with my Sedris deck, so invariably that's just the way the deck shifts. vOv Maybe you're better at resisting temptation than I am. :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Aug 2009
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Yeah, I think the points Mnemon brings up is why the majority of wins I see with Jeleva are less about getting there with Omniscience and more about decking all the players (and it doesn't hurt to pass with a Laboratory Maniac in play, but typically forcing everyone to draw their 100th card before you do is the right play).
    How often do they recast Jeleva in those games and what else do they use for decking? Things like Reforge the Soul and Mind Grind?

Dec 2010

So for those of us that haven't seen an Oona go infinite, what would that process look like? Moreover, is there a reliable way to work it into this type of shell? Thanks!

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Sturtzilla View Post
    So for those of us that haven't seen an Oona go infinite, what would that process look like? Moreover, is there a reliable way to work it into this type of shell? Thanks!
    Since you're playing Omniscience, it's fairly elementary to go off with Palinchron. Cast it for free - then place its ETB ability on the stack and float as much mana as seven lands will let you, then return it to your hand with its own ability and recast it for free, wash rise repeat. This leads to arbitrarily high mana AND Storm count.

At this point, Oona steps in and exiles everyone's libraries with all that mana. Jeleva's a little different because you've got to be able to recast her. You're playing Capsize, so that's one method; there are a ton of sacrificial outlets in Grixis as well, not to mention colorless things like Carnage Altar and/or Phyrexian Altar. It's kind of up to you, especially once you get to that arbitrary mana stage.

EDIT: Check out Kuma's Oona decklist here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...een-of-the-Fae
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Thread Information