Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [EDH] Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed (formerly Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon)

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Re: [EDH] Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyStudent View Post
    I'd recommend fitting an Infernal Darkness into your list somewhere (maybe in place of Mind Slaver?). It can buy you the time needed for a few General kills, particularly if you drop it immediately after a Wrath effect.
    I like this idea. I like it a lot. I'll see about fitting one in.

What is the poison counter limit in Commander anyway?
    It's still ten poison counters.

Also in the offhand chance that you actually own one and overlooked it, Imperial Seal should be in the deck.
    Yeah, I don't own an Imperial Seal. Hopefully that will change soon. It's definitely going in here if/when I get one.

EDIT:

- Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    - Chainer's Edict

+ Infernal Darkness
    + Cruel Tutor
    + Insidious Dreams

I never won a game with Ulamog all the time he was in my deck. I got precious little out of Avatar of Woe, too. I had a hard time deciding between Chainer's Edict and Sundering Titan for the last cut. Let me know if I made the right decision.

Infernal Darkness is stupid good and will often lock your opponents out of the game for multiple turns. Unlike Contamination, it doesn't affect the amount of mana a land produces which means Cabal Coffers still taps for a billion. As an added bonus, you can get black out of Wasteland, Strip Mine, etc.

Cruel Tutor is another efficient tutor I wasn't running. Seems like it should be in there.

Insidious Dreams is probably a top five tutor in EDH and I don't know why more decks aren't running it. Gets you Cabal Coffers + Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Helm of Obedience + Leyline of the Void, Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed + Sheoldred, Whispering One, etc. If you have the cards in hand and the mana, you can also put a Night's Whisper or a Sign in Blood on top of your two-card combo and draw both pieces in one turn.

Maybe it's time to look at Ambition's Cost and Ancient Craving again.
    Last edited by Kuma; 08-02-2011 at 04:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

Flamenco Apprentice
    Apr 2007
    Brasil

So, how is this deck treating you so far? I'm about to run a very similar lists and want some feedback about your playstile and the rewards. I play in a very competitive metagame, with Godo, Zur and Sharuum being on top of the food chain.
    “THROUGH me you pass into the city of woe, through me you pass into eternal pain, Through me among the people lost for aye.
    Justice the founder of my fabric moved, to rear me was the task of Power divine, Supremest Wisdom, and primeval Love.
    Before me things create were none, save things Eternal, and eternal I endure.
    All hope abandon, ye who enter here.” - Inferno

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Lemuria View Post
    So, how is this deck treating you so far? I'm about to run a very similar lists and want some feedback about your playstile and the rewards. I play in a very competitive metagame, with Godo, Zur and Sharuum being on top of the food chain.
    Skithiryx is a deck that relies on subtlety and your opponents being more afraid of each other than of you. There's a saying in my EDH group: "The third player to be scary wins the game." Basically, the first person who does something insanely powerful gets hated out by the other players, the second player to do so gets whatever is left of the counters/removal, but by the third time someone tries to win the game no one has enough cards left to stop them. Your goal with Skithiryx is to be the third player who tries to win the game.

The best way to play is to sit back while building up cards and mana for the first six to eight turns of the game. Try not to do anything overtly threatening until your opponents have blown their loads. Tutor for cards like Cabal Coffers and Phyrexian Arena that set you up for the long game without drawing attention to yourself. Let your opponents over-commit to building up their board state then blow an Oblivion Stone or cast All is Dust. All those extra cards you drew and all that extra mana from Cabal Coffers should leave you better off than everyone else. If you're going for an instant kill like Helm of Obedience + Leyline of the Void or Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon + Nightmare Lash, play and use it in a single turn whenever possible. Leaving half of a kill out there will draw attention to yourself and make your opponents target you every time you play a tutor.

As the speed in which your playgroup kills varies, you're going to have to adjust your deck to continue being the third scary person. Right now, I find that in my playgroup I'm usually a turn too slow to win the game. As such, I've been brainstorming ways to make the deck a little faster.

You're kind of reliant on your opponents being able to stop each other. With all the creature removal, you shouldn't have too much trouble stopping Godo and Zur, but it looks like all three of you could have trouble stopping Sharuum. If Sharuum is problematic, I'd recommend running more graveyard hate and possibly Nevinyrral's Disk.
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Flamenco Apprentice
    Apr 2007
    Brasil

What about two or three more creatures with infect that could grab a Nightmare Lash too? also, what's your opinion on Howl from Beyond and Hatred?? Maybe it could get you a kill out of nowhere. Your opponents might not see it coming if you don't have any equipment in play.
    “THROUGH me you pass into the city of woe, through me you pass into eternal pain, Through me among the people lost for aye.
    Justice the founder of my fabric moved, to rear me was the task of Power divine, Supremest Wisdom, and primeval Love.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

What about two or three more creatures with infect that could grab a Nightmare Lash too? also, what's your opinion on Howl from Beyond and Hatred?? Maybe it could get you a kill out of nowhere. Your opponents might not see it coming if you don't have any equipment in play.
    If you're playing Skithiryx like Infect Stompy, you're doing it wrong.

We don't need to run any creatures just because they have infect, because our general has infect and we can cast him and give him haste whenever we need to. Even if Skithiryx gets tucked, we have 14 tutors that can go find him. Other infect creatures will be almost always be subpar draws or redundant with the general.

I'd run Sigil of Distinction and Shade's Form before anything like Howl from Beyond and Hatred. I want cards that can kill multiple players when combined with the general, not one-and-dones. Running lots of cards like Howl from Beyond encourage you to play aggressively, and that's the wrong way to take mono-Black in competitive EDH.

Remember, the third player to be scary wins the game.

Flamenco Apprentice
    Apr 2007
    Brasil

I understand your point and it makes sense. The bad part is that I don't own a Candelabra neither the expensive tutors, like imperial seal or cruel tutor. I got all others mentioned in your list though.

And I understand that going mono black control is the way to go, I also like how this deck can deal with things that normaly a pure mono black couldn't deal with, thanks to Karn, Oblivion, Steel Hellkite and All is Dust.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

I understand your point and it makes sense. The bad part is that I don't own a Candelabra neither the expensive tutors, like imperial seal or cruel tutor. I got all others mentioned in your list though.
    Don't worry, Candelabra of Tawnos isn't necessary and neither are the super-expensive tutors. Just look at some of the most recent cuts and replace anything you don't have/can't get with those.

Flamenco Apprentice
    Apr 2007
    Brasil

Do you think that Boseiju is needed on this deck, maybe to protect your discards and exsanguinate kills? Counterspells are becoming a problem where I play.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Ehh, I don't think Boseiju, who Shelters All is absolutely necessary, but if you're dealing with counterspells everywhere, you could give it a shot. I'd probably cut a spell for it, as I'm always hesitant to run non-Snow-Covered Swamp lands.

There are certainly counterspells in my group, but not so many that I've considered running Boseiju. You could also try running Thoughtseize, Duress, and possibly even Inquisition of Kozilek. All three of these are very underrated in EDH and should help you out with your counterspell problem while pulling double duty.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Innistrad changes:

- Karn Liberated
    - Necropotence
    - Wasteland

+ Bloodgift Demon
    + Snow-Covered Swamp
    + ???

Karn Liberated was a seven-mana Vindicate. If I really wanted a seven-mana Vindicate, I'd run Spine of Ish Sah, because at least there's some upside there. I also got tired of automatically losing to Mindslaver so I cut Necropotence. Tutoring for it in a four player game usually got me killed anyway. Wasteland was never being used for its intended purpose, so I figured it might as well be another Snow-Covered Swamp.

Bloodgift Demon should be a fantastic source of card advantage while being a backup beater. I need suggestions for something to try instead of Necropotence.

Are you looking for another card advantage source to fill the role of Necropotence? I've had success with Ambition's Cost and Ancient Craving in my Xiahou Dun list. Instead of throwing another swamp into the deck, you could try either Terrain Generator or Thawing Glaciers.

Also, depending on the other decks in your meta, you might consider Sorin Markov over Mindslaver.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Are you looking for another card advantage source to fill the role of Necropotence? I've had success with Ambition's Cost and Ancient Craving in my Xiahou Dun list.
    I'm really just looking for any good card to put in. Right now, the frontrunners are Nevinyrral's Disk, Ambition's Cost, and Ancient Craving.

Instead of throwing another swamp into the deck, you could try either Terrain Generator or Thawing Glaciers.
    I'm not a fan of either of those lands. They take up too much mana and time.

Also, depending on the other decks in your meta, you might consider Sorin Markov over Mindslaver.
    This deck doesn't protect planeswalkers well. When you're trying to kill with poison, putting someone at 10 isn't that great either. I'll think about it, but Sorin Markov probably isn't going in.

I really have to thank you. Infernal Darkness has been nothing short of amazing since I added it.
    Last edited by Kuma; 09-07-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Flamenco Apprentice
    Apr 2007
    Brasil

One question about the combo Leyline + Helm of Obedience works

The oracle says: Target opponent puts cards from the top of his or her library into his or her graveyard until a creature card or X cards are put into that graveyard this way, whichever comes first.

Well, since no cards are put into his grave, X will never be reached, and that means you will mill the entire deck?

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

One question about the combo Leyline + Helm of Obedience works

The oracle says: Target opponent puts cards from the top of his or her library into his or her graveyard until a creature card or X cards are put into that graveyard this way, whichever comes first.

Well, since no cards are put into his grave, X will never be reached, and that means you will mill the entire deck?
    Exactly, but you have to pay at least one mana for the Helm activation.
    Last edited by Kuma; 09-07-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Flamenco Apprentice
    Apr 2007
    Brasil

So after some plays and getting used to this deck, I finally get to tune the deck as I see fit in my meta. I would definetly not cut Wastedland, people here seems to love to run Maze of Ith. I was surprised that I did extremly good on 1x1 matches. I destroyed Kaalia and Balthor decks, and after some annoying but still victorius matches against Azami and Arbiter Augustin IV, I'm definetly adding Boseju. I'll maybe add Kozilek too, people loves to mill decks these days.....

How Sundering Titan and Drana goes for you? I can see a Titan making it in, but I haven't found any useful situation for Drana yet

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

So after some plays and getting used to this deck, I finally get to tune the deck as I see fit in my meta. I would definetly not cut Wastedland, people here seems to love to run Maze of Ith.
    It's funny, because after I wrote my Innistrad changes post, I won an epic game because I had Wasteland and Strip Mine to take out a Karador, Ghost Chieftain player's mana just enough to buy me a turn to kill him. As for Maze of Ith, we still have Strip Mine, Sundering Titan + Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, lots of tutors to find them, and backup victory conditions.

I'm still thinking about Wasteland. It might not get cut after all.

I was surprised that I did extremly good on 1x1 matches. I destroyed Kaalia and Balthor decks, and after some annoying but still victorius matches against Azami and Arbiter Augustin IV,
    Skithiryx is pretty good 1 vs. 1 against creature-based decks since you run a billion ways to clear the board. Glad to hear you're doing well against some pretty powerful decks!

I'm definetly adding Boseju. I'll maybe add Kozilek too, people loves to mill decks these days.....
    What sort of mill decks are you facing? Kozilek, Butcher of Truth doesn't protect you from Helm of Obedience/Leyline of the Void, or Oona, Queen of the Fae. It usually won't save you from Mind Over Matter/Temple Bell either, because once your opponent draws his deck he can usually go infinite mana and kill you with a Stroke of Genius/Blue Sun's Zenith, etc.

How Sundering Titan and Drana goes for you? I can see a Titan making it in, but I haven't found any useful situation for Drana yet
    They're a little on the weak side, but they have their uses. Sundering Titan + Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth ensures you never have to blow up your own lands, and allows you to destroy lands like Gaea's Cradle, Academy Ruins and Maze of Ith. Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief is useful for her ability to kill multiple creatures. She also functions as another win condition if you get infinite mana.

You could cut either card and the deck wouldn't lose much. I haven't found anything better, but I'll take suggestions as always.

Flamenco Apprentice
    Apr 2007
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post

What sort of mill decks are you facing? Kozilek, Butcher of Truth doesn't protect you from Helm of Obedience/Leyline of the Void, or Oona, Queen of the Fae. It usually won't save you from Mind Over Matter/Temple Bell either, because once your opponent draws his deck he can usually go infinite mana and kill you with a Stroke of Genius/Blue Sun's Zenith, etc.
    Basically Tunnel Vision and a Teysa, Orzhov Scion + Darkest Hour + Altar of Dementia combo. Also, I like Kozilek more than I like Ulamog. He's bigger, cheaper, gives me huge card advantage and it's easier to deal if some opponent casts Bribery on me, assuming that my only answer is a Damnation. In the end I think that's only personal preference.
    Last edited by Lemuria; 09-22-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

I've got an Imperial Seal coming in the mail. This makes the final Innistrad changes:

- Karn Liberated
    - Necropotence
    - Wasteland

+ Bloodgift Demon
    + Imperial Seal
    + Snow-Covered Swamp

Flamenco Apprentice
    Apr 2007
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    I've got an Imperial Seal coming in the mail. This makes the final Innistrad changes:

- Karn Liberated
    - Necropotence
    - Wasteland

+ Bloodgift Demon
    + Imperial Seal
    + Snow-Covered Swamp
    Wow Imperial Seal!!!!! One day I'll work my ass out to get one for my deck and one for our Cube Draft.

So, how does your list looks like after Innistrad? Are you going to use the new Liliana?

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

The list in the OP is my current list. I update it every time I make a change.

I won't be using Liliana of the Veil because this deck doesn't protect planeswalkers well. Most games I'll activate her once and then she'll die. With Liliana Vess at least my one activation is a tutor. With Liliana of the Veil I'm not getting that kind of value.

Thread Information